Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

I'm trying to rip all the music I bought, before the storm arrives.

How to Steal a Million/ Bachelor Flat

Monsignor

In Harm's Way

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Tombstone

Robin Hood Marco Polo

O Brother, Where Art Thou

I think I want Natty Gann, though I don't listen to Honey I Shrunk the Kids that much. I think I'll give SWTWC a good listen before I rush into that one, but I know I want None But the Brave, so I'd need a third one from Moviemusic to get the free shipping and a nice big box from Roswell. I'm thinking about Dark Crystal 25 and maybe the Stromberg King Kong, but I'd have to email Peter Kelly about that b/c it's not at their site. Oh, and I think it's time to buy Alien and Aliens deluxe.

Good thing I don't love my money.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Received None But the Brave and The Golden Voyage of Sinbad today.

I also ordered Bernstein's adaptation of Cape Fear - is the original Herrmann version available too? Becuase I didn't see it on Amazon.

I'm gonna have to pass on The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing right now, unfortunately, but I see that 100 Rifles is on sale. I hear that's one of if not the absolute best Goldsmith Westerns. True? It's been around since '99 and it's on sale. Is this a vital Goldsmith score? I'm trying to be more strict with my priorities right now, but I'd hate to miss out. I haven't listened to all the samples, but it sounds pretty good, and One Little Indian grew on me a lot since I got it.

Checkmate/Rhythm in Motion and None But the Brave just arrived! These are my 3rd, 4th, and 5th scores by Johnny Williams. Love the cover art for Rhythm in Motion, and I'm liking the jazzy style of Checkmate.

Received None But the Brave and The Golden Voyage of Sinbad today.

I also ordered Bernstein's adaptation of Cape Fear - is the original Herrmann version available too? Becuase I didn't see it on Amazon.

Apparently Herrmann's original was released in the USA on a label called Soundstage in 1999, but I'm not familiar with the label nor the release. Nor has there been any mention of it on other message boards, which leads me to wonder if it's legit.

Checkmate/Rhythm in Motion and None But the Brave just arrived! These are my 3rd, 4th, and 5th scores by Johnny Williams. Love the cover art for Rhythm in Motion, and I'm liking the jazzy style of Checkmate.

How can you like that and not Cinderella Liberty?

Cinderella Liberty is much more...popish. There's lots of electric guitars and basses and such. Checkmate is more traditional, at least in terms of the instrumentation.

Mmm, not to get into any sort of a debate, but is there any sort of traditional instrumentation for jazz?

It is a genre that is defined very often by experimentation and doing "new" things. I mean, check out Miles Davis' Bitches Brew for a real trip.

For traditional jazz instrumentation I guess you could look back to the beginning of each facet of the genre, guitar and piano for blues, trombones trumpets and banjos for New Orleans, etc. But really, there is no "traditional" (beyond the technical aspects of the music) for jazz - at least not in my eyes.

I don't know much about Jazz, I was talking more about standard orchestral music. So I guess I'm saying I like Checkmate because the instrumentation is closer to that of classical music, and I like that type of Jazz more than the "funky" stuff.

Hm, the score did not sound as I expected it would. The music was not bad, but I think I too shall refrain from buying this CD.

I think it's a bit sad people seem to be rejecting the album based on the small amount of score. Some of the songs are amazing, especially the Billie Holliday, and the songs are as important as the score in a Michael Mann film. Hell, they basically are the score.

The score clips are great, there's a very reflective quality to them, in the vein of HEAT. Need to hear longer clips.

I don't know much about Jazz, I was talking more about standard orchestral music. So I guess I'm saying I like Checkmate because the instrumentation is closer to that of classical music, and I like that type of Jazz more than the "funky" stuff.

But the funky stuff is the best! Correct me if I'm wrong... So essentially you don't like it because it doesn't really sound like a film score?

But the funky stuff is the best! Correct me if I'm wrong... So essentially you don't like it because it doesn't really sound like a film score?

No. It is as "real" of a film score as any of the classics. I don't like not because it ventures into a new territory, but because the territory it ventures into doesn't do much for me (and I apologize for the double negative).

Hm, the score did not sound as I expected it would. The music was not bad, but I think I too shall refrain from buying this CD.

I think it's a bit sad people seem to be rejecting the album based on the small amount of score. Some of the songs are amazing, especially the Billie Holliday, and the songs are as important as the score in a Michael Mann film. Hell, they basically are the score.

The score clips are great, there's a very reflective quality to them, in the vein of HEAT. Need to hear longer clips.

Man, I really hate it when my English is not good enough to convey my points effectively! I guess I will just have to say that there are so many albums and so little money, and Public Enemies is pretty low on the priority list.

Man, I really hate it when my English is not good enough to convey my points effectively! I guess I will just have to say that there are so many albums and so little money, and Public Enemies is pretty low on the priority list.

I understand.

However I did get Caprica today.

And . . . . how do you like it?

I haven't seen the show yet, but am considering ordering the music just because of the strength of the BSG music.

It was pretty good! I hadn't seen the show either, but Caprica was getting such good word of FSM that I had to spring for it. It wasn't quite what I was expecting, but that in no way diminished my opinion of it. It's a great score. The only thing that could be said negatively about it is that it leans more on the dramatic/reflective side of things most of the time - but I think that is just due to the source material.

