October: Music of Star Wars - 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition

DigitalfreakNYC

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember that the main reason the TPM UE was released was because a lot of bootlegs from that score were floating around and there was rather a big buzz about how to rip the unreleased cues from the computer games and create your own expanded score.

Hardly any music from AOTC leaked. Music from ROTS did leak, but it has not caused nearly the hype that it did with TPM.

There really has not been a reason to bring out UE's for the 2 remaining Prequel scores so soon as one was done for TPM.

The last portion of the 2ºCD is another story.

thats the point, for the most part...

Even that... We have the wonderful counterpoint of Duel of the Fates and the Force theme... (with Vader's theme at the end ;) That track is amazing!

Remember that the main reason the TPM UE was released was because a lot of bootlegs from that score were floating around and there was rather a big buzz about how to rip the unreleased cues from the computer games and create your own expanded score.

Hardly any music from AOTC leaked. Music from ROTS did leak, but it has not caused nearly the hype that it did with TPM.

There really has not been a reason to bring out UE's for the 2 remaining Prequel scores so soon as one was done for TPM.

Good point there Steef, I forgot about that.

People to this day still assemble their own complete editions for the score and they generally can turn out to be better than Sony's version.

Were a few members from this forum really enough to influence Lucasfilm's marketing? Or was it a more widespread "outrage"? I wasn't here at the time.

Ray Barnsbury

Good point there Steef, I forgot about that.

People to this day still assemble their own complete editions for the score and they generally can turn out to be better than Sony's version.

AMEN to that!

Maybe theres some live performances on one of the discs or sommat :S, like weve been saying it could be anything! :S

Were a few members from this forum really enough to influence Lucasfilm's marketing? Or was it a more widespread "outrage"? I wasn't here at the time.

Ray Barnsbury

Well,ultimately I was against the petition sent to Sony Classical (after I actually signed it)

It all depends,if the UE was born out of corporate greed merely as bootleg countering device then I don't think it had any effect.

If on the other hand a team of dedicated people heard the plight of fans for a complete score and really worked hard on the UE thinking it's what we wanted,then they might have been pissed enough at us not to release AotC and RotS.It's only a few people in a company that makes these things happen,if you rub them the wrong way there might be consequences.

I think AotC and RotS expanded will happen when a true SW music fan lands a key executive job at Sony

K.M.

I continue to hope that the specs will be revised for this and that we find out it is a 12-disc collection. I can see them sensibly creating a 2 disc set for each release, and embellishing the existing releases a bit more. I also wouldn't be a bit surprised if they created some "Target Exclusive" 13th disc for the set that has additional rarities like "Lapti Nek" (which GL has condemned to the dustbin of revisionist history) or a collection of the Concert Suites from all six films on one disc as a "Greatest Hits" disc.

We know what WE would want as fans, but realistically what can we expect? Good Musician has taught me (and perhaps others) in recent weeks that a revised Empire Strikes Back is in order. ROTJ could use a touch up, but it isn't the apparent failure that ESB was where Reisner was involved. TPM would likely see the UE embellished with its two concert themes added to the collection.

The real gem that almost everybody wants loud and clear is a UE for AOTC and ROTS. That is the biggest selling point a set like this could have. But an 8 disc configuration does not make much sense if the prequels are at all in the mix. Either they'll be selling less of what's already available, or something else is going on. Perhaps, in the end, this is a 30th anniversary set commemorating the OT. 2 discs for SW, 3 for ESB and 3 for ROTJ would add up to 8 discs (I think this was mentioned earlier). An 8-disc set of the music from just the Classic Trilogy would be the dog's bollocks -- twice what we were given in the Anthology set. And THAT would get me to open up my wallet one more time.

The real gem that almost everybody wants loud and clear is a UE for AOTC and ROTS. That is the biggest selling point a set like this could have.

I kind of have to disagree with this a bit. What most people want these days for all three prequels especially AOTC and ROTS is the complete intended edition, not a chopped up Phantom Menace duplicate ... or duplicates in this case.

I hate to say but Steef might be correct that this set could be the Original Trilogy and Phantom Menace "Ultimate Edition" repacked in a box set. As I said earlier I'll be ponying up for this set to see what it's about.

I hate to say but Steef might be correct that this set could be the Original Trilogy and Phantom Menace "Ultimate Edition" repacked in a box set. As I said earlier I'll be ponying up for this set to see what it's about.

That does not make much sense either.AotC and RotS have to be represented somehow.

