1143 replies to this topic

#1 John Crichton

John Crichton

The Doctor in America

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16472 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:49 PM

This summer? Next summer? Who cares, the war for 2012, the last summer before the end of the Mayan Calendar, is on!

New Batman movie slated for July 20, 2012, 3 weeks after Star Trek sequel

The First Question. The Oldest Question in the Universe, hidden in plain sight...

#2 Romão

Romão

Benfiquista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9539 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:40 PM

It's nice to see Nolan is not rushing into it
The Keyboard is mightier than the sword

#3 Trent Hoyt

Trent Hoyt

JLH Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2903 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:26 AM

Although I am tired of waiting.

#4 guest

Supreme Something Something

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31070 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:22 AM

This summer? Next summer? Who cares, the war for 2012, the last summer before the end of the Mayan Calendar, is on!

This was announced in March but I never got around to posting it:

Those aren't the only big guns headed to theatres in 2012, they will have to deal with Gojira as well.

http://www.scifijapa...dzilla-returns/

#5 Eblobulator

Eblobulator

Trekkie For Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13280 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:44 AM

Nice to see Nolan is taking his time on the next Batman film. I have a feeling the Spider-Man reboot is gonna bomb especially with it coming out after the Star Trek sequel and before the Batman sequel.

Good god do we need another Americanized Godzilla movie? It's bad enough that the first one bombed...despite getting a kick ass score from David Arnold for it. Do we need TWO!?

GACSignature3.jpg

Kathryn Janeway: "Time travel. Since my first day on the job as a Starfleet Captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes - the future is the past, the past is the future, it all gives me a headache."

#6 Drax

Drax

ゴジラ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14733 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:51 AM

Tristar must have ditched the rights.

#7 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68691 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:04 PM

I do not see the point of a Godzilla movie without Emmerich!

TPMSig_zps20d62aed.jpg

#8 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28890 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:29 PM

I do not see the point of a Godzilla movie.

#9 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:44 PM

I'd love a Godzilla movie like the original, where everything is treated dead serious. I miss when movies had enough faith in themselves to take themselves seriously.
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#10 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 28890 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:49 PM

What, like Jacko's The Lord of the Rings?

Lee - looking forward to Emmerich's ID4 sequel a whole lot more than another Godzilla movie.

#11 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:54 PM

What, like Jacko's The Lord of the Rings?

Yep. There was lots of potentially silly stuff in those movies, but he did it without winking at the camera and providing humour through natural sources, just like another well-loved trilogy.
Repeat the JWFan pledge after me: 'I hereby recognise John Towner Williams' place in the world as the great composer there has ever been, and I therefore renounce the works of Rozsa, Korngold, Herrmann, Horner, Kamen, Giacchino (unless the prophecy is fulfilled and he becomes the heir to JTW) and Goldsmith, especially Goldsmith. I understand that if I ever refer to Jurassic Park as anything less than "a masterpiece sixty-five million years in the making" I will be resigned to living out my days at the Zimmershrine.'

#12 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 28890 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:05 PM

What, like Kieslowski's Three Colors trilogy?

#13 Red

Red

Youngster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10698 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:35 PM

The wait begins.
Do you like John Williams? His early work was a little too jazzy for my taste, but when Jaws came out in '75 I really think he came into his own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and an air of consummate professionalism that really gives the pieces a big boost. He's been compared to Jerry Goldsmith but I think John has a far more leitmotif-driven style of composing. In '82 John composed this, E.T., his most accomplished album to date. I think his undisputed masterpiece is "The Magic of Halloween", a theme so catchy most people don't listen to what it means. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of childhood and the importance of friendship, it's also a personal statement about the man himself. Hey Paul!
- Patrick Bateman on the Maestro

John Takis' Complete Hook Analysis

#14 crocodile

crocodile

A part-time Horner apologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15421 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:34 PM

I'm both excited and anxious.

Karol
"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#15 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:46 PM

The rights ran out years ago.

I'm somewhat optimistic about a new Godzilla, especially with Legendary pictures and WB now involved. Toho has Godzilla on hiatus, in Japan, for now.

