The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

The Red Pony (with The Heiress) by Aaron Copland went on sale yesterday.

As a huge fan of Copland's film work, I ordered it immediately :)

The Williams/BPO performance of the Red Pony suite from 1994's Music for Stage & Screen is amazing.

Lukas Kendall posted this about that album:

You can thank for this album...YOURSELVES! It was maybe over a year ago on this board that The Heiress was discussed, with info as to the University of Texas library that had a tape of the acetates.

So I contacted the library and worked out a deal to get their master duped for Paramount and this CD released by Intrada. I also contacted Varese who kindly located their album master of The Red Pony (their license had long expired).

Pat yourselves on the back!

Lukas

The latest titles going Out Of Print (on February 13th) are

Ron Goodwin - Unidentified Flying Oddball

Laurence Rosenthal - The Return Of A Man Called Horse / Inherit The Wind

ALSO, Intrad has created a new page showing titles going Out Of Print soon.  There's A LOT of titles on this page already!

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/sc.16/category.66697/.f

Titles in this category are at risk of disappearing soon. They are low in quantity and may be deleted from our catalog at any time. Act quickly or risk missing out!

And Roger has posted the clue for next week's title:

Early 90s animated theatrical feature gets its debut on CD. Lengthy, large orchestral score filled with excitement and charm.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7325

Sounds like DuckTales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp by David Newman or Rock-A-Doodle by Robert Folk.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

And Roger has posted the clue for next week's title:

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7325

Sounds like DuckTales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp by David Newman or Rock-A-Doodle by Robert Folk.

I wouldn't say no to DuckTales! Some fun music in there, but the sound quality on the Promo is definitely less than stellar.

Could do with an upgrade. :D

12 hours ago, Jay said:

The latest titles going Out Of Print (on February 13th) are

Ron Goodwin - Unidentified Flying Oddball

Laurence Rosenthal - The Return Of A Man Called Horse / Inherit The Wind

ALSO, Intrad has created a new page showing titles going Out Of Print soon.  There's A LOT of titles on this page already!

Wow sad to see Collateral on there already. They probably didn't even sell 1,000 copies of that one.

Any must haves on that list? Indecent Proposal?

9 hours ago, Jay said:

I've never heard that one but I know Recuers Down Under and Wolfen Unused have their fans. 

"Have their fans"? I've always been under the impression that Rescuers is one of the most popular Broughton scores. If that only counts as "have their fans" these days, it's no wonder that so few of the remaining first rate composers get scoring jobs anymore. (And I say that as someone who isn't even that big a Broughton fan)

Rejected Wolfen is pretty good actually. It almost feels like a late 20th century concert piece. It's the kind of atonal/"experimental" orchestral music that is actually pretty listenable.

Karol

17 hours ago, Jay said:

Dunno man, I've never seen any of these movies or heard any of their scores >shrug<

Wolfen wasn't really for me, I suppose, but Rescuers Down Under? Oh man, perhaps some nostalgia may be required in terms of impact, but if you like any Disney at all, you owe yourself to at least rent it somehow. It's a GORGEOUS movie to watch, and even uses some pre-Pixar Studios Pixar animation in the opening, I believe, mixed with traditional animation. Simple but effective. Seriously, the first 10 minutes or so, before the mice protagonists even show up, is some of the best traditional animation Disney came out with in the 90s and beyond. But even after that it still tends to impress, and the movie breezes a lot with a lot of fun, some cute but not dumb humor, an awesome villain performed by the late George C Scott, and some cool action sequences. And the music does indeed compliment the film, and stands out, very well.

Anyone else agree with all of that?

16 hours ago, crocodile said:

Rejected Wolfen is pretty good actually. It almost feels like a late 20th century concert piece. It's the kind of atonal/"experimental" orchestral music that is actually pretty listenable.

Karol

Which is probably why it was rejected. Too much for the producers and director.

4 hours ago, scallenger said:

Wolfen wasn't really for me, I suppose, but Rescuers Down Under? Oh man, perhaps some nostalgia may be required in terms of impact, but if you like any Disney at all, you owe yourself to at least rent it somehow. It's a GORGEOUS movie to watch, and even uses some pre-Pixar Studios Pixar animation in the opening, I believe, mixed with traditional animation. Simple but effective. Seriously, the first 10 minutes or so, before the mice protagonists even show up, is some of the best traditional animation Disney came out with in the 90s and beyond. But even after that it still tends to impress, and the movie breezes a lot with a lot of fun, some cute but not dumb humor, an awesome villain performed by the late George C Scott, and some cool action sequences. And the music does indeed compliment the film, and stands out, very well.

