The first impression is NOT decisive!

Jarbas

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't quite like Star Trek VI's score when I first heard it on cassette tape. It took quite a long time for that one to grow on me. Now with the nearly complete score it's really grown on me. I consider it one of Eidelman's greatest.

It's a good thing I heard Planet Of The Apes (I suppose he means Elfman's) after Spider-Man because otherwise it would have really ruined Spidey for me.

I'm pretty sure Marian meant Jerry Goldsmith's POTA.

Speaking of that does anyone else remember MacDonald's ST:TMP kids happy meals? :(

I can only imagine how bored those kids were at the theater if they were suckered into watching the movie too. :P

Speaking of that does anyone else remember MacDonald's ST:TMP kids happy meals? :(

I can only imagine how bored those kids were at the theater if they were suckered into watching the movie too. :P

I was one of those kids, and I can promise you that I was anything but bored. Still one of my favorite movies.

I'm one of those kids to. I was 11 when I saw it in Dec. 1979. Yes it was long and tedious but visually it was impressive on the big screen

I'm in the small camp of people who feel the director's cut didn't really do anything to improve the film other than add some more eye candy. I still wish they would have included the original and extended versions on the DVD.

Oh well maybe when they get to the Blue-Ray release it will have all three versions.

I'm in the small camp of people who feel the director's cut didn't really do anything to improve the film other than add some more eye candy. I still wish they would have included the original and extended versions on the DVD.

The editing is much improved too. And I for one love the new effects shots.

I wish the original cut had been included, too. However, you can still see all the original effects shots that got replaced -- they're located somewhere in the special features.

I just love the movie, period. I love how mysterious and awesome V'Ger is. The idea of a space ship that size still kinda blows my mind. I love how the entire story is bascially a reflection of Spock's character.

It's one of the few instances in which Star Trek possesses a true sense of wonder, and yet -- to me at least -- it doesn't feel misplaced. Kirk and company aren't overly frightened of this thing, nor do they immediately set out to destroy it. They are explorers in this movie, and while they are focused on a mission, they aren't too focused to appreciate the awesomeness of a technology that advanced. Vintage Star Trek, in many ways the purest of all the movies.

Not to mention the score. Absolutely one of THE best scores ever.

I will grant that the Enterprise flyby scene goes on a wee bit too long, though.

I will grant that the Enterprise flyby scene goes on a wee bit too long, though.

no it doesn't, just listen to the music, and you know it doesn't. Thats why IMHO, the track Enterprise is simply the greatest film track of all time. Goldsmith's finest, finer than even JW's finest: Love Theme from Superman.

no it doesn't, just listen to the music, and you know it doesn't. Thats why IMHO, the track Enterprise is simply the greatest film track of all time. Goldsmith's finest, finer than even JW's finest: Love Theme from Superman.

Better than the Flying Sequence? Never! Well, I still adore the score.

I always felt that McCarthy's "Kirk's Death" was the most powerful singular piece of film music for it's length and duration, and given in context of the film. I still do to this day...

You know . . . I can't say I disagree with that. It's one of the scenes that gets credit with turning me into a film-music fan.

I always felt that McCarthy's "Kirk's Death" was the most powerful singular piece of film music for it's length and duration, and given in context of the film. I still do to this day...

I like that score a lot. It's a shame that Dennis McCarthy seems to have been one of the people to get scapegoated over the poor reception the movie got; I think he could have gone on to do some fine scores to the later movies, too. (Not that Goldsmith didn't do pretty well; he did.)

You know . . . I can't say I disagree with that. It's one of the scenes that gets credit with turning me into a film-music fan.

you know we all think of movies being about the visuals on the screen and sometimes they are too long, but in this case I think the scene is about the music, and correctly so, Lean felt this, and I think most of us who love the scene, and the music, feel this even though we may not even consciously think of it.

I cannot for the life of me understand how Goldsmith didn't get his 2nd Oscar for this amazing score.

