The Lord Of The Rings General Discussion Thread

Faleel

On 27/05/2023 at 8:50 AM, Nick1Ø66 said:

Who wants to play a first person game where you clean house all day

There are a few house cleaning games that are quite popular. A Potter coat of paint, and it would probably do well.

• 5 months later...

I rewatched Return Of The King today since a couple of years ago (the theatrical cut).

An observation I made, more of a feeling, is that the first 30 minutes of the film or so are kind of disjointed, and don't come together very smoothly; and it almost feels like there is little to no plot to drive it forward, or more precisely, that the reason for the Gandalf-Pippin journey isn't as clearly explained as it could have.

Like Jackson wrestled with seguing the loose threads from Two Towers, and getting them over with to delve into his RotK plot as simply as possible.

I keep forgetting it, but I'm always amazed when I watch it that in the beginning, again about the first 30 minutes, the movie is on the brink of boring me.

On the flipside, the movie shifts gears and keeps shifting them upwards to a ridiculous level, like no other.

From about the forging of Narsil scene onwards, one memorable setpiece follows the other. There's even some scenes that I would consider beautiful art by themselves. Like Faramir's sacrifice, or the scene that is Ash & Smoke.

The scale of the movie keeps climbing and climbing.

The Return of the King is a cinematic masterpiece, and is an absolutely triumphant finale to the greatest motion picture trilogy of all time.

But The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers are better films. ROTK was never going to be the sheer perfection that the first film was, but with some different choices it might have been better than the second. The material is certainly there.

The Return of the King is third among equals. But it must be said that it packs the most raw emotional punch of the three.

On 22/11/2023 at 5:13 AM, bollemanneke said:

Hobbit chapter 3. "I wish I could tell you some of the stories they heard at Elrond's house". Well, what's stopping you?

They were all either Unfinished or Lost. ;)

You know, I read stuff like this:

For myself, I would see the White Tree in flower again in the courts of the kings, and the Silver Crown return, and Minas Tirith in peace: Minas Anor again as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a queen among other queens: not a mistress of many slaves, nay, not even a kind mistress of willing slaves. War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Númenor; and I would have her loved for her memory, her ancientry, her beauty, and her present wisdom. Not feared, save as men may fear the dignity of a man, old and wise.

and the films can seem like downright buffooneries. 

They did incorporate that passage into the text of the choral lyrics of "The Departure of Boromir" from the films. So at the very least the music will never seem like buffooneries! 

Sure, whatever my issues with the music in LotR, it is nothing if not deeply in love with Tolkien.

I think my issue, shown in the passage I shared, is with my growing belief that some works of art are so intrinsically of the medium they were created in that any adaptation lessens its aesthetic value. LotR is a fundamentally literary work. As much as I love them, the films are skeletal fragments of a proud and noble creature. They can give you the essence of the thing, but not the thing itself.

19 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

Sure, whatever my issues with the music in LotR, it is nothing if not deeply in love with Tolkien.

I think my issue, shown in the passage I shared, is with my growing belief that some works of art are so intrinsically of the medium they were created in that any adaptation lessens its aesthetic value. LotR is a fundamentally literary work. As much as I love them, the films are skeletal fragments of a proud and noble creature. They can give you the essence of the thing, but not the thing itself.

What a long winded way of saying "the films are not the books"

;)

• 2 months later...

It lends the sequence a bit more of a mythical feel as you're not seeing any real characters except Sauron. The final bit with the one ring is a bit underwhelming though.

It just makes me appreciate how beautiful the film is shot with the contrast of the glow of the elves, the greys of the dwarves, and the darkness of the men, eventually leading to the orange fires of Mount Doom. Whereas that intro is very repetitive visually. 

11 hours ago, Faleel said:

Fellowship of the Ring PS5.

Yeah, it looks like something from a video game to me. Or even worse, Rings of Power.

• 2 weeks later...