Let the poll decide: is ROTS a good score? Just YES or NO

Sandor

Is ROTS a good score?  

87 members have voted

1. 1.

• YES
    • NO

No comments please, but please vote (only once!).

And every member out there, active or silent lurker, please participate.

Thanks

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no tied at 7 currently, but before the long the clueless masses will affirm its a good score no doubt.

no tied at 7 currently, but before the long the clueless masses will affirm its a good score no doubt.

LOL LOL

You are having a really bad day Joe aren't you?

ROTS is a good score. Not brilliant but good.

Not great, but good.

"Star Wars and the Revenge of the Sith" is a great cue, a lot different from the stuff we hear out of John nowadays.

BotH and "Anikan vs. Obi-wan" are both good, too.

It's enjoyable enough.

~Sturgis

I'm sorry roald, the question is flawed.

It should be:

Is ROTS a good Star Wars score?

ROTS is a good score, but it's not a particulary good Star Wars score.

SW scores are not just your average scores. They are in the league of their own. That is a gift and a curse. The standard is high. And it is true not all the Prequels' music reach that standard.

Very good score with some frustrations, especially as it exists in the movie. But as a soundtrack I listen to it a lot with lingering disappointment over the liftings from earlier scores.

- Adam

SW scores are not just your average scores. They are in the league of their own. That is a gift and a curse. The standard is high. And it is true not all the Prequels' music reach that standard.

None of the prequel scores reach that standard and I honestly can't blame Williams.

TPM came closest though.

If only he could have taken Anakin's Theme further.

None of the prequel scores reach that standard and I honestly can't blame Williams.

TPM came closest though.

If only he could have taken Anakin's Theme further.

Who can you blame if not Williams? Well there's Lucas but he did just some damage.

For me the Prequels have very much SW worthy stuff but in some areas they are lacking.

I would venture to say that ROTS IS a brilliant score, both as a Star Wars score and in general. No, it's not as thematic as what we're used to in the Star Wars universe, but each listen has revealed so much of the depth and emotion to me that I can't help but adore this work. The use of chorus, the haunting violin solos...everything is so beautiful. For me, so much of it captures the essence of my all-time favorite Star Wars moment - the Luke and Vader duel in the throne room. It captures that passion and hatred, good versus evil, and all of the spirituality and emotion in that moment of music. The ONLY parts I don't care for are the General Grievous cues - other than that, I would proudly call it "brilliant."

As a film composer John Williams is very sensitive to the tone and feel of the films he is scoring.

He just didn't have much to work with.

That is true. But still he wrote many SW worthy moments in the Prequels and in ROTS in particular. ROTS has the most emotional musical moments in the entire prequel saga.

You are having a really bad day Joe aren't you?  

no I'm having a good day, as I am sure both Stefan and Neil can tell.

Hey - way to go Joe - insult JW fans on a JW Fan site....great one..... :roll:

Yes john Williams is a master film composer, so every one of his scores has moments of sheer brilliance.

But the prequels do not have enough, IMO.

Thank goodness for Howard Shore and his work on LOTR. :)

Damn you :thumbup: You know I can only concur with that LOTR statement.

But I like still the Prequels.

John Williams rules!

Hey - way to go Joe - insult JW fans on a JW Fan site....great one..... :roll:

your point Greg? I think many who say yes deserve it.

Revenge of the Sith isn't very insightful or original, and nor does it make any attempt to tie Episode III to Episode IV, but it is, for a generic score, great.

