Lost

Mr. Breathmask

Y'know, it's really not a bad episode at all. Aside from its rather slow pace and Jack's continuing annoyingness, it does have a nice old-school flavor, and it does get us one step closer to events that'll happen later on. And I love Hurley's Obi-Wan line. :eek:

EDIT: It's also amazing how many things in "Lighthouse" mirror the fans' thoughts. That's one of the things that's so great about Damon and Carlton, and the whole team - they know they've got a lot of rabid fans like us, and instead of letting that go to their heads, they use it to help make the show better.

Jack's description of why he came back to the Island was touching, too. Unfortunately, I'd been hoping that it'd fix him, too...back in the olden days, I actually liked the character! :ola:

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was my favorite in the beginning, too. I suppose he was kinda supposed to be. He had imperfections from the start, and he could even be annoying like he often is now, but there was something about him that made me very sympathetic toward him. "Through the Looking Glass" was that Jack's swan song - no Dharma station pun intended. Matthew Fox perfectly nailed both the heroic leader making tough decisions on the Island and the broken junkie desperate to be mended...and then it was all downhill from there. We increasingly saw nothing but Jack's stubborn, violent, obsessive side - a side that was there from season 1, but that had originally been balanced by the moments in which he was a sensitive, likable guy.

::shrug:: Oh well. They made up for it with Sawyer, whose transformations over the past five (plus) seasons have been amazing to watch. He's still the same human being he was in the beginning, but he's grown so much. Granted, I actually haven't been that fond of Josh Holloway's performance this season so far, but it's hardly been bad.

Jack has been my favorite since the beginning. Annoying at times, thick-headed, one of the only ones without constant ulterior motives, and I feel like most consistently has the best of the group in mind. Especially in the beginning he was very good, as he was trying to make very, very hard decisions with virtually no info, and it was great to watch. But even still, I feel like it is the same person, though without people to lead, or exterior stuff the 'fix,' which kind of highlights what I think his ex-wife said quite a while ago that he just always needs something to fix. Without that, he can admittedly sometimes appear pretty think-headed. But I still feel like he comes across as a believable and even interesting character.

Press release for tomorrow's episode:

SAYID IS FACED WITH A DIFFICULT DECISION, ON ABC'S "LOST"

"Sundown"

Sayid is faced with a difficult decision, and Claire sends a warning to the temple inhabitants

, on "Lost," TUESDAY, MARCH 2 (9:00-10:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Lost" stars Naveen Andrews as Sayid, Nestor Carbonell as Richard Alpert, Emilie de Ravin as Claire, Michael Emerson as Ben, Jeff Fahey as Frank Lapidus, Matthew Fox as Jack, Jorge Garcia as Hurley, Josh Holloway as Sawyer, Daniel Dae Kim as Jin, Yunjin Kim as Sun, Ken Leung as Miles, Evangeline Lilly as Kate, Terry O'Quinn as Locke and Zuleikha Robinson as Ilana.

Guest starring are

Kevin Durand as Keamy, Anthony Azizi as Omar/Arabic man, Hiroyuki Sanada as Dogen, John Hawkes as Lennon, Andrea Gabriel as Noor "Nadia" Abed Jaseem, Kimberley Joseph as Cindy, Cas Anvar as Omer, Kailee Velasco as Eva, Aramis Knight as Sam, Peter Stray as doctor, Salvatore Abbadessa as cabbie, David Griffith as screaming Other, Mickey Graue as Zack and Kiersten Havelock as Emma.

"Sundown" was written by Paul Zbyszewski & Graham Roland and directed by Bobby Roth.

"Lost" is broadcast in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC's selected HDTV format, with 5.1-channel surround sound and Spanish subtitles via secondary closed captioning. A TV parental guideline will be assigned closer to airdate.

I guess whatever I read before that said Jack Bender was directing tonight's was wrong.

Here are 3 clips from tomorrow's episode:

http://www.youtube.c...ch?v=3czxHbfrS8

"Sundown":

Hmm, okay, well, all of a sudden, I feel a lot better about this season.

