What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been awhile since I've seen Gladiator. But my impression in retrospect, which might be unfair, is that it was used sort of pretensiously. Gave the film an auro of high minded seriousness that wasn't really deserved. Though I guess given that the awards the movie won, it could be said that it worked. But, like I said, its been awhile.

- Adam

I have been listening to Midway for few days now and I can't understand what the March is doing on the album. It is heard only briefly in the main body of the score and never in that march rendition. It seems to be totally separate from the score. It is funny how Men of the York Town March theme is used much more in the score and it is not nearly as famous as the Midway March. Is the march used in the movie more (tracked or something?) or is it just a separate invention? It is a shame it is not used more since it is really an excellent theme.

BTW The album is getting better with multiple listenings.

Newly obtained albums(from local library)

High Road to China:Excellent Barry score.Full of adventure and some parts are very Bond like(in his late 80's style).

Scanners/Dead Ringers.Howard Shore.Very unpleasent listening EXCEPT for the Main Titles for Dead Ringers which I've wanted forever.

Lolita(Morricone).I got this because I saw the film on TV last month.One of the best Love themes I've heard in a long time(Love in the Morning track)the rest is rather bland except for one chorus cue.

Blue Lagoon(Basil Poledouris)I vagely remembered it but got it for the composer.Nice,makes you think of a deserted tropical island.

Star Trek Nemesis.Very Weak.I can't think of any decent cue on the album.not even that new theme in the end Credits is not very engaging or special.

Chaplin.Another nice Barry album in his late phase mode.Nice.Similar to Dances with Wolves.

K.M.

I have not even found ST Nemesis anywhere in Finland. Apparently it was not released here :angry:

I have been listening to Midway for few days now and I can't understand what the March is doing on the album. It is heard only briefly in the main body of the score and never in that march rendition. It seems to be totally separate from the score. It is funny how Men of the York Town March theme is used much more in the score and it is not nearly as  famous as the Midway March.  Is the march used in the movie more (tracked or something?) or is it just a separate invention? It is a shame it is not used more since it is really an excellent theme.  

BTW The album is getting better with multiple listenings.

The first time I saw it on TV, the march wasn't there. The end credits was the Men of York Town. But I saw the end of the film on TV many years later where the march replaced it. So I think maybe JW, in retrospect thought the film needed a march and he wrote the concert piece. Then some later versions of the film incorporated it, maybe because it was an often-performed orchestra piece. I'm not exactly sure about the story on that, though. I kind of like the origianl version because, like you say, it fits in more with the rest of the score.

- Adam

Inchon:Jerry goldsmith.

Quite beautiful,and the score is fully orchestral ,from Goldsmith's best year ever,1981.I can't believe I've never heard this one before.

K.M.Who can't wait for that dude who borrowed Night Crossing to friggen return it.

Inchon:Jerry goldsmith.

Quite beautiful,and the score is fully orchestral ,from Goldsmith's best year ever,1981.I can't believe I've never heard this one before.

K.M.Who can't wait for that dude who borrowed Night Crossing to friggen return it.

The hunt for new scores from the library is still on I see :thumbup: I did not even know Goldsmith had composed for a movie in question and in fact I do not know the movie.

I just listened a bit of Gabriel Yared's rejected score for Troy and I must say his score beats Horner's easily. It may be little old fashioned in few places but certainly much better and more grand than what Horner could do in two weeks. Some cues like the cue Mourning Women have unsettling and little too strong ethnic tint that would have been too much for the film IMO but mostly the music is rich with melody themes and genuine feeling. This is the best Yared that I have heard.

Let's see... oficially it was the last track from Hook, but the last complete album I listened to was the Silva Indiana Jones Trilogy compilation CD.

It's extremely grating in parts, especially missing notes in "The Basket Game" and "No Ticket", horrid orchestrations and harmonies in "The Ark Trek" (the Medallion/Ark "B" theme really isn't that difficult to transcribe, Nic) and seemingly wrong notes -- or performers running behind -- in "Indy's Very First Adventure".