Land of the Lost (Giacchino)

The Prince and the Pauper (Korngold via Morgan/Stromberg)

In Harm's Way (Goldsmith)

Hawkins on Murder (Goldsmith)

Ace Eli and Rodger of the Skies (Goldsmith)

The Illustrated Man (Goldsmith)

Jericho/The Ghostbreaker (Goldsmith/Williams)

The package included *two* Prince and the Pauper SAE fridge magnets.

Another 7 CDs from SAE should be coming soon.

I'm in the same boat, Joe.

Glad I'm not the only one. I shot them an email today about it, so we'll see what's up.

Haven't heard anything yet, either, but isn't it normal for them to take a while?

From their reply to me...

We were in the process of moving last week, plus we're swamped with over 2000 Natty Gann orders so needless to say we're a little behind. Hope to have these caught up by the end of this week.

Understandable - and over 2,000 orders? Glad to see it's been selling well!

So it's down to less than 500 copies? Hot damn.

It's actually down to less than 200 now. Shoot. I may have to jump on this one.

EDIT: And I did. From Intrada:

The Journey of Natty Gann - James Horner

Holly vs. Hollywood - Doug Fake

Being interested in classical scores of epic period movies at present I found out about an interesting soundtrack by Bernard Herrmann and Alfred Newman (what a promising mix!), The Egyptian. I have seen the movie when I was a kid, but have hardly any memory of the score. There are quite a number of different CD versions available, and I decided to go for the re-recording by Stromberg and the Moscow Symphony after hearing samples (and after my positive experience with She lately). And - only $2.50 at Amazon marketplace :lol: Guess that can't have been a wrong decision.

I love the Amazon Marketplace. It's usually has the best deals on good CDs (better than eBay by far). And I love how the shipping is always 3 dollars. eBay can be annoying, because it seems like you're getting a fantastic deal until you realize shipping is 20 bucks.

I ordered The Omen Trilogy. This'll be my first Goldsmith boxset. I'm especially excited for The Final Conflict score.

I finally bought Superman! I went with Amazon's mp3 download of the Rhino release. Quite a solid score. I don't find "The March of the Villians" to be as offensively juvenile as many listeners seemingly do...I think it works just fine! :lol: Definitely a few parts that are reminiscent of that other masterpiece Williams wrote the year before, but I'm not stressing it. I especially like anything having to do with the love theme and/or the march, but the other themes are good, too, as well as the non-thematic underscore. My reaction to hearing this apart from the film for the first time was not as strong as it was for, say, Raiders, but I definitely enjoyed it. Good to get some more vintage Williams in my collection.

I finally bought Superman! I went with Amazon's mp3 download of the Rhino release. Quite a solid score. I don't find "The March of the Villians" to be as offensively juvenile as many listeners seemingly do...I think it works just fine! :lol: Definitely a few parts that are reminiscent of that other masterpiece Williams wrote the year before, but I'm not stressing it.

Makes sense. "March of the Villains" was based on an idea for the Jawa theme.

Datameister, Nick, and all others to whom this may apply: Please, if you enjoy the Superman score, then if it is at all possible, do yourself a favor and start setting aside money for the Blue Box. It is totally worth it. This is coming from a guy who didn't give a flying hoot about the SII score, and remembered a few things about III, and remembered next to nothing about IV. IV alone is a revelation. II and III have grown on me a lot, and there are definitely some highlights from those scores. It's worth it.

Perhaps I shall, Delorean90...I considered it, but it's just sooooo much money...kinda...

And Henry, I did hear the Jawa similarities in the punctuated string dissonances, but that wasn't what I was primarily thinking of when it comes to the Star Wars similarities. I don't have any track times or anything at the moment, as I've only listened to the album once, but there were several parts that made me go, "Yup, that's definitely the same guy who wrote Star Wars." Not unusual, certainly...there are similar moments in Raiders, CE3K...even E.T., although with that it's similarity to ROTJ, and E.T. actually came first. :lol:

Perhaps I shall, Delorean90...I considered it, but it's just sooooo much money...kinda...

If I can finally get a job, I'd probably put aside some money for it. But for Joe and some others, including myself, the Rhino release is the logical route. Although from what Clark posted it probably isn't so affordable physically. I got mine awhile ago.

Well, you can still get the Rhino release used at a very reasonable price on Amazon. I just figured I'd go with the mp3 route to save money and shipping time...I'd like to have the physical product and not have to deal with compression, but I don't look at liner notes too often anyway, and I honestly don't hear much difference between lossless files and 256 kbps mp3s, particularly when I don't have both to compare.

Horner's The Journey of Natty Gann is on its way, but if it doesn't arrive today I won't be able to listen to it until August.

Hrumph!

Why is that?

Being interested in classical scores of epic period movies at present I found out about an interesting soundtrack by Bernard Herrmann and Alfred Newman (what a promising mix!), The Egyptian. I have seen the movie when I was a kid, but have hardly any memory of the score. There are quite a number of different CD versions available, and I decided to go for the re-recording by Stromberg and the Moscow Symphony after hearing samples (and after my positive experience with She lately). And - only $2.50 at Amazon marketplace :) Guess that can't have been a wrong decision.

You seem to make a lot of good decisions in acquiring scores and getting good deals on amazon. And clearly, you make some very good decisions right here on this board as well. :lol:;)