Jump to content
JoeinAR

Did you see this film in the theatre in its original release?

How many actually saw these films in the theatre during its release?  

28 members have voted

  1. 1. Did you see this John Williams film in its first run at the theatre?

    • Fiddler on the Roof
    • Poseidon Adventure
    • The Towering Inferno
    • JAWS
    • Star Wars
    • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    • The Fury
    • JAWS 2
    • Superman the Movie
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Raider of the Lost Ark
    • E.T. the Extra-terrestrial
    • Return of the Jedi
    • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    • Home Alone
    • Jurassic Park
    • Schindler's List
    • Saving Private Ryan
    • The Phantom Menace


Recommended Posts

I've seen every John Williams-scored film from The Patriot to present in the theater, with the exception of Memoirs of a Geisha, which I missed.

 

Prior to The Patriot, I saw Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Saving Private Ryan, and Phantom Menace in the theater.


My parents might have taken me with them when they went to see Empire Strike Back and Return of the Jed in the theateri, but I don't remember.  I was 0 and 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've seen every John Williams-scored film from The Patriot to present in the theater, with the exception of Memoirs of a Geisha, which I missed.

 

Prior to The Patriot, I saw Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Saving Private Ryan, and Phantom Menace in the theater.


My parents might have taken me with them when they went to see Empire Strike Back and Return of the Jed in the theateri, but I don't remember.  I was 0 and 3.

I figured the likelyhood of the 21st century films  being seen was much greater so I stayed with the 20th century. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the list above, I've seen all films from THE LAST CRUSADE onwards upon their original cinema release. Some of the earlier ones, I've also seen in cinemas -- but only as rereleases or one-off special screenings in later years.

 

I cannot recall what my first cinema experience was, but it was no doubt in the early 80s. Probably '82 or '83 or thereabouts, when I was 5-6 years old. But I have no memory of seeing any of the films on the list in those years. They were all seen on VHS/TV/DVD/Blu-ray etc. later on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Those are the ones I've seen in a theatre when they were first released:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Star Wars
     
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
     
  • Superman the Movie
     
  • The Empire Strikes Back
     
  • Raider of the Lost Ark
     
  • E.T. the Extra-terrestrial
     
  • Return of the Jedi
     
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
     
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
     
  • Jurassic Park
     
  • Schindler's List
     
  • Saving Private Ryan
     
  • The Phantom Menace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Impressed that JoeinAR saw FIDDLER upon its first release. I thought you were much younger, Joe. Have you seen some Williams-scored films that even pre-date that upon first release?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, if we are counting re-releases, then I've seen plenty of pre-Patriot Williams scored films in the theater.  Namely all the Star Wars and all the Indiana Joneses, ET, CE3K, and Jaws

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

when KOTC is your first JW score heard live at the cinema (don't worry, mine was ROTS)

 

Did I say it was my first JW score heard in the cinema?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Including films not in the poll:

  • Return of the Jedi
  • Hook
  • Far and Away
  • Jurassic Park
  • Schindler's List
  • The Phantom Menace
  • Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
  • War of the Worlds
  • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
  • War Horse
  • Lincoln

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Why is Hook left out? Because Joe didn't see it?

 

Joey has zero respect for Hook as a movie or Williams score. 

 

I doubt Hook counts as a tent pole by anyone's standards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, xWxzek said:

 

Joey has zero respect for Hook as a movie or Williams score. 

 

I doubt Hook counts as a tent pole by anyone's standards. 

 

Probably not the film, but I know a lot of people put the score very high in JW's ouvre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This graybeard saw Star Wars back in the day.  Me Grandma took my sisters and I to the theater, gave us some money for popcorn, and told us where she would pick us up.  She may have gone to get her hair done while we saw the movie; I never asked, but her salon was about two blocks from the theater.

 

Oh, and HAN SHOT FIRST!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The film is quite well thought off as a Christmas staple.

 

Where on Earth is Hook a Christmas staple? The looney bin? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Thor said:

Impressed that JoeinAR saw FIDDLER upon its first release. I thought you were much younger, Joe. Have you seen some Williams-scored films that even pre-date that upon first release?

I am 58 so Valley of the Dolls was the first JW film I saw in the theatre. I  saw Fiddler during my 5th or 6th grader. I remember first seeing Johnny Williams name on the credits of Gilligan's Island. I annoyed my mother so much that she gave in and let me watch the premiere of Lost in Space in 1965. Perhaps my first fan boy moment was seeing Johnny Williams name in the credits that night and making the connection that Johnny was the same from both shows.

3 hours ago, Ghostbusters II said:

Hook was the first Spielberg movie I saw in the movies. I voted for Star Wars: Episode One.

I didn't include Hook which I did see. I didn't include Always which I saw. I didn't include Earthquake, Eiger Sanction, Missouri Breaks, Midway, Space Camp, and several others. I tried to include the tent poles. Not the failures or the forgotten. I used the films titles not the bombers 

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

 

Joe probably considers it unworthy.

It shouldn't take a genius to figure out (or possibly read my reply to Jason) that I went only with the 20th Century films

So Jurassic Shark how old are you. At least 48/49 by my count if you told the truth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fabulin said:

Semantics. Obviously by party I meant experiencing something together with the world for the first time. 

 

You are not making a great deal of sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, John said:

 

You are not making a great deal of sense.

So what was your 1st JW scored film in the theatre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I am 58 so Valley of the Dolls was the first JW film I saw in the theatre. I  saw Fiddler during my 5th or 6th grader. I remember first seeing Johnny Williams name on the credits of Gilligan's Island. I annoyed my mother so much that she gave in and let me watch the premiere of Lost in Space in 1965. Perhaps my first fan boy moment was seeing Johnny Williams name in the credits that night and making the connection that Johnny was the same from both shows.

 

That's cool. Must have been exciting to follow Williams' rise to fame in "realtime" (well, he was already kinda famous when LOST IN SPACE and GILLIGAN'S ISLAND were on, but not A list, of course). By the time I was made aware of him, he was already the biggest film composer in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw Phantom Menace in a theaters as a wee four year old baby.  I really liked the scene where the little boy stole the starship and then the mean looking Jedi went after him, and then one of the Jedi catches on fire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything from Superman on down I saw during their original release. I also saw CE3K during its original release. 

 

My dad was stationed in Germany in 1977 and for whatever reason, the us military theaters did not show Star Wars overseas. They showed every other film, but I never found out why Star Wars never made it. I had to wait until 79 to see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

Everything from Superman on down I saw during their original release. I also saw CE3K during its original release. 

 

My dad was stationed in Germany in 1977 and for whatever reason, the us military theaters did not show Star Wars overseas. They showed every other film, but I never found out why Star Wars never made it. I had to wait until 79 to see it.

 

Were you still in Germany in '79? If so, was the movie really hyped up there by that point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ghostbusters II said:

 

Hook, but you didn't include it as an option. So I voted for The Phantom Menace 

Its such a bad film. Truely an abomination I am sorry it was your first experience. Thankfully you moved past it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

 

Were you still in Germany in '79? If so, was the movie really hyped up there by that point?

 

Star Wars was a global phenomenon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...