The OFFICIAL Indy IV Score Thread

chinaismine

Did anyone else looked through this review and see Hans Zimmer's name in it?

Yes, I expect that Koray will be quite pleased with the way the reviewer has characterized Zimmer's work. :)

So this is how John Williams music dies... with thunderous Hans Zimmer power anthems.

Our worst fears have been realized.

No one else in this craft nowadays would dare to apply the wide variety of musical registers that characterize this new Indiana Jones. The reason is very simple: such a work demands of the composer a culture, a level of formation and especially a creative genius that are cruelly lacking in the current generation of film composers, more comfortable in the vocabulary of advertising lyricism prone to Hans Zimmer. Owing greatly toMozart, the motive in Major ré of Mutt (The Adventures of Mutt) presents a succession of ultra fast descending chords, that besides being a true challenge for the orchestra's virtuosity, serves as support for the Raiders March facing the sonorous aggressions of Irina Spalko. This last one showcases trully unique musical colors, proving if necessary that Williams is the last very big creator of living themes. Melancholic, noble and threatening, evoking an ambitious and tragic Russia, the leitmotiv of Spalko indicates a complexity of extremely rare writing, with disturbing chromotisms which are perfectly reflected by the unpredicable, yet pertinent, candences. This complexity is dessimulated behind uniform rhythms and accompaniments of canon (?), helping to deeply anchor the melody in the unconscious of the listener. The juxtaposition of the three melodies, that compete among themselves throughout the first half of the album, also features of course phenomenal action cues, that will leave a lasting mark on the saga (Jungle Chase, notably).

Hm wanted to play Irinas's theme but who ever wrote this made some mistakes.. and anyone who reads music will know what I mean..

I tried to put the notation down into a computer program and encountered the same problem.

Ok it's official: With that last paragraph, I am in full fanboy mode.
Wowzers, this is AWESOME!!!!!!!!! I'm so pumped for this score right now, I don't know how to hold off until the movie!

Amen! :)

We have at last the leitmotiv of the Skull of Crystal, and this one risks not being as beloved by the exclusive fans of big sweeping themes (not a direct translation). Based on an inverted and slightly retouched version of the Ark theme, theme that makes anapparition in track 6 (I really can't translate this, too many musical terms -- pour les musiciens, le Crâne de Cristal : arpège si blanche, fa bécarre noire, si noire à l’octave supérieure – l’Arche : fa dièze blanche, fa bécarre noire, si noire à l’octave inférieur), Call of the Crystal is probably the most subtle theme of the series (not a good translation probably, here), and drowns progressively the episode in a mood of pure nightmare. The whole second half of the disc is left thus in a very dark mood, supported by action pieces on the limit of atonality (Serious Robbers and its tribal rythims, Secret Doors and Scorpions and its strident piccolos, Ants! and his strong fight between the orchestra and the percussion). With some very unusualmoods (The Journey à Akator allows itself even a Peruvian parenthesis) and full epic touches of which Williams is the consumate master, The Kingdom of the Skull of Crystal is therefore of beautiful lesson to be learned by the current generation of rising film composers (can't understand the next portion). let's just hope they can make the most of this lesson.

That's it. Not a perfect translation (not even a good one), but I'm sure some members will be able to improve on it.

I'm still trying to reckon with this phrase: ...Call of the Crystal s’impose comme le leitmotiv le plus flippant de toute la saga...

"Flippant"? In the context of the surrounding paragraph, I can't decipher what the author means by that. As far as I know, "subtle" wouldn't be an accurate rendering.

I'm still trying to reckon with this phrase: ...Call of the Crystal s’impose comme le leitmotiv le plus flippant de toute la saga...

"Flippant"? In the context of the surrounding paragraph, I can't decipher what the author means by that.

CotC appears to be the most "flippant" leitmotif of the entire saga...

Can that be right?

Shoot, why didn't I pay more attention in school French?

Flippant can actually be translated in French Slang as cowardly, fearful. So I interpreted it as being a theme that is not very showy, not in your face. That's why I used "Subtle"

Flippant can actually be translated in French Slang as cowardly, fearful. So I interpreted it as being a theme that is not very showy, not in your face. That's why I used "Subtle"

I did not know that. That sounds like a plausible interpretation, then. Thanks!

This is, without a dount, one of the most eagerly awaited scores since 1999 (you remember, The Phantom Menace), and we have it at last between our hands.

Man i read that, and thought the score had leaked in the previous page! :)

The description sounds like a fan dream, lest hope it's true :)

Thanks for the translation Merkel (you even translated the 'La' in Shia's name ;) )

Furthermore, it would seem that those who've hoped that Williams would jettison his modern sound for his return to the franchise will be disappointed.

No big suprise there.

We need a French man here!

And that's never been said by anyone in Europe before!

Were is Olivier?

it was a facinating read, thank goodness I grew up in a french speaking family, and attended French mass.

Merkel did a fine job, as did Alan.

who doesn't love the insult of Hans Zimmer, its really quite disrespectful of him.

but acccurate

"Flippant"? In the context of the surrounding paragraph, I can't decipher what the author means by that.

CotC appears to be the most "flippant" leitmotif of the entire saga...

Can that be right?

Shoot, why didn't I pay more attention in school French?

One could interpreted it as "completely opposed" to the style of the rest of the themes.

That's my interpretation of it .The second half of the album beeing plunged in ebony darkness and atonality is kind of worrying

Sounds exciting.

I'm not worried.

After all, the bug scene from ToD and the rat scene from LC were also scored atonally...

JW is sticking to tradition, that's all.

I'm not worried.

After all, the bug scene from ToD and the rat scene from LC were also scored atonally...

Hmmm...I thought it was common knowledge that JW never scores anything atonally.

"atonal jungle rythms" ,ebony darkness....hmm,I hope we don't get an album filled with Padme's Ruminations and missing half of the great epic tracks.

I'm not worried.

Hmmm...I thought it was common knowledge that JW never scores anything atonally.

Besides Star Wars, you don't get more avant garde than that.

From what I understood, I think the point the reviewer is trying to make is that Indy 4 is a very dense and detailed score, the product of a real composer, so it's much different than the current standard film scores produced by contemporary Hollywood composers.

I didn't need this review to have a confirmation about this. JW is on a whole different and superior level than most, if not all, of his peers.

Personally I don't think Williams went back to his so-called "80's sound" for this score. It's a fact that a composer can never "go back" in compositional terms, but he always have to go forward. I'm sure he did the right thing for the movie and that it will be an exciting work full of great things. And I'm sure I will not be disappointed :P

So I am back home again...

Here is Irinas Theme... at least what I think it is. Because like Josh pointed out, it was written down with a wrong clef at the beginning (in g) and it made no sense at all... now I've written it in the bass clef and this is how it sounds... sounds good to me.

http://rapidshare.com/files/111064788/Iriana_b.mp3

That's my interpretation of it .The second half of the album beeing plunged in ebony darkness and atonality is kind of worrying

the credits suite is still in that half :P

"atonal jungle rythms" ,ebony darkness....hmm,I hope we don't get an album filled with Padme's Ruminations and missing half of the great epic tracks.

Maybe it's TLW like...

Sounds exciting.

Yes it does.

I skimmed Merkel's translations, I want to wait to actually hear the score before I know too much (and I'm sure not using MIDI renderings for my first listen), but what I've seen sounds very promising. As if there was any doubt.

Well, there was, but not by me.