What is the last film you watched?

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched The Terminal for the first time.

MAJOR SPOILERS

Overall, I'd say I liked it. Tom Hanks gave a terrific performance as Viktor Navorski. The accent, the mannerisms, everything, were just great. In the realm of the dramatic, the scene where he's trying to find out what's happening to Krakozhia stands out, but everything was really good. Really, all of the characters were played quite well. Stanley Tucci played Dixon well, and played his arc nicely, with him starting off sympathetically, then growing nastier as he grows more exasperated with the situation. Then, his very last scene was very nicely done. The way he lets Viktor go in a "Round up the usual suspects" kind of way was a very nice conclusion for the character.

The humor was terrific; I laughed numerous times, and the jokes and humor were all well-played.

I had already listened to the soundtrack before listening to the movie (man, those are some messed up track titles), and the score was very good in the movie. In the future I'll probably avoid listening to soundtracks before I see the movie if I can avoid it, though. This film particularly had some expectations that the score seemed to give on the CD that weren't fulfilled in the film, really.

The overall story, with the interactions with the characters, was very good. Where I felt the film really missed the mark (and if I'm not mistaken, others have noticed it also) was with the whole Amelia subplot. When we first meet her, and we find out she's the other woman in an affair, red flags went up. I thought, "Okay, that's unnecessary, but I guess they'll work it out." As the subplot drifted further away from the initial awkwardness (pretty much from the start of the bookstore scene), I found myself more rooting for things to work out and for Viktor and Amelia to end up together. The sequence with them working to get her to run into Viktor and the whole dinner scene with the Enrique, Joe, and Gupta acting as restaurant workers had such a charm and light humor to it, that at that point, I was ready for them to end up together. Then you have the whole fountain scene, and it seems all is well, and then for some reason, she just goes back to the self-destruct mode? I'll probably need to see it again, but if I understand it right, Amelia wasn't a true love interest in the traditional sense, but rather simply another one of the friends Viktor makes and learns from and through and also touches with his life. The scene when he leaves the airport and they smile at each other seemed to be an unspoken indication that they understood that they were on different paths, and that neither harbored any resentment toward the other.

As it is, it works out so that when the film ends, I'm not drug down by the way the whole Amelia thing turned out. He accomplished what he set out to accomplish, and thanks to the setbacks, ended up learning new things and touching the lives of others, and that's ultimately the point. But at the same time...well, for one thing, there's the dinner scene. Loved it. And then when Dixon asks "Why Viktor Navorski?" it kind of seemed she was going for him. She even dumped the other guy--she said she was free. They made reparations. Why did she go back to the other guy? That's what didn't really make sense. For another thing, I kind of felt that...well, if I'm watching a Frank Capra movie, I want Jimmy Stewart to get the girl. If any amount of it was to appease cynics in any way...well, the people who appreciate this kind of stuff don't care--just work it all out. Since Spielberg was clearly going for the Capra-esque thing, I figure hey, go all out with it. Don't make her the fickle other woman, just make her...a leading lady, I guess you would say...and carry on a more traditional romance. If it was so as not to cheapen the overall theme of the film, well...just leave well enough alone, I say. But again, the strength of the rest of the film was such that when the film was over, I wasn't really kicking a can down the street over it or anything--and in lesser hands, the film could've crumbled under it.

I'm pretty sure I'll come back to this one; the characters and subplots were fun and charming, and I may catch some things I missed the first time. I really wish they had handled the romantic subplot differently, and so that knocks it down a notch for me. Overall, though, it was a nice film. ***/****

EDIT: The only thing about the score that kind of nags at me is why the seeming Love Theme is played over the finale. It seems as though the title of the concert suite "Jazz Autographs" holds more of a connection to the Navorskis' love of jazz and Viktor's goal, but it is very much a Love Theme (a beautiful one at that). Any thoughts?

Not when her charcter is as badly written as that. And the best she's ever looked, IMO, is in Intolerable Cruelty.

Darabont, needing a more concrete ending, found it in that near-throwaway line. And in his movie, push does indeed come right down to shove. The genius of Darabont kicks in when we see the tanks come rolling in right after David has committed his act of mercy (or sacrifice). And as if that weren't enough of a knife between the ribs, the lady who walked out of the grocery store in the beginning sails by on a troop transport, her children nestled safely beneath her. (That idea, by the way, was actor Jeffrey DeMunn's; Darabont acknowledges him on the film's commentary track, proof positive that Darabont is a stand-up guy.) Most films would be okay with merely having one gut-punch; this one has three, following close at each others' heels. The movie prior to these moments has been excellent, but I think the last few minutes puts it into the realm of classic.