I don't know if it's simply because I've always been partial to Sayid episodes, but I thought that was a pretty awesome episode.

that was an awesome episode

It was, and a big part of the reason for that (I think) was that in the flash-sideways stryline, I was immediately invested, interested, and entertained. I still don't quite know the specifics of how that plotline meshes with the on-the-island plotline, but it didn't matter; in and of itself, it was compelling drama.

And the island side of the episode ... well, just terrific. The tension between Kate and Claire was compelling, the fight scene between Sayid and Dogen was brutal (in the best From Russia With Love tradition), Sayid's confrontation of "Locke" was great, and his ultimate showdown with Dogen and the hippie assistant dude was chilling.

To say nothing of the assault on the temple...

Great stuff, and hopefully an indication of how the rest of the season is going to play out quality-wise.

Also, was it just me, or was Giacchino's score even better than usual?

Yeah, the music was particularly good this episode, but Sayid's episodes always tend to sound a little different. Giacchino must just like working with Sayid's theme I guess.

As for next week, staying completely spoiler free..... I can't freaking WAIT!

First really good episode this season. Finally :blink:

The short scene between Sayid and Ben is great. :D

The creepy song at the end was awesome. Is it the same Claire is singing earlier in the episode?

Karol

The creepy song at the end was awesome. Is it the same Claire is singing earlier in the episode?

If memory serves (I'm sure Google could answer me for sure, but I'm too lazy), it's the same song Claire asked the prospective adoptees to sing to her child way back in season one, shortly before she backed out of the deal she'd made with them.

Wow! Intense episode!

So I guess we have our main characters in four different areas of the island:

-MIB-Locke/Claire/Sayid/Sawyer/Kate/random redshirts, and presumably they have Jin tied up somewhere... and where did Sawyer disappear to?

-Jacob's ghost/Hurley/Jack

-Sun/Ben/Lapidus/Ilana/Miles

-Richard - where is he hiding? How did he not make it back to the temple before Claire and MIB got there? Even Kate got back there before him!

Off the island, we still have Desmond kicking around. Plus of course Eloise Hawking and Charles Widmore. I'm anxious to see what all 3 of those characters are up to

Some pictures of next week's episode are online, I took a look at one just to satisfy my curiosity.

It was Jack and Richard in the Black Rock.

So if you don't mind that small spoiler, Jay, it might answer one of your questions.

Cool pictures!

So Richard ran back to The Black Rock, which is where (I believe) he's from anyway, and Jack and Hurley find him there. I'm glad a Ben-centric episode will feature a lot of other characters

How about this theory I have (not based on any spoilers I promise):

The visions of Jacob that Hurley are seeing isn't really a dead Jacob at all: It's the Man In Black. It totally fits into everything: He got Hurley to bring Sayid to the temple so that he could be "converted". He got Hurley to bring Jack to the lighthouse so that he could destroy Jacob's mirrors. Perhaps the "friend" that is coming is actually MIB's friend. Maybe that friend is Widmore?

You know that does make sense.

But didn't someone a few episodes ago mention he's now stuck in Locke's body, aside from being able to turn into ole smokey?

I still have a feeling that Jacob will be around, as important as his character was made out to be, he will have a final say.

I'm more interested in who is coming to the island and how the alternate timeline plays into the show.

That's what I was thinking for a long while, Jay. I've been assuming since the end of season 5 that almost every apparition of a dead person is actually the MIB. Now I'm not so sure...

And I thought that "Sundown" was certainly an improvement, although I don't think I liked it as much as y'all did. I was kinda glad to see Dogen and Lennon go, though...I'm sorry, but Dogen was a poor casting choice. Lennon was more interesting, but similarly unnecessary. I also agree that the flashsideways was pretty good.

All the "evil" acting has been fun. Terry O'Quinn, Emilie de Ravin, and now Naveen Andrews are certainly having fun with playing twists on their old characters. Terry O'Quinn, of course, is the gold standard in that, though. It's amazing how clear it is that this is NOT Locke, even though it's the same actor being shot in the same way in the same environments by the same crew with the same equipment.

