Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

4 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

The 1976 film or the John Ford documentary? I think it's better than the '76 film. But I haven't seen that in 30+ years.

I really should watch Ford's film.

The '76 film. It's got a score by little known composer John Williams. 

• 2 weeks later...

My parents got me the Dial of Destiny 4K UHD release for Christmas

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm not so sure I've read your opinion about the film. Did you like it?

4 hours ago, Jay said:

At least its got that nice isolated score.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don’t ask me why I spend my hard earned money on this… I’m not even a Snyder fan! But I did enjoy his cut of JL, even though I think Josstice League is a better movie (and has a better aspect ratio!), but I can’t say I won’t watch it - and enjoy it.

Aa I’m writing this, I’ve actually started watching this. However, I’ll skip MoS as I don’t really have any fond memories of that movie - and is not particularly keen on revisiting it - and go right into BvS. Not that that movie is much better but at least it tried to do some fun things, the introduction of Wonder Woman for example. But, man, is Snyder’s take on ol’ Supes bleak. The way he straight up kills that terrorist in his first scene by flying him through several walls. Not very Superman is it (But then again neither was killing Zod in the previous movie). Batman’s first scene, weirdly crawling around on the ceiling doesn’t fare much better. And, despite being a good actor, Jesse Eisenberg’s portrayal of Lex Luther is more annoying than menacing.

So I’ll skip the first one, suffer through the second one to get to the (kind of) good one.

Yay me.

But it was a good deal if that is any kind of justification, $US 18.78 including shipping, for all three movies on 4K and these weird lenticular postcards (10 of ‘em all in all).

IMG_1787.jpeg

Okay, you should never do that—placing a glass with liquid on the same surface as the one displaying CDs. :eh:

I'm waiting for mine from amazon on February 20th! :angryfire:

By the way, do you know the bad news?

The atmos track in the first film still doesn't include the choir and percussion in certain parts of the score (as the previous blu-ray).

So, the only way I'm gonna watch this is with the original mono track, although the music is said to sound glorious in the remix.

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

I ask you… what is best in life?

Why didn't you buy the Chronicles set?

4 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Why didn't you buy the Chronicles set?

I did actually.  I wanted Blu-Ray for my projector setup which doesn’t support 4K, so I should get the Chronicles on Blu Ray tomorrow.   I hate that Arrow stopped doing combo packs and sell the formats separately.  I did the same thing with Flash Gordon and Barbarella…. Hmmm all Dino De Laurentiis productions. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I must be crazy. I paid 85 euros at ebay to buy this!

(it was the only copy, and it comes from a box - I didn't want to buy the box and own a bunch of movies I am not interested in)

Call-Me-By-Your-Name-4K.jpg

I hate it when they do that.

There are other 4k movies too that I'm interested in and they come in boxes with other movies, and they are not released on their own! Pfffff! :angryfire:

• 2 weeks later...

And another one that I paid individually (70€), that came from a box (not my photo)!

s-l1200.jpg

I could buy the box as someone suggested and sell the films I'm not interested in, but that seems such a hassle to me.

15 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm ready for Christmas.

(Forgot to put LEGO Johnny in the photo)

OMG, I can never buy (although I have a couple of early blu-rays) blu-rays for American films with covers in another language than English. Even though I'm Greek. I don't know why...

On 3/3/2024 at 2:39 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, what's the point of those?

To encourage recycling.

Another expensive purchase from ebay!

15660.jpg

I really should purchase blu-rays as soon as they become available, and not to wait until they become OOP!

• 2 weeks later...

There's some fantastic stuff there, @filmmusic, but I'll single out VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED as a British classic.

Brilliant script (can you believe that the man who wrote this also wrote THE SWARM?!), fine acting, and well creepy kids (who looked that way because platinum blonde wigs were placed on children with brown eyes).

"You're thinking of... a brick wall!"

Excellent choices, all round.

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

I took advantage of MovieZyng's sale regarding Warner Archive blu-rays. Today is the last day of the sale for anyone interested.

Untitled.png

Not familiar with the store. Is it mainly region A releases?

16 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Brilliant script (can you believe that the man who wrote this also wrote THE SWARM?!)

I have never seen THE SWARM.

I want to, because I like disaster movies of that era, but I have heard bad things about it from many sources..

Just now, filmmusic said:

I want to, because I like disaster movies of that era, but I have heard bad things about it from many sources..

It's a disaster.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Not familiar with the store. Is it mainly region A releases?

Well, it's situated in USA. But they ship internationally. Now, it's another story what I'll pay at customs! :unsure:

The Warner Archive releases I think are Region free.

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

The best second best thing I can say about it, is that it is an unintentionally funny film.

The first best thing that I can say about it, is that Jerry's score is fucking awesome!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I just won this in an ebay auction for €64.36 (incl. shipping and VAT).

s-l1600.jpg

It's my favorite of the Mad Max films. I didn't like the first one, and I cannot remember the second. Maybe I should watch it again?

On 27/02/2024 at 4:31 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

image.jpeg

I'm ready for Christmas.

(Forgot to put LEGO Johnny in the photo)

These movies in German (according to Google Translate) are called "Kevin Alone at Home" and "Kevin Alone in New York"? Huh