What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

Yes it is.

Actually at the time the first bootleg was leaked (not the World Record 006 version) I had read that is all David Arnold had at the time. He didn't have the final film version cue which he was asked to come in and re-score because they had completely changed that final ending sequence.

It is a shame the film version was not on either the first bootleg or the World Records 006 version.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Matrix (promo of course)

A damn good score that Don Davis wrote.  It's also probably the first score that I heard that has a good callobration between techno and vocal songs.  Don Davis wrote a very complex score for this film in my opinion.

I remember shortly after The Matrix came out I saw the OST at Borders one day (when I still living in Vegas) and I bought it.  I had not seen the movie yet and it was rare for me at the time (still kind of is) to listen to a score for a film I hadn't seen.  At first I thought it was just bombast loud sound and was wondering what the hell I was listening to.

Well I decided not to listen to it for quite a while until I had acutally scene the movie.  When I watched the movie for the first time (literally about 6 months later) with my oldest niece I paid close attention to the score and realized it worked pretty well in the film.  I also had noticed there was quite a bit of music that was left off the OST.  So I figured I'd give the OST another shot again and I started listening to it more and more.  I really loved what I heard after listening to it more.

When the DVD for the movie was released and I had read that it had an isolated score I instantly bought the DVD and ripped the score once I got home with it.  I loved the score even more since I was able to hear a lot of the missing music from the OST.  All though I was still disappointed since one track was not usable and some cues at their beginings or endings were not usable because of Don Davis' voice that over laped them.

It wasn't until recently when the real promo leaked and I was able to get it and I've been listening to it quite a lot now that I have every cue from the film in perfect sound quality.  

Anyways sorry for my long post...but I do give the score 5 stars.

:P:|

That's one way to say you disagree...  :|

I agree. My mistake. :P then :| and when finished :flush:

So, the Matrix score wakes you up with uncontrollable vomiting, then you flush yourself down with your own vomit just to avoid some music?

Pffff....that's nothing....you don't even go that extra mile to put yourself in the microwave, with the exploding finale.

Tim

So, the Matrix score wakes you up with uncontrollable vomiting, then you flush yourself down with your own vomit just to avoid some music?

Pffff....that's nothing....you don't even go that extra mile to put yourself in the microwave, with the exploding finale.

Tim

I know, Hitch usually goes all out. He's suprisingly lacking in effort this time around.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2-CD score for Star Trek Nemesis.

I'll admit when the OST first came out and I listened to it the first few times I didn't like what I heard. I took a break from it then started listening to it again a few months later and listened to it more and more. It slowly grew on me over time, however when the 2-CD bootleg came out it really grew on me then since it had been well after I had seen the movie (quite a few times) and I realized there was a lot of great music missing from the OST.

It's definitely a good score and having the 2-CD set version helps a lot. All though I wish the begining half of "Donatra and Shinzon" and the film version for "Shinzon's Story" (aka "The Dilithium Mines Of Remus") was on the bootleg...ah well.

The Omen - Beltrami

- Haven't given it a full listen, but I enjoyed what I heard so far. Doesn't hold a light at ALL to Goldsmith's version. However, there is a nice comraderie between the two.

Flight 93 - Powell

- Not so sure what to say about this. While I haven't listened to the last 3 tracks yet (didn't have time to finish it), the first half of the score is subdued Powell music. Not sure I want to hear slightly toned down action music in a film like this, but so far, thats what we get on the cd.

Da Vinci Code, The - Ziller

- I actually quite enjoyed this! Not my favorite Zimmer, but it was an ok listen.

Superman Returns - Ottman

- LOVE this score! No, it is no where near as brilliant as Williams but I enjoyed the subtle hints it gave to Williams' score. However, it was still a very enjoyable listen.

Not a score, but song:

All I Know - Art Garfunkel

- This has been stuck in my head since the finale of Season 2 of Nip/Tuck. Brilliant choice of song for the end scenes, and a nice song as well. Thank God for the iTunes music store!

