What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

That was a "meh" one too. Very loud (as typical of Doyle), with themes I didn't particularly find interesting and it just wasn't my cup of tea.

I much prefer his score for La Ligne Droite from the same year.

I like that one too. I haven't heard much of Brian Tyler's Thor score.

Even louder! Full of generic power anthems, and blasting choirs, yada yada...

Silvestri's MCU contributions have been pretty strong compared to what others have done. I'd rather have a dozen Silvestri MCU scores than three Henry Jackman ones.

That was a "meh" one too. Very loud (as typical of Doyle), and just wasn't my cup of tea.

I much prefer his score for La Ligne Droite from the same year.

I have yet to fully hear that one. Its just out of my price range.

I like that one too. I haven't heard much of Brian Tyler's Thor score.

Even louder! Full of generic power anthems, and blasting choirs, yada yada...

Yeah Tyler's followup was a huge decrease in quality.

Come on, this theme rocks.

Doesn't sound like much of a superhero theme does it? And I was never the biggest fan of the kind of bright major-key themes he wrote for films like Eragon. And maybe it's all the drums and ostinatos that kind of put me off.

The Imitation Game - Alexandre Desplat

It's a more introspective and intimate score, but it's quite engaging. Desplat conveys Turing's brilliance and the urgency of World War II with a reoccurring piano and flute motif that speeds up and slows down throughout. I love how the motif harmonically resolves itself in the glorious "Alan Turing's Legacy."

Silvestri is a dinosaur.  An artifact from the 1980's that should have stayed in the 1980's.  Zimmer is now.

How does one stay in the 1980s? Die on New Year's Eve, 1989?

I listened to The Patriot, War Horse, Jurassic Park 20th Anniversary and Charles Gerhardt Empire Strikes Back.

I'm currently listening to Revenge of the Sith. I get so fired up when Anakin turns to the dark side. Williams' villainous Sith music in the last 45 minutes is great.

a207918149e3239f774ea1_m.jpg

Predator 2: The Deluxe Edition (Silvestri)

:rock:

Thunderous score at Silvestri's best... I can't believe how much great material was left off of the 1990 release.

Sure much of it is recycled of Predator, but when music's this good and exciting, how can this be viewed as a negative?

Sound quality is crystal clear, even a bit too clear if I'm to be honest.

There are some explosions in the music, which sound a bit... overbearing. More a recording or mixing issue.

But I shouldn't complain because we don't get too many scores of this type anymore.

So I'm enjoying this one massively !!!

A shame about the misprint on the back cover, but nothing to lose sleep over.

Yup, it's a fantastic score that got a fantastic release. I still listen to it regularly!

Love "Subway Predator" :rock:

Awesome track, that one. And I think the additions to existing cues such as the 'cries' on Truly Dead and others are rather neat.

Didn't you hear some anomalies with the sound, like a minute or so in Subway Predator when there's a big outburst of sound. I don't know the exact term for it.

Awesome track, that one. And I think the additions to existing cues such as the 'cries' on Truly Dead and others are rather neat.

Didn't you hear some anomalies with the sound, like a minute or so in Subway Predator when there's a big outburst of sound. I don't know the exact term for it.

Like it sort of distorts about the 51 second mark or so? I noticed that...

524.jpg

Especially the Main Title, which has a little touch of Danny Elfman in to (what with the celeste and women's choir).

What am I saying "touch"? It's an Elfman and Williams pastiche up in that Main Title.

Jay said:

Chaac's back?

I said:

He's not the Chaac. I have the sword. I'm the Chaac now.

And also:

I was movie-quoting in the spirit of fun.

Hope that clears things up.

Oh, and one more thing:

RedBard is way too new to the debate to "keep up."

Don't break your wrist with that high-five to the veterans here.

Now to get back to this thread.

riseoftheguardians1.jpg

Personally, I am admiring Desplat's musical pallete and breadth of work. While there aren't really any memorable themes in this particular soundtrack, its emotion really draws from the orchestration and voice leading.

It's certainly more substance in terms of instrumentation compared to his work with Anderson, albeit more kitsche due to the nature of the material being written for.

Yikes.

Anyway I'm listening to Paul Smith's brilliant 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. I have the stirring, religioso passage that plays during the underwater burial scene on a loop. It's fantastic. I'm sure I've mentioned that one of my dream projects would be to score a well made, true-to-book adaptation of this - I would definitely have to quote the passage in question at the appropriate moment, though in a more ethereal way to suit the original book scene.

It's a very Rózsaesque score, especially the impressionistic passages. I saw that movie 12 times at least during my childhood and never wanted to see the rotten James Mason in LOLITA because he seems so deeply heroic in LEAGUES.

Yeah, I loved the score 20KLUTS, too. (Maybe I should stop abbreviating the movie from now on)

Found this interesting essay on the film score:

http://frizendoingfuture.blogspot.com/2012/05/mus-380-2012s-mid-term-paper.html

The author's basically arguing that the movie promotes anthropocentrism through the music, including synchronizing the music to the movements of aquatic life. Whether it's a bad thing or not depends on what you take from his propositions and arguments.

Yikes.

Anyway I'm listening to Paul Smith's brilliant 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. I have the stirring, religioso passage that plays during the underwater burial scene on a loop. It's fantastic. I'm sure I've mentioned that one of my dream projects would be to score a well made, true-to-book adaptation of this - I would definitely have to quote the passage in question at the appropriate moment, though in a more ethereal way to suit the original book scene.

I now exactly the passe you're reffering to! 6:13 on track 6. That's my favorite passage of the entire score. It perfectly captures the wonderful atmosphere of the book

The Two Faces Of January by Alberto Iglesias

Possibly the most underrated score of 2014, I don't think I've seen anyone talk about this one. Discovered it randomly while looking through SAE and the samples guaranteed a purchase. Classic Iglesias. Here's the main theme (doesn't kick in until 1:40) for those that want a quick fix:

And here's the full album:

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Jurassic Park, Gerhardt Empire Strikes Back and Revenge of the Sith.

Well, somebody's ears have been busy little bees lately.