I love the music for Minorty Report!

Jessie Lohner

I love this score so much! I can't say why exactly, but this is one of the first movie soundtrack I ever bought. I love Sean's Theme especially, but also Psychic Truth, Everybody Runs, and of course Anderton's Great Escape. The first track Minority Report is nice too. Does anyone share this love of John Williams in the Bernard Herrman style with me?

Spyders gives me the creeps, but the music is so effective. I wish I could play the viola like this! :lol:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Minotiy Report" is a phenomenally well written score, and I agree, "Sean's Theme" is hauntingly beautiful. The score is rather underappreciated, although I know that several of the more modern classically oriented posters here, rate and rank it very highly.

A number of (especially two-part) polytonal devices that have since become trademarks (to those who notice them), were first explored here.

Those who know Williams's "Duo Concertante" for violin and viola, will have little trouble tracing a development from "Minority Report", to Munich's "Letter Bombs" , to the duo's final movement (and further, to Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull's "Ants!".

This score features the least exciting action music Williams has ever written.

:lol:

Nuh-Unh!!!! This score is A-MAZING!! And as much as I love Everybody Runs, Anderton's Great Escape my favorite, favorite track is The underwater version of Sean's Theme. I had that floating in my head for about a year.

I like it for the fast staccato strings of Minority Report and the sad romantic feeling of A New Beginning. Indeed, there is something very Herrmannesque about the score (the strings are very dominant).

Overall, I enjoy it. Parts of it are great... but sadly other parts are rather tepid and tedious. In general the main themes are strong compositions. IMHO of course. I listened to it quite a bit after it came out, many repeat listenings, but sadly I haven't heard it in a while. Maybe I should listen to it on my commute home tonight.

I noticed the lack of appreciation for Minority Report around here. I certainly don't think it's a masterpiece, but I find it to be a very solid album. I actually really dig Anderton's Great Escape. The movie was excellent (albeit a bit long) and on a sidenote, I though Everybody Runs fit perfectly in the movie. It's one of the few moments that give me goosebumps (as soon as those strings come into play once Anderton kicks out the window).

But yeah, good album.

It's an interestingly written score that completely does nothing to me. I enjoy Williams' complex writing, but when I listen to MR I feel nothing for the most part. What amazes me is how so much skills put into this score sound so bland to my ear... There are cues that I enjoy - most notably Great Escape, Leo Crow, Sean by Agatha, Finale and A New Beginning, but rest of the score rather bores me....

Haven't listened to this one in ages. Not much outside the thematic material really interests me. Normally I like introspective music, but instead I just found most of it boring. The Green House effect for example - barely noticed anything was playing last time I listened to it.

It's one of my least played JW scores, though I enjoy a few highlights. "Anderton's Great Escape" is actually great for the first couple minutes, making good use of JW's favorite action motif, but it eventually peters out into more generic, typical modern action music.

I really enjoy MR. Some very eerie music with the spyders, some great action music (yes, I'm talking about "Anderton's Great Escape"), the beauty of Sean's theme and A New Beggining...certainly a good JW score, though admitedly there are many dead parts.

I like Minority Report (movie and score alike) a lot. It's been a while since I actually listenede to it, so my memory isn't too specific, but I know that "A New Beginning" is one of my favorite Williams tracks of the decade. Beautiful stuff. I actually listened to this CD before seeing the movie -- something I rarely do -- and was in my car driving around while listening to it. When I got to that track, I had that wonderful feeling I get when initially hearing a piece of music that I know has immmediately become a favorite piece.

Ah . . . remember the gold old days, when it was financially feasible to just drive around listening to music? Good times.

Anyways, the Herrmannesque elements of the score are entirely appropriate: since the movie finds Spielberg working in a Hitchcockian mode, it stands to reason that Williams would be working in a Herrmannesque mode.

So yeah, I like it, too, and I find it curious that so many of this board's long-timers have such a disdain for it. I can understand not loving it, but not liking it at all seems a bit odd to me.

I listened to it earlier this year, but that doesn't count as liking it, I just had to clean a years worth of dust off it, I'll listen again next feb. or march

It's one of my least played JW scores, though I enjoy a few highlights. "Anderton's Great Escape" is actually great for the first couple minutes, making good use of JW's favorite action motif, but it eventually peters out into more generic, typical modern action music.

Like "Ludlow's Demise".

I listened to it earlier this year, but that doesn't count as liking it, I just had to clean a years worth of dust off it, I'll listen again next feb. or march

Ah yes, the yearly romp through the entire John Williams collection. I know it well. I'd never again listen to John Goldfarb, Please Come Home without it.

It's an absolutely brilliant score, what's wrong with some of you?

The word "brilliant" is one that is tossed off far too much.

Neil

If it's in connection with John Williams, my opinion is it's perfectly permissible.

Hahaha, I sound like John Williams! :wub:

Ah yes, the yearly romp through the entire John Williams collection. I know it well. I'd never again listen to John Goldfarb, Please Come Home without it.

Awww <_<

I listen to Cinderella Liberty, Not With My Wife You Don't, and A Guide To The Married Man rather regularly. Mostly just the main title songs which I think are hilarious.

I listen to Cinderella Liberty, Not With My Wife You Don't, and A Guide To The Married Man rather regularly. Mostly just the main title songs which I think are hilarious.

"Hungarian Jungle Music" & "Arrivederci Mondo" rock! I've been listening to NWMWYD and Checkmate a lot lately, I've grown quite fond of them.

Bloody marvellous score...not perhaps a classic, but superb nonetheless...have discussed it recently on other threads but yes, MR lovers are in a minority here....

Greg

"Anderton's Great Escape" is actually great for the first couple minutes, making good use of JW's favorite action motif, but it eventually peters out

I agree. The beggining is great until about 1:30, when it becomes an okay cue.

As a whole, I'd say the score is good, not great, but certainly not bad. It's no where near the brilliance of the other Spielberg score of 2002, Catch Me If You Can.

"Anderton's Great Escape" is actually great for the first couple minutes, making good use of JW's favorite action motif, but it eventually peters out

I agree. The beggining is great until about 1:30, when it becomes an okay cue.

Yes.

Karol