The only reason D&E got to do their film was because of the success of ID4 and the promise they would bring (Godzilla) in under budget. Sony and Toho were probably desperate to get a picture done before the rights expired, who knows how much was spent on pre-production for Jan Debont's aborted version. D&E had no intention of doing Godzilla correctly, nor did they even seem familiar with the history.

#16 Drax

Drax

ゴジラ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14733 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:40 AM

The rights ran out years ago.

I'm somewhat optimistic about a new Godzilla, especially with Legendary pictures and WB now involved. Toho has Godzilla on hiatus, in Japan, for now.

The only reason D&E got to do their film was because of the success of ID4 and the promise they would bring (Godzilla) in under budget. Sony and Toho were probably desperate to get a picture done before the rights expired, who knows how much was spent on pre-production for Jan Debont's aborted version. D&E had no intention of doing Godzilla correctly, nor did they even seem familiar with the history.

I think Devlin seemed pretty cluey on the source material (he's a good PR guy), but Emmerich didn't really care.

Plus, I liked the animated series that followed.

#17 crocodile

crocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15421 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:55 PM

So it's official. Nolan is directing the third Batman movie!

Karol
"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#18 Red

Red

Youngster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10698 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:43 PM

We all pretty much already knew that, but it's still good to hear official confirmation from the man himself. I just hope WB doesn't force him to do in 3D.
Do you like John Williams? His early work was a little too jazzy for my taste, but when Jaws came out in '75 I really think he came into his own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and an air of consummate professionalism that really gives the pieces a big boost. He's been compared to Jerry Goldsmith but I think John has a far more leitmotif-driven style of composing. In '82 John composed this, E.T., his most accomplished album to date. I think his undisputed masterpiece is "The Magic of Halloween", a theme so catchy most people don't listen to what it means. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of childhood and the importance of friendship, it's also a personal statement about the man himself. Hey Paul!

#19 crocodile

crocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15421 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:49 PM

I doubt WB will force him to do anything at this point. But I can be wrong...

Karol

#20 Wycket

Wycket

Happy 50th Doctor Who

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1333 posts
  • Location:A parallel universe, where Williams and Zimmer fans get along in harmony.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:53 PM

Apparently they want to shoot it entirely in IMAX and have no interest in 3D. I'm sure whoever does Superman will be forced to do it in 3D, but I'm sure at this point Nolan has earned the right to make the choice for himself.

#21 Red

Red

Youngster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10698 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:54 PM

I doubt WB will force him to do anything at this point. But I can be wrong...

Karol

I've heard hearsay that they are, which would be a bad move on their part because he's made it it clear he doesn't want to. That would be cause for him to walk, which would hurt the studio far more than it would Nolan.

#22 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:06 PM

And the new Batman film is called...

The Dark Knight Rises

This has to be a joke.

#23 Taikomochi

Taikomochi

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2211 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:10 PM

At least Nolan confirmed it won't be in 3D and the Riddler won't be making an appearance. Thank god. I am so tired of that obviously false what's-his-face Doctor Who being the Riddler garbage.

Posted Image

#24 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:33 PM

I posted about this in the future films thread, but I think this deserves its own.

The third Bat-flick will be called THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, the film will not be 3-D, and the villain will not be The Riddler (although it may be Hans Zimmer).

Apparently they are also looking for an unknown female for a lead role, which has led some to speculate Catwoman, although I have a feeling it may be Talia Al Ghul.

#25 Jeshopk

Jeshopk

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2938 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:42 PM

And the backlash begins. It's not an awful title, but people will scapegoat this movie for how how much they overrated the other two.

#26 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 28890 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:46 PM

Should be a brilliant watch in the theatre. Once.

#27 Charlie Brigden

Charlie Brigden

Huge Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7322 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:48 PM

And the backlash begins. It's not an awful title, but people will scapegoat this movie for how how much they overrated the other two.

Probably, TDK has started to take it already. But not from me, though. Whilst I think the title sucks, this is strongly vying with The Hobbit as my future number one flick.

#28 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20172 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:49 PM

Everything that has 'rise' in it is awful, Jessie.

