BLUMENKOHL

Star Trek vs. Star Wars  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek vs. Star Wars

• Star Trek
    • Star Wars
    • I'm An Indecisive Loser
    • I Decisively Hate Both Equally

The age old, most uncreative debate on the planet....

I have a feeling Star Wars will win, this being JWFan....but what the hey.

Star Trek for me, its many hours became a part of my life. Where Star Wars was exciting summer material, Star Trek taught me ideas and gave me my heroes growing up.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it is clearly Star Wars.. growing up with the Soundtrack 2LP Album and watching the movies.. totally out of order! (Jedi... Empire... and very lately... Star Wars)

I always enjoyed the films, books, toys, Videogames

Star Trek just fo me is the most boring thing on earth

Hmmm.... The Original Trilogy was sooooo good, but the prequels were so bad... And ST had First Contact!!! How can I not pick ST?

Hey, don't forget Wrath of Khan. :P

"Kaaaaaahn!"

I agree, but, in my opinion, nothing quite meets up to First Contact. And ST had it going good for them! And Insurrection came out...

Han Luke and Leia vs Kirk Spock and McCoy.

C3PO and R2D2 vs Data and Mr. Scott

Chewie vs Chekov

Obi Wan vs Picard

Padme vs Uhura

Wedge vs Sulu

The Enterprise sensors saw the massive space station before any visual sighting. Soon the Enterprise was in range.

It was mammoth, the size of a small moon, nearly 1800 kilometers in diameter.

Mr. Data is that another Dyson Sphere.

No sir its much too small. Incidently Captain it appears to be powering up to fire.

Raise shields Mr. Data.

Shields up.

A massive powerbeam lashed out and struck the Enterprise. There was a violent explosion of light completely enveloping the Enterpirse. Still her shields held.

In the pre Borg days the Enterprise might have been destroyed, but now.

Return fire Mr Data, arm quantem torpedos, phaser on maximum, take out her weapons.

The Enterprise unleashed a volley of phasers and torpedos, one struck a small vent port and did not detonate until well inside.

After a series of massive internal explosions the massive space station exploded.

Star Trek is definitely my favorite franchise. While Deep Space Nine being my favorite series. Deep Space Nine had the best story arcs and over all acting than any of the other Star Trek series in my opinion.

The only thing I really really like about Star Trek is the Original Series, and there were only 3 seasons. Haven't seen any of the newer ones, but I have no desire to.

Star Wars, on the other hand, is great. All six films are fantastic (yes, even AotC).

I too love DS9 though I prefer TNG, and I think DS9 has the weakest Captain

The only thing I really really like about Star Trek is the Original Series, and there were only 3 seasons. Haven't seen any of the newer ones, but I have no desire to.

Star Wars, on the other hand, is great. All six films are fantastic (yes, even AotC).

Well if you say it it must be true.

I'm a far bigger fan of Star Wars, and it collectively means a lot more to me than Trek.

Narrow down Trek to just DS9, the movies, and the occasional good eps of TOS and TNG, and I'll vote Trek. Not by much though. And neither would be close to tops of a "favorite sci-fi universe" list.

I too love DS9 though I prefer TNG, and I think DS9 has the weakest Captain

TNG > Voyager > Original Series > DS9 > Enterprise, in my humble opinion

sorry no way is voyager better then the original series, or DS9

and I should have finished my sentence I think DS9 has the weakest captain except for Enterprise.

also he got better once he went Bald.

Star Wars.

Star Wars was what I first latched on to as a kid so I grew up with the OT. Trek came a little later and while I liked it, I don't think it was nearly as strong as SW (movies wise). As far as shows go, well, SW doesn't have any TV shows yet. Trek wise, I've seen a few episodes from each show. Entertaining, so we'll see if SW can live up to that.

I love elements of both, but for quality over quantity, nothing in Trek comes close to matching the heights of Star Wars. Then again, I also think FIRST CONTACT can only be considered good if an hour or so is cut from the running time.

I have not seen a single second of any Trek episode or movie in my life, but after seeing all six Star Wars films I feel the urge to vote for the former.

That's sad you have no desire to see the other series. Your missing out on some good stuff. Also check out the 10 films if you haven't yet.

Btw elmo if you are serious about not having seen any of the star trek tv episodes or movies you should. You might like it better than star wars.

Star Wars alone trumps the whole Star Trek series. Add Empire to it and nothing comes close.

Unfortunately both series have over done it and flooded the market with junk. To me Star Trek is Kirk, Spock and McCoy. TNG had it's moments but it owes alot to the original series.

Well if you say it it must be true.

Yes, my word is law.

That's sad you have no desire to see the other series. Your missing out on some good stuff. Also check out the 10 films if you haven't yet.