I should watch it again some time. I definitely remember liking it; FAR more than the first Rescuers film.

And the music has some surprisingly good stuff too. Worth investigating for anyone who didn't do so yet. :D

17 hours ago, scallenger said:

I've never actually seen it. I do think it's remarkable that was for a significant while the the only major theatrical release by Disney that was also a sequel.

Broughton is definitely proud of his score. For the few times he was in Vienna to give a talk at the annual film music symposium, he always used to show an excerpt from the film.

Intrada kindly posted the number of units remaining for everything in their Danger Zone category, check it out:

A bunch of them only have 100 copies or less remaining

• 4 weeks later...

And the next titles going Out Of Print (On 13th) are

Marco Beltrami - Red Eye

Scott Glasgow - Hatchet III

And Roger has posted the first clue for Tuesday's new title

Mid-90s adventure comedy gets its debut commercial release clocking in at nearly 80 minutes from an Intrada favorite.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7360

I have no guesses, other than "Intrada favorite" probably means Bruce Broughton.  Someone on FSM suggested Baby's Day Out, but then another person said that score wasn't 80 minutes long.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I have no guesses, other than "Intrada favorite" probably means Bruce Broughton.  Someone on FSM suggested Baby's Day Out, but then another person said that score wasn't 80 minutes long.

My first instinct was Muppet Treasure Island given the Disney connection, but yeah Hans Zimmer couldn't be categorized as an "Intrada favorite."

Seems to definitely be Baby's Day Out, and the old promo was simply not close to being complete / there's a lot of alternates.

• 2 weeks later...

First clue for next week's title

Two scores on one CD, but polar opposites. One is from a mid-70s film featuring a dissonant score from a neat thriller. The second is more of a romantic score from the early 80s. Why pair them? Same composer! And neither were long enough for their own albums, so what's a producer to do? Both have never been available in any form.

And just a heads up that it's spring break at Intrada in two weeks where the hamsters will be taking a much needed break to feast on kibble and get off the endlessly spinning hamster wheel. So see you back in four weeks after next week's release.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7368

I have no idea what it could be.

1 minute ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

Monsignor had at least least one album, maybe two. I own the Intrada. 

Intrada released the previous album, which was the first CD release of the score.

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Eiger Sanction and Monsignor!

I wouldn't call Eiger Sanction mainly dissonant as it is such an eclectic mix of styles.

In the FSM thread someone suggested:

Two Minute Warning (1976) by Charles Fox for the cool thriller. 

paired with The Last Married Couple in America (1980) by Charles Fox for the romantic film.

Both from Universal Pictures.

Could be.

So that's probably it.

40 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Intrada released the previous album, which was the first CD release of the score.

I wouldn't call Eiger Sanction mainly dissonant as it is such an eclectic mix of styles.

Never heard either - too cost prohibitive.  Just wishful thinking!

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting conversation, thanks for sharing. I'm having a bit of a break from feverish soundtrack collecting. Used to buy a lot of stuff. Money is not really an issue, there just doesn't seem to be enough interesting stuff coming out. Can't say I want to spend all that money in order to listen to something once or twice. Not enough time for that anyway.

Karol

Intrada is having a 30% off sale on select titles

These items are on sale for a limited time only! 30% off regular price until 11:59pm Pacific time April 26, 2017. Use coupon code SALE30 at checkout!

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/sc.16/category.67400/.f

Tons of great stuff in there!

• 2 months later...

Roger posted clues for Tuesday's title

Two scores on one CD, tied together thematically only by their locales (and licensor, but that doesn't count).

One from the late 80s features the complete score by one composer late in his career, the other a younger composer's score from the early 90s and possibly one of his best works.

While a song/score album on the latter had been released with a generous helping of score, this nearly doubles the length of the score. It's not complete -- the elements were extremely uncooperative and so we got as much as we could, but most will find we captured most of the key highlights anyway.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7477

Nothing springs to mind right away..... the 90s score must be short because they doubled the length of what was available on an old song/score CD, but its still short enough to combine with a complete score from a late 80s movie.  Hmnmm.