Wich score do you like better:The Book Thief of Schindler's List?

King Mark

Book Thief vs Schindler's List  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Book Thief vs Schindler's List

• Book Thief
    • Schindler's List

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Does it have to?

What would make sense? Why do you say it's from a different era?

Because a filmmaker either has a specific point to reference older eras and filmmaker's traits, like 'Far from Heaven' did with those old Douglas Sirk movies - it reflected them from a modern perspective - , or he just emulates those cinematic gestures (in War Horse it's mainly John Ford, King Vidor, and Clarence Brown) to elicit certain calculated old-school effects (especially in framing and storytelling) - which is exactly as a lot of WH feels to me, and i suspect that Williams came under a lot of criticism for his score because the movie needed more 'heart', so to speak, to draw people in and accommodate such lush scoring. The boy never was a match for Elizabeth Taylor's performance in 'National Velvet', and in a nutshell that's the movie's problem: it looks and feels like an old MGM soaper but it just doesn't click like those did, or worse, makes a parody of them (i. e. reunion scene).

I find Kaminski's camera work here very strong, and some scenes, like the scenes with the old peasant, do work well so maybe it's really best suited for children who look at something like this for the first time. 

15 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

True story: I bought this album as a freshman in high school 10 years ago. The day after I got it, I was sick, and stayed home from school (on the day we were supposed to start watching Schindler's List in English class, no less!) So I thought, "Well, if I can't watch the movie, might as well listen to the soundtrack!" 

I popped the CD in my player, heard the first track, thought, "That was nice". Then the second track, Jewish Town,  played. After it was done, I stared wide-eyed at my CD player for a moment, pressed the previous track button, then the repeat button. I then proceeded to listen to Jewish Town for _six hours_ straight, and I did not once get tired of it.

"Jewish Town" was the piece that did me in when I first played the album as well. I had a strange phase back in high school where Schindler's List used to be on repeat for weeks.

Just now, KK said:

"Jewish Town" was the piece that did me in when I first played the album as well. I had a strange phase back in high school where this album used to be on repeat for weeks.

Hell yeah! Dare I call you...a brother?

It's also much more austere, harmonically and in terms of orchestration. It's really the only part i like, together with the quieter moments (Nacht Aktion, Auschwitz) that break with the overt Hollywood romanticism of the rest.

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

I can't wait to give The Book Thief a listen when the weather becomes more chilly... usually somewhere around early November. Yes, it is a bit of a Angela's Ashes Light but the music really speaks to me for whatever reaaon.

I only listened to the whole album once, but I do love the main theme. I say this many times, but I hope the Oscar suite one day gets professionally recorded, it's truly the strongest representation of the score.

18 hours ago, publicist said:

It's also much more austere, harmonically and in terms of orchestration. It's really the only part i like, together with the quieter moments (Nacht Aktion, Auschwitz) that break with the overt Hollywood romanticism of the rest.

I’ve always felt SL broke from that more as a whole, reminding me of a European type score in the vain of Piovani, Karaindrou or even Morricone, which tend to be a bit on the sentimental side as well. I don’t hear much ‘Hollywood’ in it...

The orchestral setting is very stereotypical Hollywood (the same approach was chosen for films/tv series with similar topics like Conti's 'Murderers among Us', 'Holocaust' or Delerue's 'Sobibor' and several others), compare that to Morricone's 'Fateless' (again, similar theme), which harmonic and orchestral choices are much more individualistic. Kilar would have been my choice for SL, based on 'Exodus', the trailer piece.

The Nazis were the ultimate book thieves

7 hours ago, Score said:

The whole track is probably my favourite cue from the score (together with the Auschwitz piece). It's a perfect match for the movie scene: the tone switches from danger to hope/nobility (the horns + violas chorale) to sadness when the list has to be stopped because the money is over, and the characters seem to realize the meaning of the list and of the whole situation. As far as I am concerned, this is perfect scoring.

That string interlude that plays as Schindler negotiates with the camp director is absolutely incredible

5 hours ago, TownerFan said:

I think Williams' music perfectly captures this spirit, hence it shouldn't be quickly dismissed as Hollywood schmaltz.

I didn't see anyone quickly dismiss anything here - I think both myself and Pub have carefully considered our thoughts, but alas, it seems less than glowing opinions will be seen as just that, or as apathy, cynicism, etc. as in previous posts. 

Sidebar:

Just found this Lockhart/BPO album that has the "Immolation" cue from Schindler's list sandwiched between Around the World in 80 Days and Gigi....and two tracks before The Producers 😳

image.png

That's, uh, quite an album assembly there.