What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

El Cid is an amazing score. In probably Rosza's top three.

Justin - Who needs to listen to King of Kings again.

So does Horner......coughcoughZorrocoughcough...

I have the Chapter III and the re-recording of this wonderful score.

:|

Ransom - Goldsmith, I swear I'm listening to a Barry scored Bond film at times.

Bad Girls - Goldsmith, Nice rousing theme but the action music sounds like a companion to Rambo or Total Recall.

Hope fully this afternoon I'll be listening to:

Ghostbusters - Bernstein, that cracking sound will be my bootleg going out the window...

An Almost Perfect Affair - Delerue, he wrote some of the most beautiful music.

And whatever else I ordered from Varese.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rediscovered A.I. yesterday. I had it on a loop for the better part of the afternoon. A gorgeous score.

- Marc, who needs to get his hands on the Oscar promo.

The Academy Promo is really worth hearing. The unreleased music is gorgeous and adds tremendously to the depth of the score. If fact I do not listen to the original album anymore. The score is simply one of the best Williams has composed in recent years.

how do u get ur hands on the Promo?

Well, almost everyone here who was around in 2002 has that promo ;)

Just listened to the LOST cd which arrived today... good stuff :) You really have to listen for the details, there are many cool things in there, scary stuff, weird stuff, and also some really breathtaking drama/adventure cues.

-Chris

Just listened to the LOST cd which arrived today... good stuff :) You really have to listen for the details, there are many cool things in there, scary stuff, weird stuff, and also some really breathtaking drama/adventure cues.

-Chris

Sounds good. This varese releases are only available thru their website?

I listened to Taxi Driver and then By Request: The Best of John Williams and the Boston Pops.

A bit of a jarring change in styles there, but I enjoyed them both. :) Taxi Driver definitely works less well on CD than it did in the film though, IMO.

I just barely got done with the full score from The Matrix Revolutions by Don Davis. I don't care what anyone else says that score is pure genious and is awesome. It's also very under-rated.

Funny... I just listened to The Matrix Reloaded. I love all the Matrix scores (but none of the albums no them justice). I think I played "Burly Brawl (alternate)" three times in a row - it's brilliant! I'll try and listen to the other two today, but I'm pretty sure Reloaded is my favourite.

Just got the LOST score, I'm so happy Locke's walkabout theme is on the album but I hate that Charlie's moth theme isn't.

Ah well

Funny... I just listened to The Matrix Reloaded. I love all the Matrix scores (but none of the albums no them justice). I think I played "Burly Brawl (alternate)" three times in a row - it's brilliant! I'll try and listen to the other two today, but I'm pretty sure Reloaded is my favourite.

Sometimes we think a like hehe. Speaking of which wasn't I the one who sent you the full scores?

Edit: By the way I agree that their OST's didn't do the scores justice at all. I was very disappointed with the lack of music The Matrix Reloaded had as well as The Matrix. These are another set of scores I think deserve a proper full release.

Just listened to Rosewood last night and I always forget how engaging score it is. Williams creates a very distinctive athmosphere in it and the gospels add a nice touch.

The History of Violence. A nice score even if it sounds like LOTR. But as LOTR sounds like Shore and not the other way around then I should say it sounds like Shore :) Tom's theme is little too close to Hobbiton in my opinion but it is a nice pastoral theme. Shore seems to be still in Middle-Earth. :mrgreen: And there is a plethora of Shoreisms in the rest of the score. As I have listened to more of the man's work I have begun to spot these things more often. After listening to LOTR scores so much I felt very much at home with this score.

Looking for Richard. Another Shore score. This is the precursor of LOTR music. There are motifs and little musical devices that appear later in different guise in LOTR. But it is a very sombre and powerful with epic chorus and orchestra. I recommend it to any Shore fan.

Silence of the Lambs. Chilling and bleak score. Very good for the film but as a listening experience it is taxing.

Snow Falling of Cedars. JNH's intimate and subtle score that occasionally rises to magnificent heights. Nothing is more impressive than the cue called Tarawa where the choral majesty is simply awe inspiring. He did similar work for Atlantis with as much success.

Hey, La-La Land Records is releasing "BREAKHEART PASS" by Jerry Goldsmith in April, which is a Western score apparently (I'm not familiar with either the movie or score). Can anyone here comment about how good or bad the score is, and would it be worth getting?

Tim

I just got done listening to Ron Jones' Star Trek The Next Generation The Best Of Both Worlds score. I haven't listened to this score literally in years it was nice to hear it again. All though I must admit it was a bit weird how he set up the positions of the instruments. I think only one cue was missing from the score...the "Personal Log" cue that Riker gave after the "Energy Weapon Fails" cue.

