The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Brie Larson said 4 times in one speech that she "definitely doesn't hate white men." 

The lady doth protest too much, me thinks.

Perhaps she's saying it 4 times because angry white internet geeks are going on about it over and over?

Kind of gross.  Take the power of social media to gather the nerds in one location.  Take the predilection of nerds to perseverate.  Mobilize that towards something negative instead of positive.

Read her original comments in isolation - remove them from editorializing or outrage/linkbait commentary.  Feel how you want to feel about them.  For me personally, it was a pretty straightforward call for more diversity in the review and reporting pool, that those opinions are valued and underreported.  That's not an attack on white men - it's an invitation to non-white-men.  There's a difference.

Again, feel how you want to feel.  But try to read the actual quote - or find a video - first and not portions of the quote filtered through commentary, if you can.

Clicks equal money!  It's true for news websites, it's true for "news" websites, it's true for YouTubers, it's true for social media.  The more something stupid is sensationalized, the more clicks you get and the more articles or videos you can make about it, increasing clicks again.  There's money in perpetuating geek outrage, and feeding it.  More money in hating things than liking things.  A real bummer.

34 minutes ago, dougie said:

Could you imagine the headlines if 9/11 happened now?

"NEW YORK DOWN! 1993 called, it wants its bombs back! And you'll never guess what happened next!"

"Terrorist Attack Blows Up the Internet; Twitter is Furious"

1 hour ago, dougie said:

"NEW YORK DOWN! 1993 called, it wants its bombs back! And you'll never guess what happened next!"

The reaction happened on the internet. It wouldn't be much different today 

1 hour ago, dougie said:

Breaking: "Trump being investigated for the 9/11 attacks!" 

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Breaking: "Trump being investigated for the 9/11 attacks!" 

Interesting that, since it's still considered heresy to even minutely suggest that the Bush Administration played a part in the attacks.

You can be blaśe about somethings but not the 911 attacks. Why the arab terrorists were far more guilty than trump, and much easier scapegoats.

4 minutes ago, dougie said:

Interesting that, since it's still considered heresy to even minutely suggest that the Bush Administration played a part in the attacks.

Bush doesn't build towers.

Just now, Stefancos said:

Why not?

Its a paraphrased Ti-Tanic quote silly.

19 minutes ago, dougie said:

...even though it was directly responsible.

16 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

You can be blaśe about somethings but not the 911 attacks. Why the arab terrorists were far more guilty than trump, and much easier scapegoats.

Bin Laden couldn't organize a piss-up in a brewery, let alone a major terrorist attack on the most powerful country in the history of all countries.

The USA government was to blame for 9/11, and I hate to think that they blame it on some silly fucking Laden, who didn't know shit, anyhow.

16 minutes ago, Richard said:

...even though it was directly responsible.

Bin Laden couldn't organize a piss-up in a brewery, let alone a major terrorist attack on the most powerful country in the history of all countries.

The USA government was to blame for 9/11, and I hate to think that they blame it on some silly fucking Laden, who didn't know shit, anyhow.

Such humor

I have 3 tickets for Saturday day at 3:55 pm. Center seat E13, E14, and E15. All thats left is to show up get Buttered popcorn and drinks and a hot nacho cheese cup to dip the popcorn it. 

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

When Brie gave her statistics on women and people of colour as film critics, she sees a low number and says "this is wrong. It should be equal." But she and others cannot understand the possibility of less women and people of colour wanting to be film critics. Instead they immediately say that if it isn't 50/50 white and black, and 50/50 man and woman, then it is racist and sexist.

Focus on her statements in the context, too, of their results/aftermath - the fact that the press corps covering this movie is made up of a significant number of women, POC, etc. proves that they're really out there working - often freelance, as she said.  These people didn't come from nowhere - they were already writers and critics.  They're just typically not the reporters/critics invited to these things because the big papers/websites don't hire them.

The point isn't necessarily "50% of critics should be men and 50% of critics should be women."  The point is "70% total of critics are men, and 30% of critics are women, but for some reason at this junket, 95% of critics are men and only 5% are women."

Who cares. There is no requirement that says jobs should be given out based on Demographics. Hell JWfan demographics are predominantly male. Maybe a girl or two and a transgendered person. Variety is not this sites forte.

