What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

8 hours ago, Richard said:

As an aside, I've just listened to TGP's recent post. How scoring has changed! Not to denigrate TGP's choice of music, but the two pieces illustrate just what demands are placed on composers, these days, the aesthetic choices they make, and the "moods" that they create. It's a vastly different ball game. If there is to be a brave new film music world, my generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

...you feel a relatively hard science fiction video game and a goofy, corny fantasy flick would have comparable aesthetic demands for a score, in any decade?  Strikes me as an arbitrary comparison, unless of course you were just looking for an excuse for more "good old days" schtick. 

6 hours ago, publicist said:

No, i meant more how the different signatures of the instrumental lines relate to one another.

That's the conflict between the divisive (2+2+2+2) and additive (3+3+2) 8th note subdivisions of the metre. Symmetry vs. asymmetry.

2 hours ago, Sharky said:

That's the conflict between the divisive (2+2+2+2) and additive (3+3+2) 8th note subdivisions of the metre. Symmetry vs. asymmetry.

Eloquently put, as always.

30 minutes ago, Richard said:

Nice, now...go tell that to Whitey.

Tell me yourself, Richard.  Don't pull this driveby bullshit with me.

You should know damn well by now that I have no tolerance for what I perceive as generational griping, and hell if you aren't one of the most repeat offenders on that front.  So tell me yourself!  Respond.  Don't count on someone else to do it for you.  

So... what is it that you think I need to be told?

It's a score that went out of style for me, barring the occasional craving, at the same time that my rhythmic fetish period ended with weeks of binging Nancarrow.

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Tell me yourself, Richard.  Don't pull this driveby bullshit with me.

You should know damn well by now that I have no tolerance for what I perceive as generational griping, and hell if you aren't one of the most repeat offenders on that front.  So tell me yourself!  Respond.  Don't count on someone else to do it for you.  

So... what is it that you think I need to be told?

If I think that you might (and I do emphasise, might) have posted anything that might elicit any kind of a response from me, then, please be rest assured, you will hear from me, in good time. 

Until that time comes...I wasn't talking to you. Didn't your mama tell you it was rude to listen to other people's conversations?

Stop hating yourself.

What kind of place has JWfan become, when someone can't make an offhand comment, about a piece of film music (film music, for crying out loud!!!!) without being torn a new one?

I need a rest. For now, I'm done with all this.

Oh please.  

No trouble being dismissive at almost every turn, until someone wants you to back it up?  And you sink low enough to suggest I hate myself because of it?  

Yes, I think you need a rest as well.

:music: The Silence of the Lambs by Howard Shore. I don't listen to this very often, it's not something I'd pick to enjoy. But the opening and closing tracks are among Shore's finest work. He should combine the two as one neat concert suite.

Karol

13 hours ago, Sharky said:

For you, the blind who once could see
The bell tolls for thee...

Cute, Skarky, but I'm not done yet.

It's less LOSING IT, and more "when dragons grow too mighty, to slay with pen and sword..."

When and if I ever return, and put my message in a MODEM, and throw it in a cyber sea, I shall make sure that all JWfan "is all kept equal, with hatchet, axe, and saw".

To wit:

TGP, it appears that, like Anton, we both got a little hot under the collar.

While you have every right to disagree with a post, my intention was not to criticize you, or your taste in music, in any way. A great mind such as yours could not have failed to notice that films are made differently, these days. The emphasis has altered, and film scoring has reflected that. 

As for "generational griping", three of my favourite scores in many a twelvemonth have been by "new composers": HIGH-RISE, THE NEON DEMON. and JACKIE. Also, I attempt to buy every new MG, and Carter Burwell CD, while maintaining a healthy interest in "past masters".

I believe that it is possible to compare those two scores, as they illustrate my original point. That you think this is not possible, is, of course, your privilege.

Reading back some of our posts, it seems that we are alike: both have very clear opinions, and both have very clear ways of expressing these, sometimes vociferously.

So...in the interest of continuing good relations at JWfan, I will attempt to "bottle the acid". Will you do the same?

The hand of friendship. Yes? No?

it's over to you...

6 hours ago, Richard said:

Cute, Skarky, but I'm not done yet.

It's less LOSING IT, and more "when dragons grow too mighty, to slay with pen and sword..."

When and if I ever return, and put my message in a MODEM, and throw it in a cyber sea, I shall make sure that all JWfan "is all kept equal, with hatchet, axe, and saw".

To wit:

TGP, it appears that, like Anton, we both got a little hot under the collar.

While you have every right to disagree with a post, my intention was not to criticize you, or your taste in music, in any way. A great mind such as yours could not have failed to notice that films are made differently, these days. The emphasis has altered, and film scoring has reflected that. 

As for "generational griping", three of my favourite scores in many a twelvemonth have been by "new composers": HIGH-RISE, THE NEON DEMON. and JACKIE. Also, I attempt to buy every new MG, and Carter Burwell CD, while maintaining a healthy interest in "past masters".

