Happy Birthday George Lucas!

indy4

Wow, Lucas and Zemeckis share a birthday? That's pretty cool.

And I'm going to say it: I'm a Sofia Coppola fan. The Virgin Suicides is haunting; Lost In Translation is nearly perfect; and Marie Antoinette is pretty sumptuous, too. (Coulda lived without the modern music; but since I like almost all of the songs, I didn't mind too badly.)

Seems this is a good day to be born if you want to be a notable director!

I second the motion.

I thought you consider Indy scores to be "boring."

I do, doesn't mean I wouldn't want the complete recordings. I think it's the ultimate JW fan's dream actually. Would any of you rather have anything else other than a complete recordings treatment for Indiana Jones similar to that of Lord Of The Rings?

I second the motion.

I thought you consider Indy scores to be "boring."

I do, doesn't mean I wouldn't want the complete recordings. I think it's the ultimate JW fan's dream actually. Would any of you rather have anything else other than a complete recordings treatment for Indiana Jones similar to that of Lord Of The Rings?

I wouldn't want an expanded or complete score released of something I have no interest in.

Why not?

Romão, who doesn't understand how someone who apreciates the talent of a composer couldn't be remotely interested in hearing more music from him

Family Plot, but other than that, no.

What a surprise, Indy4 mentions Family Plot. :blink:

Hey, Koray asked! :eek2:

Yup, what Merkel said.

Vosk, have you ever heard any of its music?

Nope not even remotely interested in it.

Yeah, like Merkel said, this is a JWFan board, you do like JW, right?

I understand not liking one of his scores, but being uninterested without hearing a note of music?

I've stated many times in the past John Williams is NOT my favorite composer. There are several other board members who are the same way.

Nothing wrong with that. But you're obviously a fan, or else why would you be here?

I'd always be interested in hearing anything by any musician whose work I liked. Whether I'd have the time or the money to do so is another thing, but it seems strange to me to not even be interested.

I've stated many times in the past John Williams is NOT my favorite composer. There are several other board members who are the same way.

...which is why I said you are a JW Fan, an inference I have concluded based on the fact that you visit the JWFANSITE.

I know you like Goldsmith more, remember, I made a thread.

The fact that you are not AT ALL interested in hearing music by a composer you like enough to visit his unofficial fansite surprises me.

Bryant, what did you think of the film (FP)? Your reviews always seem very thoughtful (though I probably won't have time to read it if it's as long as the one for AI in the 2001 thread :blink:)

...which is why I said you are a JW Fan, an inference I have concluded based on the fact that you visit the JWFANSITE.

I know you like Goldsmith more, remember, I made a thread.

The fact that you are not AT ALL interested in hearing music by a composer you like enough to visit his unofficial fansite surprises me.

Bryant, what did you think of the film (FP)? Your reviews always seem very thoughtful (though I probably won't have time to read it if it's as long as the one for AI in the 2001 thread :blink: )

It's one of the Hitchcock movies I'm the least familiar with -- I think I've only seen it two or maybe three times (which reminds me; it's well past time for me to take another run all the way through the Hitchcock filmography) -- but I definitely like it. The last years of Hitchcock's career were troubled -- post-The Birds, let's say -- but I don't think they were by any means a waste. I love Marnie, and though they are definitely weak Hitchcock movies, both Torn Curtain and Topaz are better than most movies from the years in which they were made. I don't think any apology whatsoever need be issued for Frenzy, a disturbing and memorable thriller.

And then there's Family Plot. I love how breezy it is; the tone is just nice. Hitchcock's comedies get short-changed by most of his critics (and by fans, too, honestly), but given how prevalent humor is in practically all of his movies, it's a confusing situation. It feels appropriate to me that his career ended with a wink. And the Williams music fits the movie perfectly. That choral stuff that takes itself just seriously enough to not be farcical . . . beautiful. How on earth this one doesn't have a CD is a mystery.

So yeah, I like it a lot. It's no North by Northwest, but that don't mean it ain't damn good.

I love Marnie, and though they are definitely weak Hitchcock movies, both Torn Curtain and Topaz are better than most movies from the years in which they were made. I don't think any apology whatsoever need be issued for Frenzy, a disturbing and memorable thriller.

Marnie was okay, IMO. The whole mood seemed rather gloomy to me, which I wasn't used to. But it was still an interesting plot and a good film. Torn Curtain was a great film, if a bit long. Anybody else think Addison's score is better than Herrmann's? Haven't seen Topaz, but Frenzy was also great (no explanation needed here).

And then there's Family Plot. I love how breezy it is; the tone is just nice. Hitchcock's comedies get short-changed by most of his critics (and by fans, too, honestly), but given how prevalent humor is in practically all of his movies, it's a confusing situation. It feels appropriate to me that his career ended with a wink. And the Williams music fits the movie perfectly. That choral stuff that takes itself just seriously enough to not be farcical . . . beautiful. How on earth this one doesn't have a CD is a mystery.

