Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (OFFICIAL thread)

Erik Woods

I did not know that Zimmer used real performers....

Well, they die from being bored out of their minds, so some replacements happen from time to time ... the guy is about to pas out, that's why he's so pale.

Fatty, you're so funny.

But does that comment also apply to an anamorphic restoration of Star Wars?

It's a little different, and I can explain why.

With an anamorphic original Star Wars, we know exactly what we'd be getting. With this release, at this stage, we have no idea what we're getting. People are saying, "I can't wait to hear this" and "I can't wait to hear that" when all we know is that we're getting a little more Raiders music. It's fun to speculate, but I fear some people are going to far and are expecting something as comprehensive as "Superman - The Music" and when they get this set, they'll be disappointed, especially if a favorite cue is left off.

Neil

If that disgraceful 2004 "Star Wars" DVD didn't do that, nothing will.

Not that I condone that kind of behavior, of course.

Neil - who hopes no "deliberate creative decisions" creep into this Indiana Jones release

Yes Zimmer uses a real orchestra, in fact if he just left the music alone after the orchestra records it instead of adding all that other crap he might actually have some decent music.

For once we agree on Zimmer, almost.

He stated in an interview that his recording methods make his music sound sampled when it isn't. However, I believe the films he scores and the desires of directors (I'm looking at you Nolan) are not helping.

At least then they'd have something to complain about and wish George Lucas a slow and painful death, with his balls being fed to chinchillas.

now what does George Lucas have to do with that release?

He stated in an interview that his recording methods make his music sound sampled when it isn't

and wow what a "great" recording method, that rips all the hart and love out of a musicians performance, so that all that remeains is a cold genric sound, that would have been much cheaper when doen with sampls!

If this release is incomplete, it will give us not one, but two things:

1. more music from the Indiana Jones films.

2. Endless hours of debate on this Forum about why they could not release the complete scores.

Releases like the complete ROTK, the FSM Blue Box and Alien got fairly little discussion here, because they were perfect.

No real reason for any back and forth discussion.

and wow what a "great" recording method, that rips all the hart and love out of a musicians performance, so that all that remeains is a cold genric sound, that would have been much cheaper when doen with sampls!

Yes this is a huge beef I have with Zimmer. Even when the actual composition is good, or interesting, the recording is often just poo.

2. Endless hours of debate on this Forum about why they could not release the complete scores.

Releases like the complete ROTK, the FSM Blue Box and Alien got fairly little discussion here, because they were perfect.

Yes the only discussion that existed was like: Ahh its great!!! and.. "Mine arrived today, happy!" :P

The worst thing and maybe the only thing where I would be really annoyed is if they left of Trek to Pankot Palace, The Cliff Confrontation, Portuguese Coast, Power of the Grail

if those aren't missing everything fine!

Where is Joey with his fake tracklist bytheway!?

With an anamorphic original Star Wars, we know exactly what we'd be getting. With this release, at this stage, we have no idea what we're getting. People are saying, "I can't wait to hear this" and "I can't wait to hear that" when all we know is that we're getting a little more Raiders music. It's fun to speculate, but I fear some people are going to far and are expecting something as comprehensive as "Superman - The Music" and when they get this set, they'll be disappointed, especially if a favorite cue is left off.

Neil

Fair enough.

He stated in an interview that his recording methods make his music sound sampled when it isn't. However, I believe the films he scores and the desires of directors (I'm looking at you Nolan) are not helping.

Zimmer has always used a real orchestra, and the synths portion isn't that bad people! Like I've said many times before, if the synths are the only problem you have with his music then just buy a compilation CD where the music is performed solely by an orchestra. Problem is, it loses the oomph and sounds terrible.

Yes the only discussion that existed was like: Ahh its great!!! and.. "Mine arrived today, happy!" :P

The worst thing and maybe the only thing where I would be really annoyed is if they left of Trek to Pankot Palace, The Cliff Confrontation, Portuguese Coast, Power of the Grail

What about "Stealing the Stones," "Belly of the Steel Beast," (complete) "Indy's First Adventures" (complete), "The Bridge..."

Zimmer has always used a real orchestra, and the synths portion isn't that bad people! Like I've said many times before, if the synths are the only problem you have with his music then just buy a compilation CD where the music is performed solely by an orchestra. Problem is, it loses the oomph and sounds terrible.

Sometimes it works okay with the synths, but I generally hate synthetic instruments on a professional work. It's not like they have budget issues--they've already got the orchestra. And if it loses the oomph and sounds terrible when you take away the synth, it's probably because either the performances or the orchestrations are weak. Case in point are the spotty City of Prague Pirates of the Caribbean cues on that one Pirates compilation. Sometimes it's not bad ("Up is Down" sounds pretty good), but the statements of the main theme tend to sound pretty lame--and it's clear that it's not because it can't translate well to live orchestra only.