The History of Violence. A nice score even if it sounds like LOTR. But as LOTR sounds like Shore and not the other way around then I should say it sounds like Shore :P Tom's theme is little too close to Hobbiton in my opinion but it is a nice pastoral theme. Shore seems to be still in Middle-Earth. :) And there is a plethora of Shoreisms in the rest of the score. As I have listened to more of the man's work I have begun to spot these things more often. After listening to LOTR scores so much I felt very much at home with this score.

Indeed. I was stunned how similar it sounded to the LOTR scores, when the two movies couldn't be more different. I don't think Tom's theme fitted the characters that well. IT's jut too naive.

Conan the Barbarian. IT's great how "ancient" the music sounds. And the score just seems so honest, so beautifully restrained (and this may be a strange adjective for this score). It really sounds genuine.

Romão, who misses fantasy films with grainy cinematography.

Small Soldiers (Complete)

Just got it, and I have to say, it's definitely the most charming score Goldsmith's written. It's so "cutely heroic" I love it.

I'm listening to the End Credits track from Star Trek First Contact right now. I of course listened to everything else in the score. I was in a Star Trek 'mood' so I decided to play this one.

I just heard SUN: Soul of the Ultimate Nation score by Howard Shore and it was great. Not LOTR caliber but very good indeed. Biggest surprise was the use of theremin which at first sounded strange but after few listenings it adds a nice touch to the score. A very good effort from Shore. But a even more epic touch would have been nice IMO.

I can still hear few Shore trademarks in the score. His rising 5 note Doom/Danger motif is getting little old. It is becoming his calling card in his serious scores.

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. I just finished a pseudo-complete version, which includes the OST and the isolated DVD material.

Great stuff. No other Goldenthal has compelled me as much as this score has, from start to finish. Fantastic score.

Tim

Lost - Giacchino

An Almost Perfect Affair - Delerue

Cast A Giant Shadow - Bernstein

Left Hand Of god - Young

Young Sherlock Holmes - Broughton - this score is tad bit overated, with the exception of it's main theme the score lacks alot until the second half of the film where it gathers steam. But still not as great as many claim.

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.  I just finished a pseudo-complete version, which includes the OST and the isolated DVD material.

Great stuff.  No other Goldenthal has compelled me as much as this score has, from start to finish.  Fantastic score.

Tim

I could not agree more. From material I have heard from Goldenthal(which is not alot) only Titus can compete with Final Fantasy. And Titus has elements that are very off beat as the score jumps between genres with such a hurry so it makes a little more disjointed listening experience than FF.

Toccata and Dreamscapes is still something I rarely listen to. It has such mayhem and brute force that listening to it can be tiresome to the ears.

The Soul of the Ultimate Nation keeps growing on me more and more on each listening. I am turning into a Howard Shore fan quite fast. ;) LOTR just opened my ears to this man's music. There are many gems throughout his career but many mediocre and bad scores as well. I could say I have given Shore's music a chance and it payed off.

:( Jango's Escape from SW Episode II Attack of the Clones

I don't own any other Shore scores other then his "Ring" cycle and The Aviator. I remember liking the title music to Panic Room when I saw it in the theater, and each subsequent viewing on DVD.

Tim

You should try Looking for Richard and Dogma. Big is also a fun score and little change from all that doom and gloom Shore so often does. Philadelphia is also worth a listen.

Mission to Mars - Ennio Morricone

one of my favorite scores ever.

Do you know if the "Complete" bootleg is any good?

Tim

i don't have that so i don't know.

The Perfect Storm. I like it, and that's enough for me. Not one I listen to very often, but good to give a spin from time to time. :(

Die Another Day (complete). Turned it off halfway through, when I just got too tired with the drumloops and electronics. Turned on Tomorrow Never Dies instead. Now there's a kick-ass Bond score all the way through.

I also put on Perfect Storm from time to time, nice score. I'm on a random listen these days but JNH's Snow Falling on Cedars caught my attention big time last night.

Aside, I got a ton of new stuff recently, but haven't had time to listen to most of it. Here's a summary:

Lost - some good stuff, but the action stuff is really weird ('Getting Ethan' anyone?)

Robots - I used to think this was a bit too wacky, but it's actually kinda fun with a couple of catchy themes.

Tigger Movie (HGW) - well, it's HGW and a few tracks sound fun. I'll get back on this one ;)

Ransom (Horner's and Shore's rejected) - I got the movie on DVD recently so I haven't really listened yet.

