The FSM/Varèse/Intrada/etc. Suggestion Box

Kendal_Ozzel

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really familiar enough with the film version to judge which version overall was better, but IMO, the original ending for that battle sequence is much better.

Highlander (One of the best scores of Michael Kamen)

I have various versions of that. But quite a bit of the source material is in pieces.

Kamen wrote more than 60 minutes of the actual score + alternates and source music. Officially you can find about 25 or so minutes.

Could be great two-disc edition if combine it with Queen songs.

HIGHLANDER

Several cues are missing the choir I believe.

I'd rather have the film version of the final battle sequence.

I usually would rather the film version of just about anything, unless of course it's tracked. It really bugs me actually when I see a film, then listen to the score, only to find they've replaced an instrument or done some other meddling. I can get very attached to a certain sound with a certain picture.

Why can't these damn directors be grateful for the blood, sweat and (banging at keyboards/sharpening pencils) that these composers go through? :)

A good recent example of this is JNH's I Am Legend. What music there is in the film seems to be either some alternate version or has some element removed, e.g. choir, strings. One section s on the album twice with 2 different orchestrations, ad in the alternate cut of the movie with a third variation.

It gets obsessive sometimes....

Mmm, could you image:

-THE HAT BOX: The 4 Indy scores in 9 discs.

-THE VADER BOX: all SW scores in 14 dics... well, we only really need the "mini"VADER BOX (only the helmet): the precuels in 7 dics.

-THE BOX OF HARRY POTTER GLASSES: HPFS, HPCS, HPPOA in 7 dics. Or if we wait, the THE BOX OF THE SUPERGLASSES: 8 scores of the HP films in 18 (or more!) discs.

-ID4 complete with a replica of the cigar that Will Smith smokes in the movie.

All of them with superb sound and liner notes of Matessino.

Damn, i can´t breath!

It is impossible. Life can´t be so happy. Go to reality guys.

I´m sad now..., I think I´m gonna listen Superman the movie again.

I don't know. But there's a Deluxe Edition of Aliens and we got the lovely 2-disc Alien last year. A sweet treatment for Alien³ might be nice. Just thinking out loud.

I don't know. But there's a Deluxe Edition of Aliens and we got the lovely 2-disc Alien last year. A sweet treatment for Alien³ might be nice. Just thinking out loud.

I'm not sure anything is missing from the CD in fact. And it sounds great.

I wouldn't mind a complete Sphere though. I never noticed much music in the movie I really miss on the album, but since only half of the score made it to the CD, there's bound to be some cool stuff in there.

Alien³? I don't remember there being so much missing from the CD?

There are a few cues.

I was going to mention Alien³. I think it would indeed benefit from a re-master and I remember there being a few cues that were not on the album. Sphere would also be great, it's damn near impossible to track a copy of that one down.

Jaws 4 would be awesome too.

Yeah several cues were looped or re-used thru out the score, so who knows what was really composed.

To be honest there are too many scores I'd like to have re-issued in their complete form and if I have to give up on some of the ones I already have in their original form or "promo version" just to get something that's never been released then I'd settle for that.

If I never see the expanded Harry Potter or Prequel scores but get a legit release of Black Sunday and Sugarland Express then that's how it has to be.

Here's my wishlist of complete/expanded releases and re-recordings:

- Air Force One by Jerry Goldsmith and Joel McNeely - Available as promo (incomplete)

- Air Force One (Rejected) by Randy Newman - Available as promo

- Apollo 13 by James Horner - Available as promo

- Back to the Future by Alan Silvestri - Available as promo with bad sound quality

- Beowulf by Alan Silestri

- Captain Blood (Re-recording) by Erich Wolfgang Korngold - OST has bad sound quality

- Chicken Little by John Debney - Available as promo

- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Witch, the Lion and the Wardrobe by Harry Gregson-Williams - Available as promo (incomplete)

- Conan the Barbarian by Basil Poledouris - OST could do with expanding and better sound quality

- Conan the Destroyer by Basil Poledouris - OST could do with expanding and better sound quality

- Ducktales: The Movie by David Newman - Available as promo with bad sound quality

- First Knight by Jerry Goldsmith - Available as promo

- The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (Re-recording) by Miklós Rózsa - OST has bad sound quality

- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by John Williams

- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by John Williams

- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by John Williams

- Van Helsing by Alan Silvestri - Available as promo

- Hocus Pocus by John Debney - Available as promo

- Hook by John Williams - Available as bootleg with bad sound quality

- Independence Day by David Arnold - Available as promo (incomplete)

- Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark by John Williams - Available as bootleg with bad sound quality

- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom by John Williams - Expanded bootleg available

- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade by John Williams - Available as bootleg with bad sound quality

- Jurassic Park by John Williams

- The Lost World: Jurassic Park by John Williams

- Lair by John Debney - Expanded bootleg available with questionable sound quality

