NEW Star Wars Soundtrack Box in 2007

Dr. Jones

Hi folks!

Originally I've read this on a german Star Wars Site... but that's the original post:

http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/index.php?ca...2_articleid=846

That said, the only thing my source told me about the soundtracks is that they “…will not sound as good as the current discs. They will sound like every other John Williams 'muffled' release.” I’m not 100% sure what that means, exactly but I’m sure some of you soundtrack lovers and John Williams fanatics out there will know what he’s talking about. The status quo probably won’t take issue but if you already have them, you might not need to buy them again.

Hmm could this just be a rumour... well I don't expect something like the LOTR Complete Recordings

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they're gonna be all muffled still?

So my edit, once completed, will sound better? I won't be buying them unless they have a LOT more material and that booklet that the 2nd version of the SE's didn't have.

Return of the Jedi is laden with gaps...

There is also other stuff they could add like Radio Music adaptations of the films scores and such... concert arrangements...

There's always something my good man ;-)

Arent the SEs complete?

Star Wars is about as complete as you can get.

ESB is missing an 8-second alternate opening to Luke's Nocturnal Visitor (that could not be found), and the film version of the end credits, but I believe that can be edited together.

RotJ is missing the Max Rebo Band source cue (which is lost), the Jabba the Hutt concert suite (which I think has a bit of a shoddy history anyway), any version of Lapti Nek, any version of Ewok Celebration, and the film version of Victory Celebration. The sound quality is also pretty bad compared to the Anthology release.

I also think a complete release of RotJ might not fit onto two discs.

No, it wouldn't. My mostly complete playlist is almost 3 hours. Some of the tracks I have on another play list because there's no point in listening to 15 versions of the Victory Celebration and End Credits... So yea...it woudln't fit on 2 disks...

ESB is missing the film version of the end credits

whats the difference between the film and SE cd?

RotJ is missing the film version of Victory Celebration.

Again, film version?

Burga - not exactly knowledgable about this despite having watched and heard them countless times.

the SE's of the OT's don't really go by the edits in the film like the UE for Episode I did... they really try to present the music complete... and as it would be heard in the film (ie: no breaks between tracks, tracks that layer over eachother at points do so on the SE).

Film Version of Victory Celebration is longer... Not to mention being the film that had the most changes, the songs that were removed were not released on the SE and are only available on previous releases. Let alone things lost for good.

Worth mentioning is that Battle for Endor III has an alternate recording of Superstructure Chase... Whats on the SE sounds like a first run or perhaps a second run...the horns mess up which isn't present in the recording used in the film. Not to mention there are some obvious edits and obmissions in certrain tracks... such as the Battle for Endor tracks... II sounds like it starts halfway through a track... and the Battle for Endor Insert in the film had to come from something...

and if I remember, the SE of ROTJ doesn't have the Alternate Leah's News... (which is released on the Anthology but has an obvious edit.)

THere is also an alternate "Light of the Force" aka "Funeral Pyre for a Jedi" on the anthology lol

oye... I should just make a list lol

One can only hope that perhaps they will release more stuff...that perhaps more stuff has been found and that allthe hard work by John Williams, the recording artists and the performers wasn't complete disgraced and shat upon by George Lucas.

Together with the first sequencing post, a few additions of my own on RotJ in the original trilogy thread (on At the Court of Jabba the Hutt, and the film version of The Emperor Arrives), and Goodmusician's instrumental Lapti Nek files, I'd say we have pretty much everything covered concerning Return of the Jedi. The only thing that's missing that's of any importance is the first half of Jabba the Hutt, and perhaps Max Rebo.

THere is also an alternate "Light of the Force" aka "Funeral Pyre for a Jedi" on the anthology lol

The SE presents both the film version and an alternate back-to-back. I think it's the same alternate.

- Marc, who needs to listen to the Anthology again.

Indeed.

On the anthology, the alternate Leia's News is coupled with the film version of Light of the Force, and vice versa. I edited the alternate versions together and the film versions together.

And screensavers. And collectable cards. And new artwork. And, if we're really really lucky, maybe even a demo for the next Star Wars game.

We really are milking it, aren't we? :|

- Marc, who's mostly pessimistic so it can only turn out better than expected...

And screensavers. And collectable cards. And new artwork. And, if we're really really lucky, maybe even a demo for the next Star Wars game.

Luxury! We used to live in a matchbox in the street, work 28 hours a day only to get beaten to death once we got home.

You were lucky to have a matchbox! We used to live in a brown paper bag in a septic tank!

We really are milking it, aren't we?

It sure makes just asking for a proper complete Williams-intended score seem simple by comparison.

Until this is confirmed by legit sources (i.e. record label) I'll just ignore it.

Be kinda dumb for Sony to re-release the original trilogy when they just did it a few years ago.

Also would be dumb for them to sound worse than the ones available.

Oh wait..............we're talking about Lucasfilm and Sony and it will be Star Wars' 30th Anniversary, time to milk the cash cow.

Didnt Superstructure chase sound bad because it was not recorded at abbey Road, but another place with worse sound?

I want complete releases of all movies :|

But it may not happen. Its just 2 years after the release of ROTS, and for the anthology people had to wait 10 years after ROTJ...