I saw it last night. I loved the mood of it. But I don't understand the wild praise. I had several issues with it:

1. We see way too much of the monsters. I think that unseen monsters in the mist are far more intimidating. And I did not think the effects were that notable....the scariest insects for me were the hundreds of small spiders, none of the big stuff.

2. The collapse of society is nothing new....it felt like several one-dimensional characters and situations. Marcia Gay-Harden was fine....but I don't understand how people could love her. She's a one-dimensional freak. A far more interesting character would be one that people can actually understand...sure, I cheered when she got it, but I would have liked a more understandable character. And Andre Braugher's character was extremely annoying. If he'd had a death scene, I would have cheered.

3. The movie seems to be building towards explaining the monsters, and the army's culpability, but totally fails to deliver.

4. The ending was nice and downbeat...but it felt rather inevitable. And frankly, I didn't care enough about these people to care. It's not amazing....the army seems to represent some sort of saviour, which comes a minute too late. But their role in creating the situation is so vague, that their reintroduction as good-guys feels wrong.

Yet, with all those major flaws (for me), I still enjoyed it. It worked spectacularly well for the first half (or so), and the monster scenes, while dissapointing in their place in the story, were rather good. It had a good vibe, and did a good job of showing the dynamics between the people (predictable as they may be). The reveal of the beast at the end is spectacular image, although it was marred for me by the misused Dead can Dance piece. Isham could have provided something better.

I loved the cinematography of it- especially in the begining, where the constantly moving steady-cam gives a weird and off-kilter vibe to the relatively normal first scene in the store.

Overall, I enjoyed it as it was going on.....but it's not trashy enough to get away with it's lacking character-development and plot. If it presented itself as trash, that's one thing...but Darabont and co. seem to believe they're discovering stuff and creating something that transcends the genre (evident in his entertaining, but somewhat delusional commentary). They didn't. And it's a shame that I didn't like it more, because I was hoping that this would be the film that'd get me excited about the horror genre (Beyond Misery, The Shining, The Exorcist, Carrie and Psycho, I haven't reall seen much of it).**1/2/****.

I also saw Pulp Fiction again. Not sure why, but I am constantly surprised to find that this movie is as good as it's made out to be. Still one of the most entertaining ever made. ****/****.

Funnily enough I watched The Mist last night too. A let down, but definitely worth a watch - if you can grim and bare Marcia Gay-Harden's ott (but admittedly good) performance as the nut-job bible basher. I HATED her character and wanted her dead sooooo much, in fact her character very nearly ruined the movie for me. I can see what Darabont was getting at with her character, but the dynamic it created was not allowed to simmer long enough to be convincing. The fact that she (a known local crackpot) converts that bunch of fools over the space of two days (I hear it is over a much longer period in the book, which would surely ring truer) is utterly unconvincing, in fact it was blatantly stupid! That one element let down the rest of the movie quite badly, which is shame since there was a lot of fun to be found of the Tremors variety which would be great if that brand of fun was just allowed to let rip.

Which brings me to the films major problem: I don't think it knows exactly what its trying to be. A grim apocalyptic look at the end of mankind? A study of the human condition when death is apparently unavoidable? A creepy crawly comedy splat-fest? A sci-fi tragedy? At times it is all of those things, which frankly makes the film a bit of a mess.

I'll say nothing of the countless clichés to be found either (the young lovers who share a secret kiss before one of them is promptly jettisoned! The shouty idiot who wishes he'd kept his mouth shut and just listened...), since that would just be moaning for the hell of it. The Mist is an entertaining little movie, if you can put up with a ton of annoyance and poor script decisions. 3/5.

Kill Bill? That's one of the weakest Tarantino films ever. Just an bunch of forced choreographed fights. I say "forced" because they felt like they had no foundation or motive, as if they were done just for the heck of it.

The second part is an improvement though. A little more substance to go with the style.

