Intrada's next release

TownerFan

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This could mean we finally get a legit CD release of "The Esplanade Overture"! :huh:

If there's a concert piece by John Williams I'd die to hear recorded properly, that's the one. Of course the track "The Meeting in Sicily" on the Monsignor OST is very very similar, but I'd love to hear an official recorded version of the complete piece. There are quite a few stunning passages (like the blaring horns before the finale) that aren't on the Monsignor version.

It's a "comic overture," isn't it? I remember hearing the piece (no idea how). Some things certainly had to be adjusted for its use in Monsignor.

It's a "comic overture," isn't it? I remember hearing the piece (no idea how). Some things certainly had to be adjusted for its use in Monsignor.

Wasn't it the other way around?

I always thought that the concert piece was adapted from the Monsignore cue?

The "Esplanade Overture" debuted in a Boston Pops concert in May 1983, so I guess Williams originally wrote the piece as a concert arrangement for the Monsignor OST album. By the way, the Boston Pops version is further expanded, adding even more panache and virtuosic orchestral performance. I think a recording of the piece was included on the "Fanfare & Themes" bootleg.

After all this speculation I really hope it is Monsignor!

It's my birthday Tuesday, so if it is Monsignor, that'll be a great present.

If it's not Monsignore I'm going to be pissed!

I don't have any doubts though, I'd stake my life on it being Monsignor if I could.

I've read that the cue came from the concert piece, though I don't remember where.

In the early 80's (81 or 82), Williams talked to Richard Dyer of the Boston Globe, and at the time he mentioned he was working on "a comic overture" to be premiered in the 1982 Pops season -- which it was under the name of "Esplanade Overture". Williams recorded it for a Evening at Pops show, and it's from there that the recording on the bootleg comes from.

As far as I know, Williams decided to use it on the film, and adapted it to fit the action, hence the diferences between recordings.

My guess, and that's as good as anyones else guessing, is that the film being the piece of crap it was, Williams just wasn't able to write anything else, and decided to use the overture.

I've read that the cue came from the concert piece, though I don't remember where.

This might be what you read, and I remember reading it years ago.... I just remembered it differently:

http://www.johnwilliams.org/compositions/e...deoverture.html

In May of 1982 Williams told Richard Dyer, "On my desk right now I have the score of a 'Comedy Overture' of my own — I hope to finish it in time to play it during June. No, it doesn't go to any specific comedy — the audience will just have to invent one as it goes along." The Boston premiere did not take place until May 3, 1983 but in the interim Williams scored the film Monsignor and utilized music from the overture for parts of the score. Whatever the reason, Williams' urge to do some musical recycling is understandable given how awful the film is.

What I'm wondering is, and this is just a strange gut feeling... perhaps the overture he described in 1982 was a different piece?

The above paragraph wasn't in the one article, so I'm thinking perhaps the author just assumed it was the same piece.

I find it a little hard to believe Williams would sit down to score a new film and use something he composed for a different project. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just don't think the thought would even occur to him to do anything other than write a new piece. Snippets from the overture appear in other cues, so I have a hard time believing the inspiration for some significant material from the film score didn't come from the score.

Just my two cents. I could be wrong though.. just sharing some thoughts

Right now, I'm wondering at what time is the official anoucement being placed?

Announce time is 5:15 Pacific on Monday.

-Erik-

A.M. or P.M.?

And more important, how does that translate to GMT?

Miguel, feeling lazy to check by himself...

Right now, I'm wondering at what time is the official anoucement being placed?

Announce time is 5:15 Pacific on Monday.

-Erik-

A.M. or P.M.?

And more important, how does that translate to GMT?

Miguel, feeling lazy to check by himself...

I believe it's 1:15 AM GMT on Tuesday.

This is the first John Williams score I've purchased in a long time, which makes me uber-excited! It's the first because I own all the inexpensive in print scores, all I have left to buy are the expensive rare OOP ones.

Question: How do you change your little # of posts label? I realized everyone has something different. For ex. Miguel has Accidental Tourist. Regular Poster doesn't suit my personality, how do I change it?

Bahaha!

Ordered.

And check out the sound clips. That's some nice quality. I don't think my LP rip matches it. I'd compare them, but I've just realized I accidentally deleted it. Hah. Thank God Intrada decided to release the CD now.

I'm thinking of including the reissued Witches of Eastwick with this order. However, I heard that there were some sound quality issues with that. Were they corrected?

So I've never really heard anything of Monsignor other than Williams did it. Is it well regarded here?

I'm listening to the preview of the meeting in sicily and it sounds very nice

I got mp3s of the LP transfer amidst a batch of trades a year ago, and it has become one of my favorite Williams scores of all time. It is so gorgeous from beginning to end, and really has some of the finest dramatic/emotional material he's ever written, in my opinion.

Buy it!

Those soundclips were actually my first exposure to Monsignor, although I would have ordered it regardless. I can't believe I've ignored this score for so long, I can't wait to recieve and hear the album now!

I guess I'll get it... I have a GREAT LP rip... and I'm sure this will sound great... it won't have the slight noise that the LP rip has... for $19 too so...

I kinda wish it were complete. If it had more music than the LP, I think I wouldn't hesitate but missing 3 minutes?... I'll remember to cry latter lol

I guess that the masters were unreachable or something...

You know... Reunion in Italy almost reminds me of something from Stargate lol

Have never really listened to it since I got it lol... Some really interesting music and sound...

I'm thinking of including the reissued Witches of Eastwick with this order. However, I heard that there were some sound quality issues with that. Were they corrected?

It's been corrected, but you can't know if you'll get the wrong or the right one. The right one has "RE" on the CD matrix inside.

I ordered it from Amazon I think, and I got lucky. :cool: