IJ4: Track 3 - "The Adventures of Mutt"

Bowie

03 The Adventures of Mutt [Concert Suite]

0:00-0:20 Three pronounced orchestral hits introduce "Mutt's Theme," first with a glimpse of

the melody on horns, then the "Descending Motif". With exhuberance, they then begin to be pieced together, rising from the lower to the upper strings, as if Mutt is simply too energetic a character to be restrained.

0:20-0:53 "Mutt's Theme" is exposed in full (the melody followed by the Descending Motif),

and repeated.

0:53-1:16 The "Sidekick Theme" -- here introduced on woodwinds and repeated with brass --

comprises a short rising melody and a canonic variation of Indy's Theme, depicting

the budding relationship between Indy and Mutt.

1:16-2:00 Mutt's Theme and the Sidekick Theme are presented again in full,

both slightly expanded. Again, the orchestra pieces together Mutt's Theme.

2:00-2:23 Mutt's Theme and the Descending Motif are presented and developed again,

this time with Indy's Theme superimposed on top.

2:23-3:12 Mutt's Theme again on trumpets, the Sidekick Theme on horns, fragments of Mutt's

Theme, the Descending Motif, Mutt's Theme and the Sidekick Theme are

recapitulated in that order, followed finally by a coda juxtaposing the Sidekick Theme with the Descending Motif, and ending proudly with -- again -- three orchestral hits!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, this is the second highlight of the album, next to Irina's Theme. It doesn't come quite close to the catchyness of Scherzo for Motorcycle - which, by the way, is still my favourite Indy theme after the March - but anyone who thinks Williams "lost it" while hearing this is declaring himself ready for the local mental institution.

The interaction with the Raiders March makes you jump in your seat while you're driving.

I love it! That's what JW had in mind when he wrote it . . . sword-fighting and swinging from vines. The Adventures of Robin Hood!

Could you guys, like, not put track titles in your thread titles please?

No spoilers in the thread titles--that I could understand.

But no track titles? I wonder why these people even come here. I mean, what do they expect? This is a JW fan site! :lol:

This damn board...I wanted to be surprised when I walked into the theatre next week to discover that there was a new Indiana Jones movie out, and now I already know about it!

With regards to the piece in question, it's a lot of fun...sounds like the Williams of the late 80's/early 90's transition period (hence the Hook comparisons). I find what I think you're calling the "Sidekick Theme" to be even catchier than the main theme; it's very "Indy's Very First Adventure."

PS Bowie, I'm enjoying these threads and will probably be referring to your "analyses" as I give the score another listen. ;)

I like the tie-in to the Raiders March here. Not a deliberate progression like in "Anakin's Theme" from TPM which slowly segued into the "Imperial March" at the end, just some quotes in this theme from the "Raiders March".

No spoilers in the thread titles--that I could understand.

But no track titles? I wonder why these people even come here. I mean, what do they expect? This is a JW fan site! ;)

Well, it is a request of Administrator Bulk: http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?s=&s...st&p=431664

I think taking it a track at a time is a good idea, but maybe only title the thread with the track number? Doesn't bother me personally though.

John Williams talks about what inspired "Mutt's theme" here.

It confirms what I was thinking: Williams had a great fun doing this score, you can feel it in every track. It´a shame that you can no wtach his 2 part interview 8it always opnes the first part for me).

Fear not, the title only suggests the adventures of Indy's new dog named Mutt, and is a deleted scene.

How do you know it is deleted scene?

The track is very Hook/Home Alone. I enjoy it very much.

John Williams talks about what inspired "Mutt's theme" here.

It confirms what I was thinking: Williams had a great fun doing this score, you can feel it in every track. It´a shame that you can no wtach his 2 part interview 8it always opnes the first part for me).

Fear not, the title only suggests the adventures of Indy's new dog named Mutt, and is a deleted scene.

How do you know it is deleted scene?

Because Spielberg felt having another dog reference would be tiresome.

Fun little boucy piece! I just sampled the tracks and if I am to pick one out of the whole album this is it. I think it's the closest thing that comes to a concert piece on the album. The rest seems to be all incidental music (except the Raider's march which isn't new).

The opening with the horns reminds me of the Cowboys Overture, and the fast strings sounds a little like part of Tchaikovsky's 4th. I can hear the similarities to Hook too, and maybe a little of Far and Away.

After a few listens, I realize that The Adventures Of Mutt is not only the highlight of the album, but may be the single most memorable composition Williams has written in the last 8 years. I love it!

It's been growing on me too. I like how it has a bit of a "vintage" sound, while still being representative of Williams' modern style. I hope it appears in the film more than on the album.

my question: Where does the music from this track appear in the film? I hear parts of it in the Jungle Chase, but that was it. The "secondary theme" does not seem to be used at all.

my question: Where does the music from this track appear in the film? I hear parts of it in the Jungle Chase, but that was it. The "secondary theme" does not seem to be used at all.

Yeah, the sidekick theme . . .

What theme was used when Mutt first appeared? I know, SOME theme was used, but I'm not sure whether it was this.

I wonder if the Raiders March renditions in the Jungle Chase where the notes were changed, but the rhythm retained were done for Mutt as well. I recall this accompanied Mutt's Tarzan swinging moment.

Other than the clever utilization of the Raider's March, this theme sounds so unimaginative and derivative to me. It's basically an exercise in sequencing, just climbing up and down scales. It's not a catchy melody at all. And it does NOT fit the character of Mutt in the slightest. I like, in principle, connecting it to Robin Hood. But besides the Jungle Chase scene, Mutt is nothing like Robin Hood whatsoever! This is too cute and whimsical to fit a young man/greaser like Mutt.