I thought so too, but in the end, I don't get much out of them. It's Grindhouse nonsense, nothing essential.

you heard wrong the story takes place over a short period of time just as in the movie.

watched Jaws last night, still a marvelous tight work as GE said in the other thread.

also saw the Ruins, an interesting horror movie, well worth matinee prices

I think the second part is a significant improvement. It slows down significantly, and feels more like an epic revenge tale. And I was happy for Beatrix in the end. Also, a little David Carradine goes a long way.

The second part is an improvement though. A little more substance to go with the style.

I'm the total opposite here. I enjoyed the comic book slice-fest styling's of the first part. The second part bored me to death with it's pretentious ramblings which went on and on and on...

I remember wanting to leave the theatre, but I was driving everyone home so I had to painfully stick it out. When the credits rolled i couldn't wait to get away from that turgid piece of ego-crap.

They should've mixed both films to create a more balanced film. The fights of the first one would still not feel spontaneous.

I think you will see that in the future, personally I loved them both because neither is the same. I was initially disappointed that there wasn't a great fight between the Bride and Bill because it was David Carridine, but I came to realize it had its own nobility.

I'm not a fan of Tarantino in general but Kill Bill really was the first one I genuinely enjoyed. Yeah I can see where you're coming from with the fight scenes, but I just took it all in without thinking about it that much.

I don't think it works particularly well as eye-candy. I was bored with the fights. The scenes I remember most is the flashback to the wedding reheasal, Beatrix punching her way out of her grave (set fantastically to the Morricone piece), and the showdown with Bill, in which I felt real affection between them.

To date, I've generally liked his selections. I like the Morricone cuts in Kill Bill, and the Herrmann one. And I liked the Blow Out cue in Death Proof (not really in context of the film, which I hated, I just liked the De Palma reference).

By using pre-excisting music, Tarentino gives a scene a certain association with another movie, or another scene. Which is ofdten very clever, but it stand also stand in the way of the scene itself.

Tarentino's main problem is that he's trying to be clever all the time. "Hey look at me referencing this old forghotten movie from the 70's that only film geeks know about"

That's why I feel like Pulp Fiction is his best. Of his films, it's the one that least feels like a homage. His using pre-existing score cuts in his most recent film are part and parcel of what those films are. So while I don't like the films as much, I think the music works well. I hope to god he doesn't use pre-existing score if ever he makes Inglorious Bastards.

I put questionmarks at Tarentino's use of old film music.

I don't. It's use is one of the only reasons to watch Kill Bill as far as I'm concerned.

Tarentino's main problem is that he's trying to be clever all the time. "Hey look at me referencing this old forghotten movie from the 70's that only film geeks know about"

100% agreed, as far as Kill Bill is concerned. I like Tarantino, but I have no time for his over indulgent dips into his own ego. His main problem is, like U2's Bono; he believes his own hype.

I don't. It's use is one of the only reasons to watch Kill Bill as far as I'm concerned.

It's one of the reasons I love Top Gear, but I'm still not convinced it works in films.

100% agreed, as far as Kill Bill is concerned. I like Tarantino, but I have no time for his over indulgent dips into his own ego. His main problem is, like U2's Bono; he believes his own hype.

What hype?

Bono has ended third World hunger and poverty, and we will save us from destroying our planet by wasting our precious natural resources.

And you don't believe that Tarantino is the combination of all filmmakers who came before him, just 1000 time better?

What hype?

Bono has ended third World hunger and poverty, and we will save us from destroying our planet by wasting our precious natural resources.

D'you know what, you're right. If it wasn't for Bono this forum would be censored and hosted in China. Praise the Lord for Bono.

someone needs to put a bullet or two in the back of Bono's head.

Hey man, that's not cool!

yes it is, he is a big turd.

its easy to bring peace to a country where everyone has killed each other.

yes it is, he is a big turd.

That's why he's able to do so much, try to help so many people, but still seem like such a piece of sh*t.

-Tom, who saw Duck Soup the other day, and was surprised how much more he would connect with the Marx Bros. as a kid than now.

I saw Duck Soup recently, and was dissapointed. I greatly enjoyed Night at The Opera, though (despite the love story).

A Night at the Opera is a classic, to be sure. "Haha! You can't fool me; there ain't no Sanity Clause!"