I've seen Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Wrath of Kahn, The Search for Spock, and The Undiscovered Country, I forgot to mention those, as well as the Original Series.

Star Wars. It is a subculture of our JW fandom,as is Potter and Indy

:blink:

Just to add spice to the thread...

Honestly, analogy wise, I'd say Star Trek is like John Williams and Star Wars like Hans Zimmer.

Ouch.

Star Wars has lightsabers. Nuff said.

All who voted Star Trek suck.

See relevant thread on fanboyism.

I'd have to say Star Wars. I like more of the Star Trek movies, but I can accept the concept of never seeing any of them again. I can't say the same about SW. That being said, I do derive pleasure from a lot of ST, and I've been thinking about revisiting TMP one of these days. It can't be as bad as I remember it.

That's easy, Star Wars has or had some moments of greatness while Trek doesn't. Star Wars is the most influential special effects film ever while Trek didn't influenced didley.

That's easy, Star Wars has or had some moments of greatness while Trek doesn't. Star Wars is the most influential special effects film ever while Trek didn't influenced didley.

I'd say Trek was more of an influence and inspiration to young people wanting to work in the field of science.

given the fact that Star Wars was influenced by Star Trek your post is negated, try again buckoo

I think Star Wars has been more successfully realized on screen but I think that I find the Star Trek universe more interesting. Just more potential for really interesting, scary, alien things. Star Wars is a sort of legendary fable like King Arthur or Lord of the Rings. Places inhabited by humans in some distant time or place far removed from us while Star Trek is an optimistic view of our human future. Not that it would be anything like Start Trek but that it could be.

I'm also a bit burnt out on Star Wars at the moment. I could go a long time before the series is revisited on screen because I feel I've seen enough of it. But even after the Rick Berman led rape of the Star Trek concept I feel much more excited to go back into the Star Trek universe at the moment. Speaking of Star Trek on TV I feel they really wasted material after DS9 by making Voyager, a show contemporaneous with DS9 and TNG, and then Enterprise, a show which attempted to go back to the origins of the Federation.

In my opinion they should have gone further into the future, like 2-300 years after the Next Generation era, and shown us what was happening with the Federation. Would it still be in existence? Would it be larger? Would mankind have evolved idealistically or would something have caused the Utopia to collapse? So much potential yet they wasted it giving us more of the same.

I actually don't see much of a Star Trek influence in Star Wars, except for the fact they are both set in space.

if you don't think the success of Star Trek in syndication didn't help the creation of Star Wars...

much of the technobabble in Star Wars is directly related to the technobabble in Star Trek.

The funny thing is Star Trek has payed homage to Star Wars in a DS9 episode about the Breen.

Their design was a modification of Leia outfit as Boush in ROTJ.

breen2.jpg

I find both to be wonderful. Both original films gave us 2 of the top 5 scores of the 70's

Well, I do agree the sucess of Star Trek might have paved the way for Star Wars, the same thing could be said about Star Wars and Alien, but I still don't see the thematic or creative connection.

Trek a space western? More of a space twist on the navy.

Firefly fits the term "space western" much better.

regardless what you think Drax, Roddenberry envisioned Star Trek as a Wagon Train in space.

I actually don't see much of a Star Trek influence in Star Wars, except for the fact they are both set in space.

I guess that's enough evidence for some Trekkies.

Anyway, here's the verdict according to the Visual Effects Society:

The most influential effects film ever is...

1. Star Wars (1977)

2. Blade Runner (1982)

3. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) (tie)

3. The Matrix (1999) (tie)

5. Jurassic Park (1993)

6. Tron (1982)

7. King Kong (1933)

8. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

9. Alien (1979)

10. The Abyss (1989)

11. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

12. Metropolis (1927)

13. A Trip to the Moon (1902)

14. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

15. The Wizard of Oz (1939)

16. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)

17. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

18. Titanic (1997)

19. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

20. Jason and the Argonauts (1963) (tie)

20. E.T. the Extraterrestrial (1982) (tie)

22. Toy Story (1995)

23. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)

24. The Ten Commandments (1956)

25. The War of the Worlds (1953) (tie)

25. Forrest Gump (1994) (tie)

25. Citizen Kane (1941) (tie)

25. The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad (1958) (tie)

25. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) (tie)

30. The Terminator (1984)

31. Aliens (1986)

32. Mary Poppins (1964)

33. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

34. Forbidden Planet (1956)

35. Babe (1995)

36. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) (tie)

36. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) (tie)

38. King Kong (2005)

39. Planet of the Apes (1968)

40. Fantastic Voyage (1966)

41. Jaws (1975) (tie)

41. Ghostbusters (1984) (tie)

43. Sin City (2005)

44. Superman: The Movie (1978)

45. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)

46. The Lost World (1925) (tie)

46. Return of the Jedi (1983) (tie)

48. What Dreams May Come (1998)

49. An American Werewolf in London (1981)

50. Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1958) (tie)

50. The Fifth Element (1997) (tie)

... and lookie look! No Star Trek made the list! Oh, poor Trekkies (especially Trekkie Joe). Damn, I'm so evil. Not that I need a list, mind you, let the films speak for themselves. And going forth on movies, I see no influence of Star Trek anywhere.