5 hours ago, mstrox said:

The point isn't necessarily "50% of critics should be men and 50% of critics should be women."  The point is "70% total of critics are men, and 30% of critics are women, but for some reason at this junket, 95% of critics are men and only 5% are women."

If it were 100% men, or 100% female, I wouldn't have a problem - we already have large diversity of opinions online, and that's diversity not only within gender, but in ethnicity and geography. Perhaps this was a move on Marvel's part to try to be inclusive to men, considering this is a female-led film. 'I'm a man and this movie is great' etc. 

There isn't some hit out on female critics, those issues would need to be considered with their employment through a news agency or more common yet, an online entertainment network. 

If the women are making great movies I'll watch them. If the men are making great movies I'll watch them.

I will never watch a movie if it was made only to push a social agenda. That's not good cinema.

3 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I will never watch a movie if it was made only to push a social agenda. That's not good cinema.

Don't tell us, tell Kathleen Kennedy!

3 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

If the women are making great movies I'll watch them. If the men are making great movies I'll watch them.

This is a case of truly not knowing what he's talking about. What a seriously stupid comment.

Jerry you are very wrong. You may not agree with a films social agenda but that doesn't mean its not great cinema. 

Watch Triumph of the Will. It had an agenda that was repugnant and a lie but it is certainly great cinema. I enjoy a film whose message contrast to my own. A film that affects your emotions has power. Films have so much power, some you have to be receptive, some are more seductive and find a way in. Others are direct and in your face. 

10 minutes ago, dougie said:

Ehh really I was a bit bored by Leni Whatsherface's films.

Sucks that you can't appreciate history.

May I suggest something more simple like Day After Tomorrow. 

You've got a ways to go before you're ready for Schindler's List or to kill Mockingbird. I'm not sure you're ready for the color purple or The Grapes of Wrath. The other Jerry isn't ready either or receptive.

Just now, dougie said:

I appreciate it as a piece of history, but it's not exactly riveting or compelling entertainment.

sorry it's not Godzilla which also has a social agenda

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You watch Schindler's List for entertainment?

As if that was never a commercial product.

3 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

sorry it's not Godzilla which also has a social agenda

Fake news! The Japanese never meant for Godzilla as a metaphor for the atomic bomb!

If you enjoyed the film Schindler's List then that satisfies the use of the word entertainment. That in no way means that you enjoy the actions of the German Nazis characters in the movie.

Exactly. SL has a gripping narrative featuring characters you enjoy following and you empathise for them as the story progresses.

But Leni R's admittedly impressive experimental dabblings into symmetry and framing can only keep me interested for so long.

5 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I enjoy a film whose message contrast to my own.

Same.

Braveheart's jingoism is diametrically opposed to my worldview. But its a monumental film.

However, to support @The Illustrious Jerry's point a little bit, on top of its drama and its themes, its royally entertaining, so...

12 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

This is a case of truly not knowing what he's talking about. What a seriously stupid comment.

Okay...

12 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Jerry you are very wrong. You may not agree with a films social agenda but that doesn't mean its not great cinema. 

It's not about agreeing with a social agenda, and I never said that that was the case. I said:

16 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

What social agenda that may be? Who knows. If films are just becoming tools for social movements, then they are most certainly not made with the classic idea of producing a film, but they are made with the hope that this will inspire audiences or perhaps impact viewpoints. Of course, that is an objective that is not at all shameful, at least I don't believe it's gotten to that point. However, is it really about the film at that point? There's no problem with a greater message beyond the screen, but if that's all you've got then I'm not sure I could enjoy that type of film.

Its very different to the old epics, though: its grizzly, and irreverent, where the 50s and 60s epics were often sanitized and pompous.

Had to cancel our plans to see Captain Marv tonight due to babysitting issues - so we'll be seeing it next weekend or the following.  Now we're guaranteed low crowds!

On 3/8/2019 at 12:34 PM, mstrox said:

Had to cancel our plans to see Captain Marv tonight due to babysitting issues - so we'll be seeing it next weekend or the following.  Now we're guaranteed low crowds!

Our 355 showing sold out.