To come back to The Terminal briefly: I was looking around at the old posts to see what people had commented, and I found that apparently the end (and possibly some other scenes?) got changed late in the game. Do we know any details on that? It would certainly make more sense with the scoring of the end (and the track title of "Destiny...Canneloni...and The Tale of Viktor Navorki (reprise)"). I'd really love to see this. I'm not particularly happy with all of the love story, but for me it seemed like that was really the only place where there wasn't something of a happy ending, and so for her to snap out of it at the end would've been more satisfying in that regard. I half expected her to show up at the hotel as Viktor was listening to the jazz band--she knew where he was going and what he had to do. It just seemed like a lot of the early stuff with talking about canneloni and the dinner scene was really setting you up for a happy ending, and in the final cut, it's unfulfilled (again, if the original end had them together, that really explains this). As I said before, if you're going to go unrealistically happy, go all the way with it. I don't mind. :)

Yeah, I think the original ending had Amelia returning to Victor at the last moment or something. I like the film's ending, though, and it's well scored. The over-the-top finale music contrasts ironically with the humble ending.

Yeah, I think the original ending had Amelia returning to Victor at the last moment or something. I like the film's ending, though, and it's well scored. The over-the-top finale music contrasts ironically with the humble ending.

The film's ending is good--or at least it could be. If you place it in the context of the movie being about a man who comes to America to complete something for his father's memory, gets held back, and touches others lives and is touched in the process, then it's a great ending. However, as a happy ending (which Spielberg and the album both seem to indicate was the intention), within the context of what's actually in the movie it doesn't fully satisfy. The Amelia plot is so prominent, and the Planters can revelation comes too late and without enough weight to make it important enough to justify the ending. Also, the middle of the movie, with the romantic set pieces of the dinner scene and the fountain scene, have so much charm and are so nice, that I don't care if a happy ending to the romance is sappy, sentimental, or corny, it just doesn't seem right to have it turn sour after these scenes. These things are particularly revealing with regard to the original intentions for the end. Had Amelia been more of a subplot in the middle of the movie, like Rowena in Mr. Holland's Opus for instance, and the focus been more on Viktor's relationships and the significance of the Planters can, then it would be much easier to have that feel-good quality to it. As it is, you have things going well to the point of her having said good riddance to the adulterer for the sake of Viktor, and then for no given reason except for the sake of them not ending up together, she goes back. It seems like they pulled a Superman IV in this regard, getting frightened by the test screenings and making nonsensical cuts that foul up the movie to a degree after the fountain scene. Of course, I can't really judge as to how nuts any changes outside of the ending really were until we finally find out what exactly was changed.

And when I listen to the music, it really, REALLY sounds like it was meant for the original ending. Try listening to it and visualizing what the original ending might have been like as you listen to "Destiny...Canneloni....and the Tale of Viktor Navorski Reprise"; the track title really does make sense if this was Williams's original intention, which is becoming more and more likely to me. I don't see what "contrasting ironically" does to benefit the finale. If anything, instead of putting the focus on Viktor's accomplishments, the usage of the Love Theme in possibly its fullest, possibly most romantic performance, could potentially lend some acidity to the ending, which I really don't think was the intention.

Just finished watching Deadwood Season 3 and it was just as satisfying as before. The development of Hearst's character into something really terrifying was one of the most interesting parts of the season, as well as following the rest of the excellent characters.

The development of Hearst's character into something really terrifying was one of the most interesting parts of the season ...

Amazing performance. Very intimidating character.

And the best she's ever looked, IMO, is in Intolerable Cruelty.

I happen to like short shoulder length hair, and then there is that air stewardess uniform...and we all know uniforms are hot! <_<

Watched The Darjeeling Limited last Sunday. Good movie, I like the structure and style of Anderson's direction. It isn't anything we haven't seen before from him, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. His sense of humor is great. Amazing soundtrack too, as always.

And the best she's ever looked, IMO, is in Intolerable Cruelty.

I happen to like short shoulder length hair, and then there is that air stewardess uniform...and we all know uniforms are hot! <_<

And unsatisfactory endings due to idiot test screeners, resulting in an inappropriate tracking, are not. :P

Beauty and the Beast. That was the first time I saw it with "Human Again." Although the song is only average it could have remained in the original movie. It fit very well.

Batman Forever. The movie is not as good as I remembered it. However I do like Goldenthal's score. His theme for Batman is pretty good. Who else wants to see FSM do a box set for the first 4 Batman movies?