Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

Pieter Boelen

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (John Williams)  

76 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this score?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

yeah, but its fair to still call it star wars, and differenciate it from the SEs. since appart from that is unaltered and part of the Star Wars (original) trilogy.

People with full brain call Star Wars the movie that was released in 1977 and A New Hope the movie that was released in 1997 and further 'bastardised' in 2004.

"Episode IV - A New Hope" was added for the 1981 re-issue.

Neil

On the other hand, back in 1997 they advertised ANH as STAR WARS.

ESB is a hugely different score to SW, but that doesn't make it anything less than a 5/5.

ESB is one of the most orchestrally rich scores in the JW catalogue.

I don't understand only rating it 4.5 stars because you think ESB is better... Personally, I also think ESB is better, but I still LOVE both scores. They are BOTH 5-star scores.

Same here. I think they're both 5-star scores, even though I like ESB better still. Thankfully I consider more scores to be 5-star material than just my one favourite score. :rolleyes:

ESB is a solid 4 maybe 4.5

ESB is 6. It's the best movie score ever written.

no that would be E.T., ESB is a great but lesser score than Star Wars and ET, Jaws, Superman, and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I don't understand only rating it 4.5 stars because you think ESB is better... Personally, I also think ESB is better, but I still LOVE both scores. They are BOTH 5-star scores.

Yes, I don't understand the sudden, constant need to put down one to put up the other. Both are masterpieces, I have no need to start nitpicking to find a reason that one is better than the other, and that is that.

I like ESB more (and ROTJ for that matter) but Star Wars may be the overall better score. I really do think that each score in the OT deserves a five.

My favourite Star Wars score, a splendid listen from start to finish. It isn't, however admired and appreciated, the Greatest. Score. Ever. though.

Superman: The Movie is superior to Star Wars.

SW isn't the greatest score ever. But it's far superiour to Superman, which is an average (perhaps 3.5 star) score with several 5 star highlights (I'd rank it a 4 in total).

That´s the truth (well maybe, ESB is 5,5 stars hehe). And for me Superman and E.T. are also 5 stars. These four are my truly favourites

People with full brain call Star Wars the movie that was released in 1977 and A New Hope the movie that was released in 1997 and further 'bastardised' in 2004.

Wasn't 'A New Hope' added in 1978?

ESB is a solid 4 maybe 4.5

ESB is 6. It's the best movie score ever written.

no that would be E.T., ESB is a great but lesser score than Star Wars and ET, Jaws, Superman, and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Actually I rank both ESB and ET next to each other, with maybe 0.01 point in favour of Empire. Regarding Jaws, Superman and Raiders I put them behind Star Wars in my chart, but it's more like personal preference.

5 stars. Because it was my first Williams album. Because it made me buy another one. Because it started my love for film music. Because it is unlike the other three (or six). Because it was more important to film music than any other JW score.

Karol

What can be said about this score that hasn't been said already? It is without a doubt one of the film music classics and for me personally one of the greatest scores of all time. I give this music 5 stars without hesitation!

I gave it 4.5 stars. Not quite as good as ESB, but there are definetly some 5 star moments (Main Theme, TIE Fighter Attack, Throne Room, Cantina Band, etc.)

With all those stars there's sure to be a star war. :dance:

Uncool daddy-o. :P

Yes, Giorgio. :spiny:

Not with my wife, you don't! :nono:

Speaking of that, have you seen my guide for the married man?

Without that you might end up in another bachelor flat.

Then I can invite Penelope.

Then I can invite Penelope.

Or run off with Gidget when she goes to Rome.

Am I the only one here who compares the A New Hope (I call it that just for Joey and Mark and everyone else's sake) Tatooine fluff music with the Attack of the Clones love fluff music? Neither seem to move the the story forward musically (and I know I will get persecuted for saying that), and neither really offer too much fascinating compositional or orchestrational material. Neither do a great job of incorporating themes or developmental sections. I think they are about equal in terms of musical interest.

All right, fire at will.

Colin Thomson

Am I the only one here who compares the A New Hope (I call it that just for Joey and Mark and everyone else's sake) Tatooine fluff music with the Attack of the Clones love fluff music? Neither seem to move the the story forward musically (and I know I will get persecuted for saying that), and neither really offer too much fascinating compositional or orchestrational material. Neither do a great job of incorporating themes or developmental sections. I think they are about equal in terms of musical interest.

All right, fire at will.

Colin Thomson

Idiot!

Neil

All right, fire at will.

Colin Thomson

Knowing you, Colin, you probably haven't even seen the movies.

However, you bear a slight resemblance to David Tennant, so you're okay in my book.