I say there's a mistake in the listing...8 disks does not add up

The real gem that almost everybody wants loud and clear is a UE for AOTC and ROTS. That is the biggest selling point a set like this could have.

I kind of have to disagree with this a bit. What most people want these days for all three prequels especially AOTC and ROTS is the complete intended edition, not a chopped up Phantom Menace duplicate ... or duplicates in this case.

The way 8 might add up is if they do it the same way they did the 4-disc Anthology for the first trilogy; that way we could have 4 discs each per trilogy.

Now, Amazon lists the releasing label as Cbs/Epic/Wtg Records, NOT Sony Classical, so we could be talking about a rerecording, couldn't we?

Perhaps Sony lost the rights for the music.

I know this doesn't relate to music but it relates to Star Wars. Master Replicas lost its license to replicate any Star Wars stuff and their dead line for making Star Wars related items is up at the end of the year and they have to stop selling the stuff after March 2008.

Master Replicas/Corgi couldn't pay up the royalty fees Lucasfilm wanted this year so that's why they lost the license.

Then again that's props (not music) and maybe that's the case with Sony. Perhaps Sony wouldn't pay Lucasfilm the royalty's to Lucasfilm to release this set and hence the label change.

We can speculate until we're blue in the face..but I'm just going to wait until November and then buy the set once it comes out.

What most people want these days for all three prequels especially AOTC and ROTS is the complete intended edition, not a chopped up Phantom Menace duplicate ... or duplicates in this case.

I disagree. I think most people are not true soundtrack nerds that want all the music that doesn't even appear in the film. For example, with the TPM:UE, I'd really love to know how many people in the general population, ie not at a message board for film soundtracks, even know how different the music is on that release from the intended score. If I didn't visit this website I never would have known the release we got wasn't the "proper" film score.

I love the UE, btw. Except for one spot, I don't notice any of these "terrible edits" you speak of. And yes, I have listened to the version compiled by members here.

then why is it still listed on Sonys website as a future release then...

Dangerous and disturbing this puzzle is... meditate on it I will :-p

The new label listed on Amazon is also a rock label, is it not?

It won't be a repackaging of TPM and the CT. AOTC and ROTS have to be represented.

It also doesn't make sense that this would JUST be the OT. It is not the 30th Anniversary of the OT. It is the 30th Anniversary of the first film. So including the PT in the anniversary makes just as much sense as ESB and ROTJ.

Somehow these discs have to add up to representation of all six films.

I disagree. I think most people are not true soundtrack nerds that want all the music that doesn't even appear in the film. For example, with the TPM:UE, I'd really love to know how many people in the general population, ie not at a message board for film soundtracks, even know how different the music is on that release from the intended score. If I didn't visit this website I never would have known the release we got wasn't the "proper" film score.

This is like someone proclaiming Full Screen DVD's are better than Widescreen in a Home Theater Forum .Your the only one here who has this point of view and obviously you don't listen to film scores very much.

K.M.

Sorry to leer off topic, but found this on Filmtracks with regards to the UE's edits:

Williams himself was not particularly happy with the final film edit of many of his cues, claiming that a certain amount of injustice was done to them in the last days of frantic editing of the film by George Lucas.

This is obviously at loggerheads with Williams' diplomatic style, so can someone direct me to an interview where he says this please?

Let's quit throwing around this hopeful 12 number, because 12 won't cut it. Provided no two scores share a disc, no less than at least 14 discs will be satisfactory (as we know TPM and ROTJ have more music than will fit on 2 discs).

This is like someone proclaiming Full Screen DVD's are better than Widescreen in a Home Theater Forum .Your the only one here who has this point of view and obvioulsy you don't listen to other John Williams soundtracks much.

K.M.

KM you have a very good point.

Demodex we know you're point of view on the Crap Edition for The Phantom Menace you've proclaimed it over and over again when this subject is brought up. Most everyone here on this forum (and other people who I've talked to outside this forum) would rather have the real true intended versions of the Prequel scores (myself included) instead of hacked jobs.

Sorry to leer off topic, but found this on Filmtracks with regards to the UE's edits:
Williams himself was not particularly happy with the final film edit of many of his cues, claiming that a certain amount of injustice was done to them in the last days of frantic editing of the film by George Lucas.

This is obviously at loggerheads with Williams' diplomatic style, so can someone direct me to an interview where he says this please?

This is a variation on something that's been floating around for a while. I think there's a letter or a quote from Williams where he says he was "artistically insulted" or something to that effect by the Battle of Naboo edits.

