What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Michael Collins, and his Final Fantasy is just unreal. Titus is also a real ride.

Have you heard Sphere? My personal Goldenthal favourite.

Just listening to Marianelli's The Brothers Grimm, which I finally found in a local store today. Strong Goldsmith influences, sometimes clearly reminiscent of Hollow Man and Poltergeist, but very good indeed. I only remembered liking it in the film, but there's some thrilling stuff here.

Marian - :flush:

the Geisha soundtrack, of which I can't seem to get enough  8O

Same thing that happened to me when I bought War of the Worlds.

I don't know how the members here reacted to this score, but when I bouth it, I listened to it two consecutive times, which is a rare thing to me. I have a lot of CD of a lot of genres, so it's very rare that I listen to the same CD twice in the same day, and two consecutive times is even rarer. Aaahh, the powers of John Williams' music... :mrgreen:

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (Ultimate Edition)

The edits may be a pain in the ass, but what music is there is still brilliant. I wish we could have a full correct release of this score, to enjoy it in all its glory.

Making a "fixxed" edition is a painstaking process and I have done so once but not with the best quality tracks. I plan to gather enough will power to start editing TPM again. I was missing few cues but now I have all that I need to make my Super Ultimate Friggin' Final Version of Episode I.

I have been listening to Horner's nice Spitfire Grill, Rocketeer and Krull. All are good scores.

Dario Marianelli's Brothers Grimm has received alot of playing time.

Memoirs of the Geisha tracks have been under my scrutiny for a about a week now and the thematic

material has really grown on me. I love the score! Another beautiful dramatic score from Williams.

Good old Korngold's Seahawk is a infectuous as ever. I feel I could do some swashbuckling myself :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm currently listening The Eiger Sanction. But I'm posting because I listened to Under Fire, one of the greatest scores ever written. And Legend, which I never gave a real listen, but sounds like I could love it. Same with The Secret of The N.I.M.H, and The Blue Max.

• 3 weeks later...

The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex.

This one just keeps growing on me. Fantastic stuff! Can't wait to get King's Row and Captain Blood. Of the latter, what's the best version to get?

This one just keeps growing on me. Fantastic stuff!

This is probably my favorite Korngold score. I can't get enough of it.

The Russia House

One of the best soundtracks I have ever heard. Goldsmith was a genious.

A good score, but suffering from an overlong CD album. This is one score that would've been perfect for one of Varese's 30-35 minute releases.

What releases do exist of this one? I only have a few Gerhardt and Previn cues.

Can't wait to get King's Row and Captain Blood. Of the latter, what's the best version to get?

I still find KR hard to listen to, perhaps because of the missing track indexes (the Gerhardt CD is just a direct clone of the LP - one track for side A and one track for side B).

As for Blood, the OST (on Tsunami) sounds old but is still terrific. The suite on Marco Polo (or probably Naxos by now) is stunning as well and coupled with a nice Rozsa, an amazing Young and a very fine Steiner. Of the Gerhardts, I still only know the wonderful Ship in the Night from the Flynn compilation. And the Previn is nice but far from essential.

Any other recordings I should know about?

Marian - who still needs the DVD.

Strange that I just happened to stumble upon all this talk about Korngold, when, just moments ago, I was watching The Adventures Of Robin Hood. I don't have the score on CD, because I've only seen two incarnations of it. The re-recording from about 15 years ago, and one listing that claims its the original score, under Korngold's baton, but only has 5 tracks dedicated to that particular score (there are 29 tracks overall, the rest are from other Korngold composed movies). I didn't want to risk getting either.

Tim

The re-recording from about 15 years ago, and one listing that claims its the original score, under Korngold's baton, but only has 5 tracks dedicated to that particular score (there are 29 tracks overall, the rest are from other Korngold composed movies).  I didn't want to risk getting either.

The Kojian re-recording is great, but only LP length. Certainly worth having. The Marco Polo (out on Naxos yet?) is great too, the full score, and available on DVD-A as well. The Korngold OST can be heard as an iso score on the DVD.

Marian - who also recommeds the Gerhardt suite on the Errol Flynn compilation.

After watching it last night, I've been previewing Newman's American Beauty soundtrack on Amazon and it'll be going on my Christmas list.

Max

After watching it last night, I've been previewing Newman's American Beauty soundtrack on Amazon and it'll be going on my Christmas list.

Max

Good man, it's a brilliant score and one of my most listened to Newman scores :ola:

My most recent stuff (in order of discovery):

King Kong

FotR Complete

Jarhead

Narnia

And hoping to get Sean Callery's 24 for Xmas and I'll be checking out Horner's new Zorro score as I got a clip over MSN today.

