What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

I wouldn't shut the door on a whole genre unless even the good stuff in that genre doesn't appeal to you.

I'm afraid that is the case. It might be the most senseless genre for me. I say 'senseless' because I can't do anything with it. The last 3 (True Lies, Knight And Day, Red) were very difficult for me to sit through and I only manage to do so because of the kid. In fact, that's why we watch them in the first place.

Fair Game: Wow, so boring. I need to find me a new hobby.

Fair-Game-Poster-e1282897919282-220x136.jpg

The Shining

Continuing my quest to see the classics. I felt this was rather slow to heat up, but the last half hour is pure tension. Fantastic performances, and great use of the steadicam too.

by who?

Surely not Shelly Duvall, who gives one of the worst performances in a career filled with bad performances?

A bit late to comment on this but I will. I haven't seen her in any other movies, but I'm struggling to see why her performance is considered so bad. It's not high school play quality, it's not overacting... what is it?

The movie with Natalie Portman in a thong?

Yep. That's all she shows in the movie BTW. It isn't bad like a lot of people are saying, but I chuckled some and smiled a lot throughout. Personally, Your Highness works better as a throwback to 1980s fantasy movies than it does raunchy comedy. A lot of the funnier moments were revealed in the red-band trailer.

I did see Scream 4 last night. A lot better than expected, and the first decent film Wes Craven's directed in a decade. Some of the moments were reminiscent of the superior first film, but that was the purpose of it (a commentary on social media and fame plus making fun of reboots/remakes). I actually had a lot of fun with it, and Marco Beltrami's score was great. He didn't reuse his thematic material for Sidney and Woodsboro often, but that was all right. (The song selections were good too.)

Scream 4 is a fun movie, but with the right audience, it's an absolute blast. People were laughing at the death scenes, some people saying "no!" or "stupid" whenever a character goes out by him/herself and so on. But the end scene where Sidney offed the killer got a lot of claps and cheers.

I preferred Scream when it was called Friday the 13th, Part VI: Jason Lives.

I can see the similarities between Scream and Jason Lives -- but Scream was much funnier.

"Duck, you sucker!" by Sergio Leone - 9/10

Fantastic film, a real underrated gem. And the score by Morricone was brilliant too.

Now the only Leone film I have yet to see is Once Upon in America.

Giu La Testa is very underrated. Superb film. I would get ...America on Blu, but right after it came out it was announced that the Director's Cut was being worked on for release. I'll wait, unless the price for it drops significantly.

I actually prefer Duck You Sucker to Once Upon a Time in America. Seeing it the first time was a real revelation, it didn't seem to have the pedigree of Leone more widely- watched films...but it is pretty darn glorious, and surprisingly heartfelt. It is interesting to note that with each successive film, Leone went less comedic and more emotional, starting with a quasi comedy and ending in a huge tragedy. The main theme from Duck You Sucker is also probably my favorite Morricone love theme.

Morlock- who saw Source Code and liked it, though it recedes from memory. Good score, though, heavily influenced by The Ghostwriter (not a bad score to be influenced by).

I did see Scream 4 last night. A lot better than expected, and the first decent film Wes Craven's directed in a decade. Some of the moments were reminiscent of the superior first film, but that was the purpose of it (a commentary on social media and fame plus making fun of reboots/remakes). I actually had a lot of fun with it, and Marco Beltrami's score was great. He didn't reuse his thematic material for Sidney and Woodsboro often, but that was all right. (The song selections were good too.)

Scream 4 is a fun movie, but with the right audience, it's an absolute blast. People were laughing at the death scenes, some people saying "no!" or "stupid" whenever a character goes out by him/herself and so on. But the end scene where Sidney offed the killer got a lot of claps and cheers.

I didn't like it that much. Too much of satire, too little of fright - as if Mr Craven forgot how to scare audience. It didn't help that some a$$hole on YT revealed the killer's identity, so there was no surprise at the end. The score was good, though.

Scream movies were always about a satire. None of them was really scary.

Karol

The first one was. Not that it was downright frightening, but, unlike any of the sequels, it was preety tense. In many ways it retained that old school Halloween-like unsettling mood, when you feel under your skin that something evil lurks out there. Don't forget the brilliant opening sequence. After all these years it still gives me shivers.

A little late to the party with this one but watched Pearl Harbor for the first time. I actually liked the movie.