Gah! I wish I had that. I'm stuck with the 1 CD and the movie. Better than nothing, though. I especially like 'Camelot' and 'Camelot Lives'

The late, great American composer Alan Hovhaness' AND GOD CREATED GREAT WHALES complete with whale song over the orchestral music. Relaxing music at its best.

:) Hovhaness' Khrimian Hairig, Op. 49

:P Aaron Copland: Music for Film - Leonard Slatkin / Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra

Mars Attacks,Elfman,I love it.

Gold Diggers,Joel Mc Neely.Borrowed that,another Williams style score from Mc Neely.I kind of like it.

Van Helsing.I HATE it .Has that Choir of Doom over overloud percussions we hear in every action movie trailer.Is Silvestri turning into MV?

Zathura,John Debney.Quite refreshing in this day and age.Thanks iGraves.

K.M.

Lady in the Water (have I mentioned before what a masterpiece this is?)

The Chronicles of Narnia: Recording Sessions - haven't listened in-depth yet but sounds like more of the same good stuff.

Also (actually on my waiting list) got Exodus, The Constant Gardener and a nice album called Wings of Song with classical pieces by James Galway, including a LotR suite.

• 4 weeks later...

Jaws 2- First listen

Holy crap. Holy smegging frelling fraking crap. How have I gone so long without listening to this? This is amazing. The action, the tense moments, the perfect use of the Orca and shark themes. Unlike the original, which I both like and respect but can get rather dull the first half, this one gets you in it's grip and never lets go the whole time. This is an absolute home run. If you haven't listened to this, whether or not you like the original, do it now.

The CD in only 40-something mintues. How much unreleased is there. Is it just general underscore or shark theme or are there some gems in there? Sorry to gush but this one really hit home with me.

Joe, you and I disagree on many things, but here's something that I can agree with you 100%.

John- who had to go to page 3 to find this thread 8O

I was going to mention it.

I especially like the first part. The end credits from the original was already gorgeous, but this one just blew me away.

- Marc, who will listen to it now.

Jaws 2- First listen

Holy crap. Holy smegging frelling fraking crap. How have I gone so long without listening to this? This is amazing. The action, the tense moments, the perfect use of the Orca and shark themes. Unlike the original, which I both like and respect but can get rather dull the first half, this one gets you in it's grip and never lets go the whole time. This is an absolute home run. If you haven't listened to this, whether or not you like the original, do it now.

The CD in only 40-something mintues. How much unreleased is there. Is it just general underscore or shark theme or are there some gems in there? Sorry to gush but this one really hit home with me.

Joe, you and I disagree on many things, but here's something that I can agree with you 100%.

John- who had to go to page 3 to find this thread  ;)

Your first listen!?!?!?!?!!?

My goodness, I'm glad you enjoy it though. It is a wonderful score.

X-men 3 - John Powell

Best score of the series. I especially love the track "Phoenix Rises" with its use of the Dies irae poem and the choral version of the Phoenix theme. Bloody amazing!

X-men 3 - John Powell

Best score of the series. I especially love the track "Phoenix Rises" with its use of the Dies irae poem and the choral version of the Phoenix theme. Bloody amazing!

I prefer Dark Phoenix's Tragedy, even though it's cut off short*; the choir during the finale is a bit too bombastic and IMHO more cheesy than helpful. A problem at some (few) points throughout the score.

*) Even though it's somewhat cut short. That's the score's other problem, in many cases, I get the feeling that the movie dictated the flow (or, in these cases, non-flow) of the music too strictly. Otherwise, a very good score with some great standout moments, which actually gives me confidence that Powell has the potential to write more great music in the future.

I'm not happy with the sound of the CD though. It's powerful alright, but it sounds like it was recorded out of phase or something - when listening via headphones, nearly all the instruments seem to be either on the far left or on the far right.

A couple of new scores and relistened/caught up on some earlier gems:

Debney: The Ant Bully, Zathura (both amazing)

James Newton Howard: Grand Canyon, Freedomland, The Interpreter (all very underrated)

Alan Silvestri: Identity, Blown Away (beautiful vocal opening the latter)

JW: Seven Years in Tibet (I find most of the score boring but I love Regaining a Son)

Far and Away (OST and Vol. 2 boot)

Quite a lovely little score, this. Good main theme, some real highlights. The Land Race deserves all the priase it gets.