It is one of my favourite scenes of the movie. Love the model. I heard the score and saw the movie very late, something like year ago so before I knew only the main theme, which I liked, but not that much. Enterprise is the first arrangment of it that I heard in the context of the score. And it was a blast! Probably that's a main problem with scores to modern spectacles: there's no time to breathe, no time for wonder, just endless 30-second transition cues (like in the prequels). I wish movies today contained scenes as slow as this sequence so we could hear more this kind of epic music.

I also agree on ST VI being a grower.

Karol

I cannot for the life of me understand how Goldsmith didn't get his 2nd Oscar for this amazing score.

Just add it to the long list of Oscar screw ups when it comes to best score.

Well, I successfully gave up even thinking about Oscar for more than two years. I'm not even aware of who was nominated and who won, in any category. I'm a happy man now :rolleyes:

Karol

I like that score a lot. It's a shame that Dennis McCarthy seems to have been one of the people to get scapegoated over the poor reception the movie got; I think he could have gone on to do some fine scores to the later movies, too. (Not that Goldsmith didn't do pretty well; he did.)

McCarthy would have been my second choice to score the new Trek after Giacchino.

And personally, I could enjoy the Enterprise flyby even without Goldsmith's score thanks to that wonderful model- the most beautiful spaceship ever to grace the screen. Although I wouldn't enjoy it as much. :rolleyes:

McCarthy would have been my second choice to score the new Trek after Giacchino.

And personally, I could enjoy the Enterprise flyby even without Goldsmith's score thanks to that wonderful model- the most beautiful spaceship ever to grace the screen. Although I wouldn't enjoy it as much. :rolleyes:

that wasn't a model, it was a 1000ft long spacecraft in orbit. IT WAS REAL.

Some thing like the "Spruce Moose"?

And personally, I could enjoy the Enterprise flyby even without Goldsmith's score thanks to that wonderful model- the most beautiful spaceship ever to grace the screen. Although I wouldn't enjoy it as much. :P

Some thing like the "Spruce Moose"?

for you my phaser is not set to stun.

Joe wondering who is the grim reaper for the grim reaper

you know we all think of movies being about the visuals on the screen and sometimes they are too long, but in this case I think the scene is about the music, and correctly so, Lean felt this, and I think most of us who love the scene, and the music, feel this even though we may not even consciously think of it.

From a storytelling standpoint, it really IS about the music, because the music in that scene is a direct reflection of Kirk's emotion. You really feel his love for that ship, that way of life. People who knew the series would have understood that immediately, but I guess people who weren't in the know might have been confused and put off by it.

The Oscars were on a real ball-thump of a roll from '79-'82, as far as music goes; firs tthey pass up Williams for Superman, then they neglect Goldsmith for Star Trek, then Williams gets the shaft for Empire and Raiders in consecutive years...?!? I love the theme to Chariots of Fire, so I'll maybe let that one slide; the rest, unforgiveable.

But the Oscars get more wrong than right as a matter of course and in every category, anyways; the best you can hope for most years is that they just manage to land it in the general vicinty of something worthy.

The good thing is that years from now I imagine stuff like Fame, Midnight Express, Babel or any other of these so called best score winners won't even be remembered yet Williams and Goldsmith's music will still be in the public's minds.

yes but it is still the highest honor a film composer can receive, it should never be dismissed

yes but it is still the highest honor a film composer can receive, it should never be dismissed

Yeah, it's still the most prestigious thing in the business -- everybody wants one, whether or not they admit to it.

I still love the Oscars (and sometimes hate them) because they're such a massive part of the ongoing history of Hollywood; they can still make careers and legends, and that's always fascinating.

Yeah, it's still the most prestigious thing in the business -- everybody wants one, whether or not they admit to it.

I still love the Oscars (and sometimes hate them) because they're such a massive part of the ongoing history of Hollywood; they can still make careers and legends, and that's always fascinating.

It's as prestigious as the MTV awards. It has no artistic significance. The only reason everyone wants one is because it can quadruple your salary.

Alex

It's as prestigious as the MTV awards. It has no artistic significance. The only reason everyone wants one is because it can quadruple your salary.