Let's quit throwing around this hopeful 12 number, because 12 won't cut it. Provided no two scores share a disc, no less than at least 14 discs will be satisfactory (as we know TPM and ROTJ have more music than will fit on 2 discs).

It's possible they won't release the ENTIRE score, but more of it that was on the original soundtracks. Or perhaps they will ONLY release the unreleased material?

This is like someone proclaiming Full Screen DVD's are better than Widescreen in a Home Theater Forum .Your the only one here who has this point of view and obvioulsy you don't listen to other John Williams soundtracks much.

K.M.

Demodex we know you're point of view on the Crap Edition for The Phantom Menace you've proclaimed it over and over again when this subject is brought up. Most everyone here on this forum (and other people who I've talked to outside this forum) would rather have the real true intended versions of the Prequel scores (myself included) instead of hacked jobs.

Right. Most people here. But out in the real world there are probably lots of people just as happy with the UE.

This is a variation on something that's been floating around for a while. I think there's a letter or a quote from Williams where he says he was "artistically insulted" or something to that effect by the Battle of Naboo edits.

That was in the Starfix magazine article,which I still have a copy of

I wouldn't be surprised if he was insulted about the edits for the final cut of his music to fit the film. Hell I would be too! Lucas did change the film a lot right before the film's release...you can see Ben Burtt "suggesting" how to edit the film with Lucas on the 2nd TPM DVD.

K.M.

Right. Most people here. But out in the real world there are probably lots of people just as happy with the UE.

Yeah but in a John Williams forum the TPM UE are an insult.It's not our problem if your not musically inclined enough to notice the difference

That was in the Starfix magazine article,which I still have a copy of

OK, I couldn't remember what the source of that was. Any chance you could get the quote?

K.M.

Yeah but in a John Williams forum the TPM UE are an insult.It's not our problem if your not musically inclined enough to notice the difference

What about you like the UE and we don't, so we'll just have to except the fact that we have different opinions?

Indeed KM.

Demodex you might as well just quit while you're ahead... again we all know your love for the so called "Ultimate Edition" for the Phantom Menace score..

K.M.

What about you like the UE and we don't, so we'll just have to except the fact that we have different opinions?

Well it's an opinion that deserves to be slammed

I wouldn't be surprised if he was insulted about the edits for the final cut of his music to fit the film. Hell I would be too! Lucas did change the film a lot right before the film's release...you can see Ben Burtt "suggesting" how to edit the film with Lucas on the 2nd TPM DVD.

Well, not that you're going to see me defend Burtt, but a lot of those changes were reportedly suggested by Spielberg after he saw the rough cut. And they were probably good ideas, it's just that they didn't bother to hold another scoring session to get that part fixed too.

K.M.

Fair enough.

K.M.

Fair enough.

Correct KM is.

......OK, so I just wanted to see how many quote boxes we can get in here. Sue me. :P

And you're right, KM, there were at least three different versions of that sequence, and I think Williams was able to do some corrections to the second but not the final.

Ya the suggestions we see Burtt giving to Lucas on the 2nd TPM DVD were of the final cut of the film. Lucas let Burtt decide on way to many things regarding the edits for the film and music. Not only for TPM but AOTC and ROTS too.

OK, now that things have calmed down, question probably got lost in the quote box mayhem: any chance you could get us that Starfix quote KM? I'm really curious to see it again now. :P

K.M.

Fair enough.

Correct KM is.

......OK, so I just wanted to see how many quote boxes we can get in here. Sue me. :P

And you're right, KM, there were at least three different versions of that sequence, and I think Williams was able to do some corrections to the second but not the final.

Consider yourself sued. :P

OK, now that things have calmed down, question probably got lost in the quote box mayhem: any chance you could get us that Starfix quote KM? I'm really curious to see it again now. :)

Yeah,I might

I looked up Cbs/epic/wtg Records. Guess what? It's Sony in disguise.

Epic and CBS labels have always been part of the Sony catalogue. It also must be noted that Sony Classical is now called SonyBMG Masterworks.

However, I suspect an official announcement of sort about this will be made soon. If someone is really curious could write to Sony asking info on this release.

How about this for an 8-disc version:

2-CD Phantom Menace Special Edition

2-CD Attack of the Clones Special Edition

2-CD Revenge of the Sith Special Edition

2-CDs of unreleased OT tracks and additional PT tracks

That would, I think, be the ultimate 8-disc version possible. Then with this 8-disc version and the OT Special Editions, we'd have everything available. :)