Nixon

Eh. :?

I got by Elmer Bernstein Film Music Collection a few days ago - I haven't worked my way through everything yet, but here's what I have listened to:

Helen of Troy/A Summer Place (Max Steiner)

Helen of Troy is fantastic, as is the re-recording. I've never seen the film or heard the original recording, but I can't imagine it being much better than this. As for A Summer Place... of course the theme has become a cliche now, but the rest of the score is pretty nice.

To Kill a Mockingbird (Elmer Bernstein)

Of course I knew this score was fantastic, from hearing it in the (excellent) film as well as the Varese re-recording. I like this recording at least as much as the Varese. I might listen to both later to see if one stands out as better.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (Bernard Herrmann)

A really, really beautiful score for a cute little film. I prefer the original tracks, though this recording is very nice.

Wuthering Heights (Alfred Newman)

Wow! I love this score. It's my favourite of the FMC discs I've listened to, definitely. I've never been a great fan of Alfred Newman (more because I've never listened to a lot of his music, not because I don't like it), but this confirms that I seriously do need to look into getting some. Wow. Wow.

Torn Curtain (Bernard Herrmann)

This score really could have saved the film - I really don't like John Addison's replacement score at all. I think I prefer the McNeely re-recording, although again I'll have to compare them later on. Really, really powerful and (I imagine) fits the film like a glove.

The High and the Mighty (Dimitri Tiomkin)

Wow, this score really blew me away. I love the main theme - I might try and see the film at some point to hear how it works there. This is the my second most-played FMC discs (according to iTunes), and is the main reason I haven't listened to lots of the other discs yet.

Kings of the Sun (Elmer Bernstein)

This really is an amazing score, in some ways not very Bernstein-like, but stunning nonetheless.

In conclusion, from what I can tell, this set really is AMAZING. I don't know if it's anywhere near selling out, but I urge anyone who can afford it to get it immediately, it's well worth it.

Amazing Stories Vol II.

Great selection although I think most people might be disappointed by Goldsmith's "Boo!" Too bad this was his only score for the series.

Was great to hear the original tracks to "Dorothy & Ben" by Delerue. A very touching score.

Rambo III

I have Intrada's original release of the complete score but since it was remastered I went ahead and bought it again. It does sound better but too bad they coudn't fix the performance by the orchestra.

A nice ending to the trilogy by Goldsmith.

I think most people might be disappointed by Goldsmith's "Boo!"

Really? That's a shame, the sample sounded great to me. It's on order anyway, so I'll judge it then. :)

And made by an asshole.

Actually, a friend at work was with me when I put in the I, Robot isolated score and played the Chicago 2035 moment. He asked whether 'this stuff' played throughout the movie or not. I wanted to lecture then kill him, but resisted with a simple 'yes'.

Going briefly back to SY in Tibet, I like the themes and a few other tracks, but that type of ethnic music just doesn't grab me. The same goes for Geisha to an extent.

Seven Years does contain some ethnic tracks, but the bulk of the score is pretty western. The development given to the themes in tracks like Leaving Ingrid, Aproaching the Summit or Henrich's Odissey is nothing short of astonoshing.

• 4 weeks later...

Star Trek: TMP (original album).

You may not believe this, but I never heard this score before (outside of the 1 or 2 tracks), because I never was interested in Star Trek really. Sadly, I have only this this shorter version (which is pretty good). I gets a lot of praise everywhere, but God, I didn't expect it to be THAT good! It suddenly reminds me why I hate most of today's scores so much. It's a killer! But you probably already know all of that.

Mission to Mars.

Morricone's take on Close Encounters. It is how Hollywood would sound, if it had guts. I like it.

Basic Instinct.

One of my all time favourites.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf

Probably the best quiet score of all time.

Karol, who really didn't expected to like ST: TMP score so much.