What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Alexcremers if you can see this then you can see the part where I also said to Jason I was only joking. It's just banter, dude. Sick banter, but banter nonetheless. 

Also, I see your reading comprehension hasn't come on much, if your "strange" comment above is anything to go by. 

23 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Strange. First Quintus says I'm a pedophile and now he says I don't like children. 

The first time Newt didn't bother me because I wondered why she survived. I was curious to find out if she really was who people thought she was. Sadly, she was. In later viewings, I simply didn't like the mother lion protecting her new(t) cub aspect/dynamic in Aliens. It makes things disney-esque and sentimental. It's Alien for the Joeys of the world who need the Disney aspect or it feels "detached" for them. 

He is clearly detached. He was damaged goods. Perhaps Bale's best performance. And it's Joe.

1 minute ago, JoeinAR said:

He is clearly detached. He was damaged goods. 

What?! You don't understand the movie, I'm afraid.

I find it funny how Alex is bothered by Newt in what is one of the 80's best child performances.

Kids exist in the real world. We were all chids once. Many great films rely on great child performances. That doesn't make them children's films either. 

Just now, JoeinAR said:

Kids exist in the real world. 

So that's what is sitting in my house! Kids! Thanks, Joe!

Why is it the two oldest members here are the ones that bicker with each other the most?

9 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

What?! You don't understand the movie, I'm afraid.

You clearly don't know what the you're talking about. This kid probably wasn't right to begin with. I suppose when reunited at the end with his parents that was "normal". This isn't a deep film just a heavily flawed one that SS left a lot of humanity out of.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why is it the two oldest members here are the ones that bicker with each other the most?

What do you care?

Sounds like a complaint Jason not an observation. Alex and I are civil for us. 

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

No, you are being deliberately ageist.

So that we would forget your undignified question to me. 

No really, imagine how great Stand By Me would be if it was played by three elders!

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Me and Stefan are trying to catch up. Well I am at any rate. 

Alex would be the ultimate debate partner. 

43 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

"You're wrong because I'm right"

I never said that. I explained everything, I gave my motives, and accused nobody for being wrong or being a child hater or a pedophile, but as usual Koray needs even more explaining. To be honest, I think he's more suited to be a Nolan fan than a Malick fan. 

Watched In Bruges last night. It was pretty good.

Also watched Ex Machina. That wasn't as good as expected. OK film I guess.

Oh and I've had a chance to finally watch The Big Lebowski. Reminded me a lot of Inherent Vice. Or perhaps the other way around.

Karol - catching up

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Also watched Ex Machina. That wasn't as good as expected.

Why not? 

Watched In Bruges last night. It was pretty good.

Not a fan of that one. 

Oh and I've had a chance to finally watch The Big Lebowski.

Best of the lot.

9 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

"You're wrong because I'm right. I rest my case."

No.. because in fairness he is relentless. 

Inside Man. I hate Denzel Washington's stupid accent. Jodie Foster's character was absolutely horrible. The score seemed out-of-place: the music itself was very good, but it seemed too much for the material it was serving. All the cops are stupid. Clive Owen was good. The plot was all right.

On 26.05.2016 at 4:02 PM, Alexcremers said:

Why not? 

It just wasn't nearly as clever as expected. Nor was it visually interesting. And I felt it was bit torn between two extremities - brainy s-f and/or mainstream s-f. Didn't feel like it took many chances with the material thus making itself bit anonymous.

Karol

I liked how consequent it was in reaching its outcome. Yes, it toys with the viewer not knowing if is might be a plot twisty film trying to out smart the audience, but it does that as a natural part of its plot. In the end, it's mostly unsurprising, but convincingly so, which I think is worth a lot. Outstanding special effects and good performances, too - Vikander is excellent.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

It just wasn't nearly as clever as expected. Nor was it visually interesting. And I felt it was bit torn between two extremities - brainy s-f and/or mainstream s-f. Didn't feel like it took many chances with the material thus making itself bit anonymous.

Karol

Indeed.  

6 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Inside Man. I hate Denzel Washington's stupid accent. Jodie Foster's character was absolutely horrible. The score seemed out-of-place: the music itself was very good, but it seemed too much for the material it was serving. All the cops are stupid. Clive Owen was good. The plot was all right.

Great film.

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

And I felt it was bit torn between two extremities - brainy s-f and/or mainstream s-f.

Two extremities? Can't mainstream be somewhat brainy? In fact, isn't that Nolan's recipe?

Well, this film wasn't enough. I didn't seem to say anything new. If it did, I missed it.

And yeah Marian, Vikander is really good. But I have to say two male leads are bit boring. And yeah, special effects are really good.

Karol

No, there's nothing new, but the thing I enjoyed most about Ex Machina is its underplayed and mature tone, but I understand that there's a lack of exaggeration and drama (as seen in most movies - it's why Jennifer Lawrence is so popular) and that this might come across as boring for some viewers. 

Alex

What I'm saying, Alex, is that you either crank up the hardcore s-f elements, or you develop your characters. This film did neither. Or tries to hard to have both.

Karol

I understand that ... the movie did not excel at the things that you mention, but I'm already happy with they way it was told, which is becoming a rarity these days.

I'm happy that there are moderately sized personal s-f out there that reach mainstream. That's a great thing. It's just a pity I didn't like it more.

Karol

Titanic (yesterday evening). I'm glad I finally watched it so that I can join the OST bashing club. Very nice story, although I had some difficulties liking Rose and Jack in the beginning, but that changed a bit later. Also couldn't help wondering why he was able to push her on that piece of wood three times but then failed to climb on himself. Oh well. The score was exquisite. Horner had this gift of telling me everything with only a few notes. In The Boy In The Striped Pajamas, one piano chord sufficed, and when A Building Panic started, the approaching disaster needed no further illustration. I WANT THE RECORDING SESSIONS.

1 hour ago, Shatner's Rug said:

What's wrong with the OST?

There are numerous cues and film versions missing. I prefer the stereo downmix of the 5.1 SACD release including bonus synth/choir removal. That stuff can be a little grating sometimes.

So, what's missing. Off the top of my head? The entire opening. The film version of the main title and the eerie music when they're exploring the wreck. There's a piano melody that first appears when old Rose holds that butterfly hair comb. The film version of "Southampton" in all its Rocketeer/Star Trek-like glory. The Celtic (?) music that actually features in the film like when Jack and Fabrizio catch the ship and when Jack and Rose are running from the Federation's representative from Nimbus III AKA "The Planet of Galactic Peace". There's an Apollo 13 "Night Before the Launch"-esque moment when Jack first sees Rose. The film version of "The Portrait", which sounds better than the version on Back to Titanic. Numerous renditions of that awesome ominous descending motif. Numerous cues during the sinking scenes. I don't know, we just need it all. Now.

I just don't get why a soundtrack that sold abnormally well still didn't get a proper release. That anniversary edition is a total joke. MOney can't possibly be the issue, can it?