The OFFICIAL "A Timeless Call" Discussion Thread

Ricard

Hey as you can read about it on the main page...

Wow that was unexpected wasn't it??

hmm I hope this will be released in some form, sounds promising. What could we expect: A American Journey/SPR Cross Over.. (Well American Journey already has some SPR in it :) )

So will this be more of the same.?. hm maybe, but great and patriotic!

I can sense a Horn Solo <_<

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we allowed to say which party this was written for or not?

REPLY - The main page clearly says it was written for the Democratic National Convention. It would be stupid to avoid that.

- Chris who understands why the site wants to avoid political discussion, but still gets overly sarcastic whenever encounters attempts to limit the freedom of speech.

REPLY - Are you sure this was meant to be an attempt to limit the "freedom of speech?

I predict this week is going to be a little lonely over here... <_<

Are there any versions of the video that do not need to aplly for pluggins?

I would like to hear this composition.

I was glad to hear less of an Aaron Copland sound, and more of a John Williams sound. I would really enjoy listening to this on CD, and I hope it gets a release.

well it's nice patriotic filmmusic.. some piano passages sound more like JNH mesa thinks!

I can hear similarities - JNH, Born on the 4th ofJuly, Saving Private Ryan, JFK, Nixon, American Journey... Americana Williams <_<

but if you write american patriotic music, I think there's a certain restricion of what is possible

Solo Trumpet, Horns, soft Strings, snare drum.. there you go :)

Damn. I think I was the only JW fan living in the United States who missed the premiere of "A Timeless Call" last night.

This is what happens when work and life take you away from fun on the computer for months.

Williams is still alive and in perfect hibernation. Let's still what he produces for the McCain camp. Probably something like a "Carry-On" farcical march.

Williams surely did better music than this.

That video is sad in so many ways ... and that's the last thing I'll say on this topic.

surely, for the better..

love the part from 2:04 on.. haunting nice stuff

Williams surely did better music than this.

That video is sad in so many ways ... and that's the last thing I'll say on this topic.

surely, for the better..

love the part from 2:04 on.. haunting nice stuff

The piano chords are very Williams and very emotional. He described pain and pride very well, with shifting chords. Especially right at the end. The film and the music struck the balance very well. The music was complex enough and also simple enough. A particular strength in a lot of his writing.

I can hear similarities - JNH, Born on the 4th ofJuly, Saving Private Ryan, JFK, Nixon, American Journey... Americana Williams ;)

but if you write american patriotic music, I think there's a certain restricion of what is possible

At least with America, the Dream Goes On he's shown that a wide range of quality is possible... ROTFLMAO

I know there are ways to capture it off YouTube, although I forget the name of the site one can use. Speaking of which.

This is free: http://online.movavi.com/

And their upgraded version for $30 is great. I use it all the time.

http://movavi.com/flashconverter/index.html

Also the new Real Player allows you to download as well, but the output format is fixed.

Again,I used the firefox downloadhelper

I also have installed a FLV video player to view those types of videos (Appliand FLV Player free)

Well, I finally got a chance to watch the video, and I must say that, initially, at least, I am disapointed. Certainly some good music, but not especially Williams-esque. I think MissPadme said something about parts sounding almost like JNH, and I would have to agree. And, while JNH might be my second favorite living film composer after Williams, somehow Williams take on that style didn't seem right.

Also, I was hoping to see some good Speilberg directing, but didn't notice any quality change from this to any number of other like-videos not directed by Speilberg.

Colin Thomson, listening to "The Jungle Chase" right now and loving it.

Also, I was hoping to see some good Speilberg directing, but didn't notice any quality change from this to any number of other like-videos not directed by Speilberg.

Yeah,that video could have been slapped together by anyone.

Yeah,that video could have been slapped together by anyone.

Indeed. I don't want to take anything from the experience and testimonies of these people, but I believe they deserve something more than clished, over-sentimental propaganda movie, no matter which side does it (and I am sure each one does).

Are we allowed to say which party this was written for or not?

REPLY - The main page clearly says it was written for the Democratic National Convention. It would be stupid to avoid that.

- Chris who understands why the site wants to avoid political discussion, but still gets overly sarcastic whenever encounters attempts to limit the freedom of speech.

REPLY - Are you sure this was meant to be an attempt to limit the "freedom of speech?

Actually I believe the whole rule IS against the freedom of speech, as far as certain - after all legal - issues are concerned, no matter how reasonable is the cause.

Because I like to be here, I conform to that rule. I also absolutely agree this shouldn't be a place to make political statement, nor insult the politicians or people of any political affiliations (or any other beliefs, opinions, traits etc.), on the other hand - and after going through the endless number of threads here - I don't see politics to be more trouble-inducing subject than let say... tastes in music.

I thought it was good, if not great, stuff. Could stand to listen to it again a few times to get a better appreciation for it, though not sure my appetite for the other audio would allow me to do so. I wasn't such a fan of the way the music so obviously chopped and changed at various points such that it ultimately wasn't as seamless as one might have liked. Could it be that Williams composed more music than we had opportunity to hear? *fingers crossed at the thought of ever having it all on a CD* And who do I have to kill to get a release of "Soundings"?!?

CYPHER

Indeed. I don't want to take anything from the experience and testimonies of these people, but I believe they deserve something more than clished, over-sentimental propaganda movie, no matter which side does it (and I am sure each one does).

I haven't seen it, but with Spielberg, that shouldn't be too surprising.

I haven't seen it, but with Spielberg, that shouldn't be too surprising.

I am still very naive, I guess.

As for the music, it's always good to listen to the new theme by Maestro, however it's also very easy to spot the temp-track behind these new cues. The theme itself is fine, I especially like this Bot4oJ-like rendition.

I don't understand the zeal of people who don't live in the USA to watch a seven minute clip of American propaganda just to hear five minutes of uninteresting John Williams music. Though the video focused on the soldiers and their plight as human beings, neither the politicians, the president, the mission, nor the war. So in that regard it was tastefully done.

I don't understand the zeal of people who don't live in the USA to watch a seven minute clip of American propaganda just to hear five minutes of uninteresting John Williams music.

You've got to be kidding me.That comment doesn't even belong on a Williams fan board.If your remotely a fan of JW you'll watch the video,or at least hear the audio.

I watched the last 3 nights of Olympic broadcasts just to get a few seconds of new Williams music

People here have said worse. You can't compare the Olympics to American politics.

I watched the video, and covered it up with another window but still listened to the audio. Then I made my comment.

But hey, if you think everything the man writes is worth listening to, that's great. I don't.

Just don't get up to go to the bathroom while it's being played, or we might have to kick you out.

I dont understand that comment.

I love that arrangement and it makes me wish i were american, 'a little'. Spain rules, after all ;)

I didn't think you would Luke. I was referring to the guy at a Yankees/Red Sox game who got up to use the bathroom during the singing of God Bless America, and while there's a lot of "he said/she said" in the whole ordeal between him and the NYC Police Department about belligerence and alcohol involved, they ejected him because it's a crime to get up during the singing of that song.

So what I said was a joke. From a certain point of view.

Hey, I'll only let you burn me if you can prove that I weigh as much as a duck...

I watched the last 3 nights of Olympic broadcasts just to get a few seconds of new Williams music

WHAT??!!?

There was new Williams music in the olympics? How come I never heard of it on this board? Did he compose it recently, or was it just more that hadn't been released, or what?

geez I posted in 2 threads about it. Now "new" music,just unreleased bumpers

that's awesome sissorhands

Oh, I saw the olympic bumpers thread, but didn't realize there was unreleased stuff.

Thanks!