I believe that it is possible to compare those two scores, as they illustrate my original point. That you think this is not possible, is, of course, your privilege.

Reading back some of our posts, it seems that we are alike: both have very clear opinions, and both have very clear ways of expressing these, sometimes vociferously.

So...in the interest of continuing good relations at JWfan, I will attempt to "bottle the acid". Will you do the same?

The hand of friendship. Yes? No?

it's over to you...

A little gay, but agreed!

'Stay' from Interstellar, based on a recommendation from my friend Stefancos. Utterly, utterly stunning really. Quintessential Zimmer in ever sense. This is going to sound slightly over the top, but after playing it quite loud just now over my sound system, it was almost transcendental. Wow!

1 hour ago, publicist said:

I thought McCreary's 10 Cloverfield Lane was incredible but I haven't really been able to connect to any of his other work quite as enthusiastically as I did that score.  The problem with television composers for me is I get so overwhelmed by the amount of material it's easier just to not bother.  I hope he continues to get cool film work, I thought parts of his recent Colossal score were really cool even if it was disappointing on the whole.

42 minutes ago, Quintus said:

'Stay' from Interstellar, based on a recommendation from my friend Stefancos. Utterly, utterly stunning really. Quintessential Zimmer in ever sense. This is going to sound slightly over the top, but after playing it quite loud just now over my sound system, it was almost transcendental. Wow!

Not sure who this Stefancos guy is, but his recommendations are commendable.

53 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Try 'Murph' too. 

And this is a great cue too:

It's a great Zimmer score but is probably best experienced in the film.

Karol

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I thought McCreary's 10 Cloverfield Lane was incredible but I haven't really been able to connect to any of his other work quite as enthusiastically as I did that score.  The problem with television composers for me is I get so overwhelmed by the amount of material it's easier just to not bother.  I hope he continues to get cool film work, I thought parts of his recent Colossal score were really cool even if it was disappointing on the whole.

I consider myself a fan, but I do think hie TV scores have a lot of filler. Comes with the territory I guess. Battlestar Galactica has tons of drumming and ethnic background music that I don't care much for, but the highlights are fantastic. And it doesn't feel "off", it works just fine in the series. Black Sails also supports the series well, even though there's very little besides the main title that really seems like I'd want to listen to it on CD.

There's some very fine stuff in the first two Outlander albums (I still haven't listened to season 2 more than once, because I'm waiting for it to show up on Netflix and am afraid of spoilers in the track list), and I've found them thoroughly enjoyable.

This is when I admit that I watched every episode of Battlestar when they aired but don't remember really feeling one way or another about the score. I remember the theme and when they all sang Dylan?

20 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The Cape doesn't have filler!

I nearly mentioned that as an exception. It's a lot of fun. It does have an exceptionally blatant Hyperspace rip though. ;)

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

This is when I admit that I watched every episode of Battlestar when they aired but don't remember really feeling one way or another about the score. I remember the theme and when they all sang Dylan?

I never cared much for the theme, really. Here are some of the highlights:

Some of this stuff is pretty Glass-like in its minimalism. Apparently, they did sometimes use Glass pieces for the temp track, and they actually play one of his piano works as source music, in season 2 I believe.

7 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Awful score!  Too loud!  Needs more heroic themes!

Stop harrying Zimmer you heroic theme lover! Every time someone says they love Zimmer you swoop in to bark at them! For shame!

Comedy!

John Williams - Fitzwilly (score)

John Williams - The Reivers (expanded)

John Williams - The Terminal

21 hours ago, crocodile said:

Try 'Murph' too. 

And this is a great cue too:

It's a great Zimmer score but is probably best experienced in the film.

Karol

21 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

I find "Cornfield Chase" from the Interstellar soundtrack to be even better than "Stay". Such a layered and dazzling track.

I've been lucky to have had some time to listen to a fair few tracks from this score over the last 24 hours, and I think it's more ambitious than the film itself. 

Wow. Just hitting me that DvC was over 10 years ago....

On 4/27/2017 at 4:55 PM, crocodile said:

Try 'Murph' too. 

Best cue/material of the score!

Star Wars Episode 3 Revenge of the Sith by John Williams: Better in expanded form for sure but a bit uneven with surprisingly little new material to tie it all together as both Lucas and Johnny try to do it by quoting old themes, which doesn't work 100%. Still the red fiery finale section is tremendous fun orchestral grand standing that makes this my second favourite Prequel score after Phantom Menace.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park by John Williams: Thanks to the score restore thread in the JW discussion I have been giving this score several listens. I always mean to listen to just the new track Marc has put up against the picture but then the music takes over and I find listening to the rest of the score from that point on. 

9 hours ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

I'll see your Interstellar and raise you a Sherlock Holmes.

That was actually the last score I was thinking of from about 10 years ago. Couldn't remember which year it came out.