Yea, I thought about the fact that Ilana told the group that MIB is now stuck in Locke's form, but:

-She could have been lying or misinformed

-MIB took the form of Alex very recently (though admittedly, that was before Jacob was murdered)

-Maybe Locke is the only "physical" form he can take - IE one that can physically touch and move things. Christian and Alex never touched or moved anything, and neither has dead-Jacob (yet).

I also enjoy seeing the actors play evil versions of themselves.

With every new episode it seems more and more that the timelines will merge. Jacob told Dogen he could reunite him with his son - who's alive in the alt timeline. MIB told Sayid he could reunite him with Nadia (or Shannon) - who is alive in the alt timeline.

I loved in last night's ep when all of a sudden, there were Ben/Sun/Ilana/Lapidus in the temple. I assume next week's episode will show us how they got there. The name of the episode is Dr. Linus, so I'm sure its not a spoiler to say that Ben will be the flash-sideways character featured (I know this episode was called "Sundown", and since episode 6 of season 1 was a Sun/Jin flashback, they tried to make it appear that this would would be too, but there's really no way to misdirect with "Dr. Linus" now is there :D ). I'm quite anxious to see non-evil, history-teacher-Ben in action :)

Terry O'Quinn, of course, is the gold standard in that, though. It's amazing how clear it is that this is NOT Locke, even though it's the same actor being shot in the same way in the same environments by the same crew with the same equipment.

I'm also glad that the writers are allowing every character to instantly know that this isn't Locke. The look-a-like device gets old faster than it creates suspense, and in a show where we usually know as much (or as little) as the characters do, it would be very grating to see them treat Smokey as Locke while we know he isn't.

But he wasn't Locke throughout all of Season 5 and everyone he interacted with then (Sun, Ben, Ilana, Bram, Lapidus, Richard) had no idea that he wasn't Locke. It's only been the characters who were busy time flashing that he's just interacting with for the first time now - so far just Sawyer, Jin, and Sayid - that recognize him right away. Though I do agree, it's nice the characters are for the most part caught up to what the audience knows :D

The previews for next week seem to imply

Ben is going to die. The words meets their demise were mentioned and I believe Michael Emerson hinted in an interview that Ben's final episode may be coming

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but

demise

could mean anything really. Not to mention the previews continually mention questions will be answered but so far we've had no questions answered. I don't trust them whatsoever in what's coming up next week.

The previews at the end of the episode are useless, half the things the announcers say don't come true, have the footage is from some other episode, etc. They are good at getting you amped for the episode but not for relaying actual information

Here's the LOST Untangled for Sundown!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=K3G3Dftvtc8

I'm sure we'll be getting more answers later on. These episodes are kinda setting up the answers.

We have gotten some answers already, though...or at least, what seem to be answers, but could prove false:

* You can change the past...sort of. :D

* The MIB is the smoke monster after all.

* Jacob had been bringing people to the Island, including nearly every main character on the show, so he could find a replacement.

* The MIB just wants off the Island. He doesn't care about protecting it.

* Healing at the Temple occurs in a big pool of bubbling water.

Obviously, the number of questions that remains is HUGE, but I'm sure the most important ones will be addressed, either directly or indirectly. And despite Carlton and Damon's comment about going into hiding after the show is over, I suspect they'll be willing at some point to answer many of the questions that the show doesn't answer.

that was an awesome episode

It was, and a big part of the reason for that (I think) was that in the flash-sideways stryline, I was immediately invested, interested, and entertained. I still don't quite know the specifics of how that plotline meshes with the on-the-island plotline, but it didn't matter; in and of itself, it was compelling drama.

It was a very good episode. I didn't find it *that* much more amazing than what we had so far this season, but then, I've liked all the eps so far.

Also, was it just me, or was Giacchino's score even better than usual?

Since the beginning of the season, I've been having the feeling that Giacchino has been spending more time fleshing out the scores.

The short scene between Sayid and Ben is great. :D

I loved how genuinely frightened Ben looked.

How about this theory I have (not based on any spoilers I promise):

The visions of Jacob that Hurley are seeing isn't really a dead Jacob at all: It's the Man In Black. It totally fits into everything: He got Hurley to bring Sayid to the temple so that he could be "converted". He got Hurley to bring Jack to the lighthouse so that he could destroy Jacob's mirrors. Perhaps the "friend" that is coming is actually MIB's friend. Maybe that friend is Widmore?

I can't recall: Did Hurley ever see Jacob while someone else was with him? If so, it (probably) couldn't have been the MiB, otherwise he would have been seen by everybody present.

With every new episode it seems more and more that the timelines will merge. Jacob told Dogen he could reunite him with his son - who's alive in the alt timeline. MIB told Sayid he could reunite him with Nadia (or Shannon) - who is alive in the alt timeline.

Perhaps the MIB does actually have the ability to "transport" people to the alternate timeline.

Since the beginning of the season, I've been having the feeling that Giacchino has been spending more time fleshing out the scores.

Me too. It's a nice feeling. :)

I can't recall: Did Hurley ever see Jacob while someone else was with him? If so, it (probably) couldn't have been the MiB, otherwise he would have been seen by everybody present.

Sure, Dogen was with Hurley in the Temple in "Lighthouse." Couldn't see him. And no one else could see Charlie or Mr. Eko or any of the other dead people back in LA. I don't see how that disproves the idea of it being the MIB, though - who says he couldn't create apparitions that only one person could see? No one else seemed to notice Christian way back in "White Rabbit"...

Me too. It's a nice feeling. :)

He cleared up his schedule a bit, didn't he? To finish Lost with a bang. ;)

Karol

With every new episode it seems more and more that the timelines will merge. Jacob told Dogen he could reunite him with his son - who's alive in the alt timeline.

That's your guess or your understanding, but what Dogen said was clear: Jacob saved his son's life, but in return, Dogen was to come to the Island and stay there to fulfill a mission, but he never could see his son again.

* You can change the past...sort of. :)

What do you mean?

* Jacob had been bringing people to the Island, including nearly every main character on the show, so he could find a replacement.

Given the source of this information (MiB), I'm not sure we can consider this a fact; maybe part of it is true but we're missing a major part, or it's just something he made up insteand of saying "Jacob is looking for someone that can put an end to the Ultimate Evil that I am; how about helping me kill everyone?"

I have had no major problems with the episodes so far, and still trust the team to provide us with a satisfyinf last season and conclusion.

This one was great-- and, like everyone else, the title misled me into thinking into focus on Sun( and Jin), which is quite appropriate since much of it had to do with manipulation.

Sayid's life in the flash sideways is not as rosy as we supposed it would be, as was the case with Locke and Jack: he did not end up marrying Nadya, after all.

Cool surprise: Keamy was the bad guy terrorizing Sayid's dumb brother (borrowing money from that kind of person sure is dumb).

Huge surprise: Jin in the freezer!

When I saw Dogen take out the dagger, I figured this was a special weapon, of the only kind that can kill entities like Jacob and Puffy, and have been trying to remember since then: did we see unnLocke give Ben the knife or dagger he used to kill Jacob? I don't remember.

In any case, this was totally useless on him, which is frightening.

Did Dogen really know it would not kill him, and believe this would get Sayid killed? The dagger must have been special, though, for it to have been so carefully kept and hidden.

Sayid's stories (Island &nd flashsideways) were very interesting.

I totally knew that Keamy would end up being the bad guy, since I saw Kevin Durand's name in the opening credits. Jin in the freezer was a huge surprise though!

Everyone here seems to be judging this season based on a fanboyish-need for gimmicky apocalyptic end season crap. You know, the kind of stuff that's awesome when you're caught up in the hype of the moment and they're fulfilling all your hopes for the end season, but then a year later you pop in the DVD's and go...blech.

