mrbellamy

Quentin Tarantino to possibly direct next Star Trek film

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Which director would you choose instead of him?

Director? I dunno. Star Trek isnt really about directors. Matthew Reeves would probably be a safe pair of hands. Right now Star Trek needs a good show runner more than anything else.

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Director? I dunno. Star Trek isnt really about directors. Matthew Reeves would probably be a safe pair of hands. Right now Star Trek needs a good show runner more than anything else.

Star Trek fans want everything to stay the same.

4 hours ago, John said:

The franchise is on its last legs anyways; it may as well go out in a blaze of glory. 

Right. It’s not like Tarantino’s one-off movie will be “the new direction” for Star Trek, just one guy’s take, a guy who at least has an idea of something fun to do with it. I’d watch it!

As for TV, I think the ideal would be to just do a Next Next Generation. New crew, on a new Enterprise, in the “present” timeline, with an episodic format and an emphasis on deep space exploration like the original. I think the producers have felt hemmed in by several factors — 1. Extensive backlog of old shows/episodes; 2. The current (theoretically) movie series; 3. The Orville. But I think they just need to get over it, and do it right, with great fanfare and with an A-list cast and a writing team with some serious sci-fi chops.

43 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

As for TV, I think the ideal would be to just do a Next Next Generation. New crew, on a new Enterprise, in the “present” timeline, with an episodic format and an emphasis on deep space exploration like the original. I think the producers have felt hemmed in by several factors — 1. Extensive backlog of old shows/episodes; 2. The current (theoretically) movie series; 3. The Orville. But I think they just need to get over it, and do it right, with great fanfare and with an A-list cast and a writing team with some serious sci-fi chops.

Oof. The Next Generation was already a riff on the original premise, why would we want to see that idea played out for a third time? Not to mention, we've already seen three full-fledged generations of an Enterprise crew.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

More good to great Trek was produced under Berman than anyone else.

There isn’t really anything to hate about Enterprise, it’s just they were clearly running on fumes at that point.

I think that all boils down to the post-1997 sound mixes of the movies tending to favor SFX over music and that one clip where he drowns out some epic bombast in Episode III with explosion sounds and Lucas tells him to lower it down.

Rick Berman inherited ST after Roddenberry by most accounts was fucking it up. It improved with the later seasons of TNG, DS9 and Voyager after a bumpy start. That was the golden age of ST.