Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

Williams' music sounds bad in Superman Returns. Other composers just can not pull it off. Ken Thorne and Courage didn't win me over, either. I mean, IV does have some alright cues.

Only one man can score Superman.

While that's certainly false, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who could do better than JW. It's certainly possible, especially considering this different take on the character (how different remains to be seen), but it probably ain't Zimmer.

Williams' music sounds bad in Superman Returns. Other composers just can not pull it off. Ken Thorne and Courage didn't win me over, either. I mean, IV does have some alright cues.

At this point it's safe to say: no one can. At least not the way you'd like.

Karol

Alexander Courage and Ken Thorne did an outstanding job with Williams' music.

Frankly it doesn't matter with the new film. Unless a composer, who has the chops (and the power to do what he/she wants) to pull it off gets assigned, it's going to be the typical, modern, contemporary wall paper that grace most action movies these days.

I don't think even Williams can score Superman today to any of your expectations. Times change, brains change, even Johnny.

And if daddy himself can't, who can?

I wouldn't want Williams to revisit Superman. Sadly the one person I would love to see score Superman is no longer with us. I'm sure she would have done something good.

I wouldn't want Williams to revisit Superman. Sadly the one person I would love to see score Superman is no longer with us. I'm sure she would have done something good.

Aye.

Sadly the one person I would love to see score Superman is no longer with us. I'm sure she would have done something good.

Agreed. It'd be nice if her existing work for the man of steel could be released.

did i miss something?

I say this with weight around my heart, but you can't drag Williams' Superman music into this. The project should have it's own life, and the director/crew should not have to feel an obligation to include it. They have the right to do their own thing. Superman existed before 1978.

Most of us think of Superman flying with Williams' music floating around in our heads. It's the association we grew up with, and how we identify the character. It's that way for me, nothing can change that. It's not the director's fault that the theme is so ingrained in pop culture. Turn the page.

Tim

Apparently Zimmer is not actually scoring this:

http://www.slashfilm.com/hans-zimmer-scoring-zack-snyders-superman-2/

I knew this wasn't going to happen!

Apparently Ben Affleck was also considered for directing the new Superman.

Ben Affleck explains Why He Passed On Directing Superman

"With 'Superman,' I think they’re going to do a great version. Chris Nolan is brilliant and they’ve got a great director for it. I’ve love to do something like 'Blade Runner,' but a lesson I’ve learned is to not look at movies based on budget, how much they’ll spend on effects, or where they will shoot. Story is what’s important. Also, there are a lot of guys ahead of me on the list to do epic effects movies."

Alex

Zimmer knows it's gonna be a pretty thankless task. If he uses Williams theme he's gonna get shit for it, if he disregards it he's also gonna take shit for it.

Whoever is getting the job, it's won't be anyone we will like though....

Trust me, Steef, there's a whole world out there who doesn't give a fuck about the music or John Williams. Anyway, Zimmer is not going to do it and I'm glad my instincts were right.

Since Hollywoodland (where he plays George Reeves who played Superman on TV), I'm convinced Ben Affleck is a pretty good actor. Anyway, I hear he's a respected director these days.

I still don't think the present world is waiting for a hero like Supes. I wonder if Nolan and Snyder are realizing this. It's all very iffy. In fact, you can almost call it bold and daring.

Alex

No one really gets it. Donner and co. seemed to with Superman: The Movie. Since then, there was a goofier take in Superman II, Superman III, which absolutely sucked balls and was largely focused on the Richard Pryor character (who the hell's idea was this??), Superman IV, the low-budget really damn poorly-made and childish take on Superman, with some kind of attempt to teach kids about the dangers of the nuclear arms race (???). In the 2000s, Superman became a boring melodrama with all the fun effectively sucked right out of it.

I think they just need to get back to the comic book. Even the current incarnations on the paper seem more interesting than what we're getting on screen. I'm not saying there's a masterpiece there, but there are interesting ideas. I hope they did their research.

For example there was a story where Superman had to battle a today's violent superheroes (it was called What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and The American Way?) and find his way in the modern world (something that SR promised in its synopsis). The Birthright origin is interesting. Or the Grant Morrison All-Star Superman. Though that last one was adapted for an

Karol - who wanted to love Superman Returns, but what he ended up loving is the making of doc.

Whawowa! I've just heard that Snyder completely trashed Goyer's script and that Nolan is no longer producing it. Now that's my dog! (If it's true, of course. Now I gotta find something that backs it up)

Alex

Whawowa! I've just heard that Snyder completely trashed Goyer's script and that Nolan is no longer producing it. Now that's my dog! (If it's true, of course. Now I gotta find something that backs it up)

Alex

Yeah, Nolan is off the picture. This has been confirmed. Not sure about the script.

Apparently it's been reported by hitfixs. It would make so much sense to me if Nolan and Goyer are out. If this is true, then there won't be any new Superman movie coming soon ... which is fine by me.