john williams is awesome and so is hans zimmer!

sweethaley85

You guys laugh but if you all classify music by adjectives (borring, repetitive, crappy, etc.. ) then can your feeble brains not abstract sexual references in music? Like the saying goes, "Brutes abstract not." Sexual reference is an acccepted part of academia musical descriptions. I am sure you can all recognize the alto sax, we call it "alto sex" solo for sexy moments, surely that is not the only sexual reference in music.

Anyway some of you need to get it through your heads that JW is not the first call for all action/adventure movies anymore!

I don't care if you don't like Zimmer, just support your opinions with supportive statements.

Well, I don't contest your use of "masculine/feminine," I simply think that Zimmer's music is like a high school bully in terms of its masculinity. Big and strong, but pretty stupid. The Sea Hawk is much better "masculine" music.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys laugh but if you all classify music by adjectives (borring, repetitive, crappy, etc.. ) then can your feeble brains not abstract sexual references in music? Like the saying goes, "Brutes abstract not." Sexual reference is an acccepted part of academia musical descriptions. I am sure you can all recognize the alto sax, we call it "alto sex" solo for sexy moments, surely that is not the only sexual reference in music.

Yeah and we Maestrobate pretty often, so what?

:)

Its true that cues written for female characters sound feminine, and the same for male characters... but why is Zimmer's music being masculine so good as to put three exclamation marks on it?

and well Zimmer also makes drama movies...

Let the barage begin.  

Welcome to the Board sweethaley85.

Ted

thanks! oh boy i didnt mean to start a never-ending argument.. why can't we jus all get along!!! music lovers of the world unite! i'm haley by the way, its nice to meet ya!

Let the barage begin.  

Welcome to the Board sweethaley85.

Ted

thanks! oh boy i didnt mean to start a never-ending argument.. why can't we jus all get along!!! music lovers of the world unite! i'm haley by the way, its nice to meet ya!

These days with no new JW scores its like the only thing to talk about, its pretty much the rest of the board against me and a few other chaps.

I guess we, the few, are just priviledged to enjoy more than one composer's music.

I'm not sure about those newfangled  MV/Zimmer loving JWfans.

K.M.  ;)

Because we all know MV destroys music by producing people like:

Hans Zimmer

John Powell

Harry Gregson-Williams

Klaus Badelt

Who have produced garbage such as:

Antz

Chicken Run

Sinbad

The Time Machine

X3

Kingdom of Heaven

The Da Vinci Code

The Prince of Egypt

Gladiator

Spanglish

Hannibal

Beyond Rangoon

Crimson Tide

Backdraft

The Chronicles of Narnia

Lauras Stern

Curse those bastards!

John Powell is a very creative writer, when not hired to duplicate zimmer music. He makes the best grooves in the business.

Blumekhol, don't forget The Lion King, Muppet Treasure Island, The Ring, Paycheck, and The Promise! Awful awful garbage indeed! ;)

I totally understand the part about a good deal of their music being interchangeable, and agree, but they are not all crap, and talentless hacks, and not everything they do is the same. Just listen to the ones I posted. You'd have a hard time fitting Antz in to the Da Vinci Code or vice versa.

Even the punching bag of MV, Klaus Badelt has shown his ability to write outside of the confines of the MV sound, and quite well at that.

It is unfortunate that Klaus Badelt has been labelled as a hack who can only compose the stereotypical MV sound. With Jerry Bruckheimer producing, the score for Pirates of the Caribbean would have come out the same no matter who scored it - he wanted a distinct, MV sound. Badelt just happened to be the guy they hired to spearhead the thing.

He has done some great work, particularly on The Time Machine, Ned Kelly, K-19, Equilibrium, and Ultraviolet (the latter two need score releases!)

Did you hear Posiedon?

No but I heard The Time Machine, which was his first solo effort.

He has done some great work, particularly on The Time Machine, Ned Kelly, K-19, Equilibrium, and

Ned Kelly is also a pretty straightforward orchestral score with little synth and complex and depthful orchestration many would not expect out of Badelt, Equilibrium is definitely a synthy score, but not with a whole lot of regular MV style. K-19 is pretty unique, though it's repetitive. .

Did you hear Posiedon?

yes I did, what a terrible score.

the film poseidon wasn't terrible, it was just uninspired, while the score was a real weak link.

Chicken Run is a fun score although toward the end one of the cues is too MV styled and it makes me cringe.

Yes, Media Ventures has produced great composers like Powell and HGW, who have produced very good scores like Sinbad, Chicken Run, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Shrek, X3, and Narnia. So once a composer is out of MV, if they can think for themselves a bit, they can turn out great.

It's just while Zimmer is holding them captive. . . .

And "Building the Crate" kicks ass any day of the week!

~Sturgis

But if it weren't for Zimmer and MediaVentures giving these composers an entry into the film music, they might have never made it! While everyone might not agree with it, MV is (was?) like a training ground for composers to come work with Zimmer and then make it big in the movie biz

It's basically the new-day equivalent of being a JNH or Danny Elfman. You start out in the rock-band, and that's what MV really is, build a portfolio and then break off and hopefully become successful.

It's also barely like what radio was to people like Bernard Hermann and what NBC and CBS were to John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith.

