• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Quintus

The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

3253 posts in this topic

Haha, this thead! JWfan members commenting on pop music is like children commenting on stock exchange. :lol:

Haha, this thead! JWfan members commenting on pop music is like children commenting on stock exchange. :P

Speak for yourself! Even so, I can totally agree with you ;)

Generally, a song is good in my ears if the chorus would make a great main theme for a score.

Perhaps then you would like this annoyingly catchy song. I lie really - I've against all the odds grown to love the damn thing! As for my reason for quoting you; listen to the sung melody at and after 2:06. The first time I heard it I thought it would make a really lovely secondary theme in a JW score*. Unlike many of the more die-hard members of JW, I consider myself to be a fairly normal and well rounded individual, both musically and well... in The Real World, so for me at least, the obscure connection I made between the two musical mediums is nothing short of a miracle! That's what I call film score fandom!

I've been listening to the new Coldplay album in my car since getting it, and I've come to the conclusion that it's pretty close to being brilliant. "Violet Hill"

Did you happen to hear the BBC Radio 1 Live Lounge cover of that record by The Kooks? Average band, brilliant cover. Better than the Coldplay original, dare I say.

*Original acoustic version of same song here. Some may prefer it to the official release, it's excellent in my humble op.

"That's not my Name" is the most irritating piece of rubbish I've ever had to sit through during a car journey :P

And yeah... I'm not really that normal.

Tell me about it! But give it time (as I was forced to by damn radio playlists) and you will grow to love it, that is an absolute certainty. It fits the pop music bill perfectly - it refuses to leave one's skull.

That said, I do actually appreciate this song now, its better than your usual drek.

The above two comments are exactly how I felt, before the tune was forced down my throat by the BBC. Now I love it!

Haha, this thead! JWfan members commenting on pop music is like children commenting on stock exchange.

And what do you know about the stock exchange?

How to count to two?

Scarlett Johansson has made a....shoegaze rock album...

Yeah but she's still hot.

I didn't mean it in a bad way. Its no cashing-in-on-fame Paris Hilton bubblegum pop. But its just....weird.

I really enjoyed the Mamma Mia soundtrack, enough that I bought it. I put this here since its not a score.

I can't wait to see Mrs Wesley sing and dance.

I didn't mean it in a bad way. Its no cashing-in-on-fame Paris Hilton bubblegum pop. But its just....weird.

I heard a clip from her on the web a few weeks ago. It was awful, she can't sing, not even slightly. Luckily, the same article contained a reference to the She & Him album (re: actresses who *can* sing), so I did get some good out of it.

I still need to get Zooey Deschanel's album, now there's an actress than can sing. Anyone who's seen Elf knows it.

I really enjoyed the Mamma Mia soundtrack, enough that I bought it. I put this here since its not a score.

I can't wait to see Mrs Wesley sing and dance.

I'm looking forward to that movie -- and I suspect it's going to do relatively well up against The Dark Knight.

I heard a clip from her on the web a few weeks ago. It was awful, she can't sing, not even slightly.

Its a textural thing. Its received mixed reviews on Metacritic, but then again some awful albums have been given insanely high ratings on it too. Lol

I haven't listened to anything since, but from what I've read, it's an album of Tom Waits covers. Now people have argued that Waits doesn't "sing" either, but just knows how to use his voice in great ways. The problem is that, at least in the clip I've heard, Johansson *does* try to sing.

Ah well. As long as she stays an actress... :happybday:

I haven't listened to anything since, but from what I've read, it's an album of Tom Waits covers. Now people have argued that Waits doesn't "sing" either, but just knows how to use his voice in great ways. The problem is that, at least in the clip I've heard, Johansson *does* try to sing.

Ah well. As long as she stays an actress... :happybday:

It is indeed a album of Tom Waits covers (and one original song). Oh well, I guess that if you dig that obscure genre its not too bad an album. And if you don't, you'll never hear it on radio (unlike Paris Hilton, Hilary Duff, etc).