I'm quite satisfied with the way this season is proceeding. The writers are clearly taking their own pace and path and picking their battles, rather than making it a "THIS IS THE END" Gimmick Fest.

An exceptional season thus far. And kudos for maintaining a reserved tone, as we expect from Lost, rather than whizz-bang shit-is-going down this is not the Lost you know...this is ENDLOST™ garbage a lot of writing teams have given us in the final seasons in the past.

And no one else could see Charlie or Mr. Eko or any of the other dead people back in LA. I don't see how that disproves the idea of it being the MIB, though - who says he couldn't create apparitions that only one person could see? No one else seemed to notice Christian way back in "White Rabbit"...

How could MIB appear off-island when he was bound to the island and wanted nothing more than to leave it. That doesn't add up, along with the vision of Christian Jack had off-island and the vision of Claire that Kate saw. I don't see why it's so hard to believe that Hurley can actually see dead people.

Did Dogen really know it would not kill him, and believe this would get Sayid killed? The dagger must have been special, though, for it to have been so carefully kept and hidden.

If we take Dogen's words literally (and we probably shouldn't), Sayid was too late. He was supposed to stab Flocke before he talked to him, but he did so only after Flocke had said "Hello, Sayid".

Michael Emerson, better known as Benjamin Linus on “Lost,” first creeped out fans of the show when his character was captured and imprisoned by the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815. And though Ben Linus may have been the one in the cell, he turned his captors into quarry with his mind games and creepy eye sockets.

Rewind 18 years, and young Michael Emerson plays Mr. Andrews, a prison counselor to a violent inmate named Higgins in a 1992 training video for prison guards (see video below). It’s a little unsettling. I keep wanting Emerson to mindtrick Higgins into shooting his cell mate, or for Emerson to be the one in prison, quietly driving the guards insane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDgbKJWDxcE&feature=player_embedded

Knowing who Ben is makes this really creepy.

And the blond lady looks familiar, too.

The previews at the end of the episode are useless, half the things the announcers say don't come true, have the footage is from some other episode, etc. They are good at getting you amped for the episode but not for relaying actual information

Here's the LOST Untangled for Sundown!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=K3G3Dftvtc8

Video has been removed by the user. :)

Great episode indeed. The Island stuff is definitely gaining momentum, building toward an exciting confrontation between the forces at work. In this sense, I see a lot of influences from Stephen King's novels (Darlton said numerous times that King's The Stand is one of their major references for the show), as the ultimate battle will be the final confrontation between Good and Evil.

However, am I the only one who spotted a slight reference to Episode III in this episode? The MiB lures Sayid with the promise of bringing his loved one back to life, luring him toward the "dark side"... then Sayid goes to the (Jedi) Temple and the slaughter begins. Also, when Ben tries to convince him to go away with him, Sayid looks at him with very Anakin-like eyes. Ok, these are motifs that were explored well before Star Wars, but it seems the writers are probably using the same materials as a reference (i.e. Joseph Campbell's A Hero with a Thousand Faces).

Great episode indeed. The Island stuff is definitely gaining momentum, building toward an exciting confrontation between the forces at work. In this sense, I see a lot of influences from Stephen King's novels (Darlton said numerous times that King's The Stand is one of their major references for the show), as the ultimate battle will be the final confrontation between Good and Evil.

I hope they handle it better. I loved The Stand when I read it, but I found the final part to be considerably less engaging than the rest of the book.

That last episode was indeed a satisfying one. Brisk pace, even surprisingly brisk, some great scenes and a real sense of urgency. I was more impressed by how the main plot developed and by how the main characters made their decisions of what path to walk. Kate went with Claire out of guilt and because of her mission to save her, Sayid chose to follow MiB because of his promises and presumably because he is now Claimed and partly under MiBs control. And Ilana came and whisked scared Miles away.

