FSM's Indy Podcast

Morlock

I'm just not all that interested in a score for a dark fantasy sex comedy, or whatever it is. I haven't seen it.

Look, I've yet to really listen to or even hear close to half of the scores Williams has written over the last 10 years:

War of the Worlds

Munich

The Terminal

Catch Me If You Can

Minority Report

A.I.

Angela's Ashes

The Lost World

Like I already wrote, Eastwick is far down on my list of new scores to familiarize myself with anytime soon.

I'm not even all that familiar with many of his all time greats. Though I've been catching up on the Indiana Jones trilogy over the last few weeks. (Yes. I'm referring to them as a trilogy. Bite me.)

I've got work to do. ;)

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly a score I have very little intention of hearing anytime soon.

Too bad. It's better than the first two Harry Potter scores.

no its not.

"The Ballroom Scene" and the "Dance of the Witches" alone are vastly superior to anything in either of the two HP scores. Furthermore, WOE was an original score for Williams, versus SS and COS which are nice, but often uninteresting, retreads of The Lost World, Hook, the SW prequels, and WOE. "Harry's Wondrous World" is a beautiful piece, but any score that waits until the end credits to deliver the best it has to offer can't be all that amazing.

Sorcerer's Stone is superior to Witches, and Hook. SS isn't a retread of Hook in any form. It is the best score of the 21st century. Witches is a fine score but not a masterpiece.

I guess Superman isn't amazing because its best piece the Love Theme is at the end.

no its not.

"The Ballroom Scene" and the "Dance of the Witches" alone are vastly superior to anything in either of the two HP scores. Furthermore, WOE was an original score for Williams, versus SS and COS which are nice, but often uninteresting, retreads of The Lost World, Hook, the SW prequels, and WOE. "Harry's Wondrous World" is a beautiful piece, but any score that waits until the end credits to deliver the best it has to offer can't be all that amazing.

Sorcerer's Stone is superior to Witches, and Hook. SS isn't a retread of Hook in any form. It is the best score of the 21st century. Witches is a fine score but not a masterpiece.

I guess Superman isn't amazing because its best piece the Love Theme is at the end.

I'm not saying Witches is a masterpiece. I'm just saying it's better than SS and COS. And SS isn't anywhere close to being the best score of the 21st century. It's not even the best Williams score of the 21st century. It wasn't even the best Williams score of 2001.

As far as Superman goes, I think a case could be made by the brave that there are one or two cues in the score before the end credits that are pretty mind-blowingly amazing, beginning with the "Main Title." What cues in SS even come close to the brilliance of "Harry's Wondrous World?" None.

no its not.

I'm not saying Witches is a masterpiece. I'm just saying it's better than SS and COS. And SS isn't anywhere close to being the best score of the 21st century. It's not even the best Williams score of the 21st century. It wasn't even the best Williams score of 2001.

Indeed!

Overall, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's (Philosopher's) Stone is easily Williams's weakest opening salvo to any movie franchise, but the composer nonetheless rises to the occasion with a distinctive and memorable title theme that ably captures the tone of at least the first few installments of the series: the mischief, the mystery, the (fanciful) malevolence. I definitely recognize "Hedwig's Theme" as a landmark achievement in Williams's career.

Sarcasm again?

Nope, although I'm probably overdue. ;) Frankly, I have pretty mixed feelings about Williams's 2001 scores, but, I have to say (again) that between the two scores, he wrote a set of themes ("Hedwig's Theme" and the themes in A.I. for Monica and the Blue Fairy) that are head and shoulders above anything else he has written this century.

Yeah, I wish they'd used the love theme instead of that annoying tune for the Lois and Supes flight scene.

Wow this thread has really derailed from it's original intent!

To bring it back on track, Lucas Kendall's liner notes from the expanded ROTLA call the medallion theme, well, the medallion theme, but in the podcast they refer to it as the B section of the Ark Theme. Thoughts?