Alex

That's a thoroughly incorrect statement batting leadoff there. Once you're an Oscar winner, you are forever referred to as an Oscar winner, and you're taken more seriously than you were before. It means something to audiences; it means something to filmmakers; it means something to critics; it means something to historians. On the other hand, you don't hear people referred to as MTV Award winners. Maybe you will someday, but it hasn't happened yet.

I wouldn't agree that the Oscar has no artisitic significance; it's significant in that it can put an art movie into the public eye in a way it wouldn't necessarily have been able to do without the extra attention. Trust me, people do go to see movies just because they're nominated for Oscars. There may be no inherent artistic significance in winning an Oscar, but the nomination alone gets some movies seen by people who otherwise wouldn't give a crap. How is that insignificant?

Also, I don't think winning an Oscar necessarily does much to raise one's salary. It certainly doesn't hurt, but I don't think a pay increase is the reason why people want to win one. They want to win one because it's the industry standard for having done a good enough job to be worth remembering. It's immortality, in perception if not in fact; and next to a shot at immortality, a pay raise pales.

Once you're an Oscar winner, you are forever referred to as an Oscar winner, and you're taken more seriously than you were before.

Being put on a pedestal can just as much work against you, artistically, that is. Once you've been put up there, the danger of falling off will always play a part. Critics value the Oscars highly, you say? If I had a dime for every time a critic was baffled by the odd choices made by the Academy, I would've quadrupled my income a long time ago. The Oscars are nothing but a popular circus where the major players of the movie industry are patting themselves on the back. It's good for movie earnings because the masses happen to like a circus: We showed you stars and glamour, now go and see our movies. However, the attention is merely temporarily. And it's definitely no tool for measuring art.

Alex

However, the attention is merely temporarily. And it's definitely no tool for measuring art.

Alex

While this may be true for actors who have a name recognition, anyway, it gets interesting with artists nobody knows like film music composers...introduce an unknown as 3-time OSCAR-winner and it will certainly raise eyebrows which wouldn't move a millimeter if you'd just say film music composer XY.

While this may be true for actors who have a name recognition, anyway, it gets interesting with artists nobody knows like film music composers...introduce an unknown as 3-time OSCAR-winner and it will certainly raise eyebrows which wouldn't move a millimeter if you'd just say film music composer XY.

The people who don't know that a film composer has 3 oscars simply don't care or have already forgotten about it. All the public wants are stars! And when they get tired of them, Hollwood gives them new stars. Glamour sells.

Alex

Alex....Come on, you know thats bull.

its pure foolishness if you think its no more prestigious than the MTV awards.

then you argue that its a popular circus,

If popularity were the defining factor then Transformers would have won last year.

If anything the Oscars need to pay attention to popularity, at least every once in awhile

• 2 years later...

Took me a year to warm up to Fellowship Of The Ring.

And I assume it will take me a lifetime to warm up to Return Of The Jedi.

FOTR was easy

ROTJ was pretty easy also, its alot like TLC where its more inspirational then ESB or ANH

It will take me several lifetimes to get into SW.

I completely dismissed Ice Age 3 to begin with. Seeing the film then magically unlocked it. Unfortunately the same can't be said for #2. Just can't get into it.

I got a massive headache while trying to listen to Armageddon and I'm being serious.

Never again will I let a friend talk me into buying a score.

Lord of the Rings are my absolute favourite scores of all time, they were instant loves. However, some took me forever to warm up to, like Memoirs and The Lost World. The only score that I actually went from "dislike" to "like very much" is The Last Airbender. When I first heard it, I did not like it at all, but I enjoy it very much now. I'll probably get shot for saying this, but I still have yet to warm up to E.T. Oh well, perhaps someday...

I got a massive headache while trying to listen to Armageddon and I'm being serious.

Never again will I let a friend talk me into buying a score.

I love that score. The boot opens it up even more, although I've never listened to the whole thing in one sitting.

You've only got yourself to blame Mark... what made you think you'd suddenly like the score to a loud Bruckheimer blockbuster? :)