Even Miles got to do more than look bored as he has done for the past few episodes. He also illustrates the leader/follower attitudes in the group of Losties. He is clearly a follower, in a tough spot waiting for someone to say to him what to do. I am still waiting how he will figure in all of this. But it was nice to see how much his dialogue with Kate showed respect and affection for Sawyer after spending 3 years on the Island with him and how he regarded him as a friend, despite his outward sarcasm and uncaring. Miles' meeting with Lapidus was also great as I think neither had ever thought of meeting each other again. ;)

And it is pretty safe to say that the MiB is evil. But it would be nice to know is it because he was somehow driven mad by his captivity on the Island or has be borne this growing grudge over the centuries and is just hell bent on getting home no matter the cost or casualties or is he just evil incarnate, an entity representing dark where Jacob was light. His actions show considerable manipulation, his discussions with people are all about making then turn the way he wants them to turn and his actions weed out the people who stand against his wishes, no matter how noble and forgiving and reasonable he makes his demands sound. His talk with Sayid was wonderfully casual as O'Quinn's delivery is so down to earth, no overt slyness, but a hint of doubt for the actions of Sayid up until now, how he was used and how foolishly he acted. Classic temptation of the Devil scene, offering everything you want if you succumb to the same manipulation he just said you fell for from the opposition's side. Noteworthy is how Giacchino refrains from using the MiB theme for this scene but uses Locke's theme instead, as if to show us how the MiB is using Locke's form and his goodness to lull Sayid into believing him. Only after the Temple has been razed people have gathered around MiB, including Sayid and Claire, then Giacchino uses the MiB theme to illustrate how in reality the darkness has scored another victory.

And of course it must have been fun to die on the same show twice as it happened to Keamy and Omar. As the cast often jokes, dying in this show does not mean that you don't return. I think William Mapother who plays Ethan, has been in more episodes after the death of his character. :music:

Everyone here seems to be judging this season based on a fanboyish-need for gimmicky apocalyptic end season crap. You know, the kind of stuff that's awesome when you're caught up in the hype of the moment and they're fulfilling all your hopes for the end season, but then a year later you pop in the DVD's and go...blech.

I'm quite satisfied with the way this season is proceeding. The writers are clearly taking their own pace and path and picking their battles, rather than making it a "THIS IS THE END" Gimmick Fest.

An exceptional season thus far. And kudos for maintaining a reserved tone, as we expect from Lost, rather than whizz-bang shit-is-going down this is not the Lost you know...this is ENDLOST™ garbage a lot of writing teams have given us in the final seasons in the past.

We were disappointed with this week's episode (smoke monster in the temple, Locke and the dagger etc). Not only is this the millionth set of 'others' on the island thus far, but when characters start saying "you can have anything you want...", ugghhh.

It was better when they were exploring characters, not strange incarnations of them who don't die when stabbed

We're not really analysing the show at all, so this is really just a surface opinion, but my brother and I hope it's going to get a lot better.

I just rewatched "Sundown." Boy, is Terry O'Quinn amazing...like I've already said, he is just pulling off this role perfectly. I don't think of the MIB as Locke at all - he really seems like a different character altogether. I was sad when we realized that Locke truly was dead...but honestly, I think season 6 is giving this actor a chance to do even more.

Richuk, I agree that it's annoying having yet another set of Others, with these guys being even more declawed than their predecessors. The Others have gotten less and less cool over time. But as the paragraph above indicates, I have absolutely no problem with the MIB stuff. I do hope this season gets better, though...it's been fun, but not as amazing as I expected it to be.

I became a Terry O'Quinn fan from his role as Peter Watts on Millennium, and he was one of the major factors that got me to watch Lost when it premiered.

Boy, have I not been disappointed in him. He's just awesome, week after week and season after season. If there's any justice, once the series is over, he'll get some big movie roles, or another major television role.

Yeah. He definitely deserves it. I almost said that I'd always see him as John Locke, though...but then I realized that I've been talking about how that's not the case, even within the same show. :)

Hey check out this book coming out in August:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0756665949/jwfancom-20

Well I do like Lost but I have kept away from any merchandise apart from DVDs.

I am more interested to know when is the Season 5 soundtrack coming out! :)