The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's had 3 different eras of his career:

First was a run of amazing video game scores, peppered with early tv drama work (94-03)

Next was the amazingness of LOST (04-10), with some excellent Pixar scores among that but nothing else super fantastic in the film world

And now we're in his big blockbuster film era (2011-present), full of big epic scores, most of which are pretty great!

I love his LOST more than anything else, but apart from Incredibles, Ratatouille and Up, his best film work is happening right now!

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Next was the amazingness of LOST (04-10), with some excellent Pixar scores among that but nothing else super fantastic in the film world

His two best scores (Speed Racer and Let Me In) were in this time period!

If I had to populate a Top 15 Giacchino Scores list, it would have to include a bunch of scores I'm largely indifferent to.

EDIT:  Just made a quick list, and there are just enough Giacchino scores I love to fill a top 10.

Alphabetically,

Top 10
The Incredibles
Inside Out
John Carter
Jupiter Ascending
Jurassic World
Ratatouille
Star Trek Beyond
Star Trek Into Darkness
Super 8
Tomorrowland

11-15
Cloverfield
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
Mission: Impossible III
Star Trek
Up

The rest
Cars 2
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Doctor Strange
The Family Stone
Land of the Lost
Let Me In
Rogue One
Sky High
Speed Racer
Zootopia

The ones I haven't heard
50/50
Earth Days
Legal Deceit
Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World
Monte Carlo
My Brother the Pig
Semper Fi
Sin
This Is Where I Leave You

The Trouble with Lou

No real order:

Up

John Carter

Super 8

Star Trek

Into Darkness

Tomorrowland

Rogue One

The Incredibles

Inside Out

Ghost Protocol

5 hours ago, Jay said:

It's annoying that Erik Woods has promos of all those obscure early scores but we'll never hear them :(

He did play suites on cinematic sound one time for a few of them. Glad I recorded that one!

21 hours ago, Brian99_1 said:

He did play suites on cinematic sound one time for a few of them. Glad I recorded that one!

Yea, its great that he has played selections from Giacchino's obscure early works, but it would be really nice if us big fans could listen to the whole promos whenever we wanted to.  Pity...

Agreed where's our Semper Fi, Trouble with Lou, or SIN!!! ;) 
Maybe someday... hey they released Sky High! Albeit that's from a major studio.

I actually almost watched 50/50 on Netflix just to hear the score for the first time... might still actually do it.

50/50 is a very good film, well worth your time.  Don't remember what the score is like, though (I am pretty sure there isn't a lot of it in the film, anyway).

This Is Where I Leave You is not as good of a film (nice cast, though), but does have a more memorable score (and one long enough you could make an album out of it, I think)

• 2 months later...

Good. Good.

I'd like Fernando Velazquez to score Batman some day. His gothic dramatic style would fit perfectly.

I thought Giacchino's new Imperial March could fit Batman when I first heard it. Sounds 80's gothic.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On 7/2/2017 at 1:44 AM, Disco Stu said:

For the wedding I'm at tonight, the bridal recessional was to Giacchino's theme from Up. It was kind of perfect, actually.

The era of Zimmer is over. The era of Giacchino is about to begin.

We'll know when Dunkirk hits. Zimmer seems tired of general scoring. Hence his need for a big tour break to just play music and score less huge blockbusters. My guess is he is winding down for a few years. 

• 3 weeks later...

My battles with MG are prolonged. I still cannot understand the recording processes he uses - yes, a 70s child will press for a nostalgic sound. But how does this fit with the MG team when Wachowskis demand a proper score or Kathleen Kennedy stops the recording manwanking that MG implements - surely someone out there will say - 'Hey Mike, why does this sound like shit?'.

Regardless, I have spent the last week listening to MG scores. And this stuff works. Jupiter Ascending will be known as Krull for orchestral mayhem in years to come. Speed Racer is awesome, and the score for the latest Planet is just astonoshing.