The bombing itself is very watchable and genuinely spectacular, but the rest is drivel.

I didn't like it that much. Too much of satire, too little of fright - as if Mr Craven forgot how to scare audience. It didn't help that some a$hole on YT revealed the killer's identity, so there was no surprise at the end. The score was good, though.

I haven't seen Scream 4 nor do I plan to, but based on what I've heard the killer was pretty predictable, it fit the criteria of who it would be, and the box office shows audiences are tired of this franchise.

I preferred Scream when it was called Friday the 13th, Part VI: Jason Lives.

I prefer Friday The 13th when it was one film and effective.

A little late to the party with this one but watched Pearl Harbor for the first time. I actually liked the movie.

The bombing itself is very watchable and genuinely spectacular, but the rest is drivel.

Agreed, the battle sequences are topnotch. It's all the character-romance crap that's cringeworthy.

I haven't seen Scream 4 nor do I plan to, but based on what I've heard the killer was pretty predictable, it fit the criteria of who it would be, and the box office shows audiences are tired of this franchise.

A lot of my friends were very excited to see it return and loved it. Doesn't matter about the BO numbers anyway, 5 and 6 are already being made.

Yeah I know, there's a thread over at FSM where the Scream fanboys are pissing themselves with excitement over the 4th film.

I didn't like it that much. Too much of satire, too little of fright - as if Mr Craven forgot how to scare audience. It didn't help that some a$hole on YT revealed the killer's identity, so there was no surprise at the end. The score was good, though.

That's fine -- movies aren't a 'one size fits all' thing. As for the killer's identity, I avoided spoilers before seeing this. I thought there were some tense moments in the film, and I liked how the film was a satiric look at social media, networking and the whole 'reboot/remaking' trend.

Before I saw it, I really didn't have high hopes for this film. That said, it surpassed my expectations. Maybe it's because I enjoyed watching it with the audience reactions too (the whole 'Stab-a-thon' farm sequence was a blast), but it's one of Craven's better films.

Whoa there mister. Wait until Scream 4's third weekend before saying that. The first one had a terrible opening weekend, but it had stellar word-of-mouth and grossed over $100M domestically. I work at a theater, and the audience response after each showing was glowing. It'll likely have strong legs if WOM is as good as I think it might.

And I suggest you actually, you know, see the movie. What critics think doesn't always speak to the audience.

I don't pay attention to critics. I've seen the first 3 and after the first one it went stale.

And since each Scream film has done less BO since the first one, despite inflated ticket prices and number of screens increasing, I'll say it will do less next weekend.

If it makes more next weekend then I'll tip my hat to the film makers.

Agreed, the battle sequences are topnotch. It's all the character-romance crap that's cringeworthy.

I see where you're coming from but I actually like the romance. Maybe I'm alone but I prefer the love story in Pearl Harbor to Titanic. When I watch Pearl Harbor, I feel like the focus is on the bombing with a three-hour romance on the side (could have been trimmed down an hour). Titanic is a three-hour romance with a ship sinking.

Wow, the once most ridiculed movie ever is now being rediscovered by JW members as if it's a special wine for connoisseurs. Only at JWfan!

Blindness: Haha, that was pretty good (well, perhaps not really but it entertained me). I didn't expect it, I bought the DVD for 1 Euro and thought "never heard of it", even though it's from the director of City Of Gods. My faith in movies is a little bit restored. I'm going to cancel my appointment with the local parachuting club.

blindnessp8.jpg

Wow, the once most ridiculed movie ever is now being rediscovered by JW members as if it's a special wine for connoisseurs. Only at JWfan!

No it's still awful.

Watched Megamind on Sunday because the gf loves the animated ones.

Meh.

We rented that with Unstoppable a few weeks ago. The latter we finished and enjoyed greatly, but we could not finish the former. It was dull, tedious, and we thought we knew what was coming strongly enough to avoid the rest of the film. Normally I like rock songs in a movie, but in Megamind, their usage seemed forced and contrived.

Well,

that actually turns out to be a ruse, as you learn near the end that Pitt's character is still alive.

I thought it was okay overall. Not bad for a couple laughs. The Jor-El/Godfather/Marlon Brando spoof was hysterical.

But once again DreamWorks falls short of Pixar's similarly themed feature (namely, The Incredibles).