The Mask of Zorro - Legend rocks so I'm giving the original a try.

Ice Age 2: The Meltdown - nothing that's blown me away but I like some of Powell's stuff and it's a nice b/g listen.

From Dusk Till Dawn - I like the three songs by Tito & Tarantula in the movie so I have to give the score a chance.

Tombstone (Broughton) - Wow. Only heard a few tracks but I'm very impressed.

Dinotopia - marvellous stuff and the theme is heavenly :)

Sun: Soul of the Ultimate Nation - Pretty good, but many tracks could be temped into LotR without me noticing.

Plus I just finished ripping the Hollow Man iso score and barely listened to it outside of editing.

Die Another Day (complete). Turned it off halfway through, when I just got too tired with the drumloops and electronics. Turned on Tomorrow Never Dies instead. Now there's a kick-ass Bond score all the way through.

Yeah I have that same problem with DAD and TWINE to some degree.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got done ripping the isolated score for Superman so I listened to that. I know, I know it's not as complete as the Rhino/Warner edition but it has a lot better sound you got to give it that much.

This might compel me to listen to the Rhino/Warner edition now...

Fitzwilly. I haven't really sat down to listen to this in a while, but it's just a truly pleasant score to listen to if you have like 30 minutes to kill (I have the Varese Sarabande edition w/the The Long Goodbye tracks).

Tim

Michael Giacchino's Medal of Honour Frontline. A great and a fun score. Giacchino takes his original ideas to a more sombre and darker direction but still maintains that adventurous spirit that made the first two scores so great. His action writing is infectuous and there are few truly emotional pieces on the album that are almost too good to be written for a videogame (e.g. Arnhem After the Drop).

As many have pointed out Medal of Honour scores seem not to display Giacchino's own personality but I think that is wrong to say. He is deliberately writing Williamsesque music but I think his own personality shows in the music. He writes heck of a theme and motifs are very infectuous. I have noticed I have been whistling and humming them for days after hearing the score.

Michael Giacchino's Medal of Honour Frontline. A great and a fun score. Giacchino takes his original ideas to a more sombre and darker direction but still maintains that adventurous spirit that made the first two scores so great. His action writing is infectuous and there are few truly emotional pieces on the album that are almost too good to be written for a videogame (e.g. Arnhem After the Drop).  

As many have pointed out Medal of Honour scores seem not to display Giacchino's own personality but I think that is wrong to say. He is deliberately writing Williamsesque music but I think his own personality shows in the music. He writes heck of a theme and motifs are very infectuous. I have noticed I have been whistling and humming them for days after hearing the score.

I agree... :devil:

;)

The Adventures Of Robin Hood - Morgan & Stromberg re-recording

Star Wars

Innerspace - Goldsmith

The Towering Inferno

Memoirs of a Geisha...again.

This score has assured its place among Williams' masterpieces, IMHO. A trully magnificent effort.

Just picturing young Chiho running through the temple corridor with the Chairman's Waltz playing, or the cloth dancing in the Water, with As The Water playing, or the hearbreaking emotion of Confluence, or the spectacular montage of Becoming a Geisha. There are so many highlights.

Superman

A masterpiece I don't listen to often enough. I was really surprised during the 70s poll that many voting against this score in the final 5/4 referenced its "boring" parts as the main reason. I'm sorry, I don't hear them. This is totally compelling from start to finish, and in my mind the second best score of the 70s.

Memoirs of a Geisha...again.

This score has assured its place among Williams' masterpieces, IMHO. A trully magnificent effort.

Just picturing young Chiho running through the temple corridor with the Chairman's Waltz playing, or the cloth dancing in the Water, with As The Water playing, or the hearbreaking emotion of Confluence, or the spectacular montage of Becoming a Geisha. There are so many highlights.

You are preaching to a choir here :D Memoirs is just beautiful. From the first note to the last I find it captivating. After I saw the movie my appreaciation for the music grew even bigger. The water as the central idea in both the film and the music was wonderful and tied the visuals and the music together beautifully and gracefully. As the Water... is one of the highlights of the score for me but I do have to say it is a highlight amoung highlights :spiny:

I must go and listen to it again.

Geisha has been growing on me lately (and at the same time my enjoyment of Munich is lessening with every listen. I hope that'll stop). Becoming a Geisha is easily the best cue of '05 not in a George Lucas movie. And it's such classic Williams: taking a simple, hummable main theme and just putting it through its paces.