What is the last film you watched?

Mr. Breathmask

Film: Wow, surprisingly good...(Just now finished it!) First of all, the cinematography and direction were stunning.

I agree about cinematography and direction. The film's problem is that while I can forgive most of its flaws for these two reasons, it gets the purpose of the orgy scene entirely wrong and basically ruins the main character and by extension the whole story that way. As good as the rest of the movie is, that's pretty unforgiveable.

Oh, and I do recommend you read the book. :lol:

I did not particularly like most of the movie...but the orgy scene totally sunk it for me, and I HATED the film for a while (one of the few films that initially seemed absolutely iredeemable for me). I've cooled off since then, I was considering giving it another try. I can't stand the score. Very, very cheap sounding to me. General Hannibal rip-off, and doesn't sound particularly orchestrated. Sounds like someone wrote a synth treatment, and had an orchestrator try and make it...orchestral.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't like "Perfume". It just didn't jive with me, and by the time the orgy scene came up, I didn't know whether to roll my eyes in annoyance or laugh at the film. My roommate wants to me give it a second try....I don't think so.

The Second Civil War. I'd never heard of this Joe Dante TV movie until last week...and I just came upon it by chance at my DVD place (it was on the Roger Corman shelf by mistake). Terrific satire. And I've seen several movies that have come true to some extent....but this one gets some of the nuances of future events to an lamost unbelievable extent. And even though it is (I think) the only non-Jerry scores Dante film since the 80's, Hummie Mann's score is quite good for the proceedings.

I'm not the biggest Dante fan...but this and Small Soldiers just strike me the right way.

This was on TV recently, I loved it. A Joe Dante film begins to look obvious once you start seeing familiar faces like Kevin McCarthy, Dick Miller and Robert Picardo.

:lol:

I was bored silly by it. It's as if they pieced the movie together from every other submarine movie ever, except, they only copied the boring parts.

Started Watching Godard's Sympathy for the Devil (aka 1 plus 1). Damn, Godard depresses me. It's interesting for seeing the Stones in action. But the narrative Godard tries to form around it makes it such an unsatisfying package.

Just visited New York (mainly Manhattan) and saw only one movie in theaters there. It turned out to be one of the most terrible movies I've ever seen: Untraceable (a thriller with Diane Lane). I can't believe the newspaper reviewer gave it **1/2 stars. And he's pretty tough, the highest rated movies in town are There Will Be Blood and NCFOM and they only got ***1/2.

Alex

10,000BC - plenty of money on-screen and impressive visuals but the film lacked any depth and there was no rapport for the characters at all.

Story was very similar to Apocalypto and Kloser's score sounded like Zimmer's King Arthur and featured too many orchestral rises, shamefully attempting to boost the film.

Makes you realise how man have always been cruel to animals and we haven't advanced a great deal - that's about it

Thought so. Cheers! ;)

I saw Memento again. It's been a while. Still love it. Performances are terrific (back when Guy Pierce was still making real movies). ***1/2/****.

Also saw Shane for the first time. Damn fine western. Looks fantastic (even though a western in full screen will always look wrong). Acting is fine, Alan Ladd is excellent in the lead. He's the conscientious cowboy, but does not lay it on too thick. And surprisingly enough for a Hollywood Golden age film, the kid is not too annoying. Victor Young's score is lovely. ***1/2/****.

Thought so. Cheers! :)

So, any more Marian-type movies to recommend? :)

Side node: I find it interesting that with this and Adaptation, Maggie Gyllenhaal is in two self-referencing movies. Intersting and cool, that is.

10,000BC - plenty of money on-screen and impressive visuals but the film lacked any depth and there was no rapport for the characters at all.

Oh from the trailer and the resume of the director I'm sure you expected something different.

Stranger Than Fiction. Loved it. And it's indeed and absolutely a Marian type of movie. Simply wonderful! :)

You sound like AI.

How so?

The whole third person thing.

Doomsday

Wow . . . what a terrible movie. You cannot believe how many different movies this thing rips off, how many different genres it tries to be. It starts off as a 28 Weeks Later ripoff (with bits of Land of the Dead and the too-recent-to-have-been-ripped-off-but-ripped-off-nonetheless I Am Legend in the mix), then becomes a full-blown Escape From New York rip-off for a while (with Tyler Bates even doing a poor-man's John Carpenter score for this part of the film!), and ends up with a hearty dose of The Road Warrior . . . but not before it takes a detour into being some sort of weird medieval tale for a while, complete with a castle and gladiators and everything.

It's so preposterous, and yet so imbued with "style" (heed the quotation marks, please) that I do not doubt for a second that it is destined to be a cult fave.

DO NOT take any of that as an endorsement. This is a terrible movie.

Juno

I haven't enjoyed a movie like this for a long time! The characters are amazingly absurd and still so realistic and the acting is also very good. Ellen Page really stole my heart ;)

So, any more Marian-type movies to recommend? ;)

The films of Woody Allen?

Oh from the trailer and the resume of the director I'm sure you expected something different.

:lol:

Thank God I'm not the only one ;) Watched Spidey 3 on dvd last night. It was the first time I've seen it on dvd since I bought it recently. Was a much better viewing experience when I saw it on the big screen.

