Nixon

The Talented Mr Ripley

Blood Diamond

and still waiting on The Departed and Robin Hood

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still waiting for my Intrada package with 2001 and Spaceballs to arrive.

Did you order from Intrada? I ordered mine from Screen Archives, along with a load of other stuff. There's a big advantage to SAE while I live in England - they don't write the value on the package, so I don't get stung by import tax.

I have 2001, Around the World in 80 Days, The Bravados, The World of Henry Orient, Brannigan and Breakheart Pass on order from SAE.

Kunzel's Star Trecks II might be the best, I like his Bond cd and the Chiller one as well.

I like "Epics" as well.

One thing about all these CDs - whatever the performances are like, the sound is always top-notch.

Yeah I ordered from Intrada, they just started shipping the discs out.

Today I picked up Elfman's Serenada Schizophrana and JNH's Lady In The Water.

Now that this is back up, I can post my acquisitions from the last few weeks.

B000CPGVPG.03._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB0000059DZ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB000JCE9K6.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V37460820_.jpgB000026GME.03._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB000BEPLSQ.03._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB000JCDSJ4.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V35122550_.jpgB000JYW5LE.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V36217522_.jpgB000HWXRAG.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V38964908_.jpgB0001ZWKKC.03._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB00006S20B.03._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB000084T43.03._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB000001GY2.03._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.gifB000071WEB.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V60384160_.jpgB0002QXMIO.03._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB000EJ9L84.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V56788828_.jpg

Plus the second "Double Decca" set of Nielsen symphonies, for which I can't find an image right now.

Too much to comment on here, and I also haven't had the time to listen to all of these often enough to classify them yet. Just this: The Dresden Dolls are outstanding.

Over the Holidays, I've received these:

Pan's Labyrinth- Javier Narvarrete

Last of the Mohicans- Randy Edelman/Trevor Jones

The Queen- Alexandre Desplat

The Great Train Robbery- Jerry Goldsmith

The Mummy- Jerry Goldsmith

Medal of Honour: Underground- Michael Giacchino

X-Men: The Last Stand- John Powell

Eragon- Alan Me... I mean Patrick Doyle

Hoosiers- Jerry Goldsmith

Lemony Snickets A Series of Unfortunate Events- Thomas Newmam

The Horse Whisperer- Thomas Newman

Waterworld- James Newton Howard

Angeles Ashes- John Williams

Shawshank Redemption- Thomas Newman

Twighlight Zone: The Movie-Jerry Goldsmith

Treasure Planet- James Newton Howard

Blood Diamond- James Newton Howard

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas- Harry Gregson Williams

Total Recall- Jerry Goldsmith

Poltergeist II- Jerry Goldsmith

The Witches of Eastwick- John Williams

Night at the Museum-Alan Silvestri

Now that this is back up, I can post my acquisitions from the last few weeks.

B000CPGVPG.03._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB0000059DZ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB000JCE9K6.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V37460820_.jpgB000026GME.03._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB000BEPLSQ.03._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB000JCDSJ4.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V35122550_.jpgB000JYW5LE.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V36217522_.jpgB000HWXRAG.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V38964908_.jpgB0001ZWKKC.03._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB00006S20B.03._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB000084T43.03._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB000001GY2.03._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.gifB000071WEB.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V60384160_.jpgB0002QXMIO.03._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB000EJ9L84.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V56788828_.jpg

Plus the second "Double Decca" set of Nielsen symphonies, for which I can't find an image right now.

Too much to comment on here, and I also haven't had the time to listen to all of these often enough to classify them yet. Just this: The Dresden Dolls are outstanding.

In the immortal words of George Takei... Oh, my!

Well, this includes Christmas presents. And the few months before that, I only got very few new CDs (and looking at this batch, the next few months will be similar :fouetaa: ).

Marian, you only just bought Geisha?! :)

I had a CDR before; it's a nice score, but nothing I'm terribly excited about. Still nice to have a legit copy though.

Finally got a CD copy of Kamen's wonderful Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Another cassette tapes bites the dust, not that I've had anything to play it in for years anyway.

John- who can spend an embarrasing amount of time just watching Marian's avatar

btw what does JWFan think of Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops? The telarc discs are quite expensive here.

but there are a few stinkers out there.

which are?

btw, are the Telarc CDs more expensive in Europe or US? Over here they cost about 30% more than a regular CD!

There are a few Star Trek cues that Kunzel did I that I enjoy... over all most re-recordings I don't really like.

Really? What about Gerhardt's recordings, Intrada's excalibur series, Varese's Film Classics series, the Morgan/Stromberg recordings?

And the few months before that, I only got very few new CDs (and looking at this batch, the next few months will be similar :D ).

Looks like that was a lie. The first of these arrived today (ordered it a while ago); picked the second one up from my birthday money (which was meant for this DVD, but it wasn't available in time), and the third one (Mendelssohn piano concertos, can't find a cover image) because it was cheap:

200px-DresdenDollsLiveInParadise.jpg044007340721-cvr.jpgROSIE.jpg

I haven't heard it in full yet. Sounds nice, but the only clear theme that really jumps out (because it seems to be in every other track) is a direct rip-off of Goldsmiths Hollow Man theme.

Yes, and the other sounds almost like some cue from Vertigo. These things seem to plague all Marianelli's score. In V for vendetta you can clearly hear the first part of Williams' theme from Close Encounters. Also secondary military motif from this very score makes its appearance in the last cue on the OST.

But it's still nice.

Karol

I have these on order.

Sodom and Gomorrah 2 disc set - Miklos Rozsa

World of Henry Orient - Bernstein

Lust For Life - Rozsa

Wind - Poledouris

B0006SKLR8.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I got it for little money on an auction. I am extremely happy, because this music is worth much more (and in fact in retail stores it really costs 3 times more). Beautiful music. I am eager to see the movie now.

Because I liked the original album and wanted to hear more of the score. I didn't find out there was an expanded release until after I'd bought the album.

- Marc, who thinks the expanded release drags on a bit, but has some good new music on it.

Actually that picture is focusing on the wrong body part. It needs to pan down some.

Dances With Wolves is a lovely score and a well deserved Oscar for Barry.

Dances With Wolves is a lovely score and a well deserved Oscar for Barry.

I love the score, but Barry-fan that I am I'd have given that year's award to Total Recall.

Have good scores for bad films ever won an Oscar?

I'm not suggesting that Total Recall is a bad film (I really like it), but the Academy probably thought it was.

Wasn't Goldsmith supposedly upset with the lack of recgonition for Total Recall?

Personally I think it's a brilliant score and one of the best action scores ever written.