Max

Good man, it's a brilliant score and one of my most listened to Newman scores :ola:

My most recent stuff (in order of discovery):

King Kong

FotR Complete

Jarhead

Narnia

And hoping to get Sean Callery's 24 for Xmas and I'll be checking out Horner's new Zorro score as I got a clip over MSN today.

How do you like Jarhead? I'll be getting it for Christmas but I've been previewing it on iTunes, I think it's just great pure Newman stuff albeit with electric guitar but it's still fantastic

Well I think he goes very wacky with this one, but it's still a good listen and its length makes for a nice 'session' when I want to listen to some funky stuff.

Some of it, especially 'Permission to Fire' and 'Jarhead for Life' has Lemony Snicket in it, but I also love 'Dickskinner' and 'Scuds', the latter of which has those great Newman dark strings like in Shawshank :ola:

It'll need a few more listens before I consider buying it but it's a solid score from him (although even by Newman's standards, there isn't any theme I've identified yet).

What releases do exist of this one? I only have a few Gerhardt and Previn cues.

Previn conducts Korngold in my opinion is awful. I can only comment on The Sea Hawk (Utah Symphony) and The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (Varese), but for me Previn's version is very flat and uninspired by comparison. It's nice to at least have a version of Captain Blood and The Prince and the Pauper, but I want a better recording. I'll have to keep my eye out for the Tsunami version... thanks for the tip.

I still find KR hard to listen to, perhaps because of the missing track indexes (the Gerhardt CD is just a direct clone of the LP - one track for side A and one track for side B).

Any other recordings I should know about?

If you don't have This get it now... you won't be sorry.

Well I think he goes very wacky with this one, but it's still a good listen and its length makes for a nice 'session' when I want to listen to some funky stuff.

Some of it, especially 'Permission to Fire' and 'Jarhead for Life' has Lemony Snicket in it, but I also love 'Dickskinner' and 'Scuds', the latter of which has those great Newman dark strings like in Shawshank :ola:

It'll need a few more listens before I consider buying it but it's a solid score from him (although even by Newman's standards, there isn't any theme I've identified yet).

There's a ton of little motifs in it, but I still wish the score was longer. The tracks I'm really enjoying right now are Listen Up and Desert Storm both of which provide two of the real big motifs of the movie.

Previn conducts Korngold in my opinion is awful. I can only comment on The Sea Hawk (Utah Symphony) and The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (Varese), but for me Previn's version is very flat and uninspired by comparison. It's nice to at least have a version of Captain Blood and The Prince and the Pauper, but I want a better recording. I'll have to keep my eye out for the Tsunami version... thanks for the tip.

I don't think it's "uninspired", but its inspiration is a very unusual one. Most of the performances are extremely slow (Blood less so than the others, but still noticeably). The slowness lets you hear many things that aren't so obvious in the other recordings though. For me, it certainly isn't the first choice, but worth hearing at the very least.

If you don't have This get it now... you won't be sorry.

Have it and love it. I actually prefer the tempos to the (slower) OST ones.

Marian - who adores Finlandia and still needs Tannhäuser.

;) I just had to put on Sea Hawk now. :thumbup:

Miklos Rosza's Oscar-winning score to SPELLBOUND and his exotic score to THE JUNGLE BOOK. Superb music from the 1940s.

Leonard Bernstein's WEST SIDE STORY as conducted by his one time assistant, the late, great Kenneth Schermerhorn. The recording on the NAXOS label is hard to beat at budget price.

:thumbup: Herrmann's TORN CURTAIN as conducted by Elmer Bernstein. Many thanks, Neil.

E.T.  (For the first time)

John Williams is god. :| That's all I have to say.  

Indeed. That's as close to perfection as film scores get, no matter what cryteria do you use.

:|:):eek:

Guess why you love Harry Potter so much! :P

Try to listen to any Star Wars or Indiana Jones sometimes too! :)

Mirko - who has just posted 3 eek emoticons and have yet to listen to Attack of the Clones.

Mirko - who has just posted 3 eek emoticons and have yet to listen to Attack of the Clones.

There are many ways to say this, but let me put it simply:

E.T.>AoTC.

:baaa::|:P

Guess why you love Harry Potter so much! :P

Try to listen to any Star Wars or Indiana Jones sometimes too! :)

Um E.T. still doesn't stand up to SS and I've listened to Indiana Jones and SW and both of those still can't compete with HP.