Imagine this and don't complain about the length

Sixers

For a Episode III near the end of the film, Darth Vader is standing in front of a window in his Star Destroyer, sadly looking at the planet Tatooine where his childhood thrives. A sad version of the Imperial March is playing with high strings and a piccolo (sort of like his death music in RotJ). He then looks down, at his hands. The camera focuses on his right hand as it is trembling. Suddenly, after about 10 seconds, he balls it into a fist. The sad Imperial March ends with high, sleep inducing strings. The original Imperial March starts blaring and wakes you up from any kind of sleep you might have fallen into. He knows that he is now part of the dark side and has to live on. He then holds up his head and walks proudly down a hallway, with the camera focusing on Darth Vader with Imperial officers at their controls. He then signals for two stormtroopers to follow him as he walks into a room. The Imperial March ends climatically.

Would that or would that not be a better scene than that stupid "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!"?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

instead of screaming NOOOOOOOOO, wouldn't it make more sense if he got angrier and angrier and pretty much destroy the building he was in?

One of the great flaws in the prequels is the way Anakin's character is presented. Rather than a bratty hot-head, we should have seen the part of him that longs for control and authority, and order. The final "Noooo" in RoTS is dreadful, and undermines the original Vader's characteristics. The dramatic motivation for Anakin's transformation is quite poorly rendered.

Your musical souggestions would be nice.

But i like the end as it is.

I like the 'frankestein' look it has, since that is what darth vader is, as Kenobi says, not human anymore.

In Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back Vader is pure evil and a great villian.

In Jedi and the prequels he is a wimpy whiny soft character. Poor decision by Lucas to transform him into a sympathetic character

In Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back Vader is pure evil and a great villian.  

In Jedi and the prequels he is a wimpy whiny soft character. Poor decision by Lucas to transform him into a sympathetic character

Empire started it over, even if it the 'perfect' Star wars movie.

'Pleeeeeease Luke, join me, i want my little sonny to rule with me'

Bah!

wimpy whiny soft character

I dont know what wimpy is, but yes he is whinny. Luke had to get it from someone, and Padme is a mature precocious girl...

Soft? Ok in EPI, but he is a boy, not influenced by the dark side yet.

In EPII he is a pain in the ass to obi wan.

And Well in EPIII, he slains many people, with just some regret at times...

I hate the "Noooo". Anything would have been better, but I think him getting progressively angrier and things getting crushed/exploding as he stumbled around would have been great. Alas, it wasn't to be.

Also, they should have highlighted why he was upset; not that he had killed Padme, but that he felt cheated by her death, making it all about him once more and becoming lost even more. It's the only part I read of the novelisation, but it makes far more sense than... well, anything in RotS.

Empire started it over, even if it the 'perfect' Star wars movie.

'Pleeeeeease Luke, join me, i want my little sonny to rule with me'

Bah!

I don't know about anyone else but I agree completly with Luke. Vader is totally wimpy in Empire.

Justin

I hate the "Noooo". Anything would have been better, but I think him getting progressively angrier and things getting crushed/exploding as he stumbled around would have been great. Alas, it wasn't to be.

He does crush practically all of the medical equipment in that room in the film.

The sad thing is, no one at the Lucas plant has the guts to say, "No, George, that not such a good idea. Let's drop the 'Noooooooooo'! What else do you have?"

That part of the scene was indeed poorly executed. The novelization does a superb job of conveying Vader's emotions in that scene, and the movie just...doesn't, I'm afraid. But I'm over it.

The scene you've suggested, Sixers, is a cool idea. However, it's a little too much like the scene on the Star Destroyer already in the movie. Perhaps if the ideas you've presented were combined with the ones already in the scene that was shot...

The shot of the japor snippet on Padme's body cuts to the shot of the Star Destroyer; the Force theme plays as it does in the film. Cut to a close-up shot from the rear of Vader's helmet as he stands at the window. The second phrase of the Force theme continues, rather than the immediate shift back into the funeral music. He looks down at his hand, which trembles noticeably, as Anakin's theme from TPM plays in a minor key. (Oboe on melody, strings playing harmony.) The end transitions into the Ab-E-B-Ab section of the Imperial March, which blossoms into the funeral music/Imperial March counterpoint heard in the film. As this happens, he clenches his hand into a fist and looks up with resolve at the Death Star under construction. We see Palpatine standing some distance behind Vader, half in the shadow. He smiles, and the last shot of the scene dollies away from Vader standing there. (No artificial zoom! I hate those shots in the PT.) The last statement of the Imperial March plays as it does in the film, with the Ab-B-Ab of the Emperor's theme in subtle counterpoint.

I like the Tatooine idea, but I think it would only make sense to fans. The Death Star idea is recognizable to most people who've seen the OT.

"I like the Tatooine idea, but I think it would only make sense to fans. The Death Star idea is recognizable to most people who've seen the OT. "

People who've seen the OT are fans too, are they not?

And I was thinking about the ship going into hyperspace..........

The sad thing is, no one at the Lucas plant has the guts to say, "No, George, that not such a good idea. Let's drop the 'Noooooooooo'! What else do you have?"