Other than the clever utilization of the Raider's March, this theme sounds so unimaginative and derivative to me. It's basically an exercise in sequencing, just climbing up and down scales. It's not a catchy melody at all. And it does NOT fit the character of Mutt in the slightest. I like, in principle, connecting it to Robin Hood. But besides the Jungle Chase scene, Mutt is nothing like Robin Hood whatsoever! This is too cute and whimsical to fit a young man/greaser like Mutt.

I 100% disagree.

My favorite track on the album. The motorcycle sequence should have been scored with this.

I might have thought something like this on my first listen, but the track grew on me with a vengeance.

Talking about the music only, it's a fun track and I enjoy the "themes" within it. I really wish it was in the movie more and I relish it every time it's played. I really can't get enough of this track, as well as the other two new concert pieces on the album. It's a great way to kick off the CD.

As far as how it ties into the character . . . Mutt is somewhat of an outlaw. He's not the big, bad greaser that he pretends to be and that's revealed on how he acts around Indy and his mother when the **** hits the fan. Mutt's fairly smart and is good with a sword. He's courageous (almost blindly so) and generally wants to do good. He looks out for those he cares about. Granted, not much is revealed about his character in Crystal Skull, but you get an idea (surely they'll expand on it if a 5 is ever made). Sure, he puts up a tough-guy front but in his heart, I think that's where you might find his theme fitting like a glove.

It doesn't appear in the film at all; It's a concert arrangement

What theme was used when Mutt first appeared? I know, SOME theme was used, but I'm not sure whether it was this.

Nothing special plays when he first appears

I might have thought something like this on my first listen, but the track grew on me with a vengeance.

Yeah, same here. I didn't love it from the beginning. But after listening to it at least a dozen times on the album and after hearing it twice at the theater, I can't stop listening to it! ;)

As far as how it ties into the character . . . Mutt is somewhat of an outlaw. He's not the big, bad greaser that he pretends to be and that's revealed on how he acts around Indy and his mother when the **** hits the fan. Mutt's fairly smart and is good with a sword. He's courageous (almost blindly so) and generally wants to do good. He looks out for those he cares about. Granted, not much is revealed about his character in Crystal Skull, but you get an idea (surely they'll expand on it if a 5 is ever made). Sure, he puts up a tough-guy front but in his heart, I think that's where you might find his theme fitting like a glove.

Yeah, I completely agree. Mutt isn't an outlaw, really, but a rebel . . . a wannabe outlaw. I think he's a typical kid who grew up with only one parent. But in his heart, he is just like Indy (River Phoenix!), a good guy. He gets himself into all sorts of troubles and adventures, but not because he wants to but because that's part of his character. And he's terribly vain about his hair.

As stated earlier it is too whimsical but it also feels out of place in an Indiana Jones film. It feels like it belongs in Harry Potter or some other kid's fantasy film.

Wow it's funny you say that, one of the people I went to see JW with in Boston the other night wasn't super familiar with his stuff, and she told me afterwards that she thought the Indiana Jones 4 piece (Adventures of Mutt) sounded just like all the Harry Potter stuff he had just played before it to her...

As stated earlier it is too whimsical but it also feels out of place in an Indiana Jones film. It feels like it belongs in Harry Potter or some other kid's fantasy film.

It was from his early draft of the GoF score!

I think this is NOT really a theme for Mutt, but just music reprenting Mutt's lifestyle. He's a bouncy, restless, effervescent guy who likes to fence and swing on vines (if the opportunity presents itself, that is) and who yearns for adventure. I think that's what this track is all about.

Yeah, it was originally written as Quidditch World Cup music.

It's the theme he was going to use for the Beijing Olympics until Spielberg backed out.

Or

It's a rejected theme from Hook.

Yeah, it was originally written as Quidditch World Cup music.

It's the theme he was going to use for the Beijing Olympics until Spielberg backed out.

Or

It's a rejected theme from Hook.

Either way, I am glad we eventually heard it ;)

The wacky dissonance starting around :55 in this track bugs me. It evokes images of slapstick clowns in a circus.

If by not giving proper respect you mean not gushing over every minute, then yes, I'm glad I don't do that.

By giving proper respect, I meant actually not bitching about it every minute. ;)

Again, this theme isn't Mutts theme per se, but a theme for the scene where he fences and swings on vines. The rushing scales refer to the physicality of fencing, but can also be seen as a musical depiction of the abrupt, hot-temperedness of Mutt's character. I think this latter point can be made fairly convincingly, considering that the scalar motif more than anything else, is what becomes Mutt's motif in the film ("A Whirl Through Academe" case in point).

"The Adventures of Mutt" is a concert piece that expands on the swashbuckling music, while also allowing Mutt's heritage to shine through, letting us somehow glimpse "Indiana Jones" in some of Mutt's actions.

Another aspect that this concert version presents, pertaining to Mutt, is a general sense of restlessness. And on many levels. Sure, the music is quick and virtuosic, but what else? It is also a musical illustration of not having found oneself! This is made very plainly obvious in the first few bars alone! Every time we think we've settled for a tonic, the scalar motif "fences" our attention towards another key. And Mutt is a young, unfinished character.

I think Williams's musical handling of Mutt is one of his most strikingly masterful achievements yet.