Thank God I'm not the only one ;) Watched Spidey 3 on dvd last night. It was the first time I've seen it on dvd since I bought it recently. Was a much better viewing experience when I saw it on the big screen.

Of course it's better than what most people think. The characters are much more complicated now.

Indeed, shouldn't have given Emmerich the benefit of doubt should I!

So, any more Marian-type movies to recommend? ;)

The films of Woody Allen?

I should definitely watch more of those. Although only a handful of them has really wowed me so far.

I would go with the following 5 which are my personal favourites:

Manhattan

Purple Rose Of Ciaro

Annie Hall

Manhattan Murder Mystery

Play It Again Sam

It turned out to be one of the most terrible movies I've ever seen: Untraceable (a thriller with Diane Lane). I can't believe the newspaper reviewer gave it **1/2 stars.

Ebert gave it 3 stars and a fairly glowering review.

So I guess you are wrong.

I loved Matchpoint. It really left a strong impression. Didn't very much feel like a "Woody Allen movie" though.

Manhattan Murder Mystery

I remember liking that a lot. In fact, I've been thinking of getting the DVD recently.

Manhattan

Annie Hall

I've seen those, but don't remember much, and even before I forgot most about them, I started mixing them up. Should re-watch.

Purple Rose Of Ciaro

Play It Again Sam

Those I've never seen.

Another one I loved was Bullets Over Broadway.

It turned out to be one of the most terrible movies I've ever seen: Untraceable (a thriller with Diane Lane). I can't believe the newspaper reviewer gave it **1/2 stars.

Ebert gave it 3 stars and a fairly glowering review.

So I guess you are wrong.

Really? This further shows how bad a reviewer Ebert actually is. Have you seen it? I would very much like to debate this film with anyone (he must be a yes-sayer) who has seen it.

It's opened here. Looks quite awful. Although I did like the samples I've heard from Young's score.

I loved Matchpoint. It really left a strong impression. Didn't very much feel like a "Woody Allen movie" though.
Manhattan Murder Mystery

I remember liking that a lot. In fact, I've been thinking of getting the DVD recently.

That one was nice, but didn't leave any impact (aside from the joy of seeing Alan Alda).

Manhattan

Annie Hall

I've seen those, but don't remember much, and even before I forgot most about them, I started mixing them up. Should re-watch.

His two most famous, and definitely two of his best. Manhatten in particular.

Purple Rose Of Ciaro

Play It Again Sam

Those I've never seen.

Never seen Play it Again Sam, but Purple Rose of Cairo is wonderful.

Another one I loved was Bullets Over Broadway.

One of my favrorite Allen movies....probably the funniest.

I also recommend Hannah and Her Sisters and Zelig. And Match Point, which is excellent (It's kind of Crimes and Misdemeanors, just more focused and better).

I last night saw the DVD of Buster Keaton's The General. I'd seen this once before, at a Keaton marathon. It was an old print, and I don't recall if there was any music at all. I did not particularly like it then. This time however, on a beautiful looking DVD, it was fantastic. Great movie. Keaton is just brilliant. He's always with the audience, never the butt of the joke. He's so focused and oblivious of anything not critical....everything's happening around him, not too him, and he never muggs it or winks at the camera. Brilliant.

One of the best things, and most unexpected delights about the cheap looking DVD I bought, is the music. The score was apparantly written in 2004 for full orchestra, by none other than Joe Hisaishi. And it is a marvelous leit-motific score. It does get a bit repetetive....but the themes are good, and the music doesn't condescened, it's very respectful of the film, and the spirit of Keaton. I am now listening to the DVD in the background.....fantastic. It reminds me a lot of Hisaishi's Kiki's Delivary Service, with it's European stuff (which totally sound as if written by a western composer, with only the occaisional Hisaishi solo-piano stuff).

Highly recommended film, particualrly with the excellent score. And I watched this with two people who have a natural aversion to anything over 20 years old, certainly anything black and white, and CERTAINLY any non-talkie, and they both loved it as much as I did.

Mighty Aphrodite is also splendid.

Scoop is light-hearted and rather enjoyable.

Melinda And Melinda was absolutely great and hilarious. It also has one of my favorite endings.

I also watched my blu-ray No Country For Old Men yesterday. The movie gets better and better each time I see it.

Finally got around to watching "No Country For Old Men" tonight on BD. God Damn I'm pissed I missed it in the theater.

What a fantastic full rounded movie. Great performances, great scenery, great dialog, great great GREAT cinematography. Even the sparse use of score was a fantastic fit.

Really fully enjoyed it. Glad that I bought it outright before watching it, cause this is DEFINITELY a film I'll watch again.

Big Ringo fan, eh? The best thing about help was the production design of the Beatles' apartment(s).

I always thought Ringo was the best "actor" and most interesting. The others were fairly wooden, but still entertaining. But the movie's strengths lie in its songs, score, supporting cast and Richard Lester's unique sense of humour. I love the movie!

There's something about Lester's comedic style which just doesnt rub me the right way, especially in large doses.

It's the sophistication of British humour.

I wouldn't call Lester sophisticated.

There's something about Lester's comedic style which just doesnt rub me the right way, especially in large doses.

It's the sophistication of British humour.

I wouldn't call Lester sophisticated.

Ugh, you just... don't get it!