Lucas did have someone who.......oh yeah he got rid of Gary Kurtz after Empire.

He does crush practically all of the medical equipment in that room in the film.

But that happens in all of five seconds, while the rest is dragged out over a minute.

Sorry, my wording was slightly ambiguous. I didn't mean to say that those who've seen the OT aren't fans. I meant that going with the Tatooine option would appeal mainly to fans and not casual watchers. Going with the Death Star option would appeal more to both, since the Death Star is more solidly linked to Darth Vader (in the view of the public) than Tatooine is. For people such as ourselves, the Tatooine option might be more powerful.

The hyperspace idea is cool, although it might disrupt the flow of the scene slightly. I'd have to see it to know whether I like it or not.

Pi, that's just wrong. :music:

Lucas did have someone who.......oh yeah he got rid of Gary Kurtz after Empire.

lol.jpg

Sorry, my wording was slightly ambiguous. I didn't mean to say that those who've seen the OT aren't fans. I meant that going with the Tatooine option would appeal mainly to fans and not casual watchers. Going with the Death Star option would appeal more to both, since the Death Star is more solidly linked to Darth Vader (in the view of the public) than Tatooine is. For people such as ourselves, the Tatooine option might be more powerful.

The hyperspace idea is cool, although it might disrupt the flow of the scene slightly. I'd have to see it to know whether I like it or not.

Pi, that's just wrong. ;)

It shouldn't be about appealing to anyone. It should fit the story.

i rather liked Vader yelling "No!" i never found it cheesy or whiny. for some reason it just seemed to fit perfectly with the emotional climax. part of the beauty of Vader's character is his humanity. i may very well be alone, but i thought that scene was effectively heart-wrenching.

i always wondered why with all the commuting in the PT, it didnt have a single shot of a ship going into hyperspace with the camera INSIDE the ship.

I think ILM wanted to but Lucas wanted to save that souly for the Original Trilogy.

Edit: I too don't mind the "Noooooo" that Vader gives off in ROTS. Infact I don't mind the whole Prequel Trilogy, I love the way how it turned out. That's just me though.

i always wondered why with all the commuting in the PT, it didnt have a single shot of a ship going into hyperspace with the camera INSIDE the ship.

I think ILM wanted to but Lucas wanted to save that souly for the Original Trilogy.

I expect the definite versions of the OT to have this on CGI...

Otherwiese why dont use it on the PT?

anythings better then NOOOOOOOO!!

Sadly, when I saw the film I'd already seen a clip of the notorious "Noooooooooooooooooooooo!" on TV so it wasn't nearly as surprisingly stupid as it was. It was just dumb. And funny. But not as funny.

I've got a better idea for the scene.

He yells, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" and then falls to one knee, crying. However, there are no holes around his eyes for the tears to come out so the audience hears water building up until a stream finally comes out of the mouth hole in the front of the mask. The camera pulls back and there is a wipe to the next scene.

I think it's hilarious how people are baffled by the "Noooo!" at the end. You know, if you a.) turned to the dark side to save your love's life, b.) turned on your best friend and then had your entire body decimated and replaced by a machine, and c.) then led to believe that you killed your love AND thus your unborn children......

I think we can allow the guy to scream.

But I do agree that Vader's presence was always in his "stillness." Brock Peters' interpretation of the character in the radio drama reveals this all too well.

It's not the fact he was upset. It's the fact that he said one great "Nooooo!", the cheesiest, most cliched way of expressing grief. A series of "noo!"s would have been acceptable, and a scream would have been fine (although a sign that he had gone to the dark side would have been better, instead of forever casting doubt over the character's loyalties, thus cheapening the redemption).

The notorious "NOOOOO!!!" is superfluous and happened to be the worst line in the movie despite being just one damn word. I don't know about any of you, but in a time of overwhelming grief or sadness, I have never seen anyone scream out "no". It just sounds like something that a real drama-queen would do.

I have never seen anyone scream out "no".

What about Luke Skywalker in ESB when he learns that the drama queen is his daddy?

I have never seen anyone scream out "no".

What about Luke Skywalker in ESB when he learns that the drama queen is his daddy?

Good point. Although, I think that the ROTS line seems less natural because through many movies of seeing Vader and knowing his character, that is not something he would likely utter. Luke's uttering of the long NOOOOO is more fitting for the scene since that it just about what the entire audience was thinking upon hearing the revelation.

Ted

I don't hate the "Noooo!" but it does bug me, which is too bad because there's so much about that scene I love, mostly the Frankenstein-like Vader walking on new legs for the first time, and Palpatine's smile.

I agree even though the "Noooooo!!!!" seems cheesy I've heard people complain about the awkwardness of Vader's steps but they forget he just received 2 new legs, 1 arm and is in a life support suit. I would imagine he ain't gonna be tap dancing off the table.

Apparently it takes 18 years to build and test drive the Death Star.  :wave:

I think the Imperial Construction Workers went on strike for 16 years,as described in one of these Expanded Universe books.

K.M.