Intrada's next release

TownerFan

From Intrada's Forum:

will say that this particular composer, since 1977, has had every film score of his released on CD...save one. That would be this one. Sure, it was on LP, but for whatever reason it never made the leap to CD. Interesting thing about this LP...it was just perfect. Yes, an astute listener might notice about three extra minutes of music in the film, but it's mainly a repeat of what was already on the album, so it would really be padding if added. However, the LP has 10 spectacular minutes not in film! So if someone complains about it not being expanded (and they will), they're not fully up to speed on the score in the film and on album.

And quite frankly, I think this is one neat score.

Well, guys, I think it's pretty sure given the clues: it's Monsignor. Yay!!! ^_^

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monsignor! In glorious CD quality! Oh please, let it be so! ^_^

And yes, I would be one to complain about it not being complete, but I haven't had a chance to see the film (as it's not on DVD). But it is a killer album, definitely.

I so hope this is true!

Monsignor would be great. Due to its lack of availability, most members of this forum aren't even aware of its awesomeness. You thought "Miracle of the Ark" was a cool take on religion? Well, just wait for "Gloria."

Black Sunday is in fact from 1977 (released in April of that year), but since it was from earlier in the year of Star Wars and Close Encounters, Williams' biggest scores of the year, and surelly the ones that remains beacons of his carreer, I would say that this has Monsignor written all over it.

It sounds like Monsignor.Black sunday never had a LP release.

I do remember one unreleased brass orchestral swell not on the LP (c.d. boot).

LP rips generally sound pretty good,I wonder how much they can improve on the sound.The vocals in Gloria are a bit rough in the boot.

It's good news,but not as good as if it was Family Plot.I wonder when Ford Thaxton is going to get it out of his closet

Has anyone an idea how much unreleased stuff is in 'Monsignor'?

I've once seen it, like 15 years before, and only remember that i was shocked how trite it was so i didn't see it from start to finish. The album sounds like a perfect summary, though.

That Monsignor/Missouri Breaks CD is a bootleg. Missouri Breaks has been released officially on CD (twice, by Ryko and then Varese) but Monsignor was released only on LP in 1983.

Didn't some record producer claim to have the complete recording sessions with a bunch of stuff not on the c.d.?Now they probably didn't get the "rights" to release everything (and after 25 years on this crap movie why the f*uck not?).So now they'll minimise the importance of unreleased material.

unless this has stellar sound quality compared to the LP transfer(somehow I doubt it),it's pretty useless to me other than the fact of knowing I have a legit copy stashed away in my c.d. shelf(and I don't even care about that anymore)

It's good news,but not as good as if it was Family Plot.I wonder when Ford Thaxton is going to get it out of his closet

Who's Ford Thaxton?

Oh, where to begin...

Tell me....I want to know anything regarding Family Plot!!

Who's Ford Thaxton?

Oh, where to begin...

Tell me....I want to know anything regarding Family Plot!!

He's some sort of record producer with a vast amount of bootlegs in his possession(but he condemns bootleg trading or anything that may potentially prevent him from making money at some point in the future).Everything to him ends with a $ value .He refers to everyone who doesn't see his profit oriented "business" point of view on scores as "fanboys"(like why bother adding unreleased music to a release if it doesn't mean $$$ in the end)

Anyways from reading between the lines in various posts at FSM I suspect he might have those Family Plot recordings,but I could be wrong

Yey! This sounds very promising. I transferred my Monsignor LP to CD a few years ago and it sounds ok, but I think the sound on the original LP could be better, especially on Gloria which suffers a little on crackly vinyl in the loud sections (ie the whole thing!)

Unfortunately I did once make it through all of the dreadful Monsignor and it was mostly the music that got me through it. I'd say there is no more than 5 minutes of music in the movie that isn't on the album. However there is a substantial amount of music on the album that isn't in the film.

That's not so good. A product that is available for everyone to download gets too widespread and that will hurt an eventual official release. CD bootlegs have a limited release and are always bought by die-hard collectors. Die-hard collectors will want to have the genuine article too.

Bootlegs are often an indication that there's a market for an offical release.

Alex

Steef, I'm talking 'in the long run'. If everyone has already downloaded it, why bother releasing it on CD? People already have it! Result? The legal owner's chances at making money are very poor.

Alex

OK I hear you. But what about downloading bootlegs?

Die hard was availeble online for years before it was released olfficially, as was The Burbs, as was Predator, as was Heartbeeps, as was the Basic Instinct One and the Total Recall one and the Godzilla one.

Even in a small, niche market like soundtracks there are apparently easily 3000 people willing to chuck away their bootlegs if a legit release it made availeble.

TPM bootlegs were rampant in the early 2000's, yet nearly everyone bought the UE, even knowing it was a shoddy product.

This could mean we finally get a legit CD release of "The Esplanade Overture"! :huh:

If there's a concert piece by John Williams I'd die to hear recorded properly, that's the one. Of course the track "The Meeting in Sicily" on the Monsignor OST is very very similar, but I'd love to hear an official recorded version of the complete piece. There are quite a few stunning passages (like the blaring horns before the finale) that aren't on the Monsignor version.