"Rise and rise again until lambs become lions!" - Robin Hood

"Rise a knight ... Rise a knight!" - Kingdom Of Heaven
"The film that really struck me was Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner.' That was a film I watched many, many times and found endlessly fascinating in its density. But I think the density of that film is primarily visual density and atmospheric and sound density, more so than narrative density. But, yeah, I think for a lot of filmmakers particularly, there will be a film like that in their past that they've really become a little obsessed with and seen too many times, or more times than seems healthy." - Christopher Nolan

#29 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:52 PM

TDK is/was brilliant and was far from overrated.

Batman Begins was mediocre and overrated.

#30 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 28890 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:03 PM

Everything that has 'rise' in it is awful, Jessie.

"Rise and rise again until lambs become lions!" - Robin Hood

"Rise a knight ... Rise a knight!" - Kingdom Of Heaven

It's a problem that's very simple to rectify: just add the letter A to the beginning of the word and success is guaranteed.

ARISE! ARISE, RIDERS OF THEODEN!

#31 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grander Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20172 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:04 PM

That was simple a case of mass hysteria. (Suddenly the whole world (even people that never heard of him) went like crazy: "Heath Ledger is the greatest actor in history. Why did he have to die?! Why??")
"The film that really struck me was Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner.' That was a film I watched many, many times and found endlessly fascinating in its density. But I think the density of that film is primarily visual density and atmospheric and sound density, more so than narrative density. But, yeah, I think for a lot of filmmakers particularly, there will be a film like that in their past that they've really become a little obsessed with and seen too many times, or more times than seems healthy." - Christopher Nolan

#32 Joey

Joey

Ho No she didn't.

• Members
  • 25216 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:05 PM

Batman Begins was mediocre and overrated.

we agree. I find most C. Nolan directoral efforts overthough and pretentious, with the sole exception of TDK, and much of that falls on the deceased star.
If it isn't high concept the it's not worth watching believed the pseudo superior one.

#33 Taikomochi

Taikomochi

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2211 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:06 PM

Arise chicken, arise!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#34 Quintus

Quintus

Grandiose Master

• Members
  • 28890 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:10 PM

I was drawn more towards Aaron Eckhart's decidedly understated, vulnerable performance than I was Ledger's OTT ACTING. Too showy, for me.

But let's not get into that again.

#35 fommes

fommes

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5883 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:25 PM

Since Batman is still only rising, I hope the composer doesn't award him with a theme yet. A one-and-a-half note motif at the beginning, developing into a two-and-a-half note motif at the end, would surely be appropriate.
Perhaps the next film can be called Very Nearly Batman.

#36 Taikomochi

Taikomochi

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2211 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

The ninth film in the series will be called Finally.

Posted Image

#37 Joey

Joey

Ho No she didn't.

• Members
  • 25216 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:54 PM

I was drawn more towards Aaron Eckhart's decidedly understated, vulnerable performance than I was Ledger's OTT ACTING. Too showy, for me.

But let's not get into that again.

Ledger's character was over the top, his acting was not. I too can appreciate Eckhart's performance, which was not understated. It was in someways the harder of the two roles because his character's need to be sympathetic and dangerous at the same time. The only performance in the film that is substandard is that of the main character who is upstaged by all the other male cast. Bale's bland "Batman" was the only real weak link in the film.
If it isn't high concept the it's not worth watching believed the pseudo superior one.

#38 guest

• Members
  • 31070 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:57 PM

Yeah, Bale is the weakest link, although the character of Rachel was somewhat pointless, although it may have been due to the two actresses that played her.

The main problem I have with TDK was the too quick resolution of Dent's storyline. Other than that the film was outstanding.

#39 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68691 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

Don't forget Gary Oldman's beautifully understated Gordon.

TPMSig_zps20d62aed.jpg

#40 John Crichton

John Crichton

The Doctor in America

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16472 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:08 PM

I just find it so difficult to take Bale seriously with that ridiculous OTT Batgrowl. I understand the plot reasons for Wayne doing it, but it doesn't make it any less silly.

That said, I did enjoy TDK in the theater very much, but it's still on my "maybe" DVD/Blu list. Batman Begins was overrated, decent for one theater viewing.
The First Question. The Oldest Question in the Universe, hidden in plain sight...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Movie Talk, 2012 Films, Christopher Nolan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)