Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

10 hours ago, Quintus said:

Well, movies are still business ventures with the usual financial risks. It's no different to a business person seeking partners or backers to get a project of the ground. 50 million is a hell of a lot of money to anybody, even billionaires. 

Yes, film will always be a business first and an art form second. I don't buy the sentiment that Spielberg, arguably the most popular blockbuster filmmaker, can't find the money to make a small historical biopic. I guess it all worked out in the end, but why even let your personal projects reach a lower standard just because someone else won't pay for it?

I like the George Clooney/Brad Pitt method. Make a surefire success film and then take that money to make an arthouse film they know no one will see, because y'know, they can afford it.

4 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Star Wars not included on the Producers' Guild top 10 films list

Definitely kills any Oscar nomination buzz it had going for it. Even Abrams' Star Trek made it on here in 2009.

Ex Machina

Ugh! 

Actually, Avatar sold more tickets than Gone With The Wind. GWTW was re released countless times, but in its inital run that actually lasted for 2 years, it sold less tickets than Avatar. And next week Star Wars would have more too when it passes the adjusted gross of Avatar in the U.S. (around 830 million). 

He's predicting Samuel L Jackson will surpass Ford again simply because of the Marvel movies he'll be in in the next 4 years

Just heard that the midnight takings for China were almost twice as big as Jurassic World's takings. That would point to over 300 million in China. 

Also there's this nice bit of news too -

http://collider.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-box-office-record-uk/ it just passed Skyfall as biggest of all time. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Too nihilistic?

The film worships at the altar of Stanley Kubrick, without understanding the convictions, wit and deeply moral sensibility behind the master's pre-Shining work. Like David Fincher, Jonathan Glazer and Thomas Vinterberg before him, Alex Garland appropriates the aesthetics and misanthropy of late Kubrick. A hipster's vanity project (a case of "look how sophisticated I am with my coolly objective steadicam, cynical use of pop songs and probing wide angle lenses"), nothing more than that. Oscar Isaac and Alicia Vikander do the best with what they've got, but Domnall Gleeson makes for a dull protagonist. I don't know whether it's the attempt at a generic American accent or the director's fault, but he's not convincing.

The Force Awakens is a long way from a masterpiece, but it never pretends to be one.

17 hours ago, Scarpia said:

But those $300 million were just made in the midnight premiere. I can see that number multiplying in a matter of days.

It didn't make 300 million at midnight... China will finish with about 300 million.

Kinda funny to think back to the beginning of the year when people were wondering if Avengers 2 or Star Wars 7 would ultimately win out at the box office, and then in the summer if it could end up below Jurassic World.

On 10/21/2015 at 1:46 AM, Drax said:

A lot of fans are making their predicitons about the film's box office revenue. I think their fanatical commitment to the Star Wars brand is clouding their judgement, resulting in over inflated expectations as to how much it will make, and forgetting to take its winter release date into account. The fact is people's viewing behaviour is different in December to how it is in the summer months. I think their claim that it will do $250 million on opening weekend is outlandish because they're expecting summer dollars in a winter movie.

So here's how I reckon it will do:

Assuming weather is fine, The Force Awakens will be the biggest December opening in the US, with about $100 million. This will dethrone The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and its $80-odd million opening. If there's a blizzard, Star Wars is in trouble.

However, over the course of its theatrical run, if its good, it could do Jurassic World numbers in the $650 million range. Worldwide, I expect about $1.5 to $1.7 billion. And I'm being generous.

Tee hee