There are 3 categories of composers:

1)JW

2)Zimmer and MV hacks

3)All the others who kinda sound like JW but not as good

K.M.

Hmm, you're right KM, I never noticed but Elliot Goldenthal, Brian Tyler, Christopher Young, Edward Shearmur, Howard Shore, James Horner, James Newton Howard, Marco Beltrami, Michael Kamen, Jerry Goldsmith, and Trevor Jones really do sound kinda like Williams only not as good! :)

Bulding the Crate? I like that one, if not for its use of the Rat theme.

No that's one of the best cues in the score.

It's one of the cues while they are taking off.

Bulding the Crate? I like that one, if not for its use of the Rat theme.

No that's one of the best cues in the score.

It's one of the cues while they are taking off.

Glad to see everyone loves 'Building the Crate'. :P

I'm not sure about those newfangled  MV/Zimmer loving JWfans.

K.M.  :|

The last MV styled score I enjoyed was Gladiator. I thought I would like The Last Samurai, which didnt sound too bad on film, and had garnered quite favorable online reviews. Unfortunately I found it a big bore on CD :P Da Vinci Code, which sounded ok in previews, made me toss the CDR I made from the downloaded mp3s out of the window. Conclusion? They have their moments, but you are better off listening to the Lion King.

• 2 years later...

I thought this was interesting reading through this thread:

There are 3 categories of composers:

1)JW

2)Zimmer and MV hacks

3)All the others who kinda sound like JW but not as good

K.M.

Have you changed your mind since then, KM?

I love Hans Zimmer, what I don't like his what he's done to the world of film scores. Every other score out nowadays seems to be a bad attempt to copy Zimmer's style. Some of them have done good things (John Powell), but there's just too many.

I love Hans Zimmer, what I don't like his what he's done to the world of film scores. Every other score out nowadays seems to be a bad attempt to copy Zimmer's style. Some of them have done good things (John Powell), but there's just too many.

It's not Zimmer's fault he has bad composers trying to copy his style. Those are the worst of the worst, people like Brian Tyler and Tyler Bates, and other random no name composers that have no talent. John Powell has never copied Zimmer, he has shown his own consistent style even while under MV, which he hasn't been a part of for quite some time. Zimmer basically revolutionized scoring. But like I saw earlier in this thread, you guys just don't like the fact that more than one person works on a score and that he uses synthesizers. I've yet to hear a reasonable argument as to why his music is bad, specifically in the actual writing, not on how it was made or by whom. I wouldn't care if 20 composers made 1 score as long as the final product does what it's supposed to do and sounds great.

It's not Zimmer's fault he has bad composers trying to copy his style. Those are the worst of the worst, people like Brian Tyler and Tyler Bates, and other random no name composers that have no talent. John Powell has never copied Zimmer, he has shown his own consistent style even while under MV, which he hasn't been a part of for quite some time. Zimmer basically revolutionized scoring. But like I saw earlier in this thread, you guys just don't like the fact that more than one person works on a score and that he uses synthesizers. I've yet to hear a reasonable argument as to why his music is bad, specifically in the actual writing, not on how it was made or by whom. I wouldn't care if 20 composers made 1 score as long as the final product does what it's supposed to do and sounds great.

Neither Brian Tyler nor Tyler Bates "copy" Zimmer's style or sound. I'm not sure what scores you are listening to but I have heard little to no evidence of this charge except for Constantine and that is because Zimmer flunky Klaus Badelt came in to replace some of Tyler's score....

I will agree with you on Powell though. A wonderful composer and frankly the only good thing to come out of MV/RC in my humble opinion. Love Hanock!

Neither Brian Tyler nor Tyler Bates "copy" Zimmer's style or sound. I'm not sure what scores you are listening to but I have heard little to no evidence of this charge except for Constantine and that is because Zimmer flunky Klaus Badelt came in to replace some of Tyler's score....

Maybe he was saying that those who are copying Zimmer are as bad as those two. Probably not, but they do sound like a$$

I don't care about who makes them, and synths only annoying me sometimes (like in the first PotC score).

So nice to see the person who started this thread stuck around, as usual... :)

Whatever happened to Damo?

Maybe real life has prevented him from being able to come here? Maybe he was banned?

Anyways Brian Tyler doesn't sound like crap...not sure what you guys are listening to and he sounds nothing like Zimmer.

i grew up listenin n playin john williams music but lately ive really gotten into hans zimmer.. i jus got the new soundtrack to pirates of the caribbean #2 while workin at umg and its pretty good. POTC #2 soundtrack has a cool mix of techno-type beats, orchestral melodies and vocal underchords. if you havent checked it out, visit www.disneyrecords.com/pirates2 and let me know what you think!

Sorry, dear, John Williams make the most exciting music that I have ever heard, and Zimmer is wallpaper. End of.

i grew up listenin n playin john williams music but lately ive really gotten into hans zimmer.. i jus got the new soundtrack to pirates of the caribbean #2 while workin at umg and its pretty good. POTC #2 soundtrack has a cool mix of techno-type beats, orchestral melodies and vocal underchords. if you havent checked it out, visit www.disneyrecords.com/pirates2 and let me know what you think!

ok but the real question is whether moviemusic-makers like williams and zimmer are as good as real composers like Tom Petty.

into the great wide open....

;)