What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

20 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Yeah the thing is, listening to a descriiption of countless actions just doesn't really work for me. And when it goes on for half an hour combined with a score that totally doesn't interest me, I lose interest.

That's what I figured. I mean the films is essentially one long chase for most of it's running time.

So I can completely see wh...wait score doesnt interest you? What? What?

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Indy and the Temple of Doom. Interesting premise. First half was good, second half was dead boring. Jesus, what a waste of time that was. Did this film win an award for 'most screams in one film'? Willie was sometimes nice but mostly annoying. Really liked Harrison Ford in this one. Only the romantic cues of the score appealed to me and the recording badly needs some reverb.

Out of sincere curiosity, how old are you? 

I think the majority of the people who love IJTOD saw it for the first time when they were a lot younger than that

But it's not really a children's story, is it? There are children's films that I enjoyed more than this one (Hook, Home Alone, Bolt, Happy Feet...). It's probably the action material that isn't my thing and the endless 'Ind-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh!!!!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

10 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Indy and the Temple of Doom. Interesting premise. First half was good, second half was dead boring. Jesus, what a waste of time that was. Did this film win an award for 'most screams in one film'? 

Indeed, Willie Scott and Short Round are Spielberg's most irritating characters ever. 

Nocturnal Animals

80113783.jpg

A confusing, 'impossible-to-emotionally-connect-with' three storylines movie. Why?! Zzzzzzz ...

Alex - who loved A Single Man

Fast & Furious

The fourth entry in the franchise is still rather formulaic. Justin Lin brought back the pivotal cast members from the first, but the plot just spins its wheels. The action climax involving the underground tunnels isn't hard to follow like Lin's next three films, but it's just head-shakingly stupid nonetheless. Vin Diesel continues to have the charisma of a wet paper bag while supporting players Paul Walker, Jordana Brewster, Michelle Rodriguez, et al aren't given much to do. 

Split (2016)

NExi9g8A8TWwAD_1_b.jpg

James McAvoy gives a good performance ...

anya_taylor-joy_split_interview.jpg

Anya Taylor-Joy's star is rising ...

The movie could have been Shyamalan's new Unbreakable but somewhere down the line he forgot to make us care. A pity, for sure, because there was lots of potential. 

Alex

Born on the fourth of july.

Hmm... I suppose that there's a great movie hidden inside these 2 hours, but there's way too much scenes that really don't advance the story in any way. I appreciated the film in the beginning, but after he returned from the war, it took the main character like an hour to realise that the entire Vietnam thing was a total hoax and meanwhile, I was bored to death. The argument with the parents and the subsequent Mexico part was very touching, but all the unnecessary scenes throughout the film made the whole thing a lot less powerful than it could have been.

Williams' score is great. I just love how the main theme (strings section part) contains just one minor chord. It perfectly describes the two parts of the war (glory and utter failure) and how they are baanced in the film. Overall, the music was rather repetitive, but with such a great theme, it was hardly a problem.

And now I'm going to the bathroom to take a shower. It'll do my country a lot of good and I'm sure I'll feel more glorious, honorable, worthwile and prepared to fight and serve my people after a good shower. Fuck the world, fuck the war, fuck JWFan, fuck all of you, fuck communism!

Sully (2016)

SullyFF_1500x580.jpg

- Air Crash Investigation The Movie

- Tom Hanks specializes himself in playing the captain (Captain Miller, Captain Phillips, Captain Sully, ...)

- America loves a hero

- Another B&W depiction by patriot Eastwood

5/10

Life Of Brian - yes, I chose the finest religious satire ever made to take me into Easter Sunday ... 'He's NOT the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!'   

Live And Let Die - by way of tribute to Clifton James. Blaxploitation meets Bond in Moore's 007 debut, one of the series' more down-to-Earth(ish) entries.     

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I think the Vader from Rogue One was inspired by Jason Voorhees!

Are your refined Star Wars sensibilities still irked by the bothersome massacre sequence at the end of the movie? Are you still holding a passing grudge for the insult it is? 

Haywire - middling, convoluted action thriller which one suspects got its A-list cast to sign up due to Soderbergh's 'I'm retiring from directing' thing and they saw this as their last chance to be directed by him, as opposed to its script.

What?  Haywire is from 2012, 3 films before his "retirement".  I watched it because Gina Carano and enjoyed it fine for what it was.  Actually watched it with friends over and we were drinking and had a grand ole time

Grave of the Fireflies

Why the heck did I watch this right before finals? I can't afford this emotional burden right now. I thought the juxtaposition of happy scenes and sad/terrible scenes gave the film more weight than it would otherwise had. 

Because there's no explosions or dogfights in space in it, Richard?

RT: 93%

IMDb: 7,7/10

Metacritic: 78%

I rest my case.

32 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Because there's no explosions or dogfights in space in it, Richard?

RT: 93%

IMDb: 7,7/10

Metacritic: 78%

I rest my case.

Oh, Lord, you gave them eyes, but they cannot see. Nor can Alex...through the ratings. Don't believe what you read.

Well, maybe it was only a 6/10 movie but I gave it an extra point for the tone it uses. So much movies today treat the audience as if they are 10 years old. Ex-Machina is an modern exception.

Why is it that the three members here in their 50s (Alex, Richard, and Joey) like to constantly berate others for having a different opinion than they do about movies?  The rest of us talk about what we liked and don't liked about various movies but don't belittle others for their opinions on the same films.