The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

Giacchino just favorited this tweet about Spielberg's birthday.  Past occasions have shown that once Giacchino starts buddying up with a filmmaker, it usually means there's a new assignment on the way.  Keep Ready Player One and Indiana Jones 5 in your prayers... 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Giacchino just favorited this tweet about Spielberg's birthday.  Past occasions have shown that once Giacchino starts buddying up with a filmmaker, it usually means there's a new assignment on the way.  Keep Ready Player One and Indiana Jones 5 in your prayers... 

Confirmation he will be scoring Indy V! 

1 minute ago, RPurton said:

Confirmation he will be scoring Indy V! 

I'd take that over him scoring Ready Player One.  It would be such a shame for the most intriguing future Williams project to end up with another half-baked Disney score from Giacchino.  

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

This might be the most insane jump from point A to point Z I've ever seen in my life! 

8 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

There's nothing in Newman's career to indicate he could right something like Indy.

But then again there was nothing in Shore's career pre-LOTR to indicate that he could write something like LOTR.

*cough*The Good German*cough*

This is great. Love this show.

Not My Job: We Quiz Composer Michael Giacchino On Decomposition

http://www.npr.org/2016/12/24/506671642/not-my-job-we-quiz-composer-michael-giacchino-on-decomposition?sc=tw

1 hour ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

There's plenty of music that anticipates LOTR in Shore's earlier work, just not all in one place.  You have his choral writing in Looking for Richard, ethnic inspirations in Naked Lunch, M. Butterfly, and others, harsh, experimental writing in Crash and The Cell, rich, dense orchestration in The Fly and Single White Female, and gorgeous melodic textures in Mrs. Doubtfire, A Kiss Before Dying, and The Silence of the Lambs.

Sure. I meant more to the size of the score. LOTR is absolutely an enormous musical work, absolute full blast Wagnerian with literally over 50 motifs and themes over the entire work, choral passages, huge statements of many themes in many scenes, very complex interplay of musical ideas. The enormity of the work I don't think was anticipated even though like you say individual elements perhaps were.

Even as a fan I would say he delivered above and beyond what could be expected from him.

14 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Sure. I meant more to the size of the score. LOTR is absolutely an enormous musical work, absolute full blast Wagnerian with literally over 50 motifs and themes over the entire work, choral passages, huge statements of many themes in many scenes, very complex interplay of musical ideas. The enormity of the work I don't think was anticipated even though like you say individual elements perhaps were.

Even as a fan I would say he delivered above and beyond what could be expected from him.

OK, I'd agree with that.  I was thinking more stylistically, along the lines of saying nothing along the lines of Sahara could've been predicted from Mansell before it happened, or nothing akin to Skyfall from Newman.

20 hours ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

There's plenty of music that anticipates LOTR in Shore's earlier work, just not all in one place.  You have his choral writing in Looking for Richard, ethnic inspirations in Naked Lunch, M. Butterfly, and others, harsh, experimental writing in Crash and The Cell, rich, dense orchestration in The Fly and Single White Female, and gorgeous melodic textures in Mrs. Doubtfire, A Kiss Before Dying, and The Silence of the Lambs.

One of my favorite discoveries of the past couple of years was his Nobody's Fool score, which is a wonderful precursor to the pastoral, idyllic music of the Shire.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this deserves its own thread or not, but Sky High is finally getting a release from Intrada.

Track List:

01. Sky High Opening (4:48)
02. Trouble Downtown (0:46)
03. Next Stop… Sky High (1:35)
04. Round-Up (0:36)
05. Welcome To Sky High (1:11)
06. Power Placement (Brandon Christy/Michael Giacchino) (2:31)
07. Still Looking/Stare Down (0:28)
08. Lollipopless/The Secret Sanctum (3:55)
09. Medulla All Blown-Uppa/I’m A Sidekick (1:41)
10. Vat’s An Idea!/Respect The Hat (1:14)
11. Cafeteria Brawl/Proud Papa (3:34)
12. Movin’ On Up (0:34)
13. A Friendly Wave (0:33)
14. Sidekicked Out (0:52)
15. Save The Citizen And Private Tutor (Michael Giacchino/Kevin Riepl/Chris Tilton) (4:04)
16. Kiss Of Death (0:56)
17. Homecoming News/Makeout Sanctum (1:28)
18. Keeping Promises (0:42)

19. She’s Totally Into You (0:37)
20. Gotta Get To Sky High (1:23)
21. Pacified (3:41)
22. Fighting Back (1:24)
23. Royal Pain Is Monologuing (4:38)
24. That Could’ve Been Messy (3:03)
25. You Saved Sky High (1:14)
26. Sky High End Credits (2:02)
      Time: 49:50

The Extras (Additional Cues)
27. Bus Away (0:10)
28. Power Placement – Coda (Brandon Christy/Michael Giacchino)* (0:08)
29. Starting With You (0:10)
30. A Friendly Wave (Alternate Take)* (0:32)
      Extras Time: 1:04

Total Time: 51:10

• 1 month later...

Giacchino could easily fit his style into the DC universe. I don't understand why this is a thing? If any of the people working on a DC film wanted Giacchino, why would the studio/company say no?

Would it be the first time someone from the Marvel CU has scored a film in the DC universe? Other than Danny Elfman, I guess.

EDIT: Ah yes, Zimmer did Spiderman under Sony.

YESSSS. Please let GIacchino score this film...

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Would it be the first time someone from the Marvel CU has scored a film in the DC universe? Other than Danny Elfman, I guess.

EDIT: Ah yes, Zimmer did Spiderman under Sony.

In fact GIacchino has to score the batman.

Both zimmer and Elfman scored the two Superheroes.

55 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Imagine a Batman movie and/or score that is LESS depressing than the recent Superman ones.

Imagine two years respite from shitty comic book movies altogether!

5 hours ago, RPurton said:

Giacchino could easily fit his style into the DC universe. I don't understand why this is a thing? If any of the people working on a DC film wanted Giacchino, why would the studio/company say no?

I would be shocked if Giacchino didn't end up scoring The Batman. Reeves has amassed some clout with the critical and financial success of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and his two films prior have been critically praised. The fact that WB has secured him for the Batfleck before War of the Planet of the Apes comes out is a good sign for that film as well.

9 hours ago, publicist said:

Imagine two years respite from shitty comic book movies altogether!

It seems that most "generally fun adventure films" these days are exclusively Marvel comic book films.

Or other Disney ones: Their live action remakes, Star Wars and the occasional Pirates of the Caribbean.

Does nobody else care about making such films anymore?

Hollywood Studios have to follow the money, Pieter.  It appears today's average moviegoer like dark and gritty >shrug<

53 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hollywood Studios have to follow the money, Pieter.  It appears today's average moviegoer like dark and gritty >shrug<

Indeed I must be in the minority.

On the other hand, Disney is making all the money.

Plus Jurassic World also was stupidly successful and that wasn't dark and gritty either.

So maybe Hollywood Studios are misinterpreting the situation a bit.

I get lovely Jurassic Park feelings at 3:54 - 4:25

He has written a few themes that fit the Jurassic Park series recently, outside of his own Jurassic World score of course. Like his above Hope theme, and his Yorktown theme. Both would sit nicely in the JP series.

I think Giacchino is only getting better at  writing melodies and memorable themes. I think his prime is still to come.