Blade Runner

Out of all the different versions, this new "Final Cut" will probably be the one I return to the most, but I'm curious to see what the workprint version is like. It's good to finally have the theatrical cut in HD, I look forward to re-visit that after all these years seeing it once on TV.

Next BD to buy... Alien vs. Predator.

Who says The Killing Room is enjoyable? There simply aren't many good movies coming out these days (or I'm simply watching the wrong movies. I mean, watching Knight and Day and Red is kinda asking for it). It's why I prefer watching quality TV series. I'm waiting for the DVD releases of Mad Men 4, Breaking Bad 3, ... In the mean time, I watch movies. The Killing Room is part of a '5 DVDs for 5 Euro' deal from De Blokker. Blindness was also part of the deal and is quite enjoyable.

I did see Scream 4 last night. A lot better than expected, and the first decent film Wes Craven's directed in a decade.

You didn't like Red Eye?

But once again DreamWorks falls short of Pixar's similarly themed feature (namely, The Incredibles).

I always thought that The Incredibles was so good because it was more of a classic James Bond homage than a superhero film one. And after all, wasn't Bond a superhero himself? Always surviving all that impossible stuff and never getting hurt. That was why we admired him. That and getting all the ladies all the time.

The tone of the film has that Bond vibe going on all the time. Think of when Mr. Incredible is at that giant computer finding out about the superheroes that have been killed. That's pure Bond right there. Same goes with the music, of course.

Megamind is a pure superhero film homage. Or a parody, if you will. The two films couldn't be more different. Same goes with the comparison between Antz and A Bug's Life: The only thing they got in common is that the characters are ants. Apart from that, the films are nothing alike.

Sabrina

A beautiful movie, this is one I like to watch every few years or so. Although there are plenty of indicators that this film was produced in the early 90s (clothing, hairstyles, technology, film techniques), overall it has a timeless quality similar to the types of classic romances that the film was based on. It's probably my favorite romantic film. The acting, the clever dialogue, the perfect amount of humor, the nostalgic feel - it all comes together perfectly. My one gripe is that "In the Moonlight" masks over "Theme from Sabrina" in the End Credits.

I did see Scream 4 last night. A lot better than expected, and the first decent film Wes Craven's directed in a decade.

You didn't like Red Eye?

Red Eye was all right -- not a great movie, but it was a quick-paced and efficient film. Cillian Murphy just regurgitated his Dr. Jonathan Crane character, though. I had a lot more fun with Scream 4 -- you can tell Craven and Kevin Williamson are having fun.

The Incredibles

I forgot how good this was, it's been years since I last saw it. Brad Bird is just a phenomenal filmmaker. The voice acting is particularly fantastic. Giacchino's score is, of course, nothing short of brilliant.

Ghost in the Shell

This film is just mesmerizing. Forget that it's from the 1990s. Forget that it's anime with the atypical jerky animation. It transcends sci-fi in general, and like Blade Runner, it provides some food for thought about the nature of humanity and whether it can truly be duplicated by machines.

And I have to give a special shout-out to Kenji Kawai's score. Most, if not all of it consists of that haunting song "Making of a Cyborg" -- and the way Kawai and Mamoru Oshii use it throughout is wonderfully effective.

Fireflies In The Garden: Couldn't hold my interest. Made for those who love melodrama. It should be said that young Michael (boy with glasses) was the best actor of the film and that the fotography of the opening scene was pretty good.

firefliesinthegarden1.preview.jpg

Alex

And Willem Dafoe as the tyrant father. And for the women, it also features that 'Horatio Hornblower' guy. Yep, it's that kinda movie.

Hornblower-2-ioan-gruffudd-214666_600_826.jpg

Easy A appeared on Netflix Instant Watch, and I needed a distraction from a stomach ache, so I went for it. You know what? I really enjoyed it, even though I don't find myself watching this sort of flick too often. It totally felt like a well-done contemporary entry into that genre of 80s movies it so coyly admitted to imitating. I haven't really seen Emma Stone in much of anything else, but she totally made the whole film work. (Which is ironic, because the idea that such a gorgeous young woman could go through high school without anyone showing interest would be so laughable in real life.) The whole film had a quirky sense of humor that I really enjoyed, particularly where the parents were concerned.

Honestly, I think my biggest critique is that letters of the opening credits were casting shadows into areas that were already shadowed. A little hard to explain, but it's something I noticed as an artist, because it wouldn't happen in real life that way. Other than that, yeah, it was a fun movie. :P