The acoustics are distant and annoyingly muffled, the tempos mostly wrong (except for the slower love theme in the Temple of Doom end credits - the original was too fast I felt) and all in all, it was only just worth the AU$15 I paid for it. I dread to hear the Star Wars re-recordings, and if the rumours about the Indy complete re-recordings are true (were they announced as Silva/Prague Philharmonic/Raine? Can't remember...) they'd certainly be better than this sloppy effort for me to fork out the cash.

I avoid those Silva Screen compilations since usually the interpretations are bad and it seems that the orchestra does not even try to get it right. They do have good ones but most seem done with too much of a hurry. On the other hand Silva Screen has produced many good rerecordings like Nino Rota's Romeo and Juliet and Barry's The Lion In Winter.

:thumbup: Munich: Bearing the Burden

SpaceCamp. Love that main theme. I also love the one part (I wouldn't really call it a theme) that's repeated a few times. You can hear it at the :44 and 1:18 mark on track 8, conveniently titled "SpaceCamp". It's a quick rythmic passage. Many great tracks, like "White Sands", "Friends Forever" and "In Orbit".

I really love this score, and there isn't a down moment (except for maybe the "Training Montage" track, with some cheesy electronics).

Tim

I avoid those Silva Screen compilations since usually the interpretations are bad and it seems that the orchestra does not even try to get it right. They do have good ones but most seem done with too much of a hurry.

Most re-recordings I've heard either have completely different orchestrations or just wreck the tempo.

I sometimes wonder whether the conductor has actually heard the original, or whether it's deliberately done that way just so it's different to the OST :?

Been on a bit of a western kick as of late:

The Cowboys - Williams

Rio Conchos - Goldsmith

Take A Hard Ride - Goldsmith

Bandolero - Goldsmith

Hour Of The Gun - Goldsmith

The Comancheros - Bernstein

Bad Girls - Goldsmith

I sometimes wonder whether the conductor has actually heard the original, or whether it's deliberately done that way just so it's different to the OST :?

It's called interpretation. :P Admittedly, in many cases it's just bad playing, but being different can be a good thing for re-recordings.

Marian - :)

I seriously wished John Debney would have gotten the tempo right for the Back To The Future Trilogy re-recording CD. Hearing "The Clock Tower" sequences and "85' Lone Pine Mall" in those low tempos just made me cringe every time.

I agree.

Come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, COME ON VARESE, RELEASE THE DAMN THING! :P

I agree.

Come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, come on Varese, COME ON VARESE, RELEASE THE DAMN THING! :P

Soooooo.....what are you trying to say?

Tim

I really love this score, and there isn't a down moment (except for maybe the "Training Montage" track, with some cheesy electronics).

That cue is uber-80's, and I can't say I don't love it. :P

~Sturgis

There's 2 cues in the second half of Spacecamp that aren't so good: Max Breaks Loose and Andie is Stranded.The rest is vintage Williams,at least his style I like the best.

K.M.

For some reason, it seems like it's been a while since I really listened to one thing at once--just the same random playlists I always listen to--but recently I put on Superman after hearing it on the radio and now I've got the Indiana Jones playlist running.

:P "Underground Chaos" from TOD

Young Sherlock Holmes by Bruce Broughton. A very thematic, entertaining and exciting score that has that childish charm but also surprisingly harsh passages. The temple sequence is particularly wonderful with tha pseudo Egyptian ceremony chant that owes some of its style to both TOD Thugee ceremony and Orff's O Fortuna Imperiatrix Mundi. Broughton should get more scoring assignements.

Thirteen Days by Trevor Jones. A very good score for a political drama. Not a dull moment in the score.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

Awesome music for a brilliant game. I particularly love the End Credits music. And variations of the "Great Sea" theme (which in itself is a variation of the main theme). Twilight Princess can't come soon enough.

George Duning's Bell Book and Candle (from FSM). A lovely late-50s mix of eerie lydian atmospheric music and light jazz. I recommend it. If you like Reflections from The Reivers you may well enjoy the orchestral parts of this score.