The more and more I listen to The Beatles, I've come to realize that they are the greatest band ever. I've always put Pink Floyd and The Rolling Stones before them in my favorites, and that may still be so, but nothing can honestly compare to them. Their music just so emotionally affects me in any and every possible way - happy, sad, relaxed, excited - it's all evoked. Bob Dylan will always be my favorite, and IMO the greatest, solo artist, but as far as bands go, nothing can beat The Beatles.

I think it was Elmo Lewis, or Joey, that said in their entire career they never had a down moment. This is a true statement, I don't think they've ever had a bad album.

The more and more I listen to The Beatles, I've come to realize that they are the greatest band ever. I've always put Pink Floyd and The Rolling Stones before them in my favorites, and that may still be so, but nothing can honestly compare to them. Their music just so emotionally affects me in any and every possible way - happy, sad, relaxed, excited - it's all evoked. Bob Dylan will always be my favorite, and IMO the greatest, solo artist, but as far as bands go, nothing can beat The Beatles.

I think it was Elmo Lewis, or Joey, that said in their entire career they never had a down moment. This is a true statement, I don't think they've ever had a bad album.

John and Paul were geniuses. They forever changed the pop music world like Beethoven changed the art music world. Absolute genius.

Wish they had had the same ability at picking second wives...

I don't think there's any competition: The Beatles win the title of Best Band Ever by a mile. There are plenty of other bands that did some music that was as good; there are plenty of bands that did more total good music; and there are even a few bands that did a small amount of music that was better.

But pound for pound, song for song, album for album, they have everybody else whipped . . . badly.

Any Rilo Kiley fans here?

Burga - eagerly awaiting the lead singer's 2d solo album come September

I don't own any pop music albums or listen to it on the radio or TV

Mamma Mia is THE feelgood movie of 2008. So much so I've seen it twice already. VOULEZ-VOUS...ah ha

I heard this song on the radio a few weeks ago, and immediately went on a search to find out what it was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nf078KIy7g

Now the style of song really isn't my taste as I hate rap, but it's the melody starting at 0:36 and repeated a gazillion times, that just melts my heart. This song never fails to put me in a good mood. Would make a great love theme IMO, in fact I challenge anyone to listen to this a couple of times and not be humming it for the next week.

I don't own any pop music albums or listen to it on the radio or TV

What a sad statement.

Indeed.

Even saying this as a film music fan, you're missing a lot of great songs that frequently have the same effect as a great piece of score.

Truly great band, moderately funny spoof video.

But Led Zeppelin, The Who, and The Beatles trump any band that ever was.

I've got a road trip with some friends coming up in about three weeks, and since I'm driving, it's my job to come up with music to listen to on the way.

So, naturally, I'm making a hair metal compilation.

This has led to a weekend spent listening to snippets from awesome bands like Ratt and Warrant and Poison and Slaughter. I quickly decided that if I was going to get a four-hour trip out of this, I was going to have to redefine my approach to include some bands that are more metal and less hair.

Therefore, I've also been listening to Iron Maiden and Guns N' Roses and Anthrax and so forth.

I was a sort of a metal head in high school, but I had not listened to a lot of this stuff in close to twenty years. Mostly, that was a good decision on my part. (Did I really take "18 and Life" by Skid Row seriously at some point in my life? Can I possibly have been that stupid? Yep. Ouch.) On the other hand, I'd forgotten that somtimes, you just want to hear two electric guitars playing in unison. When you do, there's really no substitute.

This does not excuse "Cherry Pie" by Warrant, or "Girlschool" by Britny Fox.

I think regarding to structure classic rock music is probably the closer to Williams music than any other type of music. The way he uses the basses, the melodic parts vs. the accompaniment, the often rhapsody-like form, the use of motivs and counterpoint is all very similar to classic rock.

I'll get a headache if I listen to that through headphones.

My tastes are jumping around a bit at the moment. Anything from Michael Jackson (don't laugh, there are some great melodies and it's a nice nostalgia trip) to American country stuff and basically anything with a good theme.