Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

15 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The biggest difference in SUPERMAN II is that there is no Megasound soundtrack on any DVD or Blu-ray release.

Well, isn't that in essence a 5.1 track?

I think you’re reading to much into it. Any mix won’t be a 1 = 1 substitute. Who knows what amount of tinkering and approximation has been made?

5.1 as we know it today didn’t exist 50 years ago, the technology was still in its infancy. Any 5.1 or 7.1 on a blu ray or UHD is an approximation of the original surround mix. It’s probably “better” in many ways - customized for our modern appetites.

As I pointed out many times before, if you want to experience it as in ‘78 (STM) or ’80 (SII), you’re probably better off choosing the original stereo soundtrack.

Really hate the ratings logos on the covers, but nice buy. Does anyone know the best dvd version of E.T. to buy? I don't want to get one with the flashlights. Was there a cool collectors edition somewhere?

27 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

Does anyone know the best dvd version of E.T. to buy?

You don't have the capability of a blu-ray?

Here you can see the diffrennt DVD versions of the film, and pick the one you like best:

https://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=2002

The thing is, I don't see a DVD version with the original theatrical audio (2.0) in the theatrical cut of the film.

The 5.1 remix has changed some lines, mainly in the "hospital" scene, and maybe some audio effects too? I am not sure.

1 hour ago, Schilkeman said:

Really hate the ratings logos on the covers, but nice buy.

I don't mind them personally. Although the Aussie ones are truly dreadful.

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

You don't have the capability of a blu-ray?

Here you can see the diffrennt DVD versions of the film, and pick the one you like best:

https://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=2002

The thing is, I don't see a DVD version with the original theatrical audio (2.0) in the theatrical cut of the film.

The 5.1 remix has changed some lines, mainly in the "hospital" scene, and maybe some audio effects too? I am not sure.

I have a 4k bluray player, but what can I say? I have peculiar taste. I can live with 5.1 if the picture is ok, ala Indiana Jones. Looks like I'll go for the ultimate gift set, since they all seem to have both versions.

14 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

I have a 4k bluray player, but what can I say? I have peculiar taste.

OMG! You do have peculiar taste.

I have the capability of 4k too, but I couldn't ever go back to DVDs!

Fortunately the E.T. blurays and 4k haven't changed the colors or anything, as have other films on these mediums.

That's interesting. I personally preferred Red Planet although I haven't watched either since they were originally released on DVD. I remember the trailer for MtM being amazing with those weird sandworm dust hoover things, but the ending of the film being quite silly what with weeping bad CG alien and all. I'll probably need to revisit both to see how they hold up, if at all. 

33 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

INVADERS FROM MARS (the good one)

What is the good one?

The 50s you mean?

I saw it recently and didn't care for it much...

On the other hand, the 80s film was a childhood favorite! :D

Also, let's not forget the masterpiece:

Total Recall (the old one of course)

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered!

Untitled2.png

Well, the Basic Instinct 4k has some DNR in some scenes, and some questionable color grading, but I love this film so much, I had to have it in my collection!

BASIC INSTINCT is, truly, among the greatest films of the 90s.

The music on the DVD is so well presented. It's upfront in the mix, with plenty from the surrounds.

On 4K, it should sound astonishing.

EVENT HORIZON is a rough diamond of a film. I wish there was an extended cut.

13 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Just ordered!

Untitled2.png

I was thinking about SII last night while I was trying to fall asleep. It's a pity the Donner Cut did not have the budget to really present the film as it could have been. With today's tech I'm thinking it would be possible to recreate the blank bullets scene with a stand in actor and face replacement, as well as a new set. Also the Villains taking over the world and the Metropolis battle could be redone to remove the fake looking sets and some of the very goofy bit players (trumpet guy, roller skating dude, toupee couple, etc.) Unlikely to ever happen unless Selutron does a 2.0 cut.

I like the trumpet player: "Man, this is gonna be good!" :lol:

Somewhere on YouTube (please don't ask me to find it, or my brain will bleed!) there is a great fan edit of SUPERMAN II where Kal-El decides to become human.

It features both Brando and Susannah York, and it's as near perfect as it can be.

Since 2006, I've wanted a hybrid II, that features the best of the Lester and Donner cuts.

18 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

It's a pity the Donner Cut did not have the budget to really present the film as it could have been.

I have not seen it, and I'm not sure if I'll see it.

I always prefer the theatrical cuts.

4 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I have not seen it, and I'm not sure if I'll see it.

I always prefer the theatrical cuts.

I would have loved to have seen the second Superman film Richard Donner was going to make. This was not it no matter how much they wanted it to be.

Even with all its flaws, I think that The Donner Cut is still better than the theatrical version.

I watched my 4K copy the other day. It  looks gorgeous by comparison with the BD, as pointed out before.

Oliver Harper did a comparison between the BD and 4K recentlywhich further proves the point.