Madagascar. Overall a waste of space. Zimmer's original score is under a dozen minutes and only 2 cues are Zimmer on solo. "Zooster's Breakout" is a surprisingly fun cue other than that there are a few fun inclusions (Chariots of Fire, Born Free, Staying Alive).

As Good As It Gets. This is just a nice relaxing score where Zimmer shows his talent as a composer. I also dare anyone here to listen to the first track on the album and say it doesn't sound like "Dinner With Amelia".

Justin

Project X-James horner:I ordered this from Varese.Wow! this music represents what is best about Horner,with beautiful soaring themes,incredible orchestrations and a rousing finale.It was composed before he fell into this rut of his new boring sound we have come accustomed to.

Raise the Titanic-John Barry.Again,wow,probably one of the pinnacles of his compostions,in the same vein as The Black Hole,King Kong and Moonraker,and with one of the most spectacular themes i've heard in a while.

K.M.

Lord of War-Antonio Pinto

Really short score but what I'm hearing I'm liking, also interesting that he plays in almost every track

I also dare anyone here to listen to the first track on the album and say it doesn't sound like "Dinner With Amelia".

The orchestration is rather similar.......

Last notable score I listened to is Randy Newman's Air Force One. A bristeling, brilliant piece of work. Goldsmith's is great, one of my favorite action scores......but this is just a one of a kind score. Except for Troy, probably the best score rejected that I've heard.

Jurassic Park.

I haven't listened to that score in a WHILE. Too long actually. It's a lot better than I remember it being. Not to say that I thought it was bad.

Which brings me to my next point. I still haven't gotten The Lost World. They've got that at the local used CD place. Should I get it?

I still haven't gotten The Lost World. They've got that at the local used CD place. Should I get it?

Hell yes!

Marian - 8O

;) In Dreams (Elliot Goldenthal)

The only reason I even questioned it is because I've only seen that film two or three times and don't remember much of the score.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

Awesome music for a brilliant game. I particularly love the End Credits music. And variations of the "Great Sea" theme (which in itself is a variation of the main theme). Twilight Princess can't come soon enough.

But that's not the credits music... the credits music is a variation on the WW title theme (the flute/violin jig). What you're describing is the music from the game trailer... I guess the composers modified the piece to the final in-game form because it was a bit too bombastic for cruising around on the wide ocean with nothing much happening for long stretches of time ;) The trailer had a tighter form and the momentum to keep the bombastic athmosphere going (and the shipping scenes where intercut with lots of other stuff).

But as you said, amazing score ROTFLMAO There where many eye-opening moments during the game when some familiar theme from LttP or eben LoZ appeared ;)

I still haven't gotten The Lost World. They've got that at the local used CD place. Should I get it?

Hell yes!

Marian - ;)

ROTFLMAO In Dreams (Elliot Goldenthal)

The only reason I even questioned it is because I've only seen that film two or three times and don't remember much of the score.

That's because much of the score was butchered in the film, and the most exciting action cue wasn't even used... GET IT!!

Another Dawn by Korngold. It had few nice passages but much of the score is reworking the old action material from his older scores. It did not do much for me.

Alright, it's not a score, but I just listened to the Slatkin/Peskanov version of Williams' Concerto for Violin and Orchestra, recorded with the London Symphony Orchestra at the end of '81. For the curious, it also has the flute concerto performed by Peter Lloyd.

I completely forgot how good this version was. It was the premiere recording and I think this kinda got lost in the shuffle over the years, and perhaps, completely forgotten once Williams recorded it with Shaham in '01. Luckily, I have both, and I must say, Peskanov is pretty good. He might lack some heart in his playing, but his tecnhical skill is a little cleaner. The tempo is a little slower in all the movements and the notes are done a bit more deliberate, as though Peskanov was playing it safe. But overall, I really enjoy this older version, and I hope they re-release it someday because I believe it's out-of-print.

Tim :thumbup: Arsene Lupin soundtrack by Debbie Wiseman

Tim  :thumbup: Arsene Lupin soundtrack by Debbie Wiseman

A great score! I was just listening to it myself. It is so gothic and the orchestrations are wonderful. Oneof my current favourites.