Kendall's notes also refer to a "discovery theme" in both In The Idol's Temple and The Map Room: Dawn (which BTW is a silly title because the scene occurs at 9am not at dawn), but this theme isn't mentioned in the podcast. Thoughts?

There's also a recurring theme in both In The Idol's Temple and the unreleased breaking through the wall track.. kinda like an adventure theme or something? That also wasn't discussed...

The "discovery theme" is certainly interesting. I never really thought about it before, but it is the same motif. Now how great would it be if he reprised these themes from the next Indy film?

Ted

I'm just not all that interested in a score for a dark fantasy sex comedy, or whatever it is. I haven't seen it.

Look, I've yet to really listen to or even hear close to half of the scores Williams has written over the last 10 years:

War of the Worlds

Munich

The Terminal

Catch Me If You Can

Minority Report

A.I.

Angela's Ashes

The Lost World

Like I already wrote, Eastwick is far down on my list of new scores to familiarize myself with anytime soon.

I'm not even all that familiar with many of his all time greats. Though I've been catching up on the Indiana Jones trilogy over the last few weeks. (Yes. I'm referring to them as a trilogy. Bite me.)

I've got work to do. :cool:

You really do need to take time and listen to those scores.

Wow this thread has really derailed from it's original intent!

To bring it back on track, Lucas Kendall's liner notes from the expanded ROTLA call the medallion theme, well, the medallion theme, but in the podcast they refer to it as the B section of the Ark Theme. Thoughts?

Kendall's notes also refer to a "discovery theme" in both In The Idol's Temple and The Map Room: Dawn (which BTW is a silly title because the scene occurs at 9am not at dawn), but this theme isn't mentioned in the podcast. Thoughts?

There's also a recurring theme in both In The Idol's Temple and the unreleased breaking through the wall track.. kinda like an adventure theme or something? That also wasn't discussed...

thats the beauty of this place, making sure that threads mutate into something different over pages.

Yep i noticed that.

War of the Worlds

Munich

The Terminal

Catch Me If You Can

Minority Report

A.I.

Angela's Ashes

The Lost World

I've got work to do. :rolleyes:

You really do need to take time and listen to those scores.

No kidding. But Crystal Skull comes first. :P

War of the Worlds

Take your time getting this one.

The Terminal

This one's great!

Catch Me If You Can

This one's fantastic!

Minority Report

A.I.

These are great!

The Lost World

Great!

I don't think it's fantastic, but it's very unique.

Does anyone know why this podcast is not up on the FSM podcast page? I was able to listen to it via the link on the front page of jwfan, but it's still not listed on FSM's site. What's the deal?

Does anyone know why this podcast is not up on the FSM podcast page? I was able to listen to it via the link on the front page of jwfan, but it's still not listed on FSM's site. What's the deal?

Are you using this URL: <http://www.fsmpodcast.libsyn.com/> ?

^ That's the one on jwfan's main page. But when I log into FSM itself, it's not listed on their Podcast page.

My guess is that it's an oversight on their part.

Perhaps FSM ninjas broke into the Paramount archives and stole the Temple of Doom master tapes for use in their podcast.

Paramount is now exacting its revenge.

Who says they couldn't? The FACT is they DID NOT!!! They went in specifically for a Williams score. Nothing more, nothing less. Proving once and for all that he really is the greatest composer ever.

I reckon it would be about half and half. Everyone praising Zimmer would now be praising Goldsmith and vice versa.

Just a recommendation for when things get a little slow around here, that's all. ;)

Marc should add the Z word to the filter. Have it replaced with Goldsmith.

Hm. I should then have every mention of Goldsmith replaced with the Z word.

Just for a laugh.

Hey guys just wait till next year, its no use overhypping about the april's fool.

It will came when it does.

Live with it.

I couldnt help it :lol:

Really how many posts about this matter?

I rather talk about indy IV. or unreleased Indy scores.