I've always loved Hitchock's sense of humor in his films--from lines like "We all go a little man sometimes," to the whole police chief/mother's meals scenes in Frenzy. I've been noticing that this aspect of Hitchcock's films is commonly mirrored by Burton, who is my second favorite director.

Having said that, I found Family Plot to be slightly dissapointing. It certainly has its moments, but in the end, the best part of it, IMO, is the score (and I agree with what you wrote about it). It's by no means a bad film, and I've seen worse from Hitchcock (believe it or not, I found The Birds and The Trouble With Harry to be borefests). But I like your thoughts about Hitchcock ending his career "with a wink."

For me, it will never be able to touch the greatness of Vertigo, Rear Window, Psycho, and North by Northwest, and it was definetly a step down from Rope, Frenzy, Dial M For Murder, etc. But still, it's not a bad film at all.

Well, the interesting thing about Hitchcock is that he just really made very few bad movies. Some of the silents are tough to get through, but some of them are true gems. Jamica Inn is a dud, and Under Capricorn is a bit of a dud; other than that Topaz, a highly confusing and uneven (though occasionally brilliant) film, is probably his worst. I think you can make a case for every single one of the others.

I like the Addison score for Torn Curtain, and I also like the Herrmann music. If I had to pick which score I like best, I suppose I'd go with Herrmann; but that's probably just a Herrmann bias kicking in. I also should admit that that's another of the movies I've only seen two or three times; and while I have both CDs, they're not on my frequent-play list. In other words, I don't really know what the hell I'm talking about.

I've heard other people say they are bored by The Birds. It's one of my favorites. Some of the best visual storytelling ever put on screen. Tense as hell for the third act. And The Trouble With Harry cracks me up. Other than The Birds, my favorites are most of the standards (Vertigo, Psycho, Rear Window, North By Northwest). I also feel very close to both Mr. and Mrs. Smith (a fine screwball comedy starring the gorgeous Carole Lombard) and the Farmer's Wife (a sweet silent romance that practically nobody has ever seen). I also love Lifeboat, and The Wrong Man and I Confess . . . but really, I love almost all of them, and I like all but a small handul of the rest. I could go and on, but that's for another thread (which might even already exist).

Happy birthday, George! You're cool, too!

Happy belated Birthday Mr Lucas, Sir.....

I've heard other people say they are bored by The Birds. It's one of my favorites. Some of the best visual storytelling ever put on screen. Tense as hell for the third act.

Seconded.

Greg - Prequel liker.

Well, the interesting thing about Hitchcock is that he just really made very few bad movies. Some of the silents are tough to get through, but some of them are true gems. Jamica Inn is a dud, and Under Capricorn is a bit of a dud; other than that Topaz, a highly confusing and uneven (though occasionally brilliant) film, is probably his worst. I think you can make a case for every single one of the others.

I didn't like Under Capricorn ( :)), but I haven't seen the others you mentioned.

I've heard other people say they are bored by The Birds. It's one of my favorites. Some of the best visual storytelling ever put on screen. Tense as hell for the third act.

I think it has some knock-out scenes. Especially the one where she's sitting on the bench, with a playground with one or two birds on it in the background. The camera follows a flying bird that goes to land on the playground, revealing TONS of them. I love that. And a lot of the attack scenes, as well as a couple others are pretty cool. But for me, the film spent way too much time focusing on pointless little things that really really slowed it down. And I don't like how the film doesn't have a true ending to it, there's no explanation for the attacks (though arguably, Hitchock gives the explination in the trailer).

And The Trouble With Harry cracks me up. Other than The Birds, my favorites are most of the standards (Vertigo, Psycho, Rear Window, North By Northwest). I also feel very close to both Mr. and Mrs. Smith (a fine screwball comedy starring the gorgeous Carole Lombard) and the Farmer's Wife (a sweet silent romance that practically nobody has ever seen). I also love Lifeboat, and The Wrong Man and I Confess . . . but really, I love almost all of them, and I like all but a small handul of the rest. I could go and on, but that's for another thread (which might even already exist).

These are my favorite Hitchocks (I haven't seen many) in order from best to worst:

1. Rear Window

2. Psycho

3. Vertigo

4. North by Northwest

5. Rope

6. Dial M For Murder

7. Frenzy

8. The Man Who Knew Too Much

9. Torn Curtain

10. Family Plot

11. The Birds

12. The Trouble With Harry

13. Under Capricorn

I may have forgotten a few.

Happy birthday, George! You're cool, too!

:lol: Whoops, we got a little off topic there...

Greg - Prequel liker.

;) Same here!

• 12 years later...

I saw that today is George Lucas' 77th birthday and thought to myself, "I wonder if 11 years ago anyone on JWFan made 'Execute Order 66' jokes for his 66th birthday" and was very disappointed to find that they did not (unless the forum search has failed me once again).  Do better, 2010 JWFan.

Anyway, hbd gl.

Also, today is my eldest son's 4th birthday.