All of RotJ was recorded at EMI/Abbey Road (except for Jedi Rocks - don't know about Lapti Nek).

ESB was partly recorded at Anvil Studios in Denham, and SW was recorded entirely at Anvil.

All of RotJ was recorded at EMI/Abbey Road (except for Jedi Rocks - don't know about Lapti Nek).

ESB was partly recorded at Anvil Studios in Denham, and SW was recorded entirely at Anvil.

Didnt that article about the recording of the SW OT, said that they couldnt use abbey road for that cue becasue it was being used at the time?

I don't know. All I know is the SE booklet merely says:

"Recorded at EMI/Abbey Road Studios, London, England

January 17, 21, 22 & 31 and February 1, 3, 4 & 10, 1983"

Here's the quote from that article:

The cue that accompanies Lando Calrissian’s flight through the inner workings of the Death Star (titled “Superstructure Chase” on the Special Edition CDs) was not recorded at Abbey Road. “We had to go to Olympic [studios] for a day and record there,” explained Eric Tomlinson. “And we filled the studio so full, we even had to put the piano on end so that we could get the last cello players in!” The orchestra in this cue sounds reduced in trumpet, horn and woodwinds and several performance errors can be detected. “I went down to talk to John Williams while he was conducting,” recalled Tomlinson. “And he just leaned over and said “it’s like conducting a silent film.” He couldn’t hear a damn thing in there.”

I'll admit I'm not into Star Wars even remotely as much as you guys, but do we need another release??!!??.

Well, if we're talking about a complete score release for the prequels (which we might), then yes, please.

Although I too would like to see some new Indy on CD (and no, I don't mean Indy IV).

The SE presents both the film version and an alternate back-to-back. I think it's the same alternate.

It is. There is an alternate Leia's News on the anthology which is not on the SE.

"Recorded at EMI/Abbey Road Studios, London, England  

January 17, 21, 22 & 31 and February 1, 3, 4 & 10, 1983"

Recording dates according to the LSO:

17,21,22,31 Jan. & 1 Feb. at Abbey Road.

3-4 Feb. at Olympic Studios.

10 Feb. & 5-6Mar. at Abbey Road again.

Since there are missing micro-seconds from Empire and Jedi, I am hoping that it is a complete set that has all the prequel scores, which wouldbe worth ever penny. if it is ANOTHER OCT set... I'd think that it would only be worth it if it was a completely new assembly, better sound quality, and chock full of alternates and unreleased material.

-Chris, Forever a sucker for SW re-re-re-re-eleases, mainly because my mom always buys them as gifts for me....

If it sounds good on my iPod, I’m fine with it. If it sounds good on the computer or whatever, great.

Is iPod going to kill quality releases? Why has highly compressed music become the reference for audio quality?

:(

So why is he complaining?

What I mean is a perfect sequence of music,IN ORDER,that starts at the beginning of ESB and concludes with Han Solo entering the rebel base on Hoth WITHOUT the "other stuff",which could be put elsewhere on the album.

This will undoubtedly be a third repackaging of the SEs and OSTs for the PT. They seemed to have really dropped the ball with releasing new products lately...

I'd like a version of the SEs that includes every piece of music recorded. I would like it in chronological order and not all screwed aroudn with like ANH SE was, but preferably without any irritating edits. Same goes for the PT. Give it to us as it was recorded in chronological order.

-Chris, Forever a sucker for SW re-re-re-re-eleases, mainly because my mom always buys them as gifts for me....

Hey no fair!

What I mean is a perfect sequence of music,IN ORDER,that starts at the beginning of ESB and concludes with Han Solo entering the rebel base on Hoth WITHOUT the "other stuff",which could be put elsewhere on the album.

I think the ESB SE is perfect. Some people seem to have some beef with the sound, but I actually think it sounds rather fine :spiny: I do agree with the consensus on some ROTJ tracks though

not to be rude BurgerFlippinMan, but you also think mp3's sound fine...

It may be weird, but I can listen to a file and tell you what file type it is...just by listening to it...

If you compare the Anthology to the SE, you will notice a lot of ODD changes.

FOr example, they sped up almost every track...why?

Imperial March is sped up, and also the bass heavily removed, not to mention the sound is focused in front rather than being as surround as on the Anthology...

It's like sitting in front of the orchestra with one of those Dog Cones on your head...

The only album I liked of the SE's was ANH... I felt that was the best done. ESB was OK... and ROTJ was just plain packaged shit.

Here's to hoping they package at least warm shit this time...

not to be rude BurgerFlippinMan, but you also think mp3's sound fine...

Its alright, because I really cant tell the difference between my CDs and 320 mp3s. Not on my crappy PC speakers, not on my JVC micro-compo and not on my NAD C320BEE amp+Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s+Marantz CD5001 CD player. Is it one of those things which you notice only when you know what to look for?

If you compare the Anthology to the SE, you will notice a lot of ODD changes.

FOr example, they sped up almost every track...why?

Imperial March is sped up, and also the bass heavily removed, not to mention the sound is focused in front rather than being as surround as on the Anthology...

It's like sitting in front of the orchestra with one of those Dog Cones on your head...

The only SW releases I have heard are the SE discs. Maybe thats part of the reason. :spiny: