What is the last film you watched?

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Step Brothers starring Will Ferrel and John C. Reily.

Year One starring Jack Black and Michael Cera.

The latter looks funny, but after Ferrel's recent output, I'm not to excited over Step Brothers.

Those are both produced by Apatow, the next movie he directs will star Adam Sandler.

Terry Gilliam's Tideland. I feel wrong now.

It'll do that. 5 months after having seen it I still can't make up my mind whether I love it or hate it. I still haven't forgotten it though. It really gets inside you, and doesn't let go.

Oh, and the music is gorgeous!

The reason I keep going back to these movies is because he uses the same, however expanding, cast for his movies. It keeps the movies related somehow and I enjoy them even more because of it.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: If all kids movies were like this I wouldn't mind watching them. Potter or the one who created Potter could learn from this!

10,000 BC! The first must see comedy of 2008!

Er...1 star out of 4? Or is that too generous? A half star will do.

All I really want to say is that I had a pretty good laugh, sometimes even up to where my eyes would water. Fantastic crapfest Mr. Klouser and Mr. Emmerich!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I saw it for free. :sigh:

Oh, that bad?

The trailer did nothing for me, avoid at all cost?

You dare ask a question like that at a Hans Zimmer fansite?!? :sigh:

I like the film. It's got mythic stuff ingrained in me (images, line, the score). Not such a huge fan of the entire film, but it's got a mystical allure for me. And it is a superb score. A bit too synthy (most of the synth stuff excised from the album), but it's got very powerful themes, and not powerful in an MV sense.

I think that the album sounds all synth..., while amongst the unreleased and unused bits there are some orchestral gems.

You recommend an Elfman scored film?

Yes, but I thought Williams could've done better things with Charlie & The Chocolate Factory. At times, Elfman's score even reminded me of The Witches Of Eastwick. The Score of Ed Wood was very good. I don't think Williams could've improved on that.

And did a damn good job. One of my favorite Shore scores. I'm glad Elfman didn't do it. And it is Burton's best film. I'm surprised yiu like Willy Wonka, Alex....I really liked it, even though the Daddy subplot was a bit superfluous.

Shore, huh? I guess Burton needs to work more with him then. I knew it didn't feel like a Elfman score.

The Daddy subplot isn't in the book, I believe. It tried to explain how Charlie grew up without love. Do you think it harmed the movie?

I must say, I found Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to be one of the most pointless movies I have ever seen.

It's actually Willy Wonka and the Choclate factory (a more apt title for the film). And I enjoyed it for Depp's performance, for the songs, for the feel to it (didn't feel like a set). And I did like the delight it took in punishing the kids. Not great, not among Burton's best (For me, Ed Wood and Sweeney Todd are way ahead of the pack), but good entertainment.

It's a damn fine film (Sweeney Todd).

I can't wait to see it now. For now, I think Willy Wonka is my second favorite Burton film, after Ed Wood.

I must say, I found Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to be one of the most pointless movies I have ever seen.

It's actually Willy Wonka and the Choclate factory (a more apt title for the film).

Huh?

No, Tim Burton directed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

The old version with Gene wilder is called Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Charlie: "Candy doesn't have to have a point."

Which is in itself a pretty pointless line

But it's a perfect reply to your bafflement.

I agree. The production design and score were typically great, and Depp gave another terrific/slightly disturbing performance, but it didn't amount to much. The whole thing with his dad was distractingly superfluous.

Charlie: "Candy doesn't have to have a point."

Which is in itself a pretty pointless line

But it's a perfect reply to your bafflement.

Oh I agree ;) The comment wasn't aimed at you, rather the movie

I know.

I agree. The production design and score were typically great, and Depp gave another terrific/slightly disturbing performance, but it didn't amount to much. The whole thing with his dad was distractingly superfluous.

It's strange to see a movie without a villain, isn' it? Don't you wish that Voldemort was there to give the movie some kind of point?

Star Trek First Contact: Doesn't feel like a movie. It's more like a very long TV episode. Not good, not bad.

Is this the best Next Generation Star Trek film?

First Contact was the best of the Next Gen films. Generations could have been a good film, Insurrection felt like a 2 part TV episode that could have been trimmed to one hour. I haven't watched Nemesis since I saw it in the theatre, even though I have the Special Edition DVD.

They're all good. I'd say all of them are somewhat better than they're said to be, except FC, which is correctly rated really well as far as I know. But FC is clearly the best of the bunch, the odd number rule still in effect and Nemesis probably the last of the even-numbered ones.

Finally got around to watching The Bucket List. Sentimental fluff yes. Entertaining nonetheless? Yes. It's only crime? Its not depressing enough to be considered any good by the serious brigade. 3/5.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: If all kids movies were like this I wouldn't mind watching them. Potter or the one who created Potter could learn from this!

I love the new one, but nothing can compare to the old. The Wilder version will forever be a classic film in my mind, I will never get tired of watching it. The new one is great, but not as good as the old. My biggest complaint with the new would be the script of Charlie. It seems like the only thing he says is "It's great" or "I think it's excellent."

Burton's version was flat out aweful!! I think it's his worst film.

Gene Wilder is a genius, I love him. A super important plot point is that the bratty kids learn from Willy Wonka. Wilder was perfect in the role.

In Burton's version, Willy Wonka is learning from the kids. It makes no sense.

The Ice Storm

I liked it...but I think I need to let it sit for a while. I'm curious as to anyone else's thoughts on the film.

In Burton's version, Willy Wonka is learning from the kids. It makes no sense.

Actually, it's way more in line with Roald Dahl's book. Willie Wonka isn't the father figure as presented in the Americanized Gene Wilder version. I love how Burton's movie isn't a simplistic, black and white perception of life. Wonka is a bizarre, tragic figure with a serious streak of childlike sadism. He's a kid cut off from the real world.

It's like Tim Burton says: "Bad movie (the Wilder film). People remember it fondly because they saw it when they were kids and, in their memories, it is great. My advice: Keep that memory pure. Don't go back and watch it again."

I couldn't have said it better, Tim.

F4: The Rise Of The Silver Surfer: Not good. At first it was OK. Then the film jumps in the rapids and suddenly it's over (as if there was no more money). Come to think of it, it's very close to actually reading a comic book.

Stardust: Pretty good. Loved the scenes with Robert De Niro. There's a nice light, comical approach to this film.

Alex

The Ice Storm

I liked it...but I think I need to let it sit for a while. I'm curious as to anyone else's thoughts on the film.

It's one of the relatively few movies that I would describe as flawless. Arty without being pretentious; devastating yet not depressing; impeccably acted, written, and filmed. I LOVE the music by Mychael Danna. God damn it, now I'm going to have to buy the Criterion version of this that just came out.

My experience seeing The Ice Storm for the first time was a vaguely interesting one. I was in Atlanta killing time with a friend prior to going to a U2 concert, and we decided to go take in a Sigourney Weaver double feature consisting of The Ice Storm followed by Alien Resurrection. We were so pumped up by how much we liked The Ice Storm that Alien Resurrection (at times, a passable movie; terribly flawed, but not without its fine moments) seemed like an absolute chore to get through. Then, there was an awesome U2 concert. (Also notable score-wise is that I'd just bought the soundtrack to Tomorrow Never Dies, which we listened to and loved on the way. That movie had not yet come out, so it was a thrill to get to listen to a great new 007 score.) A pretty excellent day for entertainment.

The Ice Storm has stuck with me ever since. It's maybe not for everyone -- I think enjoying it (or should that be "enjoying" it?) depends on one's ability and willingness to enter at will into a similar emotional state to what the characters are experiencing -- but it's art of the highest order, as far as I'm concerned.

The novel by Rick Moody is great, too, by the way.

It's maybe not for everyone

Then it's made for me! I mean, I also like Ang Lee's Sense And Sensibility and Hulk, so what am I waiting for? Ice Storm, here I come!

Alex

I watched the age-old favorite South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut. This has to be one of the best from-small-to-big-screen transitions ever. Not only does the movie work perfectly on its own without altering any of the main characters' traits but it has a tone, a life of its own too. Now, when you see it within the context of the TV show (especially the last two seasons have been pretty amazing), you can kinda see how the series has changed these 9 years - for the better. The songs are pretty good too. Very well spotted.

So here's to a wonderful 90 minutes of loud laughter where, for a change, not much feels gratuitous.

BTW, the V-chip implanted in Cartman's brain, shocking him whenever he swears? Not unlike our language filter here at the board. Just thought I'd point it out.

The Ice Storm

It didn't strike me nearly as much as it did Bryant.....at least in the time, I was unimpressed with yet another movie that recreates the turmoil of the 70's. It felt very staged to me- the young actors felt out of place, out of time. Nobody came alive for me. And the "devastating" end felt like one more episode in this town's life, not a focal point for the film.

Me and Ang Lee just don't mesh (though I did like Lust, Caution a great deal).

It's maybe not for everyone

Then it's made for me! I mean, I also like Ang Lee's Sense And Sensibility and Hulk, so what am I waiting for? Ice Storm, here I come!

After you see it, see The Sweet Hereafter. Also a 1997 devastating drama scored by Mychael Danna. But a far better one.