Screencaps comparison:

Spoiler

IMG_8514.png

IMG_8515.png

IMG_8516.png

IMG_8517.png

IMG_8518.png

IMG_8519.png

The only major color grading mistake seems to be during the Niagara Falls segment where Lois’ shirt seems to change color during one scene, but honestly, I didn’t notice.

Screencaps comparison:

Spoiler

IMG_8512.png

IMG_8511.png

There’s been complaints about “orange face” and a slight over use of DNR causing “waxy faces” but it didn’t bother me.

Screencaps:

Spoiler

IMG_8524.png

IMG_8529.png

However, there is a problem with the ending, during the fly-by scene where Superman appears to be squeezed. This is a bit distracting. I guess it wasn’t transferred in the correct aspect ratio.

Screencap:

Spoiler

IMG_8520.png

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

However, there is a problem with the ending, during the fly-by scene where Superman appears to be squeezed. This is a bit distracting. I guess it wasn’t transferred in the correct aspect ratio.

Maybe the source was like this?

4 minutes ago, rough cut said:

No, it was fine on the BD and DVD.

Darn it!

Had I known, I wouldn't have purchased it! I hate errors in physical media I pay to get. :angryfire:

6 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Even Brazil?

Hmmm. I admit I have only seen the director's cut of Brazil. At a time I didn't know any better.

Why? The theatrical cut is worse?

I have only heard this about Once upon a time in America. That the US theatrical cut is unwatchable.

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Hmmm. I admit I have only seen the director's cut of Brazil

It is the only cut of BRAZIL to watch.

Btw, it is not the "director's cut". There is no "director's cut". The cut that was released in Europe, in early 1985 is the cut that Gilliam intended audiences to see.

Sid Sheinberg took BRAZIL away from Gilliam, and, as @Marian Schedenig rightly says, butchered it, for the American market. Do not , under any circumstances watch this version!

There is an insightful book, about the making of the film, called "The Battle Of Brazil".

• 1 month later...

There was a small sale at one of the online stores in my country. Buy 2 + 1 free choice.

Bought the following

- Misery

- John Wick: Chapter 4

- The Black Phone

- Elvis

- Nope

- House Of The Dragon: Season 1

Quite happy. Eslecially with Misery. Been wanting that for a long time

17 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

My order came, today, from Music Magpie (anybody else use 'em?).

TRON and TRON: LEGACY.

Can't wait to watch them.

Blu ray? 4k? (Is there a 4K?)

Tron Legacy is one of the few movies where I just about HAVE to watch my blu ray. No streaming, no rips. It has to be perfect. And then it's glorious!

Sadly, @Tallguy, they're both on DVD (I know, I know).

At this time, DVD is perfectly fine, for me, and I can adjust the picture.

In terms of presentation, I wanted them for their soundtracks (and not just the music).

Both films are brilliant to listen to, and until the invention of Dolby Atmos/DTS-X, I'm not sure if Blu Ray offered that quantum leap forward in sound reproduction, from DVD. Picture quality? Yes, indeed, but sound? I'm not convinced. I guess it all depends upon the equipment that it's played on.

Which brings me to a question: for those JWfaners who have Dolby Atmos or DTS-X systems, how does the system handle 5.1? Does it upgrade, or does it play in 5.1?

Anyway, both films are two of my all-time favourites. I'd enjoy them even if I watched them on VHS and a Sony Trinitron (see what I did, there? :)).

• 2 months later...

IMG_20231124_133255.jpg

IMG_20231124_133115.jpg

On 29/08/2023 at 7:10 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Which brings me to a question: for those JWfaners who have Dolby Atmos or DTS-X systems, how does the system handle 5.1? Does it upgrade, or does it play in 5.1?

I speak under correction, but as I understand it, if the Dolby Atmos or DTS-X system i.e. hardware detects a standard 5.1 track it will play that as is, unless you enable a mode that can pseudo upscale to a format with more channels. It's a bit like Dolby Pro-Logic II that takes a stereo film track with matrix encoded surround for example and simulates a more 5.1-like effect with semi-discreet L/R surrounds.

Although my Integra receiver predates object based audio formats, it has an Audyssey music mode that upscales my 2 channel music to 7.1-like sound using the front effects speakers in my rig amongst others. It's quite immersive, although my regular stereo setup still kicks its teeth out for pure critical listening purposes.

On another note, can't believe it's been nearly 3 months since the last post in this thread.

image.jpeg

My Amazon order also included Duel and Nolan's Insomnia, but the envelope was half open and those two discs (of four - the whole order arrived split over several shipments) were missing. There doesn't seem to be a way to contact Amazon's customer service anymore, so the only option I found was to select "parts missing", which meant that I got a return code in exchange for immediate replacements, but had to accept that I would be billed a second time if I don't return the items "in the condition I received them in" by 1 February. I guess I'll just have to send back a printed note saying that the two items were missing (as already mentioned in my initial complaint), and the contents of the (otherwise empty) return envelope therefore *are* the items in the conditions I received them in…

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Better than the original?

The 1976 film or the John Ford documentary? I think it's better than the '76 film. But I haven't seen that in 30+ years.

I really should watch Ford's film.