I'll say it again.I was dissapointed by the album.The apparent lack of thematic unity and re-recorded ESB duel music and Throne Room stick out like a sore thumb,but the expanded album is now 86 minutes(and that's with the Throne Room deleted from the End Credits).There's a lot of brilliant cues that make the whole thing work after all.The Boys Continue adds those kick ass variations of Battle of the Heroes not found on the album.Now Star Wars and the Battle Over Coruscant can be heard in it's complete form...a much better cue than on the album and one of Williams best action cues in years.Some cool motifs are showing up,like the Republic Fanfare in another Happy Landing and the military one in News of the Attack. Yoda Farewell is probably the second best rendering of Yoda's Theme after Yoda Lifts the X-Wing from ESB.Goodbye Old Friend is one of the best Force Theme based cues ever.It Can't Be(film Version),is just brilliant music,Williams at his very best..I Am the Senate,a cue which can't even be heard in the film mix,is just amazing,with a brilliant action version of the Emperor's Theme.And there's still a recurrent "dark side" motif which comprises most of the remaining unreleased music which I'm dying to hear more clearly.And the cue "Padme's visit",would add a whole new dramatic prelude to the anakin-ObiWan music.Also the Finale is very much truncated the album,losing much of it's impact,similar to what ended up on the Temple of Doom album versus the film version.

K.M.

Yes it is a good score and to be honest I never expected Williams to come up something better than the original trilogy. Not because I think he's in decline but sometimes it's hard to top something so special you did many years ago plus he's a different composer now.

Like Spielberg said, it was the perfect way to complete the saga, music just the same. Anakin's Betrayal is so incredibly beautiful and BOTH is a brilliant piece of music. A great Star Wars score!

I'd just like to point out that the originator of this thread is currently losing this poll.

Neil - who voted "No" after listening to the score twice this week

Are you saying that fanboyishness increases ones ability to like ROTS?

If so, wouldn't the fact that he's losing the poll strengthen his position here?

Or do you just like pointing out the fact that Roald's a loser? :angry:

Justin

I'd say ROTS is a very, very good score, but not "great".  We have to be careful what we tout as "great" these days, because most new things just don't cut it as fine.

Agreed. Listening to Anakin's Betrayal, there is no way that the score is not simply "good". However, it's greatness has yet to be revealed.

Justin - Who's enjoyed ROTS more than most Williams scores these days.

Agreed. Listening to Anakin's Betrayal, there is no way that the score is not simply "good". However, it's greatness has yet to be revealed.

What the hell are you talking about?

The score has been out for half a year, you have listened to it countless times.

It is what it is, it's not like cheese that ripes with age, it's not gonna change in any way shape or form.

Your perception of it may chance, but the notes sure as hell ain't gonna.

Stupid fanboy gibberish!

It is what it is, it's not like cheese that ripes with age, it's not gonna change in any way shape or form.

I've had countless experience of listening to music where it DID "ripe with age". The music doesn't change, but WE do. That's how it works.

Yes that is my point.

The way we judge a piece of music is because of our own experiences and emotions. A statement like However, it's greatness has yet to be revealed. doesn't make any sense to me because of that.

We might come back to a piece of music with a different perspective though.

It is us who are ripening.

that's why we need to shower daily.

When I first heard it I said no... when I first saw the movie... I said maybe... then I started working on creating the complete score... and I slowly grew this new appreciation for what John Williams had done for the music in Episode III and how a lot of the intricacies and subtlety had been lost in the album or film versions...

I don't think it was his best score--like the part where anakin says to padme "No... I promise!" and the orchestra swell...and then I think it cuts to the opera scene... kills me everytime... I'm like... "You're pumping emotion out of a dead horse... not gonna work..." hated that moment... but there are other moments where I cried my eyes out!

So... ultimately... yes.. but almost no lol

and only because you quantified it as a "good" score...

I voted yes cause the question was about being good, and I have no doubt about that. If the question had been about being great, then I would have had my doubts. It has great moments but it's not a great score.

I voted yes because I fell in love with the score instantly when I heard version that got leaked out a month prior to the initial release of the OST. I knew before I listened to it, that it was going to be a great score and it lived up to my expectations.

To this day I still love it and it's defintely become my favorite Star Wars score.

Edited for typos

Er... there is 1% missing in the poll:

80% + 19% = 99%...

Well we don't need not stinking 1%! We have won! Wohooo! ROTS is a good scorein the eyes of JW fans! It is official!