Favorite Score of 2008

BLUMENKOHL

It's about that time of the year...for me it's pretty much sealed.

I was iffy at first. I listened and listened, and I can't imagine anything usurping it between now and the new year:

Speed Racer - Michael Giacchino

It's been a long time since a score has genuinely been so enjoyable to listen to on album. There's a plethora of well crafted and thought out theme and motifs, and you can just see that Giacchino had a blast scoring it. It also worked really well in the movie, and it has the most range out of the scores I've listened to this year.

Props must also be given to Giacchino for his work on season 4 of Lost this year, one of the finest scored TV series.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely forgot about Speed Racer, seems like it was ages ago! I'd probably put it up high on my list for this year, but I want to wait until December is actually over. There are a bunch of scores coming out I wanna hear. Frost/Nixon, Defiance, Benjamin Button, Revolutionary Road, Che, etc.

John Powell - Hancock

I've played it back-to-back more than any other disc this year. That's good enough for me.

Hancock was my favorite score until Benjamin Button came out (I got an advanced copy since I had to review it). It's amazing.

Well, it's gotta be Indiana Jones 4. What else?

A lot of, probably.

Star Gate - The Ark of Truth (Goldsmith), The Happening (Howard), Speed Racer (Giacchino), Quantum of Solace (Arnold), Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Desplat) /I need to listen to it more/, Hellboy 2 (Elfman), Spiderwick Chronicles (Horner), Wall-E (Newman)...

However...

... I still need to listen to: Bolt (Powell), Australia (Hirschfelder), Waltz with Bashir(Richter), Doubt (Shore), Milk (Elfman), Frost/Nixon (Zimmer), Defiance (Howard), The Boy in Striped Pajamas (Horner),...

KotCS, despite being a disappointment, is still in my 'best of 08' group. :thumbup:

Hancock, The Happening, Defiance and The Jungle Chase. With Wall-E closely following. Just a liiittle too mickey mousey at times to be one of the absolute best.

Revolutionary Road is being streamed here free. I've listened to a few tracks and it sounds solid Newman.

Once the official sum-up and rankings of the season have begun, I have elaborated another "Best of 2008" list, about the best contemporary creations of this year. It's been a very fruitful year for all modern music lovers, as almost every great composer has written at least one new work. I can't emphasize enough the genius of Williams, who has written for a film which is IMO the best work of this year.

1. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crystal Skull (John Williams)

2. Northern concerto (Joan Albert Amargós)

3. Conjurer for percussionist and string orchestra (John Corigliano)

4. Son of Chamber Symphony (John Adams)

5. Concerto for Orchestra (Christopher Rouse)

6. Piano Concerto (Tan Dun)

7. Rex Tremendae Majestatis, The Refugee and Muse (Christopher Theofanidis)

8. Rhapsody for Orchestra (Steven Stucky)

9. Appomattox (Philip Glass)

10. Ponyo on the Cliff (Joe Hisaishi)

I've made a medley out of my favorite works, in reverse order as follows

http://www.goear.com/listen.php?v=0a642b8

00:00 Ponyo on the Cliff

00:38 Appomattox

01:11 Rex Tremendae Majestatis

02:01 Muse

02:36 The Refugee

03:21 Piano Concerto

04:05 Concerto for Orchestra

04:51 Son of Chamber Symphony

05:57 Conjurer

07:07 Northern Concerto

08:41 Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

P.S. I forgot to include Stucky's work in the medley, it's such a good piece. Anyway, he also premiered an oratorio this year but I haven't been able to listen to it yet (some member in this forum has though), I've heard it's even better than the Rhapsody.

Well, it's gotta be Indiana Jones 4. What else?

A lot of, probably.

Star Gate - The Ark of Truth (Goldsmith), The Happening (Howard), Speed Racer (Giacchino), Quantum of Solace (Arnold), Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Desplat) /I need to listen to it more/, Hellboy 2 (Elfman), Spiderwick Chronicles (Horner), Wall-E (Newman)...

However...

... I still need to listen to: Bolt (Powell), Australia (Hirschfelder), Waltz with Bashir(Richter), Doubt (Shore), Milk (Elfman), Frost/Nixon (Zimmer), Defiance (Howard), The Boy in Striped Pajamas (Horner),...

KotCS, despite being a disappointment, is still in my 'best of 08' group. :thumbup:

I think a lot has to do with expectations. That's why it's a disappointment for you.

After listening to KotCS for 6 months now, I gotta say it's a very good, solid JW effort. Not phenomenal or outstanding by any means, but still a very good, memorable score.

Single piece- Roar. Whole score- probably Indy 4.

I'm about done with the DVDs and Murray Gold deseres a mention for his superb work on Series 4 of Doctor Who. It was a year where he really didn't really create anything new, but dove into the bag of tricks he's built up the last 3 years- tinkered, varied, altered- and came out with consistent quality.

I can't emphasize enough the genius of Williams, who has written for a film which is IMO the best work of this year.

Are you referring to the film or the score in this sentence?

I forgot a couple. Out of those I've heard:

1. Indy 4

2. The Dark Knight

3. The Happening

4. Wanted

5. Kung Fu Panda

I still haven't listened to QoS yet, but I own it.

I can't emphasize enough the genius of Williams, who has written for a film which is IMO the best work of this year.

Are you referring to the film or the score in this sentence?

The score. :lol: Yeah, I didn't write it correctly, it should be this way: "who has written for a film what is IMO the best work of this year".

Horton Hears a Who, and a bunch of other stuff...

Ah, I just noticed the name change. Chuck, much easier than gullwingdoors lol

Yeah, gullwingdoors was the screen name I chose for myself way back when I was new to internet forums and such (way before I joined this board), and I didn't realize back then that there was absolutely no reason not to just use your real name.

Recently, I've been trying to phase out all my various accounts that still use gullwingdoors, as it's getting too tiring to bother explaining what it means each time.

Horton Hears a Who, and a bunch of other stuff...

Ah, I just noticed the name change. Chuck, much easier than gullwingdoors lol

Yeah, gullwingdoors was the screen name I chose for myself way back when I was new to internet forums and such (way before I joined this board), and I didn't realize back then that there was absolutely no reason not to just use your real name.

Conformist! :lol:

Indy 4, vintage Williams at its finest, and Hellboy 2, Elfman's return to dark superheroes - were a great double for me this year. It felt like things had returned to normal. I'd like to see some other younger composers match them just so the future looks a little brighter.

Indy 4, vintage Williams at its finest, and Hellboy 2, Elfman's return to dark superheroes - were a great double for me this year. It felt like things had returned to normal. I'd like to see some other younger composers match them just so the future looks a little brighter.

Yeah, it's all about staying normal. Never go outside that comfort zone.

The score of the T.V. show Pushing Daisies, which is going to be released Dic. 21 by Varesse is probably my favorite. Indy 4 was just ok, the concert arrengements are good but I hardly listen to the CD anymore, specially since I got the Indy box set.

On the non-score front, Electric Arguments by The Fireman (Paul McCartney) was better than expected.

The score of the T.V. show Pushing Daisies, which is going to be released Dic. 21 by Varesse is probably my favorite. Indy 4 was just ok, the concert arrengements are good but I hardly listen to the CD anymore, specially since I got the Indy box set.

Alright, a Dooley fan! :thumbup: Good music, but the release keeps getting delayed, probably because the show got cancelled and they're working out some copyright issues.