- Mulan by Jerry Goldsmith - Available as promo

- The Mummy by Jerry Goldsmith - Available as promo

- The Mummy Returns by Alan Silvestri - Available as promo

- Peter Pan by James Newton Howard

- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl by Klaus Badelt

- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest by Hans Zimmer

- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End by Hans Zimmer

- The Polar Express by Alan Silvestri - Available as promo (incomplete)

- Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow by Edward Shearmur - Available as promo

- Star Trek I: The Motion Picture by Jerry Goldsmith - Available as promo

- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan by James Horner

- Star Trek III: The Search for Spock by James Horner

- Star Trek V: The Final Frontier by Jerry Goldsmith

- Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country by Cliff Eidelman - Available as promo

- Star Trek VIII: First Contact by Jerry Goldsmith - Available as promo

- Star Trek IX: Insurrection by Jerry Goldsmith - Available as promo

- Star Trek X: Nemesis by Jerry Goldsmith - Available as promo

- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace by John Williams

- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones by John Williams

- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith by John Williams

- Starship Troopers by Basil Poledouris - Available as promo

- Stuart Little by Alan Silvestri - Available as promo (incomplete)

- The Time Machine by Klaus Badelt - Available as promo

- Timeline by Brian Tyler - Available as promo

- Timeline (Rejected) by Jerry Goldsmith - Available as promo

- Troy (Rejected) by Gabriel Yared - Available as promo

- Under Siege 2: Dark Territory by Basil Poledouris - Available as promo

- White Fang 2: Myth of the White Wolf by John Debney - Available as promo

- X-Men 3: The Last Stand by John Powell - Available as promo

- Star Trek IX: Resurrection by Jerry Goldsmith - Available as promo
What?
LOL! Woops. Fixed that now. Silly me. ;)
You want fries with that?
I am asking for too much, am I not? Oh well; I don't really expect much of my list to actually be released any time soon. But I do think these are worth to be released at some point in the distant future.

- Star Trek IX: Resurrection by Jerry Goldsmith - Available as promo

What?

Actually it was the first run at ST:9. It involved Kirk coming back to life and was going to be an epic with the original cast signing on.

Then the studios decided to make a totally dumb film and scrapped the idea all together...................

;)

I'd break it down by series, actually 3 seperate releases.

ST:TMP deserves a release on it's own, then the rest of the original cast movies and then a NG box set for their films.

Not bad, but certainly had room for improvement. I still like them though.

I recently rewatched Star Trek: Generations for the first time in years. It's not bad. As a Nex Generation movie, it's quite good, in fact; the problem is, there's a whole nother part of the movie, you know, the Kirk stuff. And most of that is just not very good. (Am I really expected to believe that the captain of the Enterprise-B is an incompetent buffoon? How could such a poor officer EVER rise to the rank of captain? Ridiculous.) Once Picard meets Kirk in the Nexus, the movie just falls apart. It's a shame, as the movie ultimately does no justice to either crew: Kirk's story is brought to a poor conclusion, and the TNG storyline is sullied by a too-obvious attempt to pass the baton where no passing of the baton was ever really needed.

But there is still a lot of the movie that works liike a charm. And I still like Dennis McCarthy's score; I rather wish that he had been given the pooprtunity to keep working on the movies.

Yeah, it does seem like Kirk got a bit of a red-shirt offing there, didn't he? Has anyone seen the two fan edits, one where they made it so he didn't die, and the second where they eliminated him entirely? I'm curious as to how well both work.

No, you don't. It's just not big enough. He needs to be alone on the bridge of the Enterprise, flying, firing, and swearing at a swarm of...well, the Klingons are the good guys now. The Borg suck. A Jem'hadar fleet?

Not to mention the awful time travel reset button.

BTW as far as the Star Trek music goes...remember what I said earlier in the thread...

Star Trek is controlled by Paramount and everyone here damn well knows how stingy they are when it comes to anything related to Star Trek. I really doubt that FSM, Varese or Intrada will be able to release any form of complete scores for the Star Trek movies.

Yes I know Sony released the 20th Anniversary for Star Trek The Motion Picture but I remember reading a while back that even they had one hell of a hard time releasing just that because of Paramount.

So basically what I'm saying is don't ever count on anything Star Trek related...while it maybe nice to dream about it but it will never happen.

Ya your right. The Star Trek franchise is just too big for a label like varese or intrada. Paramount could really care less about releasing these scores.

Actually both Horner Star Trek scores are expensive these days. I've seen Star Trek II go up to $70 and sometimes higher. Yes you're right about Star Trek IV being expensive too. I'm glad I rebought all my Star Trek scores when I did. The only one I never had on CD was Nemesis and that was my first time buying it.

Well, throw my unrealistic hat in the ring for Blue Box treatment of Trek. And not just Goldsmith. I really want the whole of II and III.

I'm a new guy, so apologies in advance for possible breach of etiquette. But why are there "leaked" tracks of Trek almost all the Goldsmith stuff, but nary a peep on missing tracks from the Horner scores? Just curious. (I'd BUY them if they'd SELL them.)

Whoa. Just looked at Amazon. Trek II is for sale new but III is not? And I could pay for my Blue Box and an extra by selling my Trek IV CD? What a world!