Rey's Theme – John Williams' Best Theme Yet?

BLUMENKOHL

Rey's Theme – John Williams' Best Theme Yet?   

104 members have voted

1. 1. Rey's Theme ? John Williams' Best Theme Yet?

• YES! Sweeping, malleable, chameleon, fresh, beautiful, and perfect!
    • NO! It's terrible!
    • Maybe, it's too early to tell, but it keeps growing on me!
    • I'm a Communist and believe all themes are equal, though Rey's Theme is more equal than other themes.
    • I don't have any opinion yet

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Still haven't figured out how to embed videos. The last time it did automatically transfer the YT link, now it doesn't...

You paste in the URL then press ENTER, and it turns into an embed right there in your edit window

I've found it works if the URL is the standard format ("www. youtube .com / watch ? v=" format), but not so much the other formats (youtu.be, or with a bunch of junk after the "watch?v=xxx" part

Take the "s" out of https and then hit enter at the end of the link while still in edit mode.  It should embed the video.

7 hours ago, publicist said:

Still haven't figured out how to embed videos. The last time it did automatically transfer the YT link, now it doesn't...

Love that short middle section that only builds once to a fanfare.  I also like that he used that punctuation a few times throughout the score for different reasons, like when

Rey is running away into the forest after talking with Maz about the Force, or when she's escaping the imploding planet at the end.

Yeah, I only just made that particular connection recently. 

If nothing else, I'm discovering that this is definitely one of Williams' most multi-faceted themes. Does he have any others that run through quite as many ideas as this one does, most of them getting strong moments in the score too?

It's because he typed spoilers instead of spoiler.  I fixed his post.

(BTW, the new eyeball icon will make spoiler tags for you)

5 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

I did try to edit my post like 5 times but it wouldn't save.  Thanks.

I found on the new sit that often times after you hit "Submit Reply" or "Save Changes", it sits there saying "Saving..." looking like its not doing anything, but if you just wait a few seconds it always goes through.

When I hit save it appeared to submit it right away but then it made my post look empty.  It wasn't stuck on "saving...".  I left the tab open for a couple of minutes but it didn't change.  When I refreshed the page it was the unedited post.  It was weird, never had that happen.  It could be my work PC doing stuff with the cache.

I'm looking at the question and would like a clarification:

When we say "Best theme yet" we mean from all the film music Williams has ever written?

Or just the Force Awakens score?

If the first is true, then there are 15 people that believe Rey's theme is the best theme ever written by Williams leaving behind the themes from Schindler's List, E.T., Jurassic park, Indiana Jones, Superman, Harry Potter, Empire Strikes Back, Born on the 4th of July, Empire of the Sun, A.I. etc. etc.?

30 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I'm looking at the question and would like a clarification:

When we say "Best theme yet" we mean from all the film music Williams has ever written?

Or just the Force Awakens score?

If the first is true, then there are 15 people that believe Rey's theme is the best theme ever written by Williams leaving behind the themes from Schindler's List, E.T., Jurassic park, Indiana Jones, Superman, Harry Potter, Empire Strikes Back, Born on the 4th of July, Empire of the Sun, A.I. etc. etc.?

Yes, you interpreted the poll correctly.

1 hour ago, Taikomochi said:

I think it's a better theme than Schindler's List, Empire of the Sun, and Born on the 4th of July for sure.

Without a shadow of doubt. Plus it's better than a host of Star Wars themes. Rey's Theme > Yoda's, Luke & Leia's, Cloud City's,  blah blah blah.