Upcoming Films

Quintus

25 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Well, I like a French movie every once in a while.

Indeed. I have watched French cinema all through my lifetime. It's shaped my view of what cinema can be, and the world.

I'd definitely rather watch Asterix and Obelix any day of the week over some tiresome fucking Godard movie.  I sat through his Week-End once.  Pretentious shitpile.

Not that I hate all the artsy French movies of that era.  Jean-Pierre Melville is amazing.

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

I love French films, especially the work of Francois Ozon

Thankfully some JWfans have taste. :up:

16 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Indeed. I have watched French cinema all through my lifetime. It's shaped my view of what cinema can be, and the world.

Les Choristes was not bad. The other ones ... Eeeh ...

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Silence: First look at Adam Driver in Martin Scorsese's newest film

silence.jpg

Andrew Garfield is also in the picture, not sure why the headline singled out just Driver.

Er...because he's a better actor?

The best thing AG ever did was EVOLUTION OF THE DALEKS.

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'd definitely rather watch Asterix and Obelix any day of the week over some tiresome fucking Godard movie.  I sat through his Week-End once.  Pretentious shitpile.

Not that I hate all the artsy French movies of that era.  Jean-Pierre Melville is amazing.

No love for Breathless or Vivre Sa Vie?

30 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

No love for Breathless or Vivre Sa Vie?

I definitely enjoy his early 60s work more, particularly Band of Outsiders. But I'd much rather watch any other new waver from the era. Godard is cold and cruel and too intellectual. I'll take Truffaut, Melville, or Malle.

All great filmmakers to me, but I find I connect most to Godard's idiosyncratic style. I remember really hating Pierrot Le Fou when I first watched it, but after reading up on its production it all sort of clicked into place and made me really appreciate its "badness," so to speak. Sort of stream of consciousness film, that one. The other two I mentioned are just plain cool and are great examples of where Tarantino derived his style from.

Ah, a new chapter in the Book of Jackson. It will bring hope into the hearts of the people. Life will make sense again. The Hobbit was just a bad dream. 

I've never seen anything by Jackson aside from the Middle-earth films and King Kong. I guess Halloween is the time to see some of his early stuff!

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

It's like Indy 5, or AOTC! We all hope the director has learned from the experience and will do better!

Will Scott return to form with Alien: Covenant

;)

Indeed. Anyone like me who's watched probably hundreds of hours of LOTR/Hobbit making of documentaries (including rewatches) is very familiar with him.

When I was a teenager in the early 00s I used to put on the EE special features discs to lull me to sleep.  New Zealand accents still make me feel sleepy...

One of my favorite endings too. That long walk through the shop, goddamn.

And that kid's reaction to the cucumber salad never fails to crack me up. So close to orgasm.

That Lubitsch Touch, man. Fuuuuck.

My first was Trouble in Paradise for a History of Cinema class in college and it was an eye-opening experience. Devoured every Lubitsch I could get my hands on after that.

On 11/21/2015 at 5:55 AM, BloodBoal said:

And the cast is:

Johnny Depp as Rachett

Michelle Pfeiffer as Mrs. Hubbard

Daisy Ridley as Mary Debenham

Judi Dench as Princess Dragomiroff.

Lucy Boynton as Countess Andrenyi

Tom Bateman as Bouc

Derek Jacobi as Masterman

Michael Pena as Marquez

Leslie Odom Jr. as Doctor Arbuthnot

Josh Gad as Hector McQueen

14 hours ago, Jay said:

And the cast is:

Johnny Depp as Rachett

Michelle Pfeiffer as Mrs. Hubbard

Daisy Ridley as Mary Debenham

Judi Dench as Princess Dragomiroff.

Lucy Boynton as Countess Andrenyi

Tom Bateman as Bouc

Derek Jacobi as Masterman

Michael Pena as Marquez

Leslie Odom Jr. as Doctor Arbuthnot

Josh Gad as Hector McQueen

I actually kind of like the idea of Depp as Ratchett/Casetti.  Anyway there's no way this will be as good as the masterful Suchet version from 2010.  But if it's as good as the great 70s movie I'll be happy.

J.J. Abrams’ God Particle will be another Cloverfield movie

This film actually sounds interesting, as has a good cast (David Oyelowo, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Ziyi Zhang, Elizabeth Debicki, Daniel Brühl, and Chris O’Dowd).  But this part is alarming

The Wrap’s source notes that Abrams and Paramount now want a new Cloverfield film every year.

Way to kill a franchise!

I still don't get if the power outages referenced on Michelle's radio at the beginning of the film are supposed to relate to the monster that attacked NYC or not

I don't really think of it as a franchise, more of a branding like an anthology series.  Any suggestions that this is all connected is just for fun IMO.  Calling it a "shared universe" or whatever is just to sell it to the distributor since cinematic universes are totally in right now.  JJ wants to produce interesting standalone genre films, and this is his approach to try and make it profitable.