Alex

Roddenberry's pitch to NBC was that it was Wagon Train in space.

And, for the record, I don't see the real significance in the whole Special Effects angle since effects are only a means to telling the story. That's actually one of the things about Star Wars which got out of hand in the prequels. Lucas became so enamoured with his toys that the he seemed to forget that he was directing flesh and blood actors and not CGI creations. Take away much of the eye candy and what are you left with?

I guess that's enough evidence for some Trekkies.

Anyway, here's the verdict according to the Visual Effects Society ...

1. Star Wars (1977)

2. Blade Runner (1982)

3. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) (tie)

3. The Matrix (1999) (tie)

5. Jurassic Park (1993)

6. Tron (1982)

7. King Kong (1933)

8. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

9. Alien (1979)

10. The Abyss (1989)

11. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

12. Metropolis (1927)

13. A Trip to the Moon (1902)

14. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

15. The Wizard of Oz (1939)

16. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)

17. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

18. Titanic (1997)

19. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

20. Jason and the Argonauts (1963) (tie)

20. E.T. the Extraterrestrial (1982) (tie)

22. Toy Story (1995)

23. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)

24. The Ten Commandments (1956)

25. The War of the Worlds (1953) (tie)

25. Forrest Gump (1994) (tie)

25. Citizen Kane (1941) (tie)

25. The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad (1958) (tie)

25. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) (tie)

30. The Terminator (1984)

31. Aliens (1986)

32. Mary Poppins (1964)

33. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

34. Forbidden Planet (1956)

35. Babe (1995)

36. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) (tie)

36. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) (tie)

38. King Kong (2005)

39. Planet of the Apes (1968)

40. Fantastic Voyage (1966)

41. Jaws (1975) (tie)

41. Ghostbusters (1984) (tie)

43. Sin City (2005)

44. Superman: The Movie (1978)

45. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)

46. The Lost World (1925) (tie)

46. Return of the Jedi (1983) (tie)

48. What Dreams May Come (1998)

49. An American Werewolf in London (1981)

50. Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1958) (tie)

50. The Fifth Element (1997) (tie)

... and lookie look! No Star Trek made the list! Oh, poor Trekkies (especially Trekkie Joe). Damn, I'm so evil. Not that I need a list, mind you, let the films speak for themselves. And going forth on movies, I see no influence of Star Trek anywhere.

Alex

Alex you used to actually post things with substance but this one is mindless, Star Trek isn't about the effects, but you wouldn't know that would you. Star Trek is about so much more. One thing hasn't changed Alex relies on others to make his decisions 4 him rather than actually doing it himself as evidenced by his reliance on these worthless lists by societies no ones heard of. Alex perhaps you should try Star Treks apple to Star Wars orange, and then form a valid opinion, until then your voice is unheard.

I'm just pointing out how alone you are with your views. Thinking that Star Trek influenced the world of cinema with its moralities is quite 'unique', Joe.

Trek a space western? More of a space twist on the navy.

Firefly fits the term "space western" much better.

regardless what you think Drax, Roddenberry envisioned Star Trek as a Wagon Train in space.

Wagon train? Well where are the passengers??

... his reliance on these worthless lists by societies no ones heard of.

Well, since you are only familiar with the Oscars, let me inform you a little, the list is compiled by the leading effects people in the movie industry. The very top! And these people didn't include Star Strek ... for obvious reasons, of course, because, according to you, Star Trek changed the film landscape with its moralities.

Alex

Did you notice Titanic was on that list, God forbid you should give props to that film.

besides its a flawed list Alex, beneath you.

King Kong should be #1 as its influence has spanned so many generations of filmmakers, far greater than Star Wars.

Whats Toy Story even doing on the list? And any makeup effects fan will tell you that the Howling has far better makeup than An American Werewolf in London, or is that Bearwolf in London.

yes but you're list was particulary weak. Although the inclusion of Titanic was dead on. :lol:

What Blade Runner has influenced effects wise I'm still pondering. perhaps you'll enlighten me.

As for Matrix, its influence came and went like a bad clothing fad.