Neil

I think they can probably get ToD done right....but Last Crusade is another thing ,especially if they are 1 c.d. expanded releases.

anyways I do not want to see any Hans Zimmer releated posts and how great the LotR complete recordings are in this thread

The LOTR recordings are great and set the standard as to how to release a complete recording.

I've heard some of his recording sessions and they do not sound sampled.

All haughtiness aside, those of you who are unfamiliar with the bulk of the Temple of Doom score are in for a real treat (that is, if this set includes any un-released music). It's a non-stop thrill ride from the master of film music at the very top of his game. So much fun!

All haughtiness aside, those of you who are unfamiliar with the bulk of the Temple of Doom score are in for a real treat (that is, if this set includes any un-released music). It's a non-stop thrill ride from the master of film music at the very top of his game. So much fun!

Williams might have had more fun writing this score than any other, you can hear it in the music.

:P

Williams might have had more fun writing this score than any other, you can hear it in the music.

Agreed :P And ToD is just bursting with upbeat action and adventure that it is difficult not get affected by it! JW was really on a roll back then churning such high energy fare from film to film. Fanfare upon fanfare and upbeat melody after melody. I daresay he had a great time writing this although it must have been also back breaking to come up with so much intense and energetic stuff. Imaginative writing all the way. As you say so much fun. You listen to this with a smile on your face :)

Yes this is a huge beef I have with Zimmer. Even when the actual composition is good, or interesting, the recording is often just poo.

Indeed, that's the point.

Zimmer's music sometimes is good, it just sounds bad.

In other words, he's good in composing, but he sucks in everything else.

I'd also really love to get the music when Indy and Henry are tied up in the castle and the room start getting fire. I mean the moment when the Zippo falls on the carpet.

Raiders... what a dust collector.

Have trouble sleeping? Don't worry! We have a solution for you! Who needs sleeping pills when you have Raiders! Out now! In drug stores near you! Soothing relaxing sleep from the first notes. Only Raiders can do that for you!

Yes the only discussion that existed was like: Ahh its great!!! and.. "Mine arrived today, happy!" :blink:

What about "Stealing the Stones," "Belly of the Steel Beast," (complete) "Indy's First Adventures" (complete), "The Bridge..."

Well all I say is that this is the worst case for me if those are missing. If these what you mentioned are on the release and mine are not I would be highly dissapointed.

But If the tracks I mentioned are released and the others not.. I am not that dissapointed.. these are the most important to me

I have stealing stones in perfect quality at home.. I wouldn't be sad if I don*'t get it through this CD

I am very impressed that FattyMcButterpants waited for the 15th page to start discussing Hans Zimmer. That must be a record. He usually summons Zimmer in the first or second page of every other thread. I guess the simple fact that we don't *know* any more about the pending complete/otherwise releases of the Indy scores than we did last week, has compelled this thread to start talking about HIM to keep it going. Holy smokes.

I wonder what color the underside of these Indiana Jones CDs will be? My money is that they'll be the normal silver of most other audio CD releases. Although black or purple will be very pretty, blue will just mean someone has friends with more money than they...

This has been my 666th post. I must now go kill a lamb. I'm in the mood for gyros anyways.

:blink:

his balls being fed to chinchillas.

I believe Chinchillas are herbivores.

Another 'lets attack Zimmer thread' eh?

Wonders will never cease. Yawn.

Well its nice to relieve George Lucas of a little pressure from time to time... :blink:

Even worse than not having your favourite cues would be micro edits deleting part of them

For example one of my favourite parts of the TOD Finale is the very beginning with the music when Indy climbs back from the cliff and everyone laughs .If they cut that intro to start directly with the Raiders March...

his balls being fed to chinchillas.

I believe Chinchillas are herbivores.

Another 'lets attack Zimmer thread' eh?

Wonders will never cease. Yawn.

Well its nice to relieve George Lucas of a little pressure from time to time... :blink:

I suppose even Georgie boy deserves a break, every now and then ROTFLMAO

Sounds great! :)

However, the careful use of the word "expanded" instead of "complete" is (to be honest) not very appealing to me.

Sounds great! :)

However, the careful use of the word "expanded" instead of "complete" is (to be honest) not very appealing to me.

Okay, now pay attention.

Concord first mentioned this set prior to KOCS coming out and they said it would be a 4-disc set.

A CD holds 80 minutes.

There are 4 Indiana Jones films.

All of